V6 Discussion and questions about the base carbureted or MPFI V6's and the rare SFI Turbo V6.

Power lag and poor mpg

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2008, 11:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: No F-Body right now
Power lag and poor mpg

Hey guys, I hope you can give me a few pointers here. Basically this is what's going on with my car:

- I'm getting about 9-10mpg city, that's with a pretty heavy foot and plenty of redlight-after-redlight traffic.

- When I briskly stomp the gas pulling away from the light the RPM's jump for a second then the engine seems slowly pull up in the rpms after the slight initial jump. No tire spin, unless the front wheels are turned.
Strong in 2-3rd gear in the mid-range, fades out in the upper range like I'd expect. I do NOT think it's anything trans related, that's strong.

History:

- New EGR valve and 02 sensor in 04

- Full engine cleaning with some internal parts (valves, gaskets) replaced in late 03.

- Recently Seafoamed the engine, barely any smoke out the back. Only did it through a vac line and the gas tank.

- Just bought the car 2 months ago. I have 5 years or so in receipts of work done to the car, so I can check suggestions against that if you guys have any.

So, any help on what could possibly be causing my poor acceleration off the line? Like I said, strong once I'm going about 30-40. Even when I'm going 20 or so I can mash the pedal, it downshifts and the RPM's fly up and the car takes of like a bat out of hell. But of the line it just seems bogged down. And I'm getting TEN MILES PER GALLON. WTF?

I plan taking it in to get it looked at and any suggestions would REALLY help.

Old 06-04-2008, 01:38 AM

Re: Power lag and poor mpg

No help?

Sorry if shameless bumps are frowned upon.
Old 06-04-2008, 08:06 AM

Car: 89 V6 Camaro
Engine: 2.8
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.42 open diff

Check for vacuum leaks. Do a compresison test and how did you do the seafoam treatment through the vacuum system. Your supposed to let the motor sit for a few hours.

Changing your driving style will give you better gas mileage. I can get ~20 flooring it everywhere.
Old 06-04-2008, 10:20 AM

Car: 90 RS/90 Z-71/73 Vega
Engine: 3.1/5.7 TBI/5.7
Transmission: 700R4/700R4/350turbo
Axle/Gears: 3.23/3.42/3.42

Originally Posted by 2.8RS
Check for vacuum leaks. Do a compresison test and how did you do the seafoam treatment through the vacuum system. Your supposed to let the motor sit for a few hours.

Changing your driving style will give you better gas mileage. I can get ~20 flooring it everywhere.
to add to this ..have you done a timing chain yet?.close to 80K on the clock I would get it out of there.Make sure your fuel system is good ,good pressure,no leaks from the regulator..mine was leaking and got bad fuel mileage.do some checks its a little easier for people to reply if you give as much info as you can?.
Old 06-04-2008, 12:32 PM

Thanks for all the tips guys.

About the seafoam, a few hours??? Everywhere I've read online it said let it sit for about 15 minutes, and that's what I did (timed it, even). I used the brake booster line, sucked in a measured 1/3 of the can (little over 5oz), and a 1/3 in the gas, as I didn't plan on an oil change soon enough. After 15 minutes I ran it for about 2 minutes, with only a small initial plume of light, slightly blueish smoke, then drove it "briskly."

I try to drive less hard, but I always find my self pushing the pedal down more and more

@jstrdn, nope, nothing with the timing chain, neither did the past owner it looks like from the records he gave me. Would it need to be replaced entirely? Why so? Does it loosen up and throw off timing a bit, or something?

I'd give more info on what I've done... but I haven't done anything!
I just got it 2 months ago, and I'm new to actually doing auto work (although I'd say I've got a fair mechanic inclination).

One thing I forgot to mention was that I smell a slight gas smell when idling. Gas leak somewhere maybe? I think it could be running rich.
Old 06-04-2008, 04:43 PM

You could have a leak somewhere. I smelled gas from my engine but could find no leaks. As it turns out the vacuum hose going to the FPR was sucking a little gas to the TB.

For the seafoam I let mine sit overnight so it soaks in good, there is always a thick plume of smoke from the tailpipe for mimutes.

A stretched timing chain causes the cam to run slightly behind where it should be running and cause poor performance and mileage but I'm running at 146xxx miles with the stock chain and getting 25mpg.
Old 06-04-2008, 08:39 PM

Well I agree with 2.8 ..I have 132K on my ride and I had to replace the waterpump and decided to remove the timing cover anyways.Theres a dampner in between the cam and crank gear that will take up the slack.So people that are checking the chain slack with the dizzy cap off and a socket on the crank isnt the way to check it(I did it this way and thought it was okay)..pull the cover and the dampner and you will see the slop.It made a big difference in the performance..its not a high quality chain either.Funny you say that 2.8 cause I had to replace my regulator the other day ..sucked fuel in the throttlebody it would flood the car after warm up.I want to blame it on Lucas fuel treatment but cant be sure.The other area you might want to check is the Charcoal Canister Solenoid mine was stuck open(big vacuum leak) and it will create the smell of fuel at a stop or light too.Got no check engine light either?..GO figure??
Old 06-04-2008, 09:27 PM

If the charcoal canister is leaking you may as well pull that off. Thinking of this also raises the question of how are your brakes? The brake booster can be a bad vacuum leak also.
Old 06-04-2008, 10:27 PM

Thanks again for all the info guys, good stuff.

My brakes are a-ok. Just got the rear two lines replaced as well as the wheel cylinders (thanks to rust!). I checked the brake booster line as well, and it's on snug.

I'll look into the Charcoal Canister Solenoid and the FPR... but not sure where those two things are and what they look like. Any able to get pics of that for me? It'd be nice.

I'll also look into getting the chain replaced. Would I need a new dampener though? Sounds like that could be a lot of work, more so than a chain.
Old 06-05-2008, 07:30 AM

The charcoal canister is the black thing behind the driver side headlights. Don't pull out the sphere looking thing, the cylinder.

I don't think that the timing chain would be all that difficult actually. Get a Haynes manual if you don't have one already. Get a double roller timing chain and a new dampener, they are only like $15. You will notice that the one in your car has a piece broken off, that's normal for everyone.
Old 06-05-2008, 08:34 AM

gaining access to the chain isnt hard its the bolts that hold on the cover that can be a pain..the torx head ones sometimes get seized ..mine did and had to cut off part of the water pump to get some vise grips on what was left of the bolt.I replaced the torx head bolts with regular ones.Mine charcoal can is behind the pass.headlight area next to the air filter assembly.the double roller is like 100 bucks..but was told the dampner might need some slight mods to clear the chain.