V6 Discussion and questions about the base carbureted or MPFI V6's and the rare SFI Turbo V6.

what am i looking at

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2010, 09:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
what am i looking at

Price wise for the install of a new fuel pump and float?????

and yes i know exhaust rear & tank all have to be removed lol
i'm just looking for a idea b/4 i start looking into shops
Old 04-26-2010, 11:39 AM

Car: 1989 Camaro RS
Engine: 2.8L V6
Transmission: 5-Speed Manual
Re: what am i looking at

Parts for this will be less than $100, although I didn't have to change out my float. Is yours messed up or are you trying to do preventative stuff. I would leave the float alone unless you are sure that it isn't "floating". Problem is gonna be labor. The axle must be dropped down to allow for the gas tank to be totally removed. I had it done once by a shop and it was $500 and that was about 15 years ago! I have always done it myself since then because of the high labor cost (which is understandable of course). It's really nothing tricky other than a bit time-consuming if you feel adventurous. Even going slowly the first time, I had it completed over the weekend.
Old 04-29-2010, 11:54 AM

Car: Camaro
Engine: V6
Transmission: 700r4

unfortunately you can not just fix the float you have to buy the whole sending unit which will run you 234.99 from autozone. 87.99 for the fuel pump and the warranty is only good if you buy a new strainer 9.99.
Old 04-29-2010, 01:03 PM

Exactly. That's why I said that I wouldn't bother replacing the float unless it isn't "floating". Just replace the pump, strainer, & wiring harness and you should be good to go. BTW, the replacement wiring harness that I received didn't quite match up exactly but luckily I tested the pump BEFORE I put it all back together. What a nightmare that would have been! Turns out that I just needed to rotate one of the connectors 180 degrees and it worked. Just install the pump, put a little gas in the tank and connect some lead wires to a battery and make sure that the pump is "pumping". KEEP THE BATTERY AWAY FROM THE GAS TANK IN CASE OF SPARKS!
Old 04-29-2010, 01:22 PM

Also there is a thread some where on this site on how to test the float using a multimeter. It would suck to change just the pump and then have to re-drop the tank. I know this from experience, as I put in a used sending unit only to find out it didn't work.
Old 04-29-2010, 01:51 PM

Good idea! I was re-using my old one which was still working, so I didn't try that but ANYTHING that you can verify BEFORE you put everything back together is worth doing!
Old 04-29-2010, 02:26 PM

Thank you . To bad I didn't have it untill after a weekend of cursing my car and busting up my hands. Turned out to be rust in my tank so now I need a new tank and sending unit and a second fuel pump.