V6 Discussion and questions about the base carbureted or MPFI V6's and the rare SFI Turbo V6.

header update..........

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2000, 09:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
header update..........

heres an update for Graeme or whoever else is interested indoing the 3.4 pacesetter headers for their cars.

I took the headers out to my grandpas house so we could bend them to fit because he has a torch to heat them with. The driver side header comes underneath the oil pan right behind the cross member that supports the engine, then it it heads towards the pssenger side of the car almost rubbing against the cross member. The header has to be bent about an inch or an inch in a half stright back(towards the rear of the car), so it can clear the cross member and have a y-pipe installed easily without rubbing the cross member as well.

While it looks more difficult , the passenger side header is actually easier to bend into place. It rubs against the wheel wheel I believe. All that has to be done is bending the headers back towards the starter and it will fit. Now you will need a custom Y-pipe made.

Be careful when you do this because you could coolapse the header if you get it to hot and try and bend it. The driver side is a little tricky to bend because it curves towards the front of the car, but you have to bend it back towards the back of the car. Just be careful and have someone who is experienced with a torch help you. You'll also need a 4 or 5 foot long pipe to stick into the collector to bend the headers with.

I have the headers ready to put on, My driver side header is on already, I;m getting ready to put on the passenger side tonight, or eraly tomorrow morning then cruise open headered to the muffleer shop. The headers dont include an air pump fitting, so you can plug in your smog pump.
Old 09-18-2000, 02:38 PM
Supreme Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Car: 1986 Firebird
Engine: 2.8 V6
Transmission: 700R4
Sounds good so far, dude! Are the headers following the stock y-pipe routing to some extent? Think a stock y-pipe could be made to fit with some cutting (and not much bending)?

-Tom P (Hot rodded 1986 Firebird 2.8l) from http://www.f-body.net/mailbag/3rd/3rd_mailbag.html message boards
Old 09-18-2000, 03:21 PM

Yes, Tom the headers followa similiar path as the old y-pipe. I got them both on BTW
Old 09-18-2000, 10:26 PM
Supreme Member

Location: First one out of liberty city, burn it to the ground
u gonna get some pics i hope?