V6 Discussion and questions about the base carbureted or MPFI V6's and the rare SFI Turbo V6.

Whistling noise on the 2.8 V6

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2011, 09:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Whistling noise on the 2.8 V6

Well, the "whistling noise" appears to be audible while driving, most notably in third gear. It is a whistling noise, and its consistent with the RPMs. i attached some "Emissions hardlines," and i wonder what else it could be (could it be a pulley?) and well the car performs very well. Someone told me it sounds like a "Turbo whine" and i said thanks because it sounds different lol.

I got good performance, i didnt notice an y vacuum-related hesitation, though it still either does or wants to "Diesel" or "Run on" when shut off hot (sometimes it turns the crankcase over pretty good for a second or two, then shuts off. Will try premium fuel and report back.)

Tips? Suggestions? Its cool but... a part of me feels like gas mileage may suffer. Soo peppy though!

Will wait for responses, did a lot of work to the car the last two days and im proud. Seekign to share and get some responses, since this area is new to me.. and a shop can do it but that takes $$$ (diagnosis.)

Preheater hose? = ON
Air Pipe and Air Check Valve = BLOCKED OFF (put in new of both? Debating)
"Emissons hardlines?" = i attached them.. not sure when the whine started, on wait it started shortly after the water pump went on... i wonder if that has anything to do with it.
Old 04-12-2011, 10:58 AM

Car: 1991 Z28
Engine: 5.7 TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Re: Whistling noise on the 2.8 V6

Check for a plenum gasket leak. Mine was sucking through a blown gasket and I didn't find it until I switched to a polished plenum...
Old 04-12-2011, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by micktroup2
Check for a plenum gasket leak. Mine was sucking through a blown gasket and I didn't find it until I switched to a polished plenum...
Thanks, i will check the Plenum straightaway. Not to sound dumb, but i truly cant picture it or find it (if looking at it i dont know what it is) can you guide me to where this "plenum" that you speak of is and what it looks like? (Mine is likely old and rusted) .. and i dont know where it is, or the plenum you speak of. I willc heck it out forthwith with the Starting Fluid spray test when i know where it is, thank you sir!
Old 04-12-2011, 12:51 PM

Car: 1988 camaro
Engine: cammed 3.1
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 10 bolt 3.42

Thats for mpfi cars
Old 04-13-2011, 10:36 AM

Car: 1991 Z28
Engine: 5.7 TPI
Transmission: 700R4

The plenum is the intake manifold, for want of a better word. It is in 3 parts- top, middle and bottom. Check where the top and middle mate together. But looking at your post, you may have more than one problem. Whistle and 'dieseling' and I doubt they are related. The whistling COULD be related to the water pump- you might have a bad bearing. Best thing to do is get a length of vacuum line and use it as a stethescope while the engine is running. Put one end to your ear and point the other at various suspected spots on the engine until you locate the problem. Good luck.
Old 04-13-2011, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by micktroup2
The plenum is the intake manifold, for want of a better word. It is in 3 parts- top, middle and bottom. Check where the top and middle mate together. But looking at your post, you may have more than one problem. Whistle and 'dieseling' and I doubt they are related. The whistling COULD be related to the water pump- you might have a bad bearing. Best thing to do is get a length of vacuum line and use it as a stethescope while the engine is running. Put one end to your ear and point the other at various suspected spots on the engine until you locate the problem. Good luck.
Im wondering if it is the bearing, and i would like to think it would stop eventually and there arent any coolant leaks i looked, only power steerign fluid leak (small,) and i will check the vacuum lines a third time, btu so far,a side from some disconnected emissions hardlines which seem to give me more power but did not stop the whistling, i think it may be even a brand new Autozone water pump?

I can maybe take a video of the sound. I took one of me seafoaming it. that is not helpful to the sound, but if it is a water pump.. does tha tmean my Water Pump is ok, is it serving its porpose, or will i lose my engine if i keep driving it with a water pump that has that sound? Or is it fine?
Old 04-14-2011, 01:26 PM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 2003 Hyundai Tiburon GT
Engine: 2.7L V6
Transmission: 6-speed
Axle/Gears: 4.41

How tight did you make the other power accessories? Could be an overtightened belt that's stressing worn out bearings that's making one of the noises. Other than that, get a can of starting fluid or even hair spray and spray the vacuum lines and hoses with it. IIRC, dieseling is an indicator of a lean fuel mixture that increases cylinder temps enough to keep burning (more like exploding) the fuel in the chambers. Check to see if you hear the whistling all of the time. If you do, the carb base gasket may need to be replaced.