V6 Discussion and questions about the base carbureted or MPFI V6's and the rare SFI Turbo V6.

VATS Nightmare

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2013, 11:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1992 Camaro RS
Engine: 3.1 V6 MPFI
Transmission: 5 Speed Manual TH-700-R4
VATS Nightmare

Hello, I'm a new guy here making my first post. As the post title says.
I'm having a Nightmare with the VATS security that's making me insane.

I had done the resistor hack, everything working OK for a couple of months with the resistor hack installed, started fine without any troubles, buf a few weeks ago my car didn't started. I took away the resistors to check if they were working, I checked them, and the values were right.
So I ordered a Baker Electronix GM VATS Bypass, I did arrive my package, but I feel uneasy taking away the dashboard to access the ECM, so I just plug again the resistor hack, turned the ignition key and my car started on the first try, I did this three times, all of them worked. This made me think the VATS module was working OK, this was on weekend. Today I started my car normally to get to work, it started at the first try, I arrived at my work, ended my turn. I entered in my car, turned the key... and nothing, didn't started, lights working ok dashboard indicators litted on were: "Check Engine Soon", "INF Rest", "Emergency Brake" and "Security Belt", and "SECURITY".
All remained lit, less the "SECURITY" indicator who litted "on", at the turn of the Key for a few seconds then it turned off.
After that, I was about 1 hour stuck with no luck trying to start my car, I... had... to leave my car at my work parking lot .

Is my VATS module becoming faulty?
If that's, how the heck I remove the dashboard to access the ECM and bypass it with the Baker Bypass module?
Do I need to bypass the starter enable relay too with the resistor hack?

The resistors are working OK, I just checked with a multimeter, and they read 11,800 ohms, wich is the same value the key pellet has (Key Number 15 according to https://www.thirdgen.org/vats_passkey_system).

As a side note: The resistors are "precision resistors (Metal Film Resistors)" rarely the value changes from 11,800 ohms.

My Car Info: Camaro 1992 RS 3.1.

Hope you can help me guys.
Old 09-10-2013, 09:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1991 Camaro RS
Engine: 3.1 V-6
Transmission: Automatic
Re: VATS Nightmare

I don't know anything about VATS but getting to the ECM is fairly simple, under the dash on passenger side, couple of torx screws from the bottom panel under dash.
Old 09-10-2013, 06:46 PM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 2003 Hyundai Tiburon GT
Engine: 2.7L V6
Transmission: 6-speed
Axle/Gears: 4.41
Re: VATS Nightmare

Adjust the ignition switch. If all of the indicator lights are on continuously, the ignition switch is stuck in the "Bulb Test" position.

The VATS has NOTHING to do with the rest of the indicators which are taken care of by the separate modules (SES from ECM, INFL REST by air bag controller, VATS by the module, BRAKE by either the parking brake OR the brake pressure switch in the proportioning valve, and the BELT light by a switch in the driver's seatbelt retractor).