V6 Discussion and questions about the base carbureted or MPFI V6's and the rare SFI Turbo V6.

Flooding/FPR?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2016, 03:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: Sport Coupe
Engine: 3.4 MPFI
Transmission: WC T5
Axle/Gears: 3.42
Flooding/FPR?

For the past two days, I've had a little problem on a totally cold startup.
I crank it over, it tries to run, and stumbles out. The fuel pump is running like crazy every single time I try to start. When it finally starts (after probably 10-15 turns of the key) it's running very rough and reeks of unburned gas. After a few minutes of driving, the richness and roughness go away, and it idles and drives just fine.

I checked codes and got 22, 32, 45 and 54. The backstory on this car is that it is a 3.4 swap with a 252 comp cam, no EGR and I am 90% sure that the fuel relay doesn't work, and that it is getting signal to turn on the gas pump from the oil pressure sensor. I checked the voltage at the TPS and it is within spec and doesn't skip around throughout the range. I haven't checked the resistance on the injectors, because I don't feel like taking the top plenum of for the 50th time, but, I did find a long screwdriver to act as a stethoscope, and could hear all the injectors ticking away, so they appear to be functioning.

Anyway, after all of that, I am beginning to believe that the FPR might be bad, it isn't new, but it is from the 3.4, not the 2.8, so it's around 10 years newer. I took a few vacuum lines off, and didn't smell any gas though, so I am a little stumped. I am not the type to just buy a bunch of stuff and throw it on there, so my question is basically-what do you guys think.