V6 Discussion and questions about the base carbureted or MPFI V6's and the rare SFI Turbo V6.

Stock Exhaust Manifolds for Twin Turbo or Single Turbo Build

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2017, 10:36 PM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Stock Exhaust Manifolds for Twin Turbo or Single Turbo Build

Just wondering if anybody has tried to use the stock exhaust manifolds for a TT setup? There appears to be enough room between the firewall/inner fender well to use an on center turbine and clock the compressor to direct pressure to a front intercooler. I figured a T2/3 flange welded to some mild steel would work to drop the turbo down a little where there is more space.
Old 08-21-2017, 09:14 PM

Re: Stock Exhaust Manifolds for Twin Turbo or Single Turbo Build

seems like a lot of looks. So i will boost the thread a bit since I built and designed by Twin Turbo Z06 12 years ago and made 850 rwhp @18# on 100 octane, 3 bar MAP HPTuners. I think the car is still on HPTuners website when it was making 740 rwhp. I like to gather from other's experience.

Goal is too keep the AC and as many of the parts in stock places as possible.

Anway I was hoping some of the 3.1 turbo experts would chime in as I have been reading about their projects and admiring some of the work I have seen. I don't know really anything about the 60* V6 but the from what I have read the 3.1 seems to do OK with boost and the stock ECM.....that is pretty good news starting out that way. I had the first ATI D1 SC for the C5 and I popped the motor within 3 days the dipstick flew out and sprayed oil like a sprinkler head all over my engine bay.

So I was looking at the R&D from my TTi Twin Turbo kit that eventually became the TTiX it and then some pics of UPPs C5/6 TT kit.

Borrowing from UPP design, it seems like the stock manifolds could be used for a 3.1 single turbo build as there is some room to work with below.

UPP uses "UP Pipes" to route the exhaust to a different location (much closer than the STS kit). In looking at the driver's side exhaust pipe it looks like to me that crossover pipe could be used in merge with the passenger side into a pretty good size T4 flange turbo on the passenger side forward of the catalytic converter. Plus there is no oil filter on that side...so a little more room next to the starter. The challenge will become the oil drain being too parallel to the pan to probably drain correctly. But turbowerx makes a turbo oil scavenge pump and that could be made to work with 12vdc.

Looking to tap into the few V6 turbo innovators I have seen on this board. Mainly from a tuning perspective on the stock motor. Besides bigger injectors, how much boost will the stock ECM handle. I have a 1990 Bird that uses a MAP. I see some go to MAF, which is funny because I went from MAF to a 3 Bar MAP on my Vette to get a better tune. I liked speed density.

In looking at the static compression ratio and not planning on using Alky/Meth injection. Can the stock ECM handle 15# boost on 91 octane? What size turbo do you recommend 60-1, GT35, etc.?

Thanks

Last edited by Shinobi'sZ; 08-21-2017 at 09:19 PM.
Old 08-22-2017, 10:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 83 v6 firebird
Engine: None right now
Transmission: none right now
Axle/Gears: 3.08 one tire fire

I think the highest I have seen people running for boost on a 660/obd I ecm was around 18psi but that was on an 3x00 engine. I believe the iron head guys with ported heads /cam like the gt35. I am running a GM-4 turbo on my 3100 in my c1500 and it works well, but it does have a much better flowing top end compared to a 3.1l iron head.
Old 08-23-2017, 08:38 AM

First thanks for the response and info sharing. Did you simply change the fuel injectors? Did you need a new MAP etc.? What did you do for tuning.
Old 08-23-2017, 09:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 83 v6 firebird
Engine: None right now
Transmission: none right now
Axle/Gears: 3.08 one tire fire

I'm running OBD II on mine, but I think OBD I would have worked better with the 2bar map. I am using 3800 s/c injectors in mine, running 8psi with stock map and MAF.
I am thinking that I may just switch to megasquirt in another year or two.