Wheels and Tires Need help with wheels or tires? Got fitment issues? Have questions about tire performance and handling? Ask all of those questions here!

Wheel adapter, should I be concerned?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2015, 12:43 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 87 IROC
Engine: 5.7L LT1
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 3.27
Wheel adapter, should I be concerned?

I just bought a set of wheel adapters from a local shop. They are made by performance world. They advertise no warrenty or guarantee whatsoever. To some degree I understand and can agree with this however, considering how expensive these were compared to ebay versions which (look more solid) I would hope there would be some guarantee that they won't fall apart the first time I try to accelerate. Before I install and thus commit to keeping these, does anyone have any experience with them? My main concern is that they are drilled for 2 applications (4.5 and 4.75"). That extra hole sure seems to remove a lot of material which I think would only add to its strength if it was not nit drilled. Should I be worried about this? Are the units on ebay at half the price a better choice? I am including a pic.
Old 08-21-2015, 09:17 AM
Supreme Member

Received 56 Likes on 39 Posts
Car: 87 TA clone
Engine: 70/70 Turbo 5.3 LS
Transmission: bullet proof 2004R
Axle/Gears: ford 8.8, 3.55 gears
Re: Wheel adapter, should I be concerned?

Ive seen those. I personally wouldn't use them. I though about getting them actually last week but decided against it.

I just recieved my new 15mm adapters (chinese made) to test them out and see how the quality is, but they are the solid 1 bolt pattern type. Before this Ive run 2 sets of custom billet american made adapters at 1.5" and 1.25" (single bolt pattern) and they worked great. I can't seem to find much of a quality difference between them and these new chinese versions.

I will say that the wheeladaptersusa said they don't make then shorter/thinner than 1.25" due to strength reasons. Yet other companies (USA made will make them as thin as 15mm or 20mm and not hesitate. So I'm on the fence of strength with the thinner 15mm ones I have now. The big thing is that all adapters are made from billet T6 aluminum which is alot stronger than cast aluminum (most aftermarket wheels) so even though its thinner/has less meat they are prob just as strong.

But for the sake of sanity If you don't have a reason for the dual pattern I would return them (if u still can) and run a 1 bolt pattern type off ebay for a little more piece of mind. But they will probably work just fine. Since each wheel supports less than 1000lbs. Same concept as lifting an engine by the carb studs on the intake manifold... 4 tiny 5/16" studs/bolts that screw into aluminum can support the 650-750lbs of a motor, just scares the crap out of me which is why I lift all mine from the heads/block holes.
Old 08-27-2015, 12:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1989 IROCz
Engine: 5.3l LM7 Gen3
Transmission: 4l60
Axle/Gears: 10bolt auburn posi 3.42

I ran 2"spacers for a couple years and never had a single issue. They were the single bolt pattern ebay specials. The big thing is, take the time to torque them to spec 2 times. Torque-drive-remove wheels-torque again and it will be fine.
Old 08-29-2015, 09:33 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 87 IROC
Engine: 5.7L LT1
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 3.27

Yeah they made me nervous, I returned them and have some proper one on order. Thanks for the replies guys.
Old 09-02-2015, 03:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ran these Dudes last time - http://www.motorsport-tech.com/