V6 Discussion and questions about the base carbureted or MPFI V6's and the rare SFI Turbo V6.

REPOST! How to do a Major Tuneup! - FAQTHREADS

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2003, 06:38 PM
Supreme Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Car: 1986 Firebird
Engine: 2.8 V6
Transmission: 700R4
REPOST! How to do a Major Tuneup!

Since it felt like spring today, and I've been thinking "oh my poor car, just wait until summer" for the past month, here's a repost of my major tuneup info. (sigh) I can't wait for summer... maybe I'll even get a webpage up.

And I just have to say it again... remember, Summit won't list parts in their catalogs for v6's; they don't even list every v8 part they carry! You'll have to call and ask for part #s, or search their website, or search the manufacturer's website (like http://www.msdignition.com or http://www.knfilters.com or http://www.energysuspension.com or etc), get the part #, and do a part # lookup on Summit's website. An example part # is #9.8117 in "Red", converted to Summit number (by the part # search) ENS-9-8117R - and we've all got at least one set of these $13 beauties by now, right? RIGHT?!?!

-----------------------------------------------------------
Tom P's Major Tuneup Info: 3rd gen (82-92) F-body series

Here's the Major Tuneup stuff- this covers alot more than a garage would do for you, and it'll wind up to be cheaper (or at least the same price)! First, buy a Haynes 82-92 Firebird (or 82-92 Camaro) manual.. they're about $15 from any auto parts store. I like them alot better than the Chilton's manuals (which aren't what they used to be 25 years ago). And of course, the ultimate manual is the GM Service Manual, available from http://www.helminc.com - I paid about $60 for mine back in 1994.

Replace: Distributor cap/rotor, spark plug wires (use aftermarket), spark plugs, air filter (use K&N replacements), PCV valve, fuel filter, engine oil/filter, auto trans fluid/filter (or manual trans gear lube), and rear axle gear lube (use limited slip additive if required). Check and reset the timing to stock specs (in Haynes manual). Check and reset the TV cable if you have an automagic (in Haynes manual). Do a lube job and get an alignment done- the car will go faster "easier" if the front wheels are straight. Buy a can of "Intake and Throttle Body Cleaner for Fuel Injected Engines" by Gumout (yellow or gray can, with a red cap), and follow the can's instructions to clean out your intake. DO NOT USE CARB/CHOKE CLEANER- this removes the protective coating fuel injected engines have. Put a bottle of injector cleaner or my "red magic" (STP Gas Treatment) into a full tank of good gas.

It's also a good idea to replace your coolant, check your brake fluid level and p/s fluid level, check the belts, and check your brakes while you're at it.

Call Summit Racing at 800-230-3030 for a free catalog, then you can pick and choose a spark plug wire set and get your K&N air filter(s). (You can also find this stuff through their website, at http://www.summitracing.com , but it's not as thorough as the catalog.) When you leaf thru the catalog, you WON'T SEE any parts listed for a 2.8l v6 - you need to call them and ask them for part #'s/availablility. (Same goes with exhaust, etc.) If you're like me, and can't want to wait for the catalog in the mail, call them and order one anyway! Then, go to their website, at http://www.summitracing.com , look up their ignition wires, decide on a brand, and give them a call for a part # and price.

But definately do a tuneup first... you'll see the best improvment from the "fun" parts when your car is in good running condition.

-Tom P (Hot rodded 1986 Firebird 2.8l)
The following users liked this post:
Tibian (01-14-2024)
Old 02-20-2003, 07:47 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
nice... to bad i did mine last week...im to cheap to run airfilters....f um...anyways..thats alot of good info:hail:
Old 02-20-2003, 07:56 PM

Car: 1990 Pontiac Firebird
Engine: 3.1L v6
Transmission: Automatic
please dont tell me your running it without any kind of air filter at all?

thanks for reposting this Tom
Old 02-20-2003, 08:25 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 85 Camaro SC
Engine: V6
Transmission: 700r4
If I was running my SC without filters the motor would be dead in no time, dirt roads bite azz.
Old 02-20-2003, 10:40 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1988 Chevy Camaro Hardtop
Engine: Turbocharged/Intercooled 3.1
Transmission: World Class T5 5 Speed
Hey, while you're at it - replace the water pump. They always die at the most inoportune of times.
Old 02-21-2003, 12:47 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 1986 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am
Engine: 305 Tuned Port Injection
Transmission: The famous 700R4
Axle/Gears: No idea
TomP: What about replacing the COIL @ major tune up process?. I think a new coil will improve the ignition and complete combustion. (It was my experiencie in an old 1966 Pontiac V8).

Regards,

Denis V.
Old 02-21-2003, 01:37 PM

Car: 1987 Trans Am GTA
Engine: 5.7L 350 V8 TPI
Transmission: Automatic 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.27
Ya, i recommend changing the coil, cap, and rotor as well with aftermarket ones like MSD.
Old 02-21-2003, 09:05 PM
Banned

ok i wont tell you im not running air fillters um not..........
Old 02-22-2003, 12:13 AM

and change the O2 sensor. common cause of minor to major problems in driveability, mileage, emissions that never gets replaced in most cars.

in fact, a study done in CA or MA based on their emissions checks (MA keeps records of shops, how much they charge, # of tries until they fix emissions problems, etc) showed that 60-65% of all emissions failures were due directly or indirectly to O2 sensor problems. personally, when i did it, my mileage in an LB9 conv went from 11 in town to 16. after all the other tuneup stuff, it was around 18. but that sensor was the biggest difference.

another thing to think about if you're already doing that much is to buy some bulk lengths of vacuum hose and change any old/dirty ones. in doing so, i found a slight leak at the horn, which may have been the drain near the cruise servo that caused the cruise to always engage a 1-2mph lower than the speed i was at, which my other 2 trans ams didn't do....
Old 02-22-2003, 07:32 PM

Car: '99 Ranger (Need 3G)
Engine: 2.5L
Transmission: AOD
Thanx for the Re-Post TomP! I needed that info.... I gotta do a Major Tune-up to my '88 2.8 This Spring! I think I'll be doin everything on that list too.... LoL. Nice post, you really know your stuff! :hail:
Old 02-22-2003, 09:59 PM
Supreme Member

You're welcome! I don't really think an ignition coil or oxygen sensor qualify to be on that list; if you notice, on the list, everything listed are consumables- filters, secondary ignition, fluids. Yeah we could argue that the oxygen sensor is a consumable- and it IS- but I don't have any sensors on the list, for two reasons. (A) It's a sensor, (B) I always promote the tuneup as a good way for a new guy to learn his car. Oxy sensors are a pain enough for us that have experience; imagine a new guy trying to change one?

Otherwise, my list would be really extensive- change the TPS, IAC, ignition coil, ignition module, oxy sensor, CTS, EGR, MAF/MAP, etc etc...

But thanks for the suggestions! It is odd that I mention fluids and belts, but don't mention hoses. I'll add hoses- rad,heater,vacuum.

Xcelerate, you should really run an air filter. Besides sucking things into the motor, you're also getting your oil very dirty- and I'm sure your engine bearings won't like that too much.

GTA, unfortuantely, MSD doesn't make a cap and rotor for us V6 guys. They make a cap/rotor for a Mustang inline 4 cylinder, though; go figure. (Unless it was because of the turbo Mustang? But still! How embarassing!)
Old 04-26-2003, 01:01 AM
Supreme Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 1992 Formula Firebird
Engine: 305CID (LB9)
Transmission: World Class T5
Axle/Gears: 10-bolt, 4.10 gears
I'll second the vacum hose thing. They are cheap. And I personally have replaced almost every hose in my car. I had a vacum leak that caused serious issues with my performance.
Old 04-26-2003, 07:32 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 1988 Chevy Camaro Hardtop
Engine: Turbocharged/Intercooled 3.1
Transmission: World Class T5 5 Speed
Same here... tho mine was because with the EGR and AIR gone, I found I didn't need half the hoses. And I got SICK of breaking the crapping plastic ones - so now I've got all rubber hosing!
Old 06-08-2003, 05:22 PM

GTA, unfortuantely, MSD doesn't make a cap and rotor for us V6 guys. They make a cap/rotor for a Mustang inline 4 cylinder, though; go figure. (Unless it was because of the turbo Mustang? But still! How embarassing!)
Actually there's a solution to this dilemma. Head to your local Autozone and tell them you want Conrad PN# DR2012G It's a cap and rotor kit for 2.8 V6's It has the brass inserts like all performance caps have. Heck, they're even red!

I've been told (but I have no proof) that Conrad is the OEM for MSD's caps and rotors.

So there you have it. Don't you fret none about them Mustang fellers gettin parts listed in the MSD catalog. You get to pick it up at the corner auto parts store and get it for less. $15.99 for the cap and rotor.

Great info Tom.
Old 06-09-2003, 10:29 AM
Supreme Member

RustBucket, thanks for the tip!! Hell that's even cheaper then the Accel cap & rotor! And welcome to the message boards!
Old 06-09-2003, 10:51 AM

You're welcome for the cap and rotor info.

Thanks for the welcome, I'll be playing around here off an on.
Old 06-09-2003, 05:20 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1988 Camaro RS
Engine: 2.8L of Raw POWER!!!
Transmission: Stick Shift
Axle/Gears: 3.42's
Ya know, This should really be a tech article or a sticky or somthing.
Old 06-09-2003, 06:05 PM
Supreme Member

Eventually I'll put it on my website, and maybe submit it as a tech article. It's already up in the "Read me First" sticky.
Old 06-10-2003, 09:14 PM
Supreme Member

hey guys i just had to replace my igniton module on my bird. for the time being i just put a stock one back in. what is the part number for the holley igniton module?. i know some guys have them on there v6's..... also what is the part number for the accel cap and rotor?
Old 06-11-2003, 09:13 AM
Supreme Member

<a href="https://www.thirdgen.org/techbb2/search.php?s=">Click here and type in "Holley Ignition Module part number", and choose the v6 forum.</a>

And the Accel part number can be found here: https://www.thirdgen.org/techbb2/sho...threadid=61891

Last edited by TomP; 06-11-2003 at 09:16 AM.
Old 06-11-2003, 07:09 PM
Banned

Why do you say to use aftermarket plug wires? The aftermarket aint always the best place to turn to parts. For a stock engine, stick to AC/Delco. Now if you, have other mods to your engine, I can see going with like MSD ignition stuff. -89IRO
Old 06-11-2003, 07:31 PM

they should just make this post a sticky. So many people ask for it and I hate having to do a search for it each time I want to do my tune up because i can't remember particulars. Just my $.02.
Old 06-11-2003, 10:09 PM
Supreme Member

can someone please quick off the top of their heads tell me what the part number is for the holley igniton module? ive searched and couldnt find it. im gonna be buying the accel cap,rotor / holley igniton module and a new accel super coil this weekend. im also gonna pull my plugs and gap them at .050
Old 06-12-2003, 12:22 AM
Supreme Member

As I said, bes217, there's a link to this in the sticky that's already up on the top of this board, the "Read Me First" sticky message. No need to put it there twice. Don't forget you can always print it out, or write it down, or save it to a file and open it from your local hard drive...

V6camaroman, the search I described above for you should work.

[edit] n/m

Last edited by TomP; 06-12-2003 at 12:58 AM.
Old 07-01-2003, 09:23 PM

TomP, I got a 1992 v6 3.1L firebird with 77k miles. I don't think that a tune up has ever been done on it.

Which manual do you prefer (Haynes or GM Service Manual)?

I want to get the on that will give me all of the info I need to do this tune up.
Old 07-02-2003, 12:13 PM
Supreme Member

Depends on what I'm using it for.

"The Good Points"

Haynes
---------
1. all torque specs given on first page of every chapter (easy to find)
2. picture-by-picture rebuild of brakes (for new guys)
3. procedures for large jobs are very accurate (caliper rebuild, drop gas tank, drop axle, pull engine, pull trans)
4. Thinner/cheaper, can get it greasy in garage without feeling bad

GM
----
1. every possible diagram of every possible thing in the car
2. every component location for every sensor/switch/module/etc
3. every possible wiring diagram of every circuit inside the car
4. full diagnostic charts for error codes (service engine soon light)
5. all sensor/switch/module operation explained in detail
6. value charts for sensors/switches
7. engine/trans/axle rebuild information
8. Has absolutely everything that's missing from the Haynes

"The Bad Points"

Haynes
---------
1. No diagnostic charts, SES light code chart is inaccurate
2. Nowhere nearly as in-depth as GM Service Manual

GM
----
1. Confusing for the beginning mechanic- might be too technical!
2. Torque specs get hidden in the diagrams
3. Won't tell you simple stuff (as in, how to change your spark plugs or change your rear axle oil).
4. Hard to find some obscure things (no index at back of book)

Key point: You can't classify the Haynes Manual and the GM Service Manual as being even remotely on the same level. I'd recommend only the GM Service Manual if I could, but I don't, and for two reasons: 1, It'd confuse the hell out of a beginning mechanic, and no offense meant, because we all started out the same way. 2, Since it's more expensive, I'd rather see someone own the Haynes as opposed to owning no manual at all.

In fact, if you look at my list of negatives for the GM book, they're not really negative points, are they? http://www.helminc.com and sometimes you can get lucky at http://www.ebay.com !

Last edited by TomP; 07-02-2003 at 12:15 PM.
Old 07-02-2003, 12:19 PM
Supreme Member

Since I'm feeling friendly:

82 Camaro: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=2422076574
84 Camaro: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=2422065165

87 Firebird: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=2421366038

Wow, that's all? For the extra couple bux, you can't beat a new one directly from Helm...
Old 07-02-2003, 07:45 PM

Thanks, TomP. I have Chiltons, but thats no help to me at all. I get more info out of the Owners Manual than from Chilton.
Old 07-17-2003, 04:39 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1999 Saturn SL2
Engine: 4 cylinder
Transmission: 4-speed automatic
Hi TomP. Nice guide you have here.

I'm trying to get into car repair and tuning a little bit, and you recommended the GM service manual as one of the guides to help out. However, I'm a little confused as to what exactly this is...

On the Helminc.com site, I see a manual called 1988 Firebird Shop Manual that sells for around $90; is this the same thing as the GM Service Manual?

Thanks for your help.
Old 07-18-2003, 09:35 PM

Originally posted by Nate86
Hi TomP. Nice guide you have here.

I'm trying to get into car repair and tuning a little bit, and you recommended the GM service manual as one of the guides to help out. However, I'm a little confused as to what exactly this is...

On the Helminc.com site, I see a manual called 1988 Firebird Shop Manual that sells for around $90; is this the same thing as the GM Service Manual?

Thanks for your help.
Nate86, th GM Shop Manual and Service Manual are the same thing. The Shop/Service manual are used at the dealership and should have everything you need to know. I just recently bought mine off of eBay for $14!!! what a deal! I suggest looking there first before you buy a brand new one, they just get beat up and dirty anyways.
Old 07-26-2003, 12:34 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1999 Saturn SL2
Engine: 4 cylinder
Transmission: 4-speed automatic
Thanks man. I appreciate it.