Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

where is the passkey decoder module?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2005, 04:03 PM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: '91 Z28
Engine: L98 5.7L TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 323's
where is the passkey decoder module?

and what does it look like? it may or may not be the key to my problem, but i have a very high resistance on that indicator terminal at my inst. panel connector, also on my infl rest indicator terminal. all i see behind the inst panel where it supposedly should be is a kinda' flat black box looking thing, about 4" X 6", mounted near the heater core cover, but the wiring doesn't seem to match what the book says should be there. and even with that disconnected, the high resistance is still there. if you have a pic of what it looks like, that would help. this is for my 91 Z 5.7 TPI (VIN 8).

KAM
Old 09-03-2005, 10:56 PM
TGO Supporter

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 1989 Iroc-Z
Engine: 5.7L TPI
Kam, Kam, Kam, You do seem to have an awfull lot of fun finding that thing don't you? It is located on the passenger side of the car near the ECM. The wire harness for it comes out of the wire bundle for connector "C207". It is either a gray box or sometimes a black box that is about 4" x 5". There should be about eight wires going to it. There are as follows.

Pin "A1" = pink/black wire to ECM fuse.
Pin "A2" = dark blue wire to pin "B6" of ECM if VIN "E", Pin "F10" if it is VIN "T", "F", or "8".
Pin "A3" = black/yellow wire to pin "B" of starter enable relay.
Pin "A4" = gray wire to security light on INST panel.
Pin "A6" = white/black wire to lock cylinder connector.
Pin "B1" = black/white wire to ground on back of r/h cylinder head if VIN "E" or "T". L/H cylinder head if VIN "F" or "8" through connector C100.
Pin "B2" = purple/yellow wire going to lock cylinder connector.
Pin "B8" = orange wire goin to VATS fuse
Old 09-03-2005, 11:24 PM
Supreme Member

yea, i'm still chasing this S.O.B... gave it up for a month or so. two different ground circuits, as you know. the security indicator has lots of resistance to ground and so does the infl rest. the airbag system seems to check out alright, though. does the self test and goes back out. the security light does not come on, but that is probably because i did have that module disconnected. so tomorrow i will hook it back up and check it again, but why would there be such high resistance on those two circuits? if i check those grounds to each other, there is 48 ohms resistance. if i check the security terminal to ground, it is 1000+ ohms, can't remember what the infl rest terminal was, but it was way up there, too. the passkey decoder module seems to be a common thing cuz it's on the one ground (450) but there are wires to the gages fuse and at the fuse block, that is coupled to the SIR fuse as far as power distribution when the key is on. i had thought before that the DERM for the SIR system was the culprit, but doesn't seem to be. if i disconnect it AND the arming sensor, that ground (1003) issue goes away. if i pull the gages AND SIR fuse, it goes away. if i pull the ECM fuse, the other ground (450) issue goes away.
Old 09-04-2005, 12:17 AM
TGO Supporter

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 1989 Iroc-Z
Engine: 5.7L TPI
I wouldn't worry too much about the resistance there. What you should be concerned with is continuity and voltage. On some of those circuits you don't want to be checking for resistance since that will mess some of them up.
Old 09-04-2005, 07:59 AM
Supreme Member

OK. Is it possible for those two grounds to show voltage in them because maybe they weren't grounded where they should be very well? one reason i'm asking is because when i reconnected the 1003 ground back up, the voltage disappeared and read almost zero. and it probably read that little bit because the jumper wire it was attached to didn't have the best connection. and i assume that because the other wires read out good up to that point. but it is a temporary jumper for trouble shooting. i will reconnect the other ground (450) today and see if it goes to zero, as well. and if that's the case, then maybe my suspected problem never really existed? Maybe it was crappy connections all along? The only other thing in the jist of it all is if my fuel pump still primes with the lights being turned on... i have a lot of things to hook back up to verify that, though. there was another guy who experienced that same thing a couple of months ago and i talked to him last week - his problem just went away on its own. before i started tearing in to all this, everything seemed to work as advertised - no codes, either. only thing out of the ordinary was the excessive fuel consumption, but that could be from the AFPR i put on and/or needing another prom burnt for my cam.
Old 09-04-2005, 07:49 PM
Supreme Member

Originally posted by Trickster
On some of those circuits you don't want to be checking for resistance since that will mess some of them up.
dare i ask how? and with all the "troubleshooting" i've been doing, whether it be right or wrong, there's a good chance i boinked something up along the way...