DIY PROM Do It Yourself PROM chip burning help. No PROM begging. No PROMs for sale. No commercial exchange. Not a referral service.

P730 - Octane Retard Routine and how to control it better

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2001, 04:52 PM
TGO Supporter

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: Death Mobile
Engine: 666 c.i.
P730 - Octane Retard Routine and how to control it better

This routine is currently only applicable to the SD TPI system (8D). A similar routine has not been found in the 89 MAP TPI (6E) BIN. As for existing in the TBI systems or earlier 32 or 32B MAF systems is not known. If you have any of the other systems, you should review the hac for them and report whether such a routine exists in them.

The Octane Retard routine was designed by GM as a safety factor in case you got some “low octane” gasoline. When knock is detected over the “threshold”, it will lower the Maximum Spark Advance you can have and thus your “Total Spark Advance” display on your scan tool will mysteriously become less (4* stock). The routine is capable of “recovering” this “stolen spark advance”, but the way GM set it up, you basically will never get it back until you turn off your engine and restart the motor.

You basically have two alternatives, either modify the parameters to allow the Octane Retard routine come in only when higher levels of Knock Retard is detected, decrease the amount of retard it puts in as each occurrence of knock retard is detected, lower the maximum retard level and alter the speed it recovers at.

After much experimentation, I found it best to just disable this whole silly routine. Now if you live in an area where the grade of the gas is questionable (like taking a trip to some country south of the United States which will remain nameless), you may very well wish to invoke this routine and alter the way it functions. But if you are confident in the quality of gasoline in the area you live, I believe disabling it makes tuning far easier.

Without disabling it, I found that when I checked my “Total Spark Advance”, “Relative Spark Advance” and reconciled it to the total Spark Advance I SHOULD be getting; I would lose spark advance that made it very difficult to tune for Wide Open Throttle.

Play with the various Constants that I define below, but also try disabling it and see which you prefer. The following are the various parameters that affect the Low Octane Retard routine (and how to disable them or things to try with them).

1) Low Octane – MAP Threshold (address x’8229). The MAP value that this field is set to is the minimum that is necessary to enable “recovery”. If the MAP sensor is above this threshold and no knock is being detected, the recovery routine will begin and attempt to give you the retard it took away. Conversley, if you have a load higher than this threshold and knock is detected above another threshold (described below), it will begin lowering your Total Spark Advance.

2) Low Octane – Knock Retard Threshold (address x’822B). This is the level of knock retard detected that will initiate the retard routine. If you wish to slow down the rate of retard or disable it, set it to a higher value.

3) Low Octane – Knock Retard Increase Amt (address x’822C). This is the recovery rate of the knock retard. The larger the number the quicker the recovery. For this routine to occur, you MAP Threshold has to be over the amount set and no knock retard must be occurring.

4) Low Octane – Knock Retard Decrease Amt (address x’822D). This is the rate at which knock retard is pulled out of you spark advance. Lowering the value will make the rate of retard slower. To disable it, set it to 0.

5) Low Octane – Retard Amount (address x’822E). This is the amount of retard pulled from the system as each occurrence of knock retard happens over the Threshold Amount. Set this to 0 if you wish to disable it.

6) Max Spard Advance Retard (address x’8028). This is the maximum knock retard allowed for the Low Octane routine. It is a Double Byte field and is a negative field. (ie, x’FFFF is –1, x’FFFE is –2 and so forth). To disable this routine, I found setting it to x’FFFF allowed the ecm to only retard it the least amount possible.

So that is the Low Octane Retard parameters and how they work. If you disable it, you will find that your “Total Spark Advance” will always remain constant (or only be affected as much as your wish) and should you wish to retain it, have the ecm recover it quicker. I found a moderate KPA of 54 kpas for my MAP Threshold with a lower Knock Retard Decrease and larger Knock Retard Increase allowed it to at least recover it fairly quickly. But I still prefer to just disable it, unless the quality of gas where I live are I am travelling to is questionable. Then, I would just control it better.

[This message has been edited by Glenn91L98GTA (edited April 16, 2001).]
Old 04-16-2001, 05:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thank you amigo, go something to read & think about tonight.

BW

------------------
Bob Wooten
71 Camaro, 91 EFI
r71chevy@earthlink.net
www.r71camaro.homestead.com
Old 04-17-2001, 12:49 AM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: Turbo Buick
Engine: 3.8 V6
I wanna be like Glenn when I grow up

nice work
Old 04-17-2001, 07:46 AM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 2005 Subaru STI
Engine: 153ci of Turbo Power!
Transmission: 6-Speed

Tim

------------------
TRAXION's 1990 IROC-Z
Best Time = 12.244 @ 112.51mph (1.778 60' / 7.819@88.32mph in the 1/8)
All Natural. No Force. No Drugs. Stock Bottom End. Stock Body Panels.
Gunning for NA 11's with bigger cam, bigger stall, and bigger exhaust.
-=ICON Motorsports=-
Moderator: PROM board at thirdgen.org
Old 04-17-2001, 12:22 PM
Supreme Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 04 GTO
Engine: LS1
Transmission: M12 T56
Yeah, glenn is
Old 04-17-2001, 05:57 PM

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Car: 1990 Pontiac Trans Am
Engine: 355 TPI siamesed runners
Transmission: Tremec T56
Axle/Gears: 12-Bolt 3.73
What version of the 8D do you have? I have version O and it doesnt list the Low Octane tables...

------------------
West Coast GM Shootout 2001!
1991 Camaro Z28
5.7L 5-Speed (originally 305)
13.25 @ 107.18 MPH
Southern California
Member: SoCal 3rd Gen F-Bodies
Webmaster: SoCal F-Bodies
-=ICON Motorsports=-
Old 04-17-2001, 06:48 PM
TGO Supporter

This isn't even in TunerCat's next version. I just sent TC the info and hopefully they will include it as part of their next release or the one after. Between Tim and myself, I think we've been keeping them pretty busy. Hopefully, TC will consider my idea of a pure Metric and pure English version of TunerCat too. I just informed them about the conversion factor to make Fahrenheit display properly.

I use TC's TDF Editor to define these. Since you get a 30 day trial period, why not give it a whirl? I love TDF Editor. That package is worth it's weight in gold.
Old 04-18-2001, 01:45 AM

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Car: 1990 Pontiac Trans Am
Engine: 355 TPI siamesed runners
Transmission: Tremec T56
Axle/Gears: 12-Bolt 3.73
Ahh, I see, so you've found extra values in the PROM that TunerCat hasnt labeled yet. I understand now.
Old 04-18-2001, 12:13 PM

Alright glenn, i am severly cornfused now. you said @ the beginning that the timing that was taken out was not put back in until the car was turned off & then back on again, BUT you are talking about retard increase amt & decrease amount like this is a fluid live action. as i was reading this I thought that this was something that would retard the timing based on some input (maybe knock counts or something & it would not reset until the car was turned off & then back on again.

but then as i read on this sounds like ESC attach rate & ESC recovery rate & the "normal" knock sensor retard routine. the one that listens to the Knock sensor & pulls or adds timeing depending on the knock counts.

So, i guess the question is, are we talking about the same thing or is this something that is on top of the knock routine? I am using GME Pro, & these are available things & think that they must be also in Tuner cat & that this is something that is on top of the knock retard routine.

BW

------------------
Bob Wooten
71 Camaro, 91 EFI
r71chevy@earthlink.net
Old 04-18-2001, 06:46 PM
TGO Supporter

Bob, these are not part of the normal "knock retard". These are in addition to, the regular "knock retard" routine.

Yes, you CAN modify the fields I have identified to make the "Octane Retard" routine to recover. But under its stock settings, it does not recover except at an extremely slow rate - such that you don't really recover this retard except by turning the engine off (or modifying the identified parameters).

This routine works by reducing your "Total Spark Advance/Relative Spark Advance" and unless you reconcile these fields, you will never notice it.
Old 04-19-2001, 01:02 AM

Ohhh I see. so this is an active thing it is just that is moves so slow that you dont see it happening. turning off the car & then back on again resets it so you see an instant change & not a slow moving firmware filter, & tuning in the atack/something else rates to get decrease the filter length. This makes more sense, got it.

However,I am not sure that i am following you on the total spark advance/relative spark adavnce thing. when i look @ a data master run i get spark advance, spark retard & knock count. I am guessing that spark advance is the same as total spark advance but what is relative spark advance the same as?

thanks Amigo,
BW

------------------
Bob Wooten
71 Camaro, 91 EFI
r71chevy@earthlink.net
Old 04-19-2001, 04:30 AM
TGO Supporter

Without any occurance of Knock Retard (the normal one), Total Spark Advance = Relative Spark Advance + Base Timing. When you have Knock Retard occuring (the normal one displayed on your scan tool), Total Spark Advance - Knock Retard = Relative Spark Advance + Base.

If you had 40* Total, 0* Knock, 34* Relative and 6* Base, it would be 40 = 34 + 6. Now if you had 6* Knock Retard it would be 40 - 6 = 28 + 6. Your Effective Total Spark Advance (not displayed, must be calculated) would have retarded 6* to 34*.

If (on top of this) Octane Retard also occurred, and it pulled 4* away, the numbers would look like this 36 - 6 = 24 + 6, you would only have 30* Effective Total Spark Advance. The 4* would just disappear from the Total AND Relative and not show up in the Knock Retard field at all.

Assume that you were previously getting 40* Total Spark Advance (and 34* Relative) displayed as your MAXIMUM values while cruising on the highway (while no Knock Retard was occurring), after the Octane Retard Routine kicked in and did its dirty work, your MAXIMUM Total Spark Advance you would only reach would be 36* (with only 30* Relative). Without modifying the constants for Octane Retard, you would remain at 36* as your maximum Total Spark Advance for a VERY LONG TIME until you turned turned off your engine and restarted it.

This is how I first observe this, when I was reconciling my MAXIMUM Total Spark Advance (to my various Spark Tables) and where I was previously getting 42*, I was unable to get more than 38*. After further investigation (and reviewing various Diacom data captures), I noticed that once this occurred, it happened for ALL ranges of the engine operation (WOT, part throttle, all rpm, etc)...they all became 4* less and never returned (except after a VERY LONG TIME).

[This message has been edited by Glenn91L98GTA (edited April 19, 2001).]
Old 04-19-2001, 09:36 AM

Glenn,

I am good with teh first sentence but the second one does not jive. Total = Relative + Base (Cool). Total - Knck rtd = Relative + Base (Not cool).

maybe i am not understanding what "total spark advance" is. my understanding is that total is just that the total number of degrees of rotation that the the spark occurs.

if that is the case then I think that it ought to be total = Relative + Base - Knck Rtd. if that were the case the it would be total = 34 + 6 - 6 (for 6 Deg of retard).

and if you are also getting octane retard you are going to have Total = 34 + 6 - 6 - 4. which would only be 28 Deg which would make HP take a huge hit in ths shorts.

I can see where when looking @ the maps & the scan tool you would have to do some math to finger out what is going on with them timing.

I think that when you are looking @ the timing on the data stream you are seeing the true timing regardless of how much is being pulled out, although what you are not seeing is what the table is asking for AND how much is being pulled out via the low octane retard, but you are seeing the knock retard. so when you look @ what the table is asking for & how much knock retard you have compared to what the actual timing is, is infact where the discrepance is coming from, & what lead you to the ocatane retard issue.

let me know if i am WAY out to lunch here, if not I get it & i totaly see how this would screw up the tuning, 'specially if you are tuning WOT cause it could change every time you went back into the garage & burn a chip.

Tanx again.
BW

------------------
Bob Wooten
71 Camaro, 91 EFI
r71chevy@earthlink.net
Old 04-19-2001, 05:32 PM
Supreme Member

Hey Bob, recheck your math, (Total = 34 + 6 - 6 - 4. which would only be 28 Deg) I think you and Glen should have the same #'s which is 30*.

Steve
Old 04-19-2001, 06:55 PM

Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuh, i swear i passed 3rd grade. guess i am going to have to break out the calculator next time, that higher level math, just KILLS me every time.

than you for pointin that out.

Bob (going back to 1st grade with his kid) Wooten

------------------
Bob Wooten
71 Camaro, 91 EFI
r71chevy@earthlink.net
Old 04-21-2001, 07:15 AM
Supreme Member

Bob, not so hard on yourself. I bet you just had a bad hair day. Are you sure you didn't leave the equation on the table and one of your kids came by and finished it for you? Hope you have fun making new friends at school, also be very carefull when crossing the road. Oh ya, don't forget to pack your lunch, school food stinks.

Steve
Old 04-21-2001, 08:26 AM
TGO Supporter

Bob, the main thing I am discussing when we get into the math is that I am trying to show you how to calculate your Total EFFECTIVE Spark Advance.

In all cases, the equation is Effective Total Spark Advace = Total Spark Advance (displayed) - Knock Retard = Relative Spark Advance + Base Timing. (Assuming your Base Timing at your distributor is the same as your Base Timing defined in your Constants).

What I have discovered is that the 2 different types of retard are displayed differently and must be calculated differently. The "regular" Knock Retard that is displayed on your scan tool must be deducted from your Total Spark Advance displayed on your scan tool to get your true Effective Total Spark Advance. The Low Octane Retard (which is not displayed) is already accounted for in your Total Spark Advance.

I have found the "Relative" Spark Advance (which is what the ECM really is adding to your ignition system) is the only "true" spark advance that can be relied upon.

But it is a good exercise in calculating what your Total Effective Spark Advance should be and actually reconciling it. Just remember that if you think you should be getting 40*, you are NOT having any knock retard occurring but you DID have a knock incident that more than likely the Low Octane Retard routine has probably "done it's thing" and will account for why you probably are not getting 40* when you should.
Old 04-21-2001, 05:53 PM

Thank you gents. I will check both directions before i head off across the street & remember to not run with sizzors @ craft time.

I think that i get it, I am going to whip out the Data master run & see if i cant follow along & see what i come up with. gotta do it or it does not sink in (hard headed right brained male & all).

what I find interesting is. what is the aldl data stream for? diagnostics right? if that is the case then why does the general not put the actual total spark advance as the one that is displayed? & then have the different retards shown as well (or knock retard & a bit flag for the low octane retard). maybe one of those bit flags that is not defined is for that. This seems kind of silly to me. if someone is trying to figure out why the timing on a car is so out to lunch you would think that the firmware writer would want to give the Tech a heads up?

In any case, gotta go chew on this for a an hour (or 10) & let it digest

thanks again.
BW

------------------
Bob Wooten
71 Camaro, 91 EFI
r71chevy@earthlink.net
Old 04-21-2001, 06:08 PM
TGO Supporter

Bob, I believe the reason the "Genera" did it the way did is because the "Total Spark Advance" is used as a control within the eprom for a "maximum". It reflects a "cap" of the "maximum allowable". Whereas the "knock retard" (not the Low Octane Retard) is a temporary retard and has no effect on the "Maximum Allowable". I believe it is more of a terminology problem than anything else. The REAL thing to watch is Relative Spark Advance and add your base to get the Effective.

Guess you've learned more about knock retard than you really wanted to. Just think of the "Total Spark Advance" as really meaning "Maximum Allowable" and life becomes simpler.
Old 04-21-2001, 06:42 PM

Cool. Tanx

------------------
Bob Wooten
71 Camaro, 91 EFI
r71chevy@earthlink.net
Old 10-10-2001, 08:42 PM
TGO Supporter

Here is another post that guys with SD should be aware of. I have been discussing this subject with some of the "gurus" and it appears that GM used a similar routine on other vehicles BUT it is more of an "Octane Advance" routine instead of an "Octane Retard" routine as used in the $8D.

I am looking at ways to modify this routine to work in "reverse" to make it add extra spark if the ECM can safely do it, rather than "retard" it.
Old 10-11-2001, 02:32 PM
Tad

Just wanting to know, I'm new to this and been trying to read every thing I can. I have been playing around with winbin using the aujp.bin and in the values tab it has six different enters for the low octane knock retard and in the arrays tab It has two. One for low octane knock muti vs rpm and one for low octane knock multi vs map are these the routines you are talking about.
Old 03-16-2003, 03:26 PM
TGO Supporter

For the person that e-mailed me...here is the info on Octane Retard on the 7730.

It has been suggested that with a little fiddling, you could modify the routine to be an "Octane Advance" routine that would see if you can handle additional timing.
Old 03-26-2003, 05:32 AM

Glenn,

I have seen very similar activity from my LT1 8051PCM $EE mask. Once knock has been detected, The PCM just starts is own little plan of removing timing in the amount and time of its choosing. I haven't yet determined exactly how to get rid of it yet but its gotta go. It's driving me crazy. Your post was very helpfull to me and confirms my observations about a different operating mode.

Thanks

Steve
Old 03-26-2003, 09:05 AM
TGO Supporter

Steve,

There were a number of other ECMs after the 7730 that also have a similar routine. The Sy/Ty is suppose to have a similar routine, but it works more as for "Advancing" instead of "Retarding". Given the $EE is a more sophisticated routine, I would expect it to have something like the Octane Retard Routine (but more sophisticated).

IMO the ultimate solution is to find out what the source of the knock is and eliminate it. But it is sometimes not possible to eliminate knock at all times in all circumstances.

I suggest to not outright disable the Octane Retard Routine (unless you never plan to drive away from your local area and sure of the quality of the gas you burn). I would made it "recover" in a more reasonable period of time. Ori the 7730, the recovery time never occurs in the stock setup until you turn off the ignition. It is one of the culprits that affect the way the engine feels when "hot restarted" on a hot day (doggy).
Old 03-29-2003, 11:12 AM
Banned

I believe this is what you are looking for on the LT1 ecm.

Code:
	*  LO OCTANE KNOCK MOD QUAL'S
L235E  FCB   144    ; 65 Kpa, LO OCTANE KNK RTD MOD MAP ENABLE THRESH
L235F  FCB   6      ; 2 Kpa, LO OCTANE KNK RTD MOD DIFF MAP DISABLE THRESH 
					;
L2360  FCB   255    ; 0.996 MULT, LO OCTANE COMP GAIN
					;

;--------------------------------------------------
    ; LOW OCTANE COMP ATTACK GAIN VS RPM
    ;
    ;  Dissassemby of EE,  LINES =  17 
    ;
    ;  TBL =  256  * MULT
        ORG        $2361

;
    ;                 MULT           RPM
L2361  FCB   80     ;     0.313         0
L2362  FCB   80     ;     0.313       400
L2363  FCB   80     ;     0.313       800
L2364  FCB   80     ;     0.313      1200
L2365  FCB   63     ;     0.246      1600
L2366  FCB   50     ;     0.195      2000
L2367  FCB   42     ;     0.164      2400
L2368  FCB   36     ;     0.141      2800
L2369  FCB   34     ;     0.133      3200
L236A  FCB   21     ;     0.082      3600
L236B  FCB   11     ;     0.043      4000
L236C  FCB   8      ;     0.031      4400
L236D  FCB   8      ;     0.031      4800
L236E  FCB   8      ;     0.031      5200
L236F  FCB   6      ;     0.023      5600
L2370  FCB   6      ;     0.023      6000
L2371  FCB   6      ;     0.023      6400

; LO OCTANE KNK RETARD MULT VS RPM
    ;
    ;
    ;  TBL =  256  * MULT
        ORG        $2372

;
    ;                 MULT           RPM
L2372  FCB   255    ;     0.996         0
L2373  FCB   255    ;     0.996       400
L2374  FCB   255    ;     0.996       800
L2375  FCB   255    ;     0.996      1200
L2376  FCB   255    ;     0.996      1600
L2377  FCB   255    ;     0.996      2000
L2378  FCB   192    ;     0.750      2400
L2379  FCB   176    ;     0.688      2800
L237A  FCB   168    ;     0.656      3200
L237B  FCB   168    ;     0.656      3600
L237C  FCB   168    ;     0.656      4000
L237D  FCB   164    ;     0.641      4400
L237E  FCB   160    ;     0.625      4800
L237F  FCB   160    ;     0.625      5200
L2380  FCB   160    ;     0.625      5600
L2381  FCB   160    ;     0.625      6000
L2382  FCB   160    ;     0.625      6400

;  LO OCTANE KNK RETARD MULT vs  MAP
    ;
    ;
    ;  TBL =  256  * MULT
        ORG        $2383

;
    ;                 MULT           Kpa MAP
L2383  FCB   0      ;     0.000        20.0
L2384  FCB   0      ;     0.000        25.0
L2385  FCB   0      ;     0.000        30.0
L2386  FCB   0      ;     0.000        35.0
L2387  FCB   0      ;     0.000        40.0
L2388  FCB   16     ;     0.063        45.0
L2389  FCB   32     ;     0.125        50.0
L238A  FCB   64     ;     0.250        55.0
L238B  FCB   96     ;     0.375        60.0
L238C  FCB   128    ;     0.500        65.0
L238D  FCB   168    ;     0.656        70.0
L238E  FCB   208    ;     0.813        75.0
L238F  FCB   224    ;     0.875        80.0
L2390  FCB   240    ;     0.938        85.0
L2391  FCB   255    ;     0.996        90.0
L2392  FCB   255    ;     0.996        95.0
L2393  FCB   255    ;     0.996       100.0

;  KNK RETARD MULT vs COOLANT
    ;
    ;  Dissassemby of EE,  LINES =  9 
    ;
    ;  TBL =  256  * MULT
        ORG        $2394

;
    ;                 MULT           Deg c COOL
L2394  FCB   0      ;     0.000       -40.0
L2395  FCB   0      ;     0.000       -16.0
L2396  FCB   0      ;     0.000         8.0
L2397  FCB   0      ;     0.000        32.0
L2398  FCB   64     ;     0.250        56.0
L2399  FCB   112    ;     0.438        80.0
L239A  FCB   192    ;     0.750       104.0
L239B  FCB   192    ;     0.750       128.0
L239C  FCB   224    ;     0.875       152.0
I prefer to use the code, but modify it to work only when it's really needed.

Trust me, there is nothing worse than a bad tank of gas in summer. You will wish the code was active.

need4speed

Last edited by need4speed; 03-29-2003 at 05:29 PM.
Old 03-30-2003, 05:06 PM
TGO Supporter

Does knock in PE mode have any influence on this what so ever ?or just under normal closed loop operation.
Old 03-30-2003, 07:11 PM
TGO Supporter

Originally posted by 87_TA
Does knock in PE mode have any influence on this what so ever ?or just under normal closed loop operation.
For the 7730, all knock of any significant magnitude seemed to affect it. There is a "threshold" value, but it didn't seem to work as expected. I found that any knock exceeding a couple degrees would cause it to engage.
Old 03-30-2003, 07:41 PM
TGO Supporter

So best way to disable it is to set octane retard amount to 0?
Also does setting the pe knock retard to a set number only allow it to retard that amount actually?
Or does it just fool the scan tool?
Old 03-31-2003, 10:52 AM
Supreme Member

Received 106 Likes on 65 Posts
Car: '90 Trans Am-12.45@110.71
Engine: 355 w/AFR 195's Elem. 400/430 HP/TQ
Transmission: Tremec T-56
Axle/Gears: 12 Bolt 3.73
Knock

I'm still confused......
So Glenn, does that mean to disable it you would:
1. set the Low Octane knock retard mult. vs map to "0" ?
2. set the Low Octane knock retard mult. vs rpm to "0" ?
Thanks for the help,
Don>>>
Old 03-31-2003, 03:12 PM
TGO Supporter

Re: Knock

Originally posted by Dyno Don
I'm still confused......
So Glenn, does that mean to disable it you would:
1. set the Low Octane knock retard mult. vs map to "0" ?
2. set the Low Octane knock retard mult. vs rpm to "0" ?
Thanks for the help,
Don>>>
I never found a need to manipulate those two tables. I was able to control the Low Octane Routine solely through Constants. I will include the name of the constants, it's hex address location and the value I set them to to disable it. But do feel free to use the Low Octane Multiplier Tables and report on how well they work. I found I just prefered to disable it entirely as I drive my car only in a local area and only use the "good stuff" (Chevron 94 Octane is the best available in my area and very consistent)....I don't use "No Name Brand" or less than 94 Octane.

Low Octane - MAP Threshold (x'8229) -> 40.3 Kpa
Low Octane - Knk Retard Diff MAP amt (x'822A) -> 0.6 Kpa
Low Octane - Knk Retard Threshold (x'822B) -> 10.2 Deg
Low Octane - Knk Retard Increase Amt (x'822C) -> 16.2 Deg
Low Octane - Knk Retard Decrease Amt (x'822D) -> 0 Deg
Low Octane - Knk Retard Amount (x'822E) -> 0 Deg
Max Spark Advance Retard (x'8028) -> -0.4 Deg

These were the settings that minimized the Low Octane Knock Routine for me, and gave the results I was seeking (I wanted it disabled). As I said, feel free to do more experimentation and report on the results. But make sure you read my original post for the explanation of what they do. It's been almost 2 years that I worked with this.

In fact, these values didn't even exist in TunerCat's $8D tdf at the time. I had to add them to my own "special tdf" that I created myself. I did report these to TunerCat and they have added these constants and those two tables after I explained them to TC.

I guess I should get the most current $8D tdf, but I am doing my "own thing" and working on other things. That is why I listed that actual hex address that the constant is located so you can make sure you are working with the right constant. Unfortunately, my version of $8D is quite unique and it is too much work for me to add the items I am working with at this time.

Last edited by Grim Reaper; 03-31-2003 at 03:19 PM.