Aftermarket Product Review Provide questions and answers about aftermarket parts for the Third Generation F-Body.

LED Kits (similar to HID Kits) for Headlights/Fog Lights: Plug-N-Play (Review w/Pics)

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2014, 03:27 PM
Supreme Member

Received 239 Likes on 179 Posts
Car: 1987 Formula (original owner)
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 9-bolt/3.45
LED Kits (similar to HID Kits) for Headlights/Fog Lights: Plug-N-Play (Review w/Pics)

7/21/2020. For the record, these original types of LED kits were, pretty much, failures, and these particular kits don't exist anymore anyway. The new styles of kits and LEDs today, are outstanding, far more advanced than these originals. So read on at your own risk LOL.

The adaptation of LED into new cars has generated a lot of interest for LED in 3rdgens, for which there are few LED headlight options. So this thread is about one of the industry's newest lighting products, plug-n-play LED kits(similar to HID kits), which can be used to update the front lighting in almost any vehicle, modern or classic, converting headlights and fog lights that use replaceable bulbs to high-performance LED, including 3rdgen-fitting 4x6 and 7x6 H4 reflector housings(aka entry-level "ebay housings"), H1 projectors for 3rdgen retrofits/DIY projects, and reflector headlight housings in just about any type of vehicle(cars, trucks, motorcycles, off-road, etc.). I have excellent real bi-xenon H1 projector headlights w/HID in my Formula ( https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/auto...-bi-xenon.html ), but my daily vehicle has one of these LED kits in its reflector housings, so I've created this thread to describe and review the product.

LED kits are available from many online sources, in several different designs, with varying levels of quality, and in a wide range of prices. But these kits from GTR Lighting are the current "state-of-the-art." Yet one of these kits + a pair of inexpensive H4 reflector housings of your choice will still only cost about half the price of a pair of manufactured LED headlights. I purchased my kit through Headlight Revolution/TLG-Auto, from whom I got my Formula's Tru-Projector headlights.

http://www.gtrlighting.com/led-conversion-kit/

Top Line Group Auto is the original company and focuses primarily on cars:
http://www.tlg-auto.com/

Headlight Revolution is the new division and focuses primarily on trucks:
http://www.headlightrevolution.com/

Similar to HID, LED kits use ballast-like "drivers." But unlike HID, LED doesn't require a relay harness. The kits are available in most replaceable bulb sizes, and they're very simple to install, truly plug-n-play. And being 2x brighter than Halogen, but not as bright as HID, LED would seem to be a better and safer choice than HID as a high-performance upgrade in reflector housings.

These kits have an advertised output of 2200 lumens for the main beams, plus an additional 400 lumens when the high beams are activated, for a total of 2600 lumens. But those additional 400 lumens provide no usable assistance due to the shape of the bottom of my reflector housings, which is a moot point anyway because the 2200 lumen main beams are bright enough to safely and effectively stand alone.

The light is frosty-white-with-a-hint-of-icy-blue in the color temperature range of 5500K-6000K, and it brightly illuminates the immediate area with a "glow" that resembles moonlight, while softly dissipating into the distance. Viewing the headlights from in front of the vehicle, the crisp cool light is reflected only out of the upper-half of the reflector housings, and that's what makes the source identifiable as LED.

The 2200 lumen output should be effective in projector headlights too. After all, these LEDs are twice as bright as Halogen, and Halogen was used in projectors for 10 years before HID was adapted to headlights. The forthcoming H1 LED kit is currently being redesigned for optimal performance in projectors; it's not the one in GTR's link above. So when it becomes available, I'll be testing it in my Formula's H1 projectors, where LED fitment is questionable due to the pop-up assemblies and headlight covers. If it doesn't fit, then an LED kit won't be an option for Firebirds, and the only LED headlight options will be manufactured products, such as Truck-Lite, General Electric(Nighthawk LED), JW Speaker, Maxxima, United Pacific, etc.

For Camaros, however, there seem to be no limitations for utilizing these kits. In addition to the two primary headlights(reflectors or projectors), the bright 2200 lumen LEDs would be excellent for the two high beam headlights, where they can be aimed for extreme distances. For example, if you've upgraded your Camaro's primary headlights to projectors w/HID, then instead of keeping the sealed high beams that neither match the attractive appearance of, nor the excellent performance of your new projectors, you could swap those outdated-and-out-of-place-looking sealed high beams for inexpensive 4x6 reflector housings of the same style as your projectors' housings, install an H4 LED kit, and you'll have strong high beam companions for your projector headlights. All four headlight housings will match and look good together during the daytime, and the appearance of the light from the LED high beam headlights will nicely-compliment the light from the HID projector headlights at night. Those high beam headlights could even perform double-duty as LED DRLs(daytime running lights), which would look very nice too, and you'd get a lot of usage out of them.

And if you have fog lights too, then you can complete the transformation of your front lighting with one of these kits, which will intensely-illuminate the immediate foreground. Camaros use 880-series bulbs, for which there's a forthcoming plug-n-play LED kit. And Firebirds use H3 bulbs, for which there is also a plug-n-play LED kit. But for Firebirds, here again, there might be fitment issues, as it appears GM created a custom-fit that's not interchangeable with standard H3 fitment. Also, 3rdgen fog light housings have bulb shields, which might prevent the use of LED kits, though I believe the shields are easy to remove. However, I don't have fog lights, so I won't be experimenting with this. People will have to work this out on their own. But with one of these LED kits successfully installed in fog light housings, the results will be outstanding. Then with an LED kit or an HID kit in your primary headlights, and an LED kit in matching reflector housings for high beam headlights/DRLs, you'll have updated, aesthetically-pleasing, color-matching, high-performance front lighting. Even if you're sticking with all stock sealed beam headlights, then one of these LED kits in your fog lights will greatly improve your night vision.

You could probably create your own universal/custom-fitment with a simple hole in the rear of a housing, then use a grommet with an appropriate OD to fit the hole and an appropriate ID to firmly hold an LED that's been pushed through it. So with a little creativity, you could probably find a way to utilize these LED kits to suit your wants and needs.

LED kits are also excellent for "off-road" use, where they can be aligned for extreme distances.

These plug-n-play LED kits from GTR Lighting deliver strong clean bright light, they're of excellent quality, they'll last "forever," they draw minimal power, they're designed for a variety of applications, they're extremely simple to install, and their versatility allows them to be utilized in multiple ways. With these kits, 3rdgens can have modern high-performance LED headlights and fog lights with a clean installation under the hood and an unmolested exterior appearance.

Pics in posts #2, #3 and #4.

Last edited by LAFireboyd; 07-21-2020 at 07:49 PM. Reason: always editing for clarity
Old 06-13-2014, 03:30 PM
Supreme Member

Re: LED Conversion Kits for Headlights/Fog Lights: Plug-N-Play (Review w/Pics)

Last edited by LAFireboyd; 07-21-2020 at 07:50 PM.
Old 06-13-2014, 03:33 PM
Supreme Member

Last edited by LAFireboyd; 07-21-2020 at 07:50 PM.
Old 06-13-2014, 03:37 PM
Supreme Member

The complete LED kit: It's truly plug-n-play, no relay harness necessary, extremely simple to install, with sizes available for most headlight/fog light applications.

Each LED has a removable mounting collar(circled in the pic below) for its specific application. The kit pictured is for 9007 headlights, but 3rdgen headlights would need an H4 kit, which would plug into inexpensive 4x6 or 7x6 reflector housings, turning them into very nice LED headlights. 3rdgen fog lights would need either an 880 kit or an H3 kit, depending upon application.

The fat base of the LED is a heat sink, which contains a fan for cooling the LED. It's the heat sink that might prevent these LEDs from fitting Firebird headlight applications.

Weather-proofing the connection is also recommended. But rather than taping-it-up and making the installation look sloppy, I inserted an O-ring within the connection before coupling it(circled in the pic below). A #206 O-ring(7/16" OD x 5/16" ID x 1/16" thick) fits perfectly, the connection is weather-tight, and it looks good.

In addition to the red O-ring you see on the mounting collar, which is standard for 9007 fitment, there's also an O-ring inside the mounting collar(not visible in the pics) on all LED sizes for sealing the thin gap between the mounting collar and the LED.

Last edited by LAFireboyd; 06-28-2014 at 03:09 PM.
Old 06-14-2014, 09:51 AM
TGO Supporter

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Car: 91 Black Formula KR
Engine: 305 TPI R69/G92
Transmission: Astro A5-Pro 5.0-McCleod
Axle/Gears: US Gear 3.42 Eaton True Trac

I have a 91 Firebird with the even smaller headlights....
I bought some Ebay housings, they weren't the bottom of the line..
They didn't seem to have a reflector or "cap" inside, but the lens had lines it it that provide a flat line of light, tapering up from the left to the mid flat line, then tapering up on the right for signs...
Those are still in the box
Currently int the car is ebay "projector" style. I have HID's at the moment but they don't light up the road as nice as your pics....

Rafael
Old 06-14-2014, 04:30 PM
Supreme Member

Hi Rafael. I'll eventually have a large reply for you because your questions happen to coincide with some things I was already planning to address regarding different types of headlight housings. But before I get into that, I have a question about your "projector-style" housings. Are the reflector surfaces in the housings black?
Old 06-14-2014, 05:12 PM
TGO Supporter

No black, they have have silver / chrome backing and a face "projector" ring in the middle of the lens...

The other "European" lenses are also silver / chrome back, but no "projector" lens, or silver reflector in the middle... you could clearly see the bulb you put in...

I like the O ring weather seal... the current ones in my car have not been sealed properly, and many of the ebay ones have those little blue "accent" lights too, more junk...

I need some thing nice, that works and stays nice...

Thanks

Rafael
Old 06-15-2014, 03:42 PM
Supreme Member

I think you'll be in good shape with the new housings you already have on hand, with your current HID kit.

Your new housings sound like E-Code housings, which are like stock-style sealed beam-type housings, but they're designed to use replaceable H4 bulbs. They have no bulb shields inside the housings, they have a smooth reflective surface inside the housings, and glass lenses that are designed to create the beam pattern. Testing on E-Code housings shows a better beam pattern than stock sealed beams, so if that's what you have, then they should perform similarly to, yet better than stock sealed beams. And since it's the glass lenses that determine the shape of the pattern of light, all light sources(Halogen, HID or LED) will provide similar results, just with different levels of brightness. So with the HID kit you already have, the results will be extraordinarily brighter than stock, with a better beam pattern than stock. So I think you're all set. And since you're apparently not happy with your current housings, then don't wait any longer to make the swap.

Last edited by LAFireboyd; 06-28-2014 at 01:39 PM.
Old 06-28-2014, 01:38 PM
Supreme Member

Re: LED Kits (similar to HID Kits) for Headlights/Fog Lights: Plug-N-Play (Review w/P

Hey Rafael, did you get your new headlight housings installed yet?

Something I forgot to consider is that, depending upon the color temperature of your HID kit, it's possible that might be causing your poor light output, if it's around 10,000K or higher(bluer).

Something in the range of 4,300K-6,000K would produce the best, brightest and cleanest light output. 8,000K should produce good results too. But anything higher will provide you with less visibility, regardless of the type of headlight housing in which you use it.
Old 06-28-2014, 01:52 PM
TGO Supporter

Re: LED Kits (similar to HID Kits) for Headlights/Fog Lights: Plug-N-Play (Review w/P

Not yet... work and house maintenance....

Yeah, I know / like the 4300 to 6000 that you said, the lower being a bit yellow and the higher a white / blueish... I have both of those for my cars...

Neither seem to be really bright on wet streets...

Rafael
Old 07-10-2014, 11:32 PM
Supreme Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Car: 88 Formula, 90 Iroc RIP, 92 RS Sold
Engine: 305 to 350
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 10 Bolt

Interesting

I will be in planning stages now for retrofitting miniD2S in some 4x6 housings was thing of doing quad bi xenon but rather keep the high beams for flash to pass so I was thinking just regular h4 halogen which would be best for this and along with bi xenon would be more than enough light output but was looking at these but was looking at these for the high beams , but wouldn't use these for low beams due to what I mentioned below

but my issue is that alot of led lighting Is directional and the fact that there directed on top and bottom seem light is being wasted and not full utilizing the reflector as the light is being directed towards them and more towards the top and bottom

hence why the beam pattern is different and led light looks soft with no real centralized beam

yes they may look brighter but if they can't effectively reflect the light on to reflectors

only using one led being used or both are on for low beam vs high beam?

There Silverstar IMO have a better beam pattern and would seem to have better distance vision compared to led and there's no much foreground lighting which is a good thing

Based on the comparison it looks the led lights mire of the foreground better but in turn is bad for long distance vision due to the constriction of the pupils due to brighter foreground

Also that to get best performance out of hid you need to retrofit a projector or buy a pre made one like the one linked above be op

Hid in regular 4x6 housing will just scatter the light and just be a waste of light
Old 07-14-2014, 07:30 AM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by Zach/90\irocZ
I will be in planning stages now for retrofitting miniD2S in some 4x6 housings was thing of doing quad bi xenon but rather keep the high beams for flash to pass so I was thinking just regular h4 halogen which would be best for this and along with bi xenon would be more than enough light output but was looking at these but was looking at these for the high beams , but wouldn't use these for low beams due to what I mentioned below
The new Mini D2S projectors with their square lenses should present an interesting appearance in 3rdgen Camaros. Your Camaro will probably be the only one with them, so be sure to create a thread about them and post pics.

But regarding LED performance in reflector headlights, I use only the low beams, and they're excellent, much better than the Halogen bulbs I was using, and a much simpler option than doing a projector retrofit. So for a 4-headlight system where your two main headlights are projectors with HID, rather than going to the work and expense of retrofitting a second pair of projectors for high beam headlights, you can't beat the simplicity of plugging these LEDs into reflector housings that match your retrofits' housings. They'll perform much better than the old sealed high beam headlights, and their appearance will look much better with the two new main projector headlights than the ugly outdated sealed high beams. So I do agree with your thoughts on the 4-headlight combination, that's why I made such a suggestion in my original post.

but my issue is that alot of led lighting Is directional and the fact that there directed on top and bottom seem light is being wasted and not full utilizing the reflector as the light is being directed towards them and more towards the top and bottom
True, LED lighting is directional, and OEM LED reflector headlights, which are beginning to be seen in newer cars and trucks, work the same as these LEDs do, reflecting their light off of the top and bottom of the reflector surfaces. Little light is wasted, as all of the light is directed toward the reflector surfaces that produce the most effective light output, unlike bulbs which send light into the useless areas of reflector housings, in effect, wasting light.

hence why the beam pattern is different and led light looks soft with no real centralized beam
The biggest difference between these LED kits and "other" LED kits is that these LEDs feature a reflector surface around the LED, which helps to distribute the emitted light over the housing's reflector surfaces better than simply having the LED alone. Therefore, rather than having a bright hotspot like Halogen bulbs produce, the would-be hotspot emitted by the LEDs is actually spread-out, rather than being centralized like the light from bulbs. So, yes, the LED's light does present a softer appearance because the light output is more uniformly distributed, and the hotspots are much less dominant.

yes they may look brighter but if they can't effectively reflect the light on to reflectors
It's the design of all reflector housings that the forwardly-directed light is reflected out of the upper areas of the reflector surfaces; the bottom surfaces are flat and useless and provide no reflective performance. That doesn't change, regardless of the light source. It's just that bulbs send light in all directions, which gives the frontal appearance of more light, when, in fact, much of that light isn't providing any benefit at all. The curvature of reflector surfaces is side-to-side(for width) and front-top-to-bulb-mounting-point at the back(for forward distance), with little-to-no curvature from the bulb down to where it meets the flat useless bottom. Even the high beams in a dual beam configuration are reflected off of the same upper areas of the housings as the low beams, just more brightly, and the bottom areas continue to provide no additional performance. So if light can be "wasted," it's more likely to be wasted from bulb-type light sources, not LED. LEDs direct their light onto the effective areas of the reflector surfaces, where all of the light is more fully usable.

Reflector housings in the newest cars are designed with symmetrically-balanced top-to-bottom reflector surfaces, with a bottom curvature that matches the top curvature, producing more balanced light reflection and performance, which is especially good for LED because high beam performance is dependent upon the lower areas of the reflector housing. Such designs produce optimal results with LED, so it's probably no coincidence that auto makers have redesigned their current reflector surfaces accordingly.

only using one led being used or both are on for low beam vs high beam?
All of the pics I posted are of low beams only[one LED per headlight]. When the high beams are activated, both LEDs are illuminated in each headlight. But in my housings, the high beams reflect up to the sky, due to the large flat bottom surfaces of the reflector housings, providing no assistance at all, which is why I don't/can't use the high beams, so there was no point in posting pics of the high beams because there's nothing to show. But as I've said, the light output from the LED low beams is good enough that, fortunately, I don't need high beams. High beam performance will vary due to the design of the reflector surfaces.

There Silverstar IMO have a better beam pattern and would seem to have better distance vision compared to led and there's no much foreground lighting which is a good thing
The Silverstars don't have better distance. They look strong at the 50' mark where they hit the garage door, but they fall shorter in overall distance than the LEDs, appearing to reach their limit around 150'. The light from the LEDs reaches farther and wider, easily achieving a viewing distance of about 180'-200' in front of you and almost as far in overall width. There's "scale" in all of the output pics, both on the road with the reflective pavement markers and in the storage facility with the parking spaces and bays. The light reaches far past those measurable points, but the camera only captures the light where it's most intense, whereas the human eye sees much more of the light than the camera can capture.

Based on the comparison it looks the led lights mire of the foreground better but in turn is bad for long distance vision due to the constriction of the pupils due to brighter foreground
These LEDs do light the foreground a lot. Fog/driving lights do too; that's their purpose, and I haven't heard anyone complaining of vision problems because of their fog lights. I can see farther up the road with these LEDs than I could with Silverstars. HID is even brighter and more intense.

Also that to get best performance out of hid you need to retrofit a projector or buy a pre made one like the one linked above be op
While this topic isn't about HID, I agree that projectors seem to be best for HID. But projectors and HID aren't mutually-exclusive. Halogen was used successfully in projectors for many years before HID was adapted to automobiles. And currently there are manufactured LED projector headlights on the market that are excellent. But whether or not removable LEDs or these particular LEDs will work well in projectors has yet to be seen.

Hid in regular 4x6 housing will just scatter the light and just be a waste of light
The design and duty of reflector housings is to "scatter" light, to spread the light to provide wider vision than older-style headlights, such as sealed beams. And with bulbs sending 360* of light into the reflectors in an uncontrolled manner, the results can vary. Some drivers have had good results with HID in reflectors, while others have had poor results, so the design of the reflector housing can affect performance and output here too, just as it can with LED. But there's danger to opposing drivers with HID in reflectors because the intensely bright beams of light shining toward them in such a widespread manner are HUGE and, therefore, blinding. With LED in reflectors, however, the light is also intensely bright, but it's directed onto the reflector surfaces in a controlled manner, so it's more fully-usable and "friendlier" than HID. That's why in my original post I stated that LED is a more suitable and safer choice for reflector housings than HID.
Old 07-14-2014, 03:33 PM
Supreme Member

Yea it's hard take good pic of light output with a camera that's what is was assuming when comparing the pics

yea leds are going to be brighter , brightens goes in order of halogen , led and the hid being the brightest

Fog lights isn't as bright as led or hid that's why nobody have no complaints of foreground lighting

Yea I been looking at some options for high beams only still up in the air and your only review and pics I seen of these

I have yet to see 4x6 produce a good beam pattern and technical yes it does scatter light but In all wrong directions hence like you mentioned blinding other drivers scatter of light light isn't a good thing

Thanks for the review not many if any are out there on this product
Old 08-14-2014, 11:04 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1991 Camaro Z28
Engine: 2002 SS LS1
Transmission: 6 speed
Axle/Gears: Auburn 3.42

Great thread. I will be doing this upgrade soon...
Old 05-10-2015, 12:31 PM
TGO Supporter

Been a while... my Firebird is not my daily driver.... but working around to the headlights now... I took out the e-code housings I had... the problem was, they had corner tabs that were way too big... I thought I would have to cut more of the headlight housing (already cut for bigger back end)... but I grabbed some vice grips and started going back and fourth on the corner tabs of the headlight housing (they were tac glued) and got them off... No more modding to car, and they will pop right in...

My HID kit has low beam HID and high beam Halogen....

So I"m looking at these LED kits...

Again, I have a 91 Firebird with 4x6 headlights and limited rear space behind headlights...

I found these 2 H4 Hi/Low Cree Leds... this first set has the smallest heat sink I've seen...
The 2nd set has bands of copper metal that act as a heat sink... again, both good ideas for limited space 91 and 92 Firebirds...

I may try the first ones, getting dimensions from seller... 3600 lumnes low and 4200 high... The fist ones also have a round bubble on led to disperse the light, instead of the reflector around the led... They both have deflectors to direct the light as needed as needed (they just don't shoot light everywhere)...

Thoughts...??

http://www.ebay.com/itm/281523665416?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
http://www.ebay.com/itm/231553283852?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
The "wire bands" can be moved, expanded, etc... to dissipate heat, no fan or heat sink as other designs...

Rafael
Old 05-12-2015, 05:57 PM
TGO Supporter

Well, taking a gamble... ordered a set of the top ones (with aluminum cooling fin / fan) as opposed to the copper wire strands...

Those round CREE leds with plastic bubble can put out 1700+ lumens each (4 inside 1 bubble) at 15w, and the light has 2, so just over 3500 lumens for low beams...
The 2 round Cree, different model, used on the side for high beam, are 10 watts each, bump up lumens to 4200 total... 50w total per bulb for low and high beam both on...

There is limited space behind the firebird lights... I looked at other HID lights, they have a motor that actually moves the bulb to expose more of it for high beams, but the part (motor) that sticks out the back of the bulb is too big for the firebird...

If these don't work out, I'll try the led copper wire ones next.

the dispersion angel on the cree leds is 120, and bulb has it angled up for superior low beam aiming... I'll post pics once the arrive with the e-code housings...

Rafael
Old 05-12-2015, 11:06 PM
Supreme Member

Received 138 Likes on 98 Posts
Car: '91 GTA, '92 T/A Convertible
Engine: GTA: 350 w/Vortec heads, T/A: 305
Transmission: Pro-built 700R4
Axle/Gears: GTA: 3.27, T/A: 2.73

Originally Posted by luvofjah
I'll post pics once the arrive with the e-code housings...
Please do. I've been wanting to upgrade my headlights, but as you are well aware it is a pain to find great kits that fit our smaller lamp housings. Raphael, if you don't mind could you PM me with what steps you have already taken with regards to your lights.

Eldon
Old 05-13-2015, 05:34 AM
TGO Supporter

I'm essentially starting over... Here are the autopal e-code headlight housings I'm using...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/120924077502?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
Here is pic of back...
http://cdn3.bigcommerce.com/s-wdolca...24.300.jpg?c=2

Note the pic from the back... the corners have this tab that was way too big for my 91 firebird.... so those I used the vice grips and took off... I shouldn't need anything now (maybe high density foam) but I feel it will be ok...

If you look at the front of the lens... the light starts low on the projected left side (to not blind oncoming drivers), then rises... and also has a bit of a kick up on far right (to read street signs)...

LED bulbs on the way...

Last edited by luvofjah; 05-13-2015 at 05:39 AM.
Old 05-13-2015, 08:05 AM
Supreme Member

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
Car: 91 Firebird
Engine: 6.0
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 3.73

I need to do something to improve driving my 'bird at night.

I will be subscribing to this post for updates!
Old 05-13-2015, 08:08 AM
TGO Supporter

The second set, with the copper wire mesh bands, has gotten good reviews... And ideal for Firebirds... I just wanted to try brighter first... Here are more pics / reviews of the second kind...

Amazon.com: JDM ASTAR 6TH Generation 2800 Lumens Cree LED Headlight, Xenon White(Total output 5600 lumens) (H4): Automotive Amazon.com: JDM ASTAR 6TH Generation 2800 Lumens Cree LED Headlight, Xenon White(Total output 5600 lumens) (H4): Automotive

Rafael
Old 05-13-2015, 10:44 AM
TGO Supporter

These Glass lens headlight housings are E-Code and DO NOT HAVE the corner tabs...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/130962775946?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2648&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
Rafael
Old 05-13-2015, 11:13 AM
Supreme Member

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts
Car: 1989 Camaro RS
Engine: LH6
Axle/Gears: 3.42 Auburn Posi

Please do post up your findings, I was considering the HID kit from Hawks but this seems to be a better solution.
Old 05-19-2015, 08:55 PM
Supreme Member

Best option I've tried so far see pics below

Looking to get hands on the led kit above for high beam flash to pass but in a projector housing haven't got around to it just been lazy to stop by the store to grab lol
but have switch all taillight To led

HID Projector Retro Fit
Also installed 3000k yellow hid in stock fog

Low beam
Name:  80930340-1D06-4D4E-9E34-A6D768C82C69_zpsse5wx0wu.jpg
Views: 3781
Size:  63.6 KB
High Beam
Name:  D1C86B83-4B12-4F92-9C3E-471CD3431AD1_zpszijep2pm.jpg
Views: 3736
Size:  70.0 KB

Fog and low beam
Name:  05C5B55A-442E-4163-8DCA-7222395CAE72_zpsxsdkxyic.jpg
Views: 3738
Size:  111.1 KB

And how they look
Straight on
Name:  F392D8DA-9B15-445C-9C5C-41C607EB4D10_zpsotiuwwe8.jpg
Views: 4776
Size:  190.2 KB

What's the length on those led bulbs
Old 05-20-2015, 08:29 AM
TGO Supporter

The Beam & Lighted Area on those looks great!
And your car does too!

The problem with lights for the Firebird is limited space...
The HID's that have HID for low and Halogen for High fit... I have those...
But the Dual HID's, which have a motor that sticks out of the back which slides the bulb back and fourth seems too long to fit...

I will get a pic of the Ecode with HID, then with LED when they arrive... a couple more weeks...
Old 05-23-2015, 01:49 PM
TGO Supporter

Got them in Thursday... Bench test in the house OMG, they are bright... I think the bright / flash spots are just disappearing from my eyes

One problem with the HID / Halogen bulb was that low as all HID, high was just the Halogen... yuck... This led was as I thought... Most of the brightness for low, about 3700 lumens, then the side ones turn on in addition for high beam, almost 4200...

I did an open test on the table... bright... then I put one in the ecode housing... It seemed to have the advertised pattern on the far wall, slope in from left, flat, slope up to right...

Only a few concerns... fit (tight or not), weatherproof-being a fan is in the back, and I would need to use some kind of sealant / silicone so moisture doesn't get into housing since it's a metal base and doesn't seal up 100%.

Pics when I can of them actually working in the car (I hope they fit!)

Rafael
Old 05-24-2015, 12:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what wheels are those they look bad *** on the car
Old 05-24-2015, 08:04 AM
TGO Supporter

Yahoo!
Preliminary test fit is a go!
The LED base sticks out from the light about 1 and 3/8" and does not touch!

Name:  20150524_084021_zpszv8wurov.jpg
Views: 3227
Size:  167.6 KB

As for Brightness? Here is LED and Halogen....

Name:  20150524_084120_zpsurjtxldt.jpg
Views: 3266
Size:  208.3 KB

It's Sunday morning here in FL, so against the laundry room wall, the low beam seemed to project low and the high did a good job as well. I'll try and get some night pics against the garage door if it's not pouring as expected tonight...

Some things to know...
If you've not done this on a Firebird... you will need to take out the headlight bucket and cut a bigger hole in the back. The stock size one is not big enough to allow aftermarket headlights to fit.

As for the corner tabs, the ones on my lights were huge... So instead of cutting into the bucket, I just vice gripped them off. I may need to use a small amouint of high density foam to tightly secure the light... It barely moves around just a bit.

The seller did state the fans could withstand rain...

I'm pulling them back out and silicone the LED's to the Housings to keep moisture out... More Pics when I get them...

Rafael
Old 11-12-2015, 09:54 AM
TGO Supporter

Well... driver's motor stopped working, got new ones, up down module stopped working, still going through all that... I do have the LED's in the housing and they both light up bright still... Been working on other / tranny / troque arm / rear end stuff... Once I get the headlights to both pop up, I'll take some more pics... I see the prices of he specific ones I got went down to $50 (I think I paid $80)....

So much BS info on Ebay with LED's...
They say 80 watts, but that doesn't mean they use 80 watts...
Then they say (as bright as an 80 watt bulb), uses 10 watts... (if the adds even tell you that)... And you see the same model light with varying Lumen ratings... They advertise 4000 lumen (in the ad, then oh, 2000 per bulp)
A bs landscape of misinformation... careful / research before buying...

I'll post pics in the next month or so when I get these fixed... they are still super bright..

Rafael
Old 11-22-2015, 05:49 PM
TGO Supporter

I didn't set them at the right height, but I did even them up...
They are brighter than incandescent... another car drove by with some when taking pics and his were not that bright... they do look brighter on the pictures than in real life...
I think they may need to be a tad higher...

Anywho... noticed some residue on the lens, inside... the heat sink has vents, which I think let in condensation...

With that, it would be nice to find a lens / housing that is air tight...
High / Low, against wall, then in the street with no street lights...

Name:  20151122_182230_zpssrlfta8t.jpg
Views: 3404
Size:  220.5 KB

Name:  20151122_182241_zps4qtcyjiz.jpg
Views: 3241
Size:  152.4 KB

Name:  20151122_182959_zpsfnpzhpsp.jpg
Views: 3287
Size:  219.9 KB

With high beams, the mailbox is more lit up...

Name:  20151122_183011_zpsi3sabbj7.jpg
Views: 3316
Size:  235.7 KB

Going to be switching the tail / turn signals to leds soon...
Old 11-26-2015, 06:28 AM

Car: 1992 RS
Transmission: Automatic

I'm confused... do Firebirds not use 4x6 headlights?

Because I've seen a few different 4x6 led headlight options out there.... not sure why you're using one of those

(feel free to school me on birds, all I know is camaros)
Old 11-26-2015, 07:43 AM
TGO Supporter

82-90 had 4x7, 91 & 92 had 4x6...
I had HID lights with housings already, so I wanted to try LED...
The sealed LED ones I've seen are a couple hundred or more...
Old 11-26-2015, 11:50 AM

I am pretty sure 82-90 has 5x7 headlights, I don't think 4x7 is a valid size
Old 11-26-2015, 11:52 AM
TGO Supporter

Iw wasn't sure, but knew they are different.
Old 11-27-2015, 02:58 PM

Car: '88 Trans Am GTA
Transmission: 700R4

It would be interesting to see how a sealed beam LED like the Lumens SLD57 compares to what the OP has done.
Old 11-29-2015, 09:24 AM

Car: 1992 RS
Transmission: Automatic

Ok cool, now I know!

Eventually when I return home, I plan to invest in some sealed LED headlights for my camaro, so I'll be sure to post a review up here when I do.
Old 12-03-2015, 11:15 AM

Car: 1991 Z28
Engine: L98
Axle/Gears: 3.73/Tru Trac

I got these LED headlights off Amazon. Light output is amazing, especially on high beam, and all 4 cost about $220.
Attached Thumbnails LED Kits (similar to HID Kits) for Headlights/Fog Lights: Plug-N-Play (Review w/Pics)-img_2729.jpg  
Old 12-04-2015, 05:25 AM
Supreme Member

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
Car: 91 Firebird
Engine: 6.0
Axle/Gears: 3.73

Link or brand or model number???
Old 12-04-2015, 05:28 AM
TGO Supporter

My only problem with those shown, if you have a Firebird and you use low beams, it only uses about a third of the total head light LEDs.
Old 12-04-2015, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by Jaysz28
Link or brand or model number???
They are the brand "Octane". I did a search for 4x6 LED lights on Amazon and several brands come up. They are basically a knock off of the Oracle brand lights for about half the price.
Old 12-04-2015, 10:44 AM
Supreme Member

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Car: 1983 Pontiac Trans Am Daytona 500
Engine: Crossfire 305ci V8
Transmission: Jasper 700R4 4 speed Automatic
Axle/Gears: 3.23 limited slip/posi

I would suggest trucklite or cree leds full conversion
http://www.4x4groupbuy.com/store/%E2...-p-114625.html

Last edited by KITT1983; 12-04-2015 at 10:48 AM.
Old 12-04-2015, 10:49 AM

Car: 1982 Z-28
Engine: 383
Transmission: Turbo 350
Axle/Gears: Det. Posi, Superior Axles, 3:73 G

Originally Posted by NWFreerider
They are the brand "Octane". I did a search for 4x6 LED lights on Amazon and several brands come up. They are basically a knock off of the Oracle brand lights for about half the price.
I like those. Any night pics to see the brightness?
Old 12-07-2015, 06:10 PM

I do not but the next time I take the car out at night I will try to get some. I don't drive it in the rain and up in the NW we are getting a LOT of rain. The lights put out a lot of light and make driving at not a lot nicer, plus they look pretty cool when they aren't on. I have Trucklite LEDs on my Jeep Wrangler and the lights on my Camaro are much brighter.
Old 12-08-2015, 07:11 AM
TGO Supporter

NWFreerider, correct me if I'm wrong, you have the lights that the rows are even, correct? There is another similar, where the top & bottom rows are closer together and the middle row being wider... (the trucklite / genssi) ones...

What I've noticed from looking around and seeing pics... the ones you have, for low beam, light up at the bottom, but the trucklite ones from the top...

Another thing I noticed... the trucklite ones seem to have a concave / convex lens to disperse the light, where the other lights do not...

You said your Camaro is brighter, but I think you stated in your Amazon review that you're using all for for low beam... correct?

Thanks,

Rafael
Old 12-08-2015, 09:30 AM

luvofjah, the rows are even. On low beam, the outer lights light up the top row and the center part of the middle row. I guess if the light was flipped over then the bottom would light up on low beam. On high beam, all 4 lights are fully lit. Each light has 15 LED cells. I don't recall saying on Amazon that I use them for low beam only. I will post a pic later of the lights on low and high.
Old 12-08-2015, 09:35 AM
TGO Supporter

Not low beam only... but that you used all 4 for low beams, instead of just 2, etc...
Old 12-08-2015, 02:39 PM

No. Only the outer are for low beam. I read my review and I never said that. There was an issue with all the cells glowing when on low beam which I rectified with a load resistor. They work as they should. On these cars they are definitely not just plug and play.
Old 12-08-2015, 02:47 PM
TGO Supporter

My apologies, there was another camaro owner...
Yeah, I would of hooked up all 4 for low, then all for for high with switch which would of been REALLY bright, but my firebird only has 2

I'll probably try these out sometime since I can't find any housings that seal air tight...

Rafael
Old 12-08-2015, 03:07 PM

Low and high beam
Attached Thumbnails LED Kits (similar to HID Kits) for Headlights/Fog Lights: Plug-N-Play (Review w/Pics)-img_2874.jpg   LED Kits (similar to HID Kits) for Headlights/Fog Lights: Plug-N-Play (Review w/Pics)-img_2876.jpg  
Old 12-08-2015, 03:10 PM
TGO Supporter

Yeah, the low is only 1 light partially, high is both lights, full LED...
You could wire the inside light to do low beam too, if you needed more light...

I see some people putting these in both ways, low beam LED's at top, or low beam LED's on the bottom... ???
Old 12-08-2015, 03:11 PM

You wont regret installing the appropriate size LED lights in your car. Just remember they may need "NO LOAD RESISTORS" installed inline also. They are cheap and just plug inline between the lights and the factory harness.

Quick Reply: LED Kits (similar to HID Kits) for Headlights/Fog Lights: Plug-N-Play (Review w/Pics)