Auto Detailing and Appearance Share tips and tricks on how to make your Third Gen shine! Get opinions on products or how something tasteful looks on your Chevrolet Camaro or Pontiac Firebird.

Good day for a drive and pics

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2016, 05:20 AM

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Car: 1985 IROC-Z
Engine: L69
Transmission: T-5
Axle/Gears: 373 Limited Slip
Good day for a drive and pics

Old 09-28-2016, 06:12 AM
Supreme Member

Received 721 Likes on 490 Posts
Car: 89 Firebird
Engine: 355 TBI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 10 Bolt.Posi-3.73s
Re: Good day for a drive and pics

Gorgeous car! Gota be a blast with that manual gearbox too!
Old 09-28-2016, 07:43 AM

Received 76 Likes on 34 Posts
Car: 1988 Trans Am w/ WS6
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: 5-Speed

Great looking Camaro that I bet is still a blast to drive. The light blue looks fantastic, which of course I'm partial too. Thanks for sharing!
Old 09-28-2016, 09:10 AM

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Car: 1988 IROC-Z
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: T56 swap ongoing
Axle/Gears: 2.77 9-bolt Posi

Beautiful car!

Your sig mentioned you were a former GM employee, and walked the car through assembly. Did you work at Norwood, or Van Nuys? If you worked at Norwood, you may have known my uncle, who worked there for several decades.
Old 09-28-2016, 01:36 PM

I worked at Norwood! I fixed my signature..thanks! I knew many people, however most had nicknames back in the day..lol and some we really never knew their given name. Ex: Ratchet, Grey Beard, Duck, Pearl..haha crazy times.

Last edited by z28cop; 09-28-2016 at 01:42 PM.
Old 09-28-2016, 01:50 PM

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Car: 1988 IROC-Z
Transmission: T56 swap ongoing
Axle/Gears: 2.77 9-bolt Posi

That's pretty neat. My uncle is Bobby Gosnell..it was a big plant, and you probably wouldn't have known everyone...

We had a '67 SS/RS when I was growing up, his marks were under the hood. He took us for a tour of the plant in '69...I still remember that very well. Wish I had a few "samples" of the production they did that day.
Old 09-28-2016, 06:29 PM
Supreme Member

Received 54 Likes on 38 Posts
Car: 86 Trans Am WS6
Engine: 383 stroker
Transmission: Dynamic Racing Reverse Manual 700r4
Axle/Gears: 9 Bolt 3.45

would love to know what it was like putting these cars together back in the day, it's a story for another thread I'm sure though.
Old 09-28-2016, 11:10 PM

Originally Posted by TylerSteez
would love to know what it was like putting these cars together back in the day, it's a story for another thread I'm sure though.
It was hard hot work, but if you were a car guy...what a blast. Not like todays air conditioned factories with their "Lift Assist machines". Good for quality and better working conditions, but we did it the old fashion way. Lift it your self, crawl in the car, contort your body in whatever way was necessary. Yea we had our problems, but black and white, asian etc... we all got along and got the job done. I remember when we bombed Libya in 86. All the radios were on, and we all cheered for America. We had preachers that sang and preached at break. Practical jokes played on each other, like putting skunk oil on peoples cloth gloves while they were on break..haha. Probably have a policy against all of these now. One person would buy a newspaper, read a section and when finished, put it in the car and pass it on down to the next person who wanted to read it. You would read it and put it in the car and send it on down. There was a job in the Trim Dept. where you just cleaned out all the paper or trash that was in there..lol We'd tape signs on the car to ask your buddy about lunch plans that worked on down the line somewhere. Who needed smart phones. 8-9 hours looking at Camaros amd Firebirds. I always took my breaks in one of the finished cars, playing with the Pontiac Digital dash that was built then on hiatus, then built, then on hiatus... dont think they ever mastereed that. I also would keep a running tally off the build sheets of where all the cars were going on a particular day. Penn. got a lot of F cars for sure. What a bunch of great people though. Was a sad day the last day of production for sure. If you want a good ol read, get a copy of Rivethead. Most GM plants were very similar to this. It was a world of its on inside those walls.
Old 09-29-2016, 04:25 AM
Supreme Member

Received 54 Likes on 38 Posts
Car: 86 Trans Am WS6
Engine: 383 stroker
Transmission: Dynamic Racing Reverse Manual 700r4
Axle/Gears: 9 Bolt 3.45

Originally Posted by z28cop
It was hard hot work, but if you were a car guy...what a blast. Not like todays air conditioned factories with their "Lift Assist machines". Good for quality and better working conditions, but we did it the old fashion way. Lift it your self, crawl in the car, contort your body in whatever way was necessary. Yea we had our problems, but black and white, asian etc... we all got along and got the job done. I remember when we bombed Libya in 86. All the radios were on, and we all cheered for America. We had preachers that sang and preached at break. Practical jokes played on each other, like putting skunk oil on peoples cloth gloves while they were on break..haha. Probably have a policy against all of these now. One person would buy a newspaper, read a section and when finished, put it in the car and pass it on down to the next person who wanted to read it. You would read it and put it in the car and send it on down. There was a job in the Trim Dept. where you just cleaned out all the paper or trash that was in there..lol We'd tape signs on the car to ask your buddy about lunch plans that worked on down the line somewhere. Who needed smart phones. 8-9 hours looking at Camaros amd Firebirds. I always took my breaks in one of the finished cars, playing with the Pontiac Digital dash that was built then on hiatus, then built, then on hiatus... dont think they ever mastereed that. I also would keep a running tally off the build sheets of where all the cars were going on a particular day. Penn. got a lot of F cars for sure. What a bunch of great people though. Was a sad day the last day of production for sure. If you want a good ol read, get a copy of Rivethead. Most GM plants were very similar to this. It was a world of its on inside those walls.
Wow that's fascinating, thank you so much for that
Old 09-29-2016, 12:46 PM

Received 50 Likes on 30 Posts
Car: '89 Iroc Z28-15,100 Original Miles
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: Limited Slip, 2.77 Ratio

Originally Posted by z28cop

What a great story, thanks for sharing.