Car Audio Car audio related questions and helpful hints for building the best sound system for your car or getting the most out of what you have.

Speakers fading in and out

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2016, 07:23 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 91 Camaro RS
Engine: 305 TBI LO3
Speakers fading in and out

So it's been a while since i posted on here..and by a while, I mean years. Took the car out for the first drive of the season today. All of my gear is Eclipse - back when Eclipse was good. I'm talking pre- best buy, only sold in hifi shops good. Not the cheap crap they sold before they went outta business.

I got a 1 din, non fancy cd player. Wire harness in the back of the head - power, remote turn on, ground, and constant are from the car. RCA's (2 sets) back to the back of the car down the drives side, along with a 9 cable loom - 2 connectors / speaker, plus remote turn on. 2 amps in the trunk area - one 4 channel powering the speakers, one 2 channel running mono bridged for my dvc subs. Basically audio signal gets to the back down the RCA's (one stereo pair for the 4 channel, one stereo pair for the subs), then for the 4 speakers runs signal runs back up front via that 9 conductor cable, and splices into a harness for the car stereo harness. Subs - basically again, RCA back, out of the amp, to the subs direct. Power goes down the pass side, ground goes right to the chassis in the back.

Driving today, audio at...borderline hearing loss SPL, I notice the right side (didn't figure out if it was the front or the back or both) starts fading, (not cutting) out. Thought it was the artsy fartsy cd I was listening to, as they like to pan and whatnot, flipped cds, still the same issue.

So any thoughts at all as to what would cause the sound to FADE in and out? Cutting in and out - no brainer. Chopped or loose wire. Fading in and out though..well, that has me stumped. Volume stays constant as far as I can tell to the left side.
Old 05-25-2016, 07:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1990 firebird
Engine: V6 3.1
Transmission: Automatic
Re: Speakers fading in and out

Mine did that, turned out to be the radio. (old Keenwood) Sounds would fade in alll channels after long music sessions at high volume. Replaced with a new pioneer unit and working great now.
Old 05-27-2016, 06:21 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 91 Camaro RS
Engine: 305 TBI LO3
Re: Speakers fading in and out

Lovely. Don't really wanna replace the head, but i do have a spare i can swap out first to try and see what happens. Thanks for the input xzavior. Anyone else w/some ideas? 109 views, 1 reply.

What happened to this place w/all the ads lately? I know it brings revenue..but holy hell a page takes for ever to load now, and scripts crash the hell outta it.