Carburetors Carb discussion and questions. Upgrading your Third Gen's carburetor, swapping TBI to carburetor, or TPI to carburetor? Need LG4 or H.O. info? Post it here.

where can i get quadrajet ccc tools??

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2011, 08:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 86 Firebird LG4
Engine: 350
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 3.23 limited slip
where can i get quadrajet ccc tools??

I'm looking for the tools needed to rebuild a cc quadrajet everytime I find a place that somebody says they sell them at it either is discontinued or doesn't exist. I think there were 2 tools for the paddle, one for the TPS, and one for rich adjustment outside of the carb. and then like 2 tools to adjust the idle air bleed valve? not sure. I need your help.
Old 02-17-2011, 09:36 PM

Car: 85 TA (sold), 88 Corvette, 02 Monte
Re: where can i get quadrajet ccc tools??

Almost all of us resort to improvising or making tools.

For the tps, most people use a roll pin rather than the correct tiny nut driver. Which I think is like 2.5mm. A lot easier to turn the tps if you push the tps plunger all the way down with something while doing it.

Any other adjusting screws that you'd need a weird driver for (rich stop, front idle), just cut a slot in top then you can turn them with a flat screwdriver. Cant do that for the tps though. It's too small, and seems to be some harder metal, I tried and my files wouldnt cut it.

For the lean stop gauging tool in figure 6c1-11 here, I filed down the back half of a pen to the precise 1.304 inches. Most people just seat the screw and back it out a couple turns. While setting that, make sure your solenoid plunger is straight, its common for it to push one needle lower than the other.

The cane-shaped idle air bleed gauge tool in 6c1-18 is pointless. Just seat it then back it out three. That gets it close enough that you can get into closed loop, and at that point you'll be adjusting it while the engines running based on your dwell meter anyway (thats one real tool you'll need, advance auto is where i got mine).

Any thickness gages like in figure 6c1-56 and 59, just dig through some drill bits, pins, paper clips, and measure them with a caliper to find one close.

That bubble angle thing, well thats another thing people say to just set to certain distances of choke opening. What I did was make one. Took a protractor, drew out all the angles I needed on some card stock, attached that to some heavy wire, magnet on the bottom, string with a weight hanging from the top. Bend the wire so when the chokes closed its at zero, tilt the choke and the weight swings the string and aligns with your marks at the right angles. Yes it's completely ridiculous and crude, but its free and works just fine.

Oh do yourself a favor and if you're putting screws into the choke thermostat housing, use a real tap first. The screws that come with the kit are self taping, but not as sharp as a real tap, and you're very likely to split the metal and pop the corner off.
Attached Thumbnails where can i get quadrajet ccc tools??-angles.jpg  
Old 02-17-2011, 11:46 PM

Car: 86 Firebird LG4
Engine: 350
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 3.23 limited slip

Thanks a lot for the info!
Old 02-22-2011, 10:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 87 Camaro Z-28
Engine: 305 LG4 w/ E4ME carb
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 2.73

Originally Posted by Sparkytfl
Almost all of us resort to improvising or making tools.

That bubble angle thing, well thats another thing people say to just set to certain distances of choke opening. What I did was make one. Took a protractor, drew out all the angles I needed on some card stock, attached that to some heavy wire, magnet on the bottom, string with a weight hanging from the top. Bend the wire so when the chokes closed its at zero, tilt the choke and the weight swings the string and aligns with your marks at the right angles. Yes it's completely ridiculous and crude, but its free and works just fine.
The cool homemade bubble gauge idea is cool!

Here are my ideas on making other tools. Credit due: This page was borrowed from Monte Carlo SS forum and was by Bob. Anyway, I was able to blow up the the photo so that when printed on my printer the dimensions measured very close to exact length of the tools. You can print then measure and make adjustments necessary to come up with 1.304. If you are interested in the IAB tool use a few inches of 2 AWG copper plus and tape a little paper metric scale in the middle. You can use the photo as a plan (with a little allowance for printer variation as needed).
Attached Files
File Type: doc
thexton 370 tomco 13725 -.doc (812.5 KB, 1209 views)
Old 02-24-2011, 09:51 PM

Car: 1984 pontiac trans am Recaro
Engine: 305 HO L69
Transmission: 5 speed
Axle/Gears: 10 bolt, 373, disc rear

As far as the tool for the Mixture solenoid I just used a screw driver style schrader valve tool and that fit right on that screw, I just rebuilt mine and i had no idea that the TPS was adjustable! that may be the reason when i floor it i have a hesitation.
Old 02-26-2011, 01:28 PM
Supreme Member

Received 316 Likes on 259 Posts
Car: 89RS vert
Engine: Erod
Transmission: 4L65e
Axle/Gears: BW, 3.27

Made my TPS & rich/lean stop from some brass tubing & the gauging tool from a ball point pen.The other stuff i adjust with the eng running.
Old 02-26-2011, 01:54 PM

I kept the cap on the pen, it seems more like the solenoid thing wants a flat surface in the middle to be measured against.
Old 02-26-2011, 02:01 PM
Supreme Member

Received 316 Likes on 259 Posts
Car: 89RS vert
Engine: Erod
Transmission: 4L65e
Axle/Gears: BW, 3.27

What kind of pen?The papermate seen to taper down on the top.So the cap looked to narrow to fit over the metering jet.
Old 02-26-2011, 02:31 PM

http://media.photobucket.com/image/b...croundstic.jpg
These I think. The typical white-tube pen.