Cooling Discuss all of the aspects of cooling that you can think of! Radiators, transmissions, electric fans, etc.

Puddle under Front nose, radiatorleak? (Picture)

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2016, 04:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: FBody '91 V6 3.1
Puddle under Front nose, radiatorleak? (Picture)

Hi guys,

Recently I bought a 91 FB, 3.1 V6. I started recently with working on the car (new injectors, sp.plugs etc) few small things but yesterday I saw a small puddle right under the front nose. I have made a picture to clarify.

While this is my first US car (i'm Dutch) i think this could a leaking radiator? The thing which in do not understand: there is nothing in my nose on that exact spot which could cause the puddle. I mean, the radiator it self is way more back...

Does anybody have a smilair experience as me? Or do you recognize it? Perhaps i overlooked an other thread? My Dutch car 'vocab' is better then my english, perhaps i searched with the wrong words

Anyhow, hope to hear from guys!

Thanks, D.

Old 03-04-2016, 05:09 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1988 IROC-Z
Engine: 5.7L TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: No G92
Re: Puddle under Front nose, radiatorleak? (Picture)

Hi, I may have had a similar experience to you. When my radiator leaked it was on the driver side, where the plastic met the metal. It came out in small amounts when the system was under pressure.
If that is antifreeze on the ground, you could check your radiator. I would also tighten the hose clamps.
Hope your radiator isn't leaking and it's just water or condensation or something. :/
Old 03-04-2016, 05:11 AM

Before I forget

The most darkest puddle (fresh) and the one in front of that are the ones I mean
Old 03-04-2016, 05:18 AM

Is it antifreeze?
Old 03-04-2016, 05:35 AM

Thanks! I'll check the hoses.

The antifreeze comes from the reservoir on the left side of the engine, right? Well that's blue colored. When I rub my fingers through the puddle it's more a watery, colorless substance. Little bit dirty, but that's it

Ad: the puddle is alway at the tip of the nose...right beneath the licenseplate

Last edited by Donald Croes; 03-04-2016 at 05:41 AM.
Old 03-04-2016, 06:19 AM

Yes, the reservoir is on the passenger side. Antifreeze can look clear in small amounts, but it usually smells sweet.
It looks like there is a drop of something on your air dam if I'm not mistaken, that black plastic that hangs down and channels air up into the car for cooling. Maybe there is something above that dripping?
I'm not sure why the puddle is so far forward, unless it's falling on something and traveling along a hose or part of the body before it falls.
It may just be water. Has there been rain? Or the Air Conditioner condensing water and it's flowing there? Or water trapped in the body there behind the plate or fog lights, etc?
Old 03-04-2016, 06:37 AM

Alrighty, thanks a lot

I'll check this evening if the substance is smelling sweet.
Air dam, sharp sharp! I'll have a look at that to

The car has been sitting in rain until last week (thursday). After that it has been inside a parking-lot, no rain at all. So there could be good chance, water got stuck somewhere.
I'll also place a white cardboard plate this evening.

So Air Dam, hoses, water trapped or Arico. I'll get back to you when I checked it tomorrow

Keep you posted!

D.
Old 03-04-2016, 01:18 PM

Okidoki,

Went to checkup on my FB. Yesterday's fresh puddle was almost dried out and there was no new puddle or extra fluids on the ground, check...

I wiped my fingers though the left over stain on the ground and smelled it. No sent what so ever. It felt little bit greasy, little bit of 'blackish' on my fingers but nothing more....check

I swiped my hand over the bumper to feel if there was any moisture on it. On the spot where the puddle was, it felt little bit greasy. But also, no color or sent

Next step, back flat on the ground, phone flash on and check the air dam. I saw the spot on the dam and looked up. Nothing up there that would give me the slightes idea for a leak.

But I looked at the radiator to see if I could find any suspicious things. I saw something that got me worried. (Forgot to take a picture). Right dead center of the radiator I saw a grey matter smeared over an area of a couple of inches. It looked like a kit you use with tiles...

My 2 cents: when the engine is running and is building up heat and pressure, a little drizzle squirts out of that 'kitted' peace from the radiator, onto my bumper..there you go, a puddle....it's a theory...and ill check it tomorrow.

Am i making sense? I'll check the hoses and stuff like that. But i will also fire up the engine, let it run for a while and lay on the floor and check the radiator

If anybody has extra ideas or what ever, feel free to opt-in!

Cheers

D
Old 03-04-2016, 01:44 PM

Realised something: if the radiator is leaking from that 'kitted' part, you would see antifreeze/ coolant on the radiator, right? Well that isnt there....

Anyhow, i'll check it tomorrow with a fired up engine

Originally Posted by Donald Croes
Okidoki,

Went to checkup on my FB. Yesterday's fresh puddle was almost dried out and there was no new puddle or extra fluids on the ground, check...

I wiped my fingers though the left over stain on the ground and smelled it. No sent what so ever. It felt little bit greasy, little bit of 'blackish' on my fingers but nothing more....check

I swiped my hand over the bumper to feel if there was any moisture on it. On the spot where the puddle was, it felt little bit greasy. But also, no color or sent

Next step, back flat on the ground, phone flash on and check the air dam. I saw the spot on the dam and looked up. Nothing up there that would give me the slightes idea for a leak.

But I looked at the radiator to see if I could find any suspicious things. I saw something that got me worried. (Forgot to take a picture). Right dead center of the radiator I saw a grey matter smeared over an area of a couple of inches. It looked like a kit you use with tiles...

My 2 cents: when the engine is running and is building up heat and pressure, a little drizzle squirts out of that 'kitted' peace from the radiator, onto my bumper..there you go, a puddle....it's a theory...and ill check it tomorrow.

Am i making sense? I'll check the hoses and stuff like that. But i will also fire up the engine, let it run for a while and lay on the floor and check the radiator

If anybody has extra ideas or what ever, feel free to opt-in!

Cheers

D
Old 03-05-2016, 03:00 PM
TGO Supporter

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Car: 87 Formula/ 00 Xtreme
Engine: TPI 305/ v6
Transmission: struggling t-5/ 4l60E
Axle/Gears: 3.08/ 3.23

Originally Posted by Donald Croes

If you are looking at the radiator from underneath the front, that is the a/c condenser (if the car is still stock and came with a/c).
Old 03-07-2016, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by deadbird
If you are looking at the radiator from underneath the front, that is the a/c condenser (if the car is still stock and came with a/c).
Thanks Deadbird. Looking at the color of the liquid, not sweet and more transparant. I searched a bit on the forum and it could also be my a/c condensor. I didn't have to start my FB, tomorrow ill finally have some time and post an update

Thanks!
Old 03-07-2016, 11:21 PM
Supreme Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 1989 Iroc-Z Camaro
Engine: TBI,5.0
Transmission: Automatic 700R4
Axle/Gears: Eaton Posi,3.42,LPW Ultimate Cover

Animals like to drink anti freeze. Its poison and will kill them.
Just licking it can make them very ill.

Either cat litter or better yet the actual product used for oil/chemical spills they sell is cheep and good to have around.
Small spills ,just put it down, step on it and grind it in a little. Sweep it up.

OK, If you cant find it then here's a thread I started that can save you a lot of hassle , or at the very least eliminate a suspect.

= https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/afte...detection.html

Last edited by Ron U.S.M.C.; 03-07-2016 at 11:35 PM.
Old 03-08-2016, 04:24 PM

Well, after some work on my car today, I fired up the engine, let it run for a while (10 min), punching the throttle every now and then and checked if there were any leaks. Running motor, nothing. Turned of the engine and waited to see if something would happen. After 30 minutes, still nothing....

So for now, i'll just let it be. The stain from the other day is still on the ground, dried up. Perhaps it was condense with some dirt.

If anything new happens, i'll keep you updated. Thanks for all the tips guys!

Cheers
D.