Cooling Discuss all of the aspects of cooling that you can think of! Radiators, transmissions, electric fans, etc.

Error Code 15

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2016, 08:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 84 Camaro Z28
Engine: 305HO
Transmission: 5 Spd
Axle/Gears: 373 Gears
Error Code 15

I'm getting a code 15 which is COOLANT TEMPERATURE SENSOR (CTS) CIRCUIT (LOW TEMP). Anyone know more about this and what I need to do to fix it?
Old 05-05-2016, 07:00 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1,672 Likes on 1,269 Posts
Car: Yes
Engine: Usually
Transmission: Sometimes
Axle/Gears: Behind me somewhere
Re: Error Code 15

Means that the engine temp reported to the ECM by the CTS did not reach some reasonable value in some reasonable length of time. Not sure the exact #s, but, it's something like, 120°F within 10 minutes. Obviously ANY engine, in ANY ambient temp however cold, will do that; it's impossible for it not to; if the CTS says otherwise, then it's because the CTS is lying.

Low temp = open circuit; i.e., unplugged

The old sort of "coaxial" looking connector they originally used, is renowned for failure. Replace the CTS with the modern version with the new-style 2-pin connector.

http://www.autozone.com/engine-manag...?checkfit=true

Solder and heat-shrink the wires: DO NOT try to get by with just butt splices. The sensor with pigtail included is available at parts stores, you don't have to track them down separately.
Old 05-05-2016, 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by sofakingdom
Means that the engine temp reported to the ECM by the CTS did not reach some reasonable value in some reasonable length of time. Not sure the exact #s, but, it's something like, 120°F within 10 minutes. Obviously ANY engine, in ANY ambient temp however cold, will do that; it's impossible for it not to; if the CTS says otherwise, then it's because the CTS is lying.

The old sort of "coaxial" looking connector they originally used, is renowned for failure. Replace the CTS with the modern version with the new-style 2-pin connector.

Solder and heat-shrink the wires: DO NOT try to get by with just butt splices. The sensor with pigtail included is available at parts stores, you don't have to track them down separately.
Thank you for this great information. I will be sure to give this a try and post my results. Big thanks again.
Old 05-06-2016, 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by sofakingdom

Thank you for your suggestion sofakingdom, the new sensor seemed to have put the service engine light to rest. I switched the sensor and two prong connector as you recommended. Thanks again for the information.
Old 05-06-2016, 05:40 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1,672 Likes on 1,269 Posts
Car: Yes
Engine: Usually
Transmission: Sometimes
Axle/Gears: Behind me somewhere