DIY PROM Do It Yourself PROM chip burning help. No PROM begging. No PROMs for sale. No commercial exchange. Not a referral service.

Never tune around a bad ignition coil

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2015, 07:07 PM
Supreme Member

Received 193 Likes on 167 Posts

So back in February, I posted about a system voltage spike to ~16V that seemed to make the car run stronger, until I found the issue and corrected it.

https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/diy-...injectors.html

Originally Posted by ULTM8Z
Also, a curious thing happened a several weeks ago too (while running the 24's)... I had a faulty alternator connector (basically some corrosion on the terminals) that resulted in the system voltage spiking to around 16V. I took the car out for a drive (not noticing this initially) and coincidentally with a update on the tune and was shocked at the increase in torque. I thought I made a huge improvement in the tune, but I then noticed the voltage, pulled over, unplugged and reconnected the connector and the voltage returned to normal (14.5V). At that point, the power increase was gone and I've never been able to replicate it since.
Well, I think the ignition coil may have been on the way out and this spike in the system voltage somehow momentarily compensated for it.

The car has been running strong since then, but like I said, I could never replicate the power level I felt that day no matter how much tuning.

So I figured since the issue was something electrical, I'd go after the ignition coil.

Bingo!

I bought a Pertronix flame thrower coil and immediately got that power back.

Interesting thing now is I've been having to pull fuel back out all over the place in the calibration as a result. I had been richening AE, VE, and PE and to some extent it helped, but with the new coil, it's too rich...

The car is responding to calibration changes much better now that the ignition is back up to par.

BTW, I e-mailed Pertronix to see about what I should expect if I bought their module as well. I'm reading around the net where people are saying the module and coil should be matched. I currently have a factory GM module.

What do you guys think?

Last edited by ULTM8Z; 05-16-2015 at 08:00 PM.
Old 05-16-2015, 07:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Never tune around a bad ignition coil

I'm also running the same ICM and a pertronix distributor. Please post their response when they get back to you. I've always wondered how they compared to a GM ignition control module.
Old 05-17-2015, 08:44 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad it worked out!

^ This is true!

The only thing that may be more maddening is having a bad connector between functioning parts. I had a bad connector on my WB and it drove my tune in circles. I thought I had an exhaust leak for the longest time. And a bad O2 sensor... LOL
Old 05-17-2015, 10:23 PM
Supreme Member

Wow, another revelation... (I've been starting to really think about the ignition system after the coil swap proved so effective).

Curious about the grounding scheme of the distributor, I took the distributor out, drilled a small hole in the bottom of housing and mounted a braided ground strap. Then took the other end of the strap and hooked it up to the back of the cylinder head (the same head that has the main engine ground strap).

I'll be damned.... I actually felt a performance improvement. And proving to myself it's not my imagination, the BLM's dropped again forcing a whopping~7% reduction in VE's mostly in the mid-range. The coil swap forced about a ~5% reduction. So overall, the improvement in the ignition resulted in a huge power increase while needing roughly 10-12% less fuel. My guess is my mpg also improved significantly as well.

This was definitely unexpected even though I thought it was worth a shot... I would have thought the metal-to-metal connections with the bare metal manifold, clamp, and dizzy housing would have been a good enough ground for the distributor. But I suppose the path through the manifold, and the manifold bolts (which actually have anti-sieze on them) may not have been sufficiently conductive path.

Moral of the story is make sure your ignition systems have adequate grounds!!

Man, I CANNOT WAIT until the next dyno day over here...
Old 05-17-2015, 10:51 PM
Supreme Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Car: 92 ZR-1
Engine: LT-5
Transmission: ZF-6
Axle/Gears: SuperDana 44 4.10

Makes u wonder what would happen with using CnP ignition?
Old 05-18-2015, 11:59 AM

Car: BMW 735
Engine: 383 W/ SUPERAM
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.64

Are you using a small or large cap HEI?
Old 05-18-2015, 12:17 PM
Supreme Member

It's a large cap.
Old 05-18-2015, 12:17 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by Dominic Sorresso
Makes u wonder what would happen with using CnP ignition?
Probably a dumb question once you tell me what it is, but what's a CnP ignition?
Old 05-18-2015, 04:58 PM

Probably a dumb question once you tell me what it is, but what's a CnP ignition?
Coil-on-Plug
Old 05-18-2015, 05:00 PM

FWIW- I've had terrible luck with coils from Autozone, NAPA, O'Reilley's, and Advance.
Old 05-19-2015, 08:51 AM

Received 215 Likes on 201 Posts
Car: check
Engine: check
Transmission: check

Coil-Near-Plug, such as used on the LSx engines.

RBob.
Attached Thumbnails Never tune around a bad ignition coil-gn_cnp_09b.jpg  
Old 05-20-2015, 08:45 AM
Supreme Member

Received 386 Likes on 329 Posts
Car: 1983 G20 Chevy
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: 4L60
Axle/Gears: 14 bolt with 3.07 gears

My 1997 350 Vortec Express van had noticeably lost grunt, was running a bit rough cruising down the highway in overdrive and had some occasional misfiring that was too sporadic to turn on the Service Engine Soon light. Got some cold, wet weather and when I went to start it, the engine refused to fire, just sat there and turned over. Very weak spark when I started my diagnostic checks. Immediately blamed the cap and rotor as they are bad about having issues. Pulled the coil wire off the distributor and tested the spark, still very weak. Sprayed some DW40 over the top of the coil and the engine started. Swapped coils with the coil that came off my Mercruiser intake manifold. Immediately picked up a huge amount of low-end torque and my short term fuel trims were -20 to 25% on both banks until my long trims leveled out about -10 to -15%. I had also been masking a bad/weak ignition setup with extra fuel.

I ended up still having the sporadic misfire and that turned out to be a worn/knife edged distributor drive gear. At WOT it would run fine, at higher RPM/low load like crusing down the highway in 3rd gear trailing the throttle coming down hill with a trailer it would miss noticeably.

Name:  20150303_225757_zpstekmwsj0.jpg
Views: 199
Size:  56.5 KB

I also wonder how my engine would run with the EFI Connection 24x reluctor and CNP ignition. I have seen the results of a PCM/Ignition system swap on a 450 HP LT1 engine that gained over 25 HP and nearly matching torque numbers across the whole RPM range. I am sure some of it is from the PCM and better fuel management, but I bet a large chunk of the power gain is from having a hotter spark by having longer dwell time for the individual coils.

Last edited by Fast355; 05-20-2015 at 08:55 AM.
Old 05-20-2015, 09:35 AM
Supreme Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Car: 92 ZR-1
Engine: LT-5
Transmission: ZF-6
Axle/Gears: SuperDana 44 4.10

Fast,

I recall Grumpy suggesting that the CnP was responsible for a significant part of the power coming from LSx based motors. Perhaps RBob can verify that but I remember Bruce telling me that during a phone conversation when he was converting his GN to CnP. One reason why I have trying to find a way of adapting that to the LT-5. I suspect a high revving motor would benefit from having individual coils and hotter spark.
Old 05-20-2015, 12:21 PM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 86 Monte SS (730,$8D,G3,AP,4K,S_V4)
Engine: 406 Hyd Roller 236/242
Transmission: 700R4 HomeBrew, 2.4K stall
Axle/Gears: 3:73 Posi, 7.5 Soon to break

Damn, I think you've pointed to the weak spot in my system too!
Covering with too much fuel..., odd grounding of dizzy case (small cap), can't get power I had before coil change,module change, cap rotor plugs and wires make no difference. Every time I'd play ignition parts, BLM changed as described.
Going to do some testing this weekend on the dizzy grounding for sure.

Thanks for sharing the experiences.
Jp
Old 05-20-2015, 01:16 PM
Supreme Member

Lol... I seem to get all the wierd crap happening to me...

So when I/we finally figure it out, I post it up so hopefully others don't have to slog through it like I do.

I'm very close to publishing my Miniram start bin 2.0. Just having to fine tune a few areas in the bin.
Old 05-22-2015, 08:37 AM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by whatif3387
I'm also running the same ICM and a pertronix distributor. Please post their response when they get back to you. I've always wondered how they compared to a GM ignition control module.
Got a reply from Pertronix... it's a little open ended though. They don't seem to be saying for sure I'll see any improvement...

You should match the coil with the module; they are designed to work together for a hotter spark and you may see improved performance or fuel economy gains or both. HEI modules are very reliable and we don't see many issues with them.
Old 05-22-2015, 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by RBob
Coil-Near-Plug, such as used on the LSx engines.

RBob.
RBob- has anyone integrated EFI Connection's 24x system with EBL? CnP is a direction I've kicked around for a future mod... just wondering if it's been done yet.

ULTM8Z- sorry of this hijacks your thread. Just figured as we are on the topic of spark, coils, and distributors that I'd ask. Hope that's okay.
Old 05-22-2015, 09:42 AM
Supreme Member

No worries... I'm interested as well!

Originally Posted by CORV3TT3
RBob- has anyone integrated EFI Connection's 24x system with EBL? CnP is a direction I've kicked around for a future mod... just wondering if it's been done yet.

ULTM8Z- sorry of this hijacks your thread. Just figured as we are on the topic of spark, coils, and distributors that I'd ask. Hope that's okay.
Old 05-22-2015, 10:55 AM

No worries... I'm interested as well!
There is a system EFI Connetcion sells for carbed motors.

I understand the ECMs used for EBL Flash / P4 don't drive DIS systems... but was wondering if the carb system could be adapted since it is more of a stand alone.

But I've probably answered my own question... I mean, the 6AL could run it- but wouldn't talk with the ECM the way it would need to.

Last edited by CORV3TT3; 05-22-2015 at 10:59 AM.
Old 05-22-2015, 12:05 PM

Received 215 Likes on 201 Posts
Car: check
Engine: check
Transmission: check

Originally Posted by CORV3TT3
The 24x system is based on the LS1 PCM. No, won't work with a current EBL system. Could likely use an external interface box to do so, but most would still go with the LS1 PCM.

I understand the ECMs used for EBL Flash / P4 don't drive DIS systems
Oh but they do. No problem running a GM DIS system with an EBL system. So far every EBL SFI-6 Flash ECM is running a factory DIS set up.

If I can ever find the trigger wheel I'm going to retro-fit a car with DIS running an EBL Flash ECM (TBI). I put it someplace 'safe' so it wouldn't get damaged or lost...

RBob.
Old 05-22-2015, 02:54 PM
Supreme Member

More from Pertronix when I pressed on the "may" part of the earlier reply...

If your old coil was weak (low output) and you installed a new coil you would feel the improvement; it’s not the case for the module, If your engine is well maintained (tuned up) you may not feel the improvements.

I'm probably not going to try their module... I'm skeptical I'll see anything that'd be worth the money.
Old 05-22-2015, 09:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

More from Pertronix when I pressed on the "may" part of the earlier reply...

If your old coil was weak (low output) and you installed a new coil you would feel the improvement; it’s not the case for the module, If your engine is well maintained (tuned up) you may not feel the improvements.

I'm probably not going to try their module... I'm skeptical I'll see anything that'd be worth the money.
I was hoping they would share with you some info as far as how the ICM causes the SA to advance or retard at certain RPMs compared to say a GM 369 and the other GM tbi icms...