Search

Go Back   Third Generation F-Body Message Boards > Tech Boards > Engine Swap
Register Forgot Password?

Engine Swap Everything about swapping an engine into your Third Gen.....be it V6, V8, LTX/LSX, crate engine, etc. Pictures, questions, answers, and work logs.

Welcome to ThirdGen.org!
Welcome to ThirdGen.org.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join the ThirdGen.org community today!

Old 09-09-2003, 05:46 PM   #1

Classifieds Rating: (0)
putting a 454 bigblock into a 89 iroc

I need help with putting a 454bb into my camero Ihave looked on line and cannot find any info on it. My wife is starting to bribe me with presents to get rid of my camero. If I can start on it she will leave me alone. please help!!!!!!!!!!!!
89IrocCamaro is offline vBGarage Page   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2003, 06:34 PM   #2

Car: '83 Z28, '07 Charger SRT8
Engine: 454ci, 6.1 Hemi
Transmission: TH350, A5
Axle/Gears: 2.73 posi, 3.06 posi

Send a message via MSN to Air_Adam
Check out the "Motor Swap" section of this board, the big block swap has been covered quite a bit.
Air_Adam is offline vBGarage Page   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2003, 09:25 PM   #3
Banned

Car: Trans am

Send a message via AIM to nolanr0413
camaro camaro camaro
nolanr0413 is offline vBGarage Page   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2003, 10:23 PM   #4

Car: 1999 T/A
Engine: LS1
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 4.11

I still have a hard time when people who OWN camAros still spell it with an E...

EDIT: furthermore, scrolling down about half a page, you'd've seen another thread about this very subject.

oh and before anyone else snags this one:

use the SEARCH button... someone wanna post the pic?

-John
The Hottest Place on earth, Arizona
1999 Trans AM LS1/T56
Still a Third-Gen Lover at heart
Falconiroc is offline vBGarage Page   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2003, 01:09 AM   #5

Car: '88 IROCZ
Engine: 363 Vortec w/Miniram
Transmission: built 700r4

you guys are a lot of help. www.9bolt.com check it out, there are lots of resources there. it can be done, but it's not easy. you'll need to fabricate exhaust, get a 2" cowl hood minimum, and dimple your firewall for the distrib. you'll also need old style accessory brackets and you can only run V-belts. I suggest getting an electric waterpump, removing power steering and A/C to do it. You'll also need some heavy duty cooling for a hot big block. Get big electric cooling fans and a three core radiator. I suggest aluminum heads to keep underhood temp down (anything you can possibly do). You will NOT pass emissions with a big block ever so I suggest running off road pipes and make your fabrication easy unless you care about the environment like me and wish to run a high flow cat to at least keep the thing clean as a BBC can be. Fuel injection is incredibly expensive so I'd rule it out unless you've got a HUGE budget. As for exhaust, hooker makes headers for the swap (look it up on summit), but you'll need to fabricate the rest of the exhaust. also suggest getting a BUILT transmission and running a 12 bolt (unless you've got a stock 9-bolt in there). if you get hood pins and remove the latch assembly you'll free up a lot of space and make maintenence easier. your cars balance will be thrown off so you'd need to tune your suspension so you can hook. I'd really recommend a big inch small block, but they are a lot more expensive to build than a similar output BBC and won't be as streetable. Good luck.
Black363IROCZ is offline vBGarage Page   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2003, 11:13 AM   #6

Car: 88 Camaro
Engine: 427 BBC
Transmission: T400

It's all on my page at www.koolmeister.com

Miles
88 427 Camaro is offline vBGarage Page   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2003, 09:38 AM   #7
Daz
Supreme Member

Car: 87 Camaro
Engine: Chevy V8
Transmission: auto

Classifieds Rating: (1)

Quote:
Originally posted by Black363IROCZ
you guys are a lot of help. www.9bolt.com check it out, there are lots of resources there. it can be done, but it's not easy. you'll need to fabricate exhaust, get a 2" cowl hood minimum, and dimple your firewall for the distrib. you'll also need old style accessory brackets and you can only run V-belts. I suggest getting an electric waterpump, removing power steering and A/C to do it. You'll also need some heavy duty cooling for a hot big block. Get big electric cooling fans and a three core radiator. I suggest aluminum heads to keep underhood temp down (anything you can possibly do). You will NOT pass emissions with a big block ever so I suggest running off road pipes and make your fabrication easy unless you care about the environment like me and wish to run a high flow cat to at least keep the thing clean as a BBC can be. Fuel injection is incredibly expensive so I'd rule it out unless you've got a HUGE budget. As for exhaust, hooker makes headers for the swap (look it up on summit), but you'll need to fabricate the rest of the exhaust. also suggest getting a BUILT transmission and running a 12 bolt (unless you've got a stock 9-bolt in there). if you get hood pins and remove the latch assembly you'll free up a lot of space and make maintenence easier. your cars balance will be thrown off so you'd need to tune your suspension so you can hook. I'd really recommend a big inch small block, but they are a lot more expensive to build than a similar output BBC and won't be as streetable. Good luck.

You dont need to dimple your firewall for the distributor.You dont need to fab the WHOLE exhaust either.You only need to fab a "y" to the stock cat-back although a 3.5" or bigger would probably be ideal.your car balance wont be as bad as being "thrown off" a little heavy on the nose but you wont even notice unless youre flying to a corner..I have the stock IROC springs in the front and the handling is great.

Daz
Daz is offline vBGarage Page   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2003, 09:38 AM
ThirdGen
1992 Camaro

Paid Advertisement

Go Back   Third Generation F-Body Message Boards > Tech Boards > Engine Swap

Tags
454, 89, bb, big, block, camaro, chevy, fuel, generation, injection, iroc, put, putting, rs, small, swap, z28