Fabrication Custom fabrication ideas and concepts ranging from body kits, interior work, driveline tech, and much more.

Rear Diffuser, Front Splitter & Rear Wing

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2014, 07:16 AM
Supreme Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Car: 88 Formula 350
Engine: 5.7
Transmission: T-56
Axle/Gears: 9" 3.89
Re: Rear Diffuser, Front Splitter & Rear Wing

I am also interested. Where does it mount? Would I be able to run one on my Formula without changing bumpers?
Old 12-20-2014, 09:44 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: GTA
Engine: Bone Stock 350ci HSR T-76 Turbo
Transmission: T56 6-speed
Axle/Gears: Stock

Slowly but surely the newly designed 3rd gen diffuser it's done.
Same dimmensions as the universal but with a more subtle, smaller radiused duck tail to conform with the rear bumper and thus keeping it under a more "stockish" look. I will post pics as soon I installed it on my friend's Camaro TT.

Now, back to GTA track time/Solo1 story.
I am shamefully happy to inform that my T56 is not broken and it never was...
What I thought was an internally broken to pieces tranny turned out to be a broken 1/2" inch 12 grade hex bolt on my chromemolly torque arm that was hitting the driveshaft union. But since the noise and vibration only occured during load only and nothing while turning the wheels by hand it completely fooled me that day into thinking that my T56 was a goner!
But wow, a 1/2" inch 12 grade bolt sheared like it was done by a knife, talk about torque!!!! only in V8's baby!

Ok, so I replaced the bolt, check this and that and headed for the track(road racing) last weekend and guess what another damage... the new EBAY master clutch pump was a goner. What a piece of $hit!!!! PLEASE dont bother buying "ebay brand" clutch pumps, this is my second one it's not a matter of luck it's just because they suck plain and simple.

Since racing season is over I will be addressing the clutch hydraulics issue, probabbly end up making a custom made cable clutch system(any thoughts on this matter will be appreciated), also will be deleting the wing and bite the bullet and rework the rear hatch in order to make a F40 style wing with cockpit adjustable AOT. The front splitter will definately be designed and installed. And will shave the 277lbs pounds to make it a flat 3000 punder contender.
The GTA currently weighs 3277 with a full tank, no driver and the heavy 1/8" stainless steel wing mounts. In order to get to the flat 3k lbs mark I will remove the curret wing and make the F40 style one, remove the stock GTA power(driver, with pump and all the whistles) seats (about 100-120 pounds) and replace it with a 20 pound Sparco unit. Replace the stock Kenworth/Mack like starter with a ministarter. Replace the cast iron H2O pump with an aluminum one. Replace the factory sealed iron heads with aluminum ones. Replace the T-tops with custom made lexan units. Cut the rear cat back and make a shorter side exhaust. And remove stuff like the wipers and unessesary things.
That should shave the 277's right? Suggestions?
Old 12-20-2014, 10:31 AM
Supreme Member

Received 174 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by BBSDesigns
Slowly but surely the newly designed 3rd gen diffuser it's done. Same dimmensions as the universal but with a more subtle, smaller radiused duck tail to conform with the rear bumper and thus keeping it under a more "stockish" look. I will post pics as soon I installed it on my friend's Camaro TT...
Good deal Ed, will be ordering one as soon as they're ready...

- Rob
Old 12-24-2014, 05:40 AM
TGO Supporter/Moderator

Received 89 Likes on 75 Posts
Car: '88 Formula, '94 Corvette, '95 Bird
Engine: LC9, 355" LT1, LT1
Transmission: T5, Zf6, 4L60E
Axle/Gears: 3.42, Dana44 3.45, 3.23

Slowly but surely the newly designed 3rd gen diffuser it's done.
Same dimmensions as the universal but with a more subtle, smaller radiused duck tail to conform with the rear bumper and thus keeping it under a more "stockish" look. I will post pics as soon I installed it on my friend's Camaro TT.

Now, back to GTA track time/Solo1 story.
I am shamefully happy to inform that my T56 is not broken and it never was...
What I thought was an internally broken to pieces tranny turned out to be a broken 1/2" inch 12 grade hex bolt on my chromemolly torque arm that was hitting the driveshaft union. But since the noise and vibration only occured during load only and nothing while turning the wheels by hand it completely fooled me that day into thinking that my T56 was a goner!
But wow, a 1/2" inch 12 grade bolt sheared like it was done by a knife, talk about torque!!!! only in V8's baby!

Ok, so I replaced the bolt, check this and that and headed for the track(road racing) last weekend and guess what another damage... the new EBAY master clutch pump was a goner. What a piece of $hit!!!! PLEASE dont bother buying "ebay brand" clutch pumps, this is my second one it's not a matter of luck it's just because they suck plain and simple.

Since racing season is over I will be addressing the clutch hydraulics issue, probabbly end up making a custom made cable clutch system(any thoughts on this matter will be appreciated), also will be deleting the wing and bite the bullet and rework the rear hatch in order to make a F40 style wing with cockpit adjustable AOT. The front splitter will definately be designed and installed. And will shave the 277lbs pounds to make it a flat 3000 punder contender.
The GTA currently weighs 3277 with a full tank, no driver and the heavy 1/8" stainless steel wing mounts. In order to get to the flat 3k lbs mark I will remove the curret wing and make the F40 style one, remove the stock GTA power(driver, with pump and all the whistles) seats (about 100-120 pounds) and replace it with a 20 pound Sparco unit. Replace the stock Kenworth/Mack like starter with a ministarter. Replace the cast iron H2O pump with an aluminum one. Replace the factory sealed iron heads with aluminum ones. Replace the T-tops with custom made lexan units. Cut the rear cat back and make a shorter side exhaust. And remove stuff like the wipers and unessesary things.
That should shave the 277's right? Suggestions?
So do you guys still have a website or ??

When are you becoming our 51st state??

-- Joe
Old 12-24-2014, 01:20 PM
Supreme Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Car: 1992 Camaro RS
Engine: Vortec headed 355, xe262
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 9-bolt 3.70

Just some stuff you guys might find useful...

http://ecomodder.com/forum/403091-post100.html

Name:  cfd_model_zps5ad19e37.png
Views: 2079
Size:  394.3 KB

CFD Models

1. Stock 1990-1997 Mazda Miata
2. Stock 1990-1997 Mazda Miata at a 4in Ride Height
3. Small Front Air Dam at 4in Ride Height
4. Small Air Dam with Splitter at 4 in Ride Height
5. Large Air Dam at 4in Ride Height
6. Large Air Dam with Splitter at 4in Ride Height

Note: The air dam and/or splitter is 2 inches off the ground in study 3-6

http://www.formula1-dictionary.net/ground_effect.html

http://www.formula1-dictionary.net/splitter.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automobile_drag_coefficient
https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/tbi/...0-vs-83-a.html

You can crunch some interesting numbers with all this information, I think.

The chart regarding horsepower lists Area times drag coefficient. Our frontal area is generally right around 2m^2 (in one of hte other links).

If you can SUPER streamline the car and have a firebird, you can get the cd down to maybe .30. The least aerodynamic of our cars is probably going to be nearly .40, but probably average out to be around .35 or .36 normally.

So for that chart, our best case scenario is the blue line, and our worst case scenario is between the green and yellow line, which the safest estimate being the green line.

The other thing to note, is that the splitter ideally is twice the length of the ground clearance it has.

Our front bumpers dont lend themselves to splitters very well, but if you made something removable for the track it would probably work well. Nuffnuff's splitter seems close to ideal except on the street.

But if you read through the page on splitters, and the page on ground effect, you can see a lot of interesting addendums to it.

The splitter is meant to control the amount of air going under the car. You then increase the volume under the car in the back of the car to create a net low pressure area. The only effective way to do all this is a belly pan setup with a diffuser. A splitter and diffuser alone I dont think will accomplish a whole lot, especially since our cars are bottom feeders and have a lot of air that just gets blown back up at the hood at the front of the car and there's so much turbulence UNDER the car. If you can smooth out the bottom of the car, there's HUGE potential for effective ground effect I think, without having to use huge spoilers.

For the record, it's my understanding that the huge drag racing spoilers that go straight back off the decklid are for getting rid of vortices coming off the back of the car. They greatly reduce drag but offer no downforce. They work the way the bump spoiler on a prius works, essentially, which is how our factory Camaro spoilers work as well.

This video also has some really interesting comments from the guys who designed the Porsche 956 and 962 talking about how the formula 1 method for ground effect downforce wasnt nearly as effective in full-bodied cars.

This is the Porsche 962 rear diffuser venturis
Attached Thumbnails Rear Diffuser, Front Splitter & Rear Wing-porsche_962_119_diffuser.jpg  
Old 06-17-2015, 04:43 PM

Thread update!!!! Finally replaced the fugly wing, now is F40 style!
Also did some hood louvers to help remove excess heat.
Attached Thumbnails Rear Diffuser, Front Splitter & Rear Wing-wp_20150613_17_29_41_pro.jpg   Rear Diffuser, Front Splitter & Rear Wing-wp_20150613_001.jpg   Rear Diffuser, Front Splitter & Rear Wing-wp_20150615_21_19_24_pro.jpg   Rear Diffuser, Front Splitter & Rear Wing-wp_20150615_21_24_44_pro.jpg  
Old 07-10-2015, 02:13 PM
COTM Editor

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Car: 91 Z28, 87 SC, 90 IROC, 92 RS
Engine: LS1, 305 TPI, L98, NADA
Transmission: T56, 700r4's, and NADA
Axle/Gears: 3.89, 3.42, 3.23, NADA

Looks good. Let us know about the diffusers
Old 07-10-2015, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by InfernalVortex
Just some stuff you guys might find useful...

http://ecomodder.com/forum/403091-post100.html

http://www.formula1-dictionary.net/ground_effect.html

http://www.formula1-dictionary.net/splitter.html

Automobile drag coefficient - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/tbi/...0-vs-83-a.html

You can crunch some interesting numbers with all this information, I think.

The chart regarding horsepower lists Area times drag coefficient. Our frontal area is generally right around 2m^2 (in one of hte other links).

If you can SUPER streamline the car and have a firebird, you can get the cd down to maybe .30. The least aerodynamic of our cars is probably going to be nearly .40, but probably average out to be around .35 or .36 normally.

So for that chart, our best case scenario is the blue line, and our worst case scenario is between the green and yellow line, which the safest estimate being the green line.

The other thing to note, is that the splitter ideally is twice the length of the ground clearance it has.

Our front bumpers dont lend themselves to splitters very well, but if you made something removable for the track it would probably work well. Nuffnuff's splitter seems close to ideal except on the street.

But if you read through the page on splitters, and the page on ground effect, you can see a lot of interesting addendums to it.

The splitter is meant to control the amount of air going under the car. You then increase the volume under the car in the back of the car to create a net low pressure area. The only effective way to do all this is a belly pan setup with a diffuser. A splitter and diffuser alone I dont think will accomplish a whole lot, especially since our cars are bottom feeders and have a lot of air that just gets blown back up at the hood at the front of the car and there's so much turbulence UNDER the car. If you can smooth out the bottom of the car, there's HUGE potential for effective ground effect I think, without having to use huge spoilers.

For the record, it's my understanding that the huge drag racing spoilers that go straight back off the decklid are for getting rid of vortices coming off the back of the car. They greatly reduce drag but offer no downforce. They work the way the bump spoiler on a prius works, essentially, which is how our factory Camaro spoilers work as well.

Flat Out In a Le Mans Winning Porsche 962 - /CHRIS HARRIS ON CARS - YouTube

This video also has some really interesting comments from the guys who designed the Porsche 956 and 962 talking about how the formula 1 method for ground effect downforce wasnt nearly as effective in full-bodied cars.

This is the Porsche 962 rear diffuser venturis
Wow!!! GREAT INFO!!! THANKS!👍
Old 07-12-2015, 10:33 PM

Car: 1986 Pontiac Firebird
Engine: 383 SBC
Axle/Gears: Hawks 8.8 with 4.10’s

Hood louvers! I'm guessing those are one-offs as well? I've been thinking about making/finding something similar as my car is carbureted and so sucks hot air from under the hood which becomes very noticeably heat soaked around town. I'd love Love LOVE to see those babies become available!!!
Old 07-13-2015, 08:33 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 86 Iroc
Engine: LS3
Axle/Gears: 3.73

Originally Posted by SilverChicken
Hood louvers! I'm guessing those are one-offs as well? I've been thinking about making/finding something similar as my car is carbureted and so sucks hot air from under the hood which becomes very noticeably heat soaked around town. I'd love Love LOVE to see those babies become available!!!
If you are looking for functional hood louvers then look no further. I recently purchased a set of these and the quality is top notch.
http://www.camarolouvers.com
Old 07-13-2015, 09:53 PM

I guess I should mention my car is a Firebird. Otherwise I'd be all over those!
Old 07-14-2015, 10:17 PM

I guess I should mention my car is a Firebird. Otherwise I'd be all over those!
Are you interested in a pair just like mine or without the tow hook slot provision?
I made mine out of ga#18 stainless steel, one piece, laser cut. They are lightweight, crackproof, rust proof, flexible and work great sucking out heat.
Old 07-14-2015, 11:35 PM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 89 RS 89 iroc 87 firebird
Engine: 3.1 Turbo/ 355 twin turbo
Transmission: a4 w/ 4500 stall/ a4 / t5
Axle/Gears: strange s60 /w 3:42's

Are you interested in a pair just like mine or without the tow hook slot provision?
I made mine out of ga#18 stainless steel, one piece, laser cut. They are lightweight, crackproof, rust proof, flexible and work great sucking out heat.
bbs any interest in sponsoring a car going to the silver state classic and boneville this year ?
Old 07-16-2015, 05:39 PM

No sir I would NOT need the tow hook provision.
Old 06-03-2016, 07:58 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Car: 92 Camaro Rs.R
Transmission: wc t-5
Axle/Gears: 3.42

Old 06-05-2016, 11:50 AM

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Morrow, were you able to mount the diffuser without modifying the storage well in the cargo area?

Best one I have seen so far, The outer side skirts are a big plus.
Old 06-05-2016, 12:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 86 camaro iroc z
Engine: 355 LT1 Full Roller
Axle/Gears: 9 bolt 3.73 posi

morrow has peaked my interest. did you go about making that front splitter? and how is it attached to the chin?
Old 06-15-2016, 01:00 PM

Duuuude! Where did you get or how did you make that front splitter? Looks awesome.
Old 06-15-2016, 11:51 PM

Yes the diffuser mound without any modifications to the rear floor. Exhaust however is another story.. I did fit the magnaflow up there though and dumped it through the diffuser,, thus creating a blown diffuser.... The splitter I made from crotch .. 1/2 high density foam.. Two layers of fiber glass then three layers of carbon on the lip.. Portion you can see... It mounts through the bottom up through the factory chin making it removable.. It is also molded where it meats the factory body smoothly.. All hand layed in my garage.. Measures 68x32 and covers the entire front end to the tires.. It is cut open to let the air dam through .. Also mounts to the core support.. We are currently trying to get them into production... The production model will be 100% carbon fiber hollow core and weigh around 4 or 5 pounds I would guess.. They would go for 900 or so a peice and would still be removable as well...
Old 06-15-2016, 11:53 PM

Old 06-16-2016, 12:15 AM
Supreme Member

Received 56 Likes on 39 Posts
Car: 87 TA clone
Engine: 70/70 Turbo 5.3 LS
Transmission: bullet proof 2004R
Axle/Gears: ford 8.8, 3.55 gears

Any plans for a TA version of the front splitter?
Old 06-16-2016, 01:11 AM

If the Camaro one goes into production. Then yes
Old 06-16-2016, 08:54 AM
Supreme Member

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts
Car: 1989 Camaro RS
Engine: LH6
Axle/Gears: 3.42 Auburn Posi

My exhaust dumps before yours does, so I shouldn't have an issue with mounting it. If you need any more test dummies, let me know.

I'm really excited to see you progress with this, glad to see somebody wants to make their car a road racer and not a drag car.

How are you liking the R888s?

Last edited by RubberDucky; 06-16-2016 at 09:29 AM.
Old 06-16-2016, 03:15 PM

Best tires I have ever used ..... Period... So far the current aero setup is doing very well
Old 06-16-2016, 05:04 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by morrow
Best tires I have ever used ..... Period... So far the current aero setup is doing very well
Good to hear, been wanting a set for my Vette wheels.
Old 06-18-2016, 11:36 AM

I would definitely get a set... With the set up I have right now ... I have yet to get them to even squeal... The car is extremely planted and the tires have a big part in that
Old 06-19-2016, 10:24 AM

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Morrow, thanks for all the great pics and info. This should inspire more of us to do the same or similar.
Old 06-20-2016, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by 83RDRACR
Morrow, thanks for all the great pics and info. This should inspire more of us to do the same or similar.
Thanks for the kind words man.
Old 06-27-2016, 04:06 PM

Old 11-25-2016, 11:09 AM

Car: 87 IROC
Engine: 434
Transmission: TKO600

If the Camaro one goes into production. Then yes
morrow, any update on getting that front splitter into production?

I also like the rear spoiler extension that you did, any chance that will be produced?

Thanks
Old 11-26-2016, 10:02 PM

Unfortunately the production of the splitter hasn't gotten any where .. Lots of companies want to do them for me but they also want the rights to them so I'll basically get screwed lol ... I do make the spoiler extensions and diffusers. The diffuser is a bit costly to ship though...
Old 11-26-2016, 10:20 PM

Unfortunately the production of the splitter hasn't gotten any where .. Lots of companies want to do them for me but they also want the rights to them so I'll basically get screwed lol ... I do make the spoiler extensions and diffusers. The diffuser is a bit costly to ship though...
Morrow,
I appreciate that you share with us your splitter, diffuser and wing extension with us, but I think is a bit rude to hijack another fellow 3rd gen member thread to offer your parts for sale. Maybe is me, but I call that manners.
Old 12-02-2016, 09:09 PM

Morrow,
I appreciate that you share with us your splitter, diffuser and wing extension with us, but I think is a bit rude to hijack another fellow 3rd gen member thread to offer your parts for sale. Maybe is me, but I call that manners.
No no. I was no trying to high jack anything from anyone. I simply posted pictures because that's what the thread is about.. I may learn something or what I did may give people ideas to do them selves. Many people know I was planning to get the splitter into production for a while and this member happens to be one of them.. Which is why he asked... Simple as that... I'm not trying to high jack a thread to sell parts... I honestly don't care about selling parts... I care about helping people with there cars.... Sorry bud
Old 12-03-2016, 12:05 PM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 89' IROC-Z
Engine: LO3
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 10-Bolt/2.73

So what ever did happen to this thread and BBSDesigns Splitter backers? After 2014 this thread took a huge vacation for about 1 year, then came back for a week or two and died again for 1 more year.

So thanks morrow for reviving this again. I don't see any pictures of anyone getting theirs or of BBS ever making them for others in the "aesthetic" version. Please update this thread properly guys. Otherwise thanks to morrow for at least keeping it going and bringing it forth to myself as "I would like" to be part of these group buys for bigger badder things on our 3rd Gen's. Otherwise I would not have found this thread...more than likely ;P ;P

So could we get a proper update of the splitters, diffusers and wing in a single post or maybe update the original. Never been a fan of updating threads through posts rather than the original post. Keeps it clean and easier to read all updates when they're in the original post with update tags. Easy to go back to page 1 for all info vs page 4 post #877 and page 7 post #1541. See what I mean? My build thread is coming soon, it'll be the cleanest build thread and most comprehensive of any on TGO. Just tired of the searching and researching needed on TGO when most info can be found on the front pages if people would take the time and update threads in a new fashion and get away from updating though posts. So make a new informative post, but then also post it to the front page with an update tag so I can read all updated info on 1 page.

Thanks guys. Either BBS or morrow. Either of you will be my go to guy for these things. I still want a set of extended a-arms and definitely want an aesthetic diffuser (since Drifting is my main goal I don't want it to work too good lol). Still a toss up of what I want vs what I need for the Camaro. Thanks guys for furthering the 3rd Gen cars into the future with these products and visions. Adios for now.
Old 12-07-2016, 11:11 AM
Supreme Member

Shipping the rear diffuser couldn't be that much?
Old 12-10-2016, 09:32 AM

I don't think anything was ever done for anyone. His last post was July 2015 in response to my inquiry obout the louvers and I never heard anything more nor purchased them myself. I did eventually get them, turns out 07-13 GT500 Super Snake louvers look and work FANTASTICALLY!

Last edited by SilverChicken; 12-10-2016 at 09:45 AM.
Old 03-23-2017, 10:58 PM

I don't think anything was ever done for anyone. His last post was July 2015 in response to my inquiry obout the louvers and I never heard anything more nor purchased them myself. I did eventually get them, turns out 07-13 GT500 Super Snake louvers look and work FANTASTICALLY!
I still have a few sets of louvers 👍🏻
Old 03-26-2017, 01:09 PM
Supreme Member

Received 76 Likes on 66 Posts
Car: 1991 Z28 Vert
Engine: 383 single plane efi
Transmission: T-56
Axle/Gears: 8.8 with 3.73s

I still have a few sets of louvers 👍🏻
I know you've said it before, what louver is on your hood currently?
Old 03-26-2017, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by Tibo
I know you've said it before, what louver is on your hood currently?
the louvers on my car are called the RsR louvers. I have three sets left pm me