History / Originality Got a question about 1982-1992 Camaro or Firebird history? Have a question about original parts, options, RPO codes, when something was available, or how to document your car? Those questions, answers, and much more!

alternate RPO code location

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2003, 09:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: '91 TA Green
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: 700R4
alternate RPO code location

are there any other places where i can find the RPO codes because the RPO sticker on the inside of the console was ripped off... i was wondering if there are any other places i can retrieve the codes?
Old 02-09-2003, 09:59 PM

Car: 1992 Firebird
Engine: 3.1 V6
Transmission: 700R4
check the locking compartment in the trunk (on driver's side)
Old 10-01-2016, 01:37 PM

Re: alternate RPO code location

Not meaning to drag up an old thread, but my recently purchased 1989 GTA has a sticky spot where the code sticker was in the console, and no sign of one in the rear compartment in the hatch. Is there anywhere else to look, or am I destined to never completely know about the options this car had?
Here's what I know:
1989 Pontiac Firebird GTA
5.7L MFI
Auto trans
Positrac
Tan (saddle) leather seats (the fronts are weird spaceship style with inflatable lumbar supports).
Was white (was white with gold aero and spoiler, but I think that it was originally all white - but I can't tell, it looks like it was repainted white at one time as well).
A/C.
Cruise control.
Power windows, locks, steering, brakes.
Rear window defroster
Unknown radio - it is missing (but it does have the radio controls in the horn button).
BBS style wheels (look like they were gold at one time.

The thing that I would like to know the most is if it was possible that it originally was white with gold aero and spoiler. Anyone have any info?

THANKS!
Old 10-01-2016, 02:49 PM
JT
Community Administrator

Received 255 Likes on 184 Posts

On the 1989, it was located on the inside wall of the center console. So if it's not there, it's gone. There is no secondary location for the SPID for this year.

Only two options are:
1) Find the buildsheet. Note that many buildsheets were removed from the factory or dealer, so you may not find one. If there is one, it could be located anywhere in the car.

2) Order a copy of the invoice from GM Archive. Note the invoice does not list every single RPO code that the SPID would have. But it does list major options:
http://www.gmmediaarchive.com/

GTAs never came from the factory in two-tone color. So White with Gold aero package was not possible unless a dealer or previous owner did so.

Lastly, many standard equipment on the GTA was optional on the Trans Am. How do you know for sure you have a GTA and not an optioned Trans Am?

Originally Posted by repriebe
Not meaning to drag up an old thread, but my recently purchased 1989 GTA has a sticky spot where the code sticker was in the console, and no sign of one in the rear compartment in the hatch. Is there anywhere else to look, or am I destined to never completely know about the options this car had?
Here's what I know:
1989 Pontiac Firebird GTA
5.7L MFI
Auto trans
Positrac
Tan (saddle) leather seats (the fronts are weird spaceship style with inflatable lumbar supports).
Was white (was white with gold aero and spoiler, but I think that it was originally all white - but I can't tell, it looks like it was repainted white at one time as well).
A/C.
Cruise control.
Power windows, locks, steering, brakes.
Rear window defroster
Unknown radio - it is missing (but it does have the radio controls in the horn button).
BBS style wheels (look like they were gold at one time.

The thing that I would like to know the most is if it was possible that it originally was white with gold aero and spoiler. Anyone have any info?

THANKS!
Old 10-01-2016, 03:02 PM

I was assuming it was because it has the GTA emblem on the side ;-) That is one other reason I was wanting to check the codes.
Old 10-01-2016, 03:04 PM

Great link to order the invoice! I did not know that was available. I'll order one!
THANKS!
Old 10-01-2016, 03:23 PM
JT
Community Administrator

You might be surprised how many Trans Ams have GTA emblems and is sold as a GTA. This has been a common occurrence for a couple decades. The GTA emblems are a stick on part that is still readily available today in reproduction and NOS.

Yes, an invoice or SPID is the best way to determine a GTA from a Trans Am because nearly every part on the GTA could be optioned on the Trans Am or bolted on later.

Some people will ask if it has the fender vents or not. Problem is the car is almost 30 years old and front fenders are bolt-on parts. Some will ask if it has the Ultima seats (which you indicate it has), PW7 wheels (again, you have), etc., problem is almost every thing was an option on the Trans Am or could be swapped onto a Trans Am.

I was assuming it was because it has the GTA emblem on the side ;-) That is one other reason I was wanting to check the codes.
Old 10-01-2016, 03:40 PM

Very interesting information. No vents in the fenders, where are they located on GTAs? Mine has an aftermarket fiberglass hood, so no possible clues there.
THANKS!
Old 10-02-2016, 05:38 PM

I will need to wait to shell out the $50 for the invoice copy. I found this VIN lookup page:
http://chevroletforum.com/forum/vindecoder.php

According to it, it is a GTA - does anyone know if this VIN search is accurate? I know that they have the usual disclaimers stating that it is only basic information, but just wanted to know if anyone has experience with their results.

THANKS!
Old 10-03-2016, 11:08 AM
JT
Community Administrator

Most online VIN decoders are not detailed enough to provide that type of information. They are basic VIN decoders.

The Y84 RPO code is what makes it a GTA. That is not part of the VIN. Unless you have access to GM's records or Compnine (which has records for 1990+ ThirdGens), that information is not publicly available.

Because there is no specific digit that denotes a GTA from a Trans Am, that further adds to the inability to determine a Trans Am from a GTA based on the VIN. Both Trans Am and GTA share the same 1G2FW VIN prefix so you only know it's one or the other.

Of course if you're looking at a VIN that has a 305TBI, then you know it's not a GTA because GTAs did not come with TBI. But that is about the only, visual, indicator from the VIN.

I don't quite trust what you get from Carfax, the DMV, etc. I recall when I was registering one of my Trans Am/GTAs many years ago, I was asked by the clerk doing the document if it was a Trans Am or Trans Am GTA.

I will need to wait to shell out the $50 for the invoice copy. I found this VIN lookup page:
http://chevroletforum.com/forum/vindecoder.php

According to it, it is a GTA - does anyone know if this VIN search is accurate? I know that they have the usual disclaimers stating that it is only basic information, but just wanted to know if anyone has experience with their results.

THANKS!
Old 10-13-2016, 06:31 PM

More good information! I will still order the invoice when I have the $$.

THANKS!
Old 10-13-2016, 06:39 PM

More good information! I will still order the invoice when I have the $$. Have you ever used the chevroletforum.com's decoder? I was wondering if it was any more or less accurate than others.