History / Originality Got a question about 1982-1992 Camaro or Firebird history? Have a question about original parts, options, RPO codes, when something was available, or how to document your car? Those questions, answers, and much more!

The real purpose and meaning of the Firebird SSA (and XS)

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2015, 05:08 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1991 Firebird SS group A
Engine: 305 TBI
Transmission: 4L60
Axle/Gears: PosiTrac / 273
The real purpose and meaning of the Firebird SSA (and XS)

When I put TRANS SPORT emblems on my 1991 FIREBIRD w / Sports Appearance Package I was under the impression that Pontiac had not given it a name. Since then I discovered it WAS marketed briefly in 1989 as both the FIREBIRD XS and the FIREBIRD SSA.

When I described my car in the thread “Post your Firebird pics” I mentioned that I had located a pair of original FIREBIRD SSA emblems and intended to replace the existing fender emblems with them. Mantaguy asked me what SSA meant. After extensive preliminary research, I posted the following (incorrect and unsatisfactory) answer:

“I think I figured it out! The SSA was marketed in Sacramento, San Francisco and Arizona (according to another post I read, The Denver ones were apparently not badged as SSA's).

"I would want one of these over any other base Firebird.
These cars were build to give owners a chance to drive a Trans Am look-a-like, without paying the high insurance or gas prices.
Pontiac did the same thing with the Firebird 500 in the early 80s, and then by bringing out the Sport Appearance Package on the base Firebird in 1989.
First with it being sold in three areas.
Los Angeles being the Firebird XS.
Sacramento (California) being the Firebird SSA.
And Denver having it (I don't know if it had just the plain Firebird badge, or something else).
Within six months of selling these models, they all came with the Firebird badge.
Ran them up to 1991.
I like them, and as I said, would love to have one."
http://transamcountry.com/community/...=38623.10;wap2

"This was an option over the base Firebird.
In the Los Angeles area, it was known as the Firebird XS (with Firebird XS badges on the front fenders).
In the Sacramento (again, in California), it was known as the Firebird SSA (with Firebird SSA badges on the front fenders).
There was another market, Denver, CO., but to date, I have never seen any kind of badge for that one."
https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/hist...xs-1989-a.html (Firebird XS 1989)

"I've been having trouble finding information on my car. Its a 1989 Firebird SSA it has a V6 2.8 liter. It also originated in Arizona not California. I would appreciate it very much if anyone could tell me more about this car."
"The San Francisco/Sacramento zone had "Firebird SSA" emblems. These dropped to just the "Firebird" emblem later in this year. Though my book doesn't mention it, I'm sure that it would have been entirely possible for the Phoenix area to be a part of the "San Francisco/Sacramento zone" too. That would only come into question if your 'bird was sold brand new in Arizona. GM did several "zone" versions of the third-gens it seems. I had an '88 Camaro Sport Coupe that was a zone vehicle for the Midwest, and was styled after the IROC. It was a "pre-RS" Camaro, and was used to test the market for the upcoming RS Camaro in 1989".
http://ls1tech.com/forums/pontiac-fi...ebird-ssa.html

Sacramento, San Francisco, Arizona=SSA!”

After glowing in my accomplishment, doubt set in. 1st of all, the explanation is not very glamorous. 2Nd, my emblems were coming from Livonia, Michigan! Another SSA owner, Cathie Heighes (Car Profiled above), was based in Detroit, Michigan, Hub Garage has one in Owosso, Michigan (http://www.hubgarage.com/mygarage/fi...vehicles/81103), Michigan Craigslist hits came up, along with a photo of Bob Bracey, owner of*a Michigan-based Corporation that produces ferrari 308 kit cars*“My 2.8L V6Firebird SSA*in the background, and one of the rare Meras in the foreground”, etc,etc,etc.

Why so many SSA's in Michigan? Shouldn't there be evidence like this if the cars were sold in Arizona? So a new spate of research began that, not only debunked my original conclusion, but led to the discovery of what I believe SSA REALY stands for... “Showroom Stock group A”, or SSA as it is known in racing circles.

While I found no evidence of SSA's in Arizona, I did come up with result after result for SSA racing at Arizona's FIREBIRD International Raceway. I was led to the SCCA's site where I discovered they used to have a class for Showroom Stock group A, for which both the Camaro and Firebird qualified:

“In 1972, SCCA started its first showroom stock racing series, with a price ceiling on the cars of $3,000.”
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stock_car_racing
“Showroom Stock is intended for cars which differ at most only slightly from cars that can be purchased from your local auto dealer. Cars must have bolt in 6 point roll cages, fire extinguishers, race harnesses, stock wheels, and tires only sightly different from stock sizes. Racing seats for the driver are an optional modification.

...in the mid 70s, they (the SCCA) had what probably seemed like a good idea at the time. They decided that everything in Sedan and Production ought to be tube frame. The concern was that with Unit body construction becoming the norm, the cost of repairs might become a serious problem...Protests from the Production car owners mounted, and the process halted in the early 80s...
With the "tube framization" of Sedan and Production, it became difficult to find a place to race cars with a production basis cheaply. Showroom stock was introduced; the idea was to run cars right off the dealer floor, with minimal modifications. It was a big success...These late model mass produced street cars compete virtually off the showroom floor with no modifications except a bolt-in roll cage and safety equipment. These cars are classed into Showroom Stock A through C (SSA, SSB, and SSC) classes based on performance potential and can't be more than five model years old.”
http://runoffs.na-motorsports.com/97/classes.html

“The Group A referred to production-derived vehicles limited in terms of power, weight, allowed technology and overall cost. Introduced in 1982...Group A was officially discontinued at the end of 1988, but it survived in touring car racing in domestic championships until 1994.”

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Group_A

“To qualify for approval, a minimum of 2500 cars of the competing model had to be built in one year, out of 25,000 for the entire range of the model (e.g.: 2500 Subaru Impreza WRX, out of 25,000 Subaru Impreza). Up to 1991, the requirement was a minimum of 5000 cars in one year, without regards to the entire range, but the FIA allowed "Evolution" models to be homologated with a minimum of 500 cars”

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Group_A
It is my opinion that the FIREBIRD SSA was such an “Evolution” model released to make the ground effects package legal in SSA competition. Chevy had already released in 1987 the limited edition, California only, “Evolution” model Rally Sport with ground effects. They followed this up by introducing the 1989 RS (in 1988) to solidify this package in SSA racing. Why the 1988 release?

“In 1988, The Sports Car Club of America (SCCA) outlawed all Showroom Stock Corvettes from it's racing events. The reason? The Vettes had not been beaten in three years of racing against the world's best sports cars, and their competitors complained so loudly that the sanctioning body finally had to act.”
http://superchevy.com/events/vemp-07...tte-challenge/
With the Corvette banned, The F-Body was the star, and the more classes it could qualify for, the greater the exposure. Enter the RS and The XS / SSA.

While Chevy was ready, Pontiac was caught on the outside looking on. They had to do one of 2 things, Release an RS like model with ground effects (the proposed XS, which debuted in Media capital Los Angeles in case they decided to take this route) OR Release an “Evolution” limited run car with ground effects (the SSA). The problem with going the full XS route is GM's limit on model types within a given line. To produce an XS the Formula, Trans Am or GTA had to go. In the end, the XS/SSA temporary offering was enough to qualify an inexpensive, ground effects equipped Firebird to compete against the RS in SSA events!

History of the GM SSA badge.

Pontiac has long enjoyed an association with G.M.'s Holden of Australia. (They brought the Holden rear end over for the Gen3 remember?)

Holden, Peter Brock Slogans, Racing Wheel

Holden had released similar SSA “Evolution” models in the mid to late '80's with SSA badging.
“The Group A SV was made as a limited run of 500 from March 1988 to November the same year, but HSV decided to make 250 more due to demand.”
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holden_Commodore_(VL)

I believe this to be the inspiration for the badge itself.

"Similar production styling made its way to Pontiac"

https://autopolis.wordpress.com/2013...reet-fighting/

Holden's SSA stood for “Sports Sedan group A”.

As stated earlier, I believe Pontiac's version stood for “Showroom Stock group A”

“I always liked how Pontiac used a naming scheme revolving around racing and/or heat.”
http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/f...eplates-57755/

Firebird models were named after SCCA classes:

Trans Am
Formula
GT(GTA and GT)
Showroom Stock group A (SSA)

AFAIK Of those four only the Formula did not qualify for it's class (Indy Type open-wheeled cars). The Formula was firebird's Street Fighter, so the name was given to suggest the potential of great speed and power IMO. The other 3 fit and seem to me to be the most likely explanation for the SSA nameplate.

BTW: In 1994, with the advent of the more powerful Gen4 Firebirds and Camaros, The SCCA folded SSA (while keeping SSB and SSC) and (as they did when the Corvette began to dominate) created the following class:
“American Sedan (AS) is comprised of Chevrolet Camaros, Pontiac Firebirds, Ford Mustangs, and Mercury Capris. They have a production-based chassis with modified suspensions and brakes. Engines are carbureted 5.0 Liter V-8s.
http://www.sfrscca.org/content/view/9170/251/

Rock on Showroom Stock F-Bodies!

Last edited by TRANSSPORT; 04-27-2015 at 03:29 AM. Reason: added clarifying statement, photos,fixed links
Old 03-14-2015, 10:44 AM

Re: The real purpose and meaning of the Firebird SSA (and XS)

I don't understand why putting ground effects on a bunch of V6 cars helped with homologation for a racing series. They already made 2500 Trans Am/GTAs a year easily, which had the exact same ground effect package and that was the model they were actually racing.

It's hard to find the classes from the 80s, however currently V-6 F-Bodies are in G stock and H stock.

Looks like you put a lot of time into this theory, I am just having trouble connecting the dots.
Old 03-14-2015, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by AmorgetRS
I don't understand why putting ground effects on a bunch of V6 cars helped with homologation for a racing series. They already made 2500 Trans Am/GTAs a year easily, which had the exact same ground effect package and that was the model they were actually racing.

It's hard to find the classes from the 80s, however currently V-6 F-Bodies are in G stock and H stock.

Looks like you put a lot of time into this theory, I am just having trouble connecting the dots.
I agree with you wholeheartedly. I am not an expert in Showroom Stock Racing and am relying on the input of other more knowledgeable members to help with this topic.

"Gone are the days of run-what-you-brung win-on-Sunday-sell-on-Monday racing. Where did they go, and why did they go? Personally, I think some great showroom racing series have died horrible deaths because the sanctioning bodies allowed them to. The classes got too complicated, too difficult to police, and they didn’t crack down enough on cheating, or didn’t care. Everyone romanticizes the halcyon days of TransAm racing in the late 1960s, but that series died because rules expansion made the cars too expensive for privateers to build, and the series too reliant on fickle manufacturer support to live...Even the SCCA’s “Showroom Stock” classes allow too much to be changed from stock (shock absorbers, for example)."
http://hooniverse.com/2015/01/09/the...howroom-stock/

And what of the 1LE option? Technically, a 1LE car should have been built to qualify, but that option could be ordered by checking the right boxes.

"Chevrolet built a total of 111 “1LE’ Special Performance Package Camaros for the ‘89 model year -- targeted for the SCCA Showroom Stock racing series."

Scott Settlemire
General Motors Corporation

https://history.gmheritagecenter.com/wiki/index.php/Some_Camaro_History

Certainly far shy of the 500 minimum.

Production Numbers

"1988: The first year of “real” 1LE mass production. Four cars were constructed.

1989: 111

1990: 62

1991: 478

1992: 705

1993: 19

1994: 135

1995: 106

1996: 55

1997: 48

1998: 99

1999: 92"

http://www.carsandparts.com/Articles...en-race-car-1#

Remember, Pontiac was an exploiter of loopholes, often putting larger engines than GM mandate allowed (the GTO, the gen 1 firebirds had 400's with limiters on the throttle, the 1969 Trans Am that DID qualify for racing in the series because a rule change allowed for destroking the production block - '69 birds were raced with a Pontiac 303 based on the 400 with the RAM Air IV heads,"it produced in excess of 475 horsepower, making it one of the most powerful cars on the circuit" Fine Lines 1967 - 1969 Firebird, page 42 - the best of Hot Rod Magazine). Why not put a smaller one in a car designed to homologate an AERO package on a base car?

So, assuming the theory is correct, exactly what was Pontiac trying to "Homologate" with the SSA? Was it the drivetrain or the body? Was it eligible for SCCA SS group A with a v6 in 1988, or was it simply named after the series and intended for one of the other showroom stock series' that existed around the country? With the availability of a 5.0 v8, could you legally upgrade the motor in a less expensive chassis, making racing more affordable for privateers?

What are the thoughts of the community on this?

Last edited by TRANSSPORT; 03-14-2015 at 03:42 PM. Reason: Added quote marks
Old 03-14-2015, 04:58 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 89 RS Vert, 89 Formula, 89 Bird
Engine: L03, TBI 350, none
Transmission: 700R4, 700R4, none
Axle/Gears: 3.42, 3.45, none

What if it meant nothing at all? What if they just wanted a base model V6 Firebird to sound more alluring, so they christened it as the SSA simply by adding a few plastic emblems?

My folks had a Pontiac Bonneville SSE back in the 90's. I think it was supercharged. But I don't think they were raced in any circuit. It's just a catchy name. Was the 1989 Pontiac Lemans ever raced at Lemans? Were 1989 Pontiac Grand Am's spec'd to do battle in the Grand Am racing series? No and no.
Attached Thumbnails The real purpose and meaning of the Firebird SSA (and XS)-sse-bonneville.jpg   The real purpose and meaning of the Firebird SSA (and XS)-1989-lemans.jpg  
Old 03-14-2015, 05:13 PM
Supreme Member

Received 212 Likes on 160 Posts
Car: 1989 Trans Am GTA
Engine: LT1, AFR 195cc, 231/239 LE cam.
Transmission: M28 T56
Axle/Gears: 3.23 10bolt waiting to explode.

Originally Posted by two-if-by-sea
What if it meant nothing at all? What if they just wanted a base model V6 Firebird to sound more alluring, so they christened it as the SSA simply by adding a few plastic emblems?

My folks had a Pontiac Bonneville SSE back in the 90's. I think it was supercharged. But I don't think they were raced in any circuit. It's just a catchy name. Was the 1989 Pontiac Lemans ever raced at Lemans? Were 1989 Pontiac Grand Am's spec'd to do battle in the Grand Am racing series? No and no.
I think I have to agree with 2ibs. We know that GM built the 1LE package because they found aspects of the car deficient in their racing endeavors. The Players Challenge series come to mind.

However, the SSA and XS packages seem like nothing more than appearance packages based on everything I've read in this thread and been able to find in searches on my own.
Old 03-14-2015, 05:34 PM

I am open minded and still looking for evidence that the base car with aero package was actually raced in any series. I did find a FORMULA that was bought with the 1le package and raced fitted with the aero front end.

"FS: AS/CMC 1989 Firebird (Vintage Eligible)
1989 Firebird Formula - NASA CMC2
305 GM 260hp/300tq
Tremec TKO600rr
3:90 Motive gear
LS1 Brakes, GTA 16"rims

Car was ordered as a racecar from the factory with 1LE brakes and nothing else. Build date January 1989. First race in logbook is March 1989. SSGT Regional Champion in the San Fransico Region with Jack Roose. Gayland Schmidt (Sam's uncle) won numerous races and Regional Championships also. Converted to American Sedan specs by Jon Ward (Jerry Titus car owner and builder). I have a letter from Jon discussing the build and mods from the early 90's. Sons Kevin & Shelly raced it in AS before moving to the Midwest with Rocky Elli. Ran AGS, American Iron, CMC, and now CMC2 with me. Many unique and rare parts including Aluminum hood, 1LE brakes, & custom parts by Jon Ward.

Fresh off NASA Nationals with a 4th, 6th, and 6th place finishes.

Race NASA CMC2 or Vintage with SVRA/VSCDA.

$10,000 obo.

Sidney Franklin
Bloomington, IL"

http://www.asedan.net/forums/showthread.php?t=2800

http://www.nasaforums.com/viewtopic....3175&view=next

1989 firebird formula 1le racecar upgraded to SCCA American Sedan Specs (AS)

Also this 1998 FIREBIRD (not TRANS AM) w/ ground effects competing at Sonoma in 2010

BTW: SSE (alledgedly) stands for Supercharged Sports Edition, SSEi for Supercharged Sports Edition Intercooled. These are not racing badges, just model designations. Even if SSA was NOT an "Evolution" model, the Firebird naming convention (generally) still points to SCCA events rather than meaningless letters. Oh, and they are Pontiac METAL badges, not plastic and not Dealer installed.

Last edited by TRANSSPORT; 03-14-2015 at 06:52 PM. Reason: Typo
The following users liked this post:
TTOP350 (01-21-2021)
Old 03-14-2015, 07:40 PM

Evidence of base FIREBIRD racing in the mid to late 80's w / AERO package found!

http://www.historictransamimsa.com/M.../firebird.html

1985 FIREBIRD race car with AERO package

Also found numerous examples of Trans Ams and base Firebirds in the mid 80's to early 90's here:
http://www.racingsportscars.com/type...rd.html?page=6

1988 FIREBIRD race cars including 3000cc class

What is most interesting to this thread is the top and bottom cars competing in the 3000cc (3 liter) Class! (Can you say 2.8 V6?) One with partial and 1 with complete AERO package!
Old 03-14-2015, 10:26 PM
Supreme Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

"In 1989 an option became available on base model Firebirds called the "Sport Appearance Package". This package was basically nothing more than the Trans Am front and rear bumpers with the Trans Am side gfx to make the car look more sporty. Early in 1989 when the package was first released some CA cars were called Firebird SSA's and Firebird XS's. The idea was to market these models in specific regions and they started out with CA. The model for the Sacramento area of CA was given the designation "SSA" while the model for the Los Angeles area of CA was called the "XS". The package consisted of noting more than an appearance treatment that included SSA or XS emblems on the front fenders and rear bumper. The Firebird SSA and XS designations were later dropped toward the end of the 1989 model year."
Old 03-14-2015, 11:15 PM

Originally Posted by TRANSSPORT
So, assuming the theory is correct, exactly what was Pontiac trying to "Homologate" with the SSA? Was it the drivetrain or the body? Was it eligible for SCCA SS group A with a v6 in 1988, or was it simply named after the series and intended for one of the other showroom stock series' that existed around the country? With the availability of a 5.0 v8, could you legally upgrade the motor in a less expensive chassis, making racing more affordable for privateers?
Reading the requirements for Current SCCA Showroom Stock gives us a window into why a ground effects base car with a v8 engine option made sense.
http://www.scca.com:8090/documents/S...inal_draft.pdf
Under the section on allowed Body modifications we DO NOT find the same allowances that we find under a class such as Solo Stock. Solo stock permits the addition of spoilers and body kits even if the car did not come with them. Showroom Stock does not. It DOES allow you to run an optional motor, provided that the entire drive train is correct for that option. In other words, you could install the 5.0 in place of the v6 and be legal provided the transmission and rear end were also changed if they were different from the v6 setup. By releasing the XS / SSA as a limited edition, ground effects equipped car within a base FIREBIRD platform that offered a V8, whether intentional or not, Pontiac one-upped the RS (which did not come with a v8 option), offering amateur and professional racers a cheaper platform that qualified for a lot of different series, both v6 and v8 based, thereby increasing both participation and exposure for the G.M. Fbody platform.
Old 03-14-2015, 11:53 PM

Originally Posted by 92GTA
"In 1989 an option became available on base model Firebirds called the "Sport Appearance Package". This package was basically nothing more than the Trans Am front and rear bumpers with the Trans Am side gfx to make the car look more sporty. Early in 1989 when the package was first released some CA cars were called Firebird SSA's and Firebird XS's. The idea was to market these models in specific regions and they started out with CA. The model for the Sacramento area of CA was given the designation "SSA" while the model for the Los Angeles area of CA was called the "XS". The package consisted of noting more than an appearance treatment that included SSA or XS emblems on the front fenders and rear bumper. The Firebird SSA and XS designations were later dropped toward the end of the 1989 model year."
This is the "smokescreen" information that is regurgitated every time this discussion comes up. The "theory" that it was nothing more than a marketing ploy is no more substantiated as fact than the one I have proposed. Let me give you an example. In my bio you will find that I am a published comic book artist. One of the books I was involved with was one created by my brother, William Clausen and Michael Kelly. For years the only information available on the internet was the following statement (theory):
"Cold Blooded Chameleon Commandos -
Nov 15, 2014 - Cold Blooded Chameleon Commandos was one of many parodies of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, published by Blackthorne Publishing."

The truth is, when the publisher approached the pair with the idea he DID not mention the Ninja Turtles. They (the commandos creators) had never heard of them. The book was an original idea. Try as you might though, ALL you found on the net was the same quote copy and pasted over and over. Does that make it fact? Hardly. Through much effort, most of these erroneous statements have been corrected, but the stigma still remains because the Turtles were first to market. At least the one below is livable.

"Cold-Blooded Chameleon Commandos
CBCC (Blackthorne, 1986-1987)
Action-Adventure Anthropomorphics
©1986 William Clausen and Michael Kelley
Creators William Clausen and Michael Kelley spawned the Cold-Blooded Chameleon Commandos at a time when any comic book with multi-adjectived anthropomorphs got on the stands, thanks to the success of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. This black-and-white title is fairly typical of the mostly forgotten hordes that followed.

The stars are super-strong Rivit, the quick and hyper-alert Nerves, tactical leader Sarge and color-and shape-changing Radion. They started out as subjects of genetic experimentation by a Dr. Poindexter. Using a special serum and radiation, Poindexter boosted their intelligence and then trained them in martial arts for government service.

The intermittent humor in the series comes primarily in the form of the occasional wisecrack or pop-culture reference."

The point is, we Know that this model of FIREBIRD has been Poo Pooed for 25 years as only a "Marketing ploy". The purpose of this thread is to CHANGE that perception and give it a proper place in Pontiac racing history.

Last edited by TRANSSPORT; 03-15-2015 at 12:14 AM. Reason: added pics
Old 03-15-2015, 07:25 AM

... within a base FIREBIRD platform that offered a V8, whether intentional or not, Pontiac one-upped the RS (which did not come with a v8 option), offering amateur and professional racers a cheaper platform that qualified for a lot of different series, both v6 and v8 based, thereby increasing both participation and exposure for the G.M. Fbody platform.
'89+ RS models certainly did have an optional V8.
Old 03-15-2015, 11:22 AM

Reading the requirements for Current SCCA Showroom Stock gives us a window into why a ground effects base car with a v8 engine option made sense.
http://www.scca.com:8090/documents/S...inal_draft.pdf
Under the section on allowed Body modifications we DO NOT find the same allowances that we find under a class such as Solo Stock. Solo stock permits the addition of spoilers and body kits even if the car did not come with them. Showroom Stock does not. It DOES allow you to run an optional motor, provided that the entire drive train is correct for that option. In other words, you could install the 5.0 in place of the v6 and be legal provided the transmission and rear end were also changed if they were different from the v6 setup. By releasing the XS / SSA as a limited edition, ground effects equipped car within a base FIREBIRD platform that offered a V8, whether intentional or not, Pontiac one-upped the RS (which did not come with a v8 option), offering amateur and professional racers a cheaper platform that qualified for a lot of different series, both v6 and v8 based, thereby increasing both participation and exposure for the G.M. Fbody platform.
I don't know why anyone in their right mind would buy a V-6 and swap it for a V-8. It would not be cheaper than just buying a Trans Am and you would get all the upgraded suspension pieces along with the option for rear disk brakes. The V-6 would not even be close to competitive in any of those classes.
Old 03-15-2015, 04:06 PM

'89+ RS models certainly did have an optional V8.
Thank you for clearing that up. I just read last night that RS convertibles came with a 305 as standard equipment. Seems both manufacturers were on the same page by 89.
I don't know why anyone in their right mind would buy a V-6 and swap it for a V-8. It would not be cheaper than just buying a Trans Am and you would get all the upgraded suspension pieces along with the option for rear disk brakes. The V-6 would not even be close to competitive in any of those classes.
You're right of course. I was just pointing out what the rules ALLOWED. The point of "homologating" a v6 car with ground effects and a v8 option, either by establishing a model and manufacturing 5000 of them, or releasing a limited run of 500 within a model meant that the appearance package could be legally run on a base car with either engine purchased from the factory as a unit. What you could NOT do (at least in SCCA SSA competition) was install ground effects on a car that was not specifically manufactured with them, even if that was an option for them. If the factory drilled holes were not present on your car, you could not mount an aero package.

I spent yesterday watching the 1988 SCCA Trans Am competition in Lime Rock posted elsewhere on this site. In the field were cars running anything from turbo charged 4 cylinder engines to a 355 ci v8. Unlike SSA, in trans am the playing field was leveled by penalizing more powerful combinations to try to achieve a certain power to weight ratio. The Turbo charged 5 cylinder Audi's were first allowed to run stock, then assesed a 100 lb. lead weight penalty, a second 100 lb. penalty, a limiter on the turbo and a 4 inch reduction in usable tire patch!

Showroom Stock was a different animal. Cars had to be classified carefully to be competitive.

I watched a 1980 full SCCA SSA race to get some insight on what type of cars qualified in 1980. (it's really a hoot! Much more enjoyable than the Trans Am division IMO).
The cars were the following.

Porsche 924
SAAB 900 Turbo
Mazda RX7
Nissan 280 ZX
Mustang Cobra Turbo 4 cyl

One thing that was interesting was a special rule to deter cheating. Any contestant could "steal" the car from any other contestant that finished in a higher position in the field for "list price and $500!

Popular Hot Rodding decided run SSA in 1991.

1991 SSA Oldsmobile

No word yet on whether a v6 f-body ever qualified for or ran in this series (but the 240 Zx WAS an in-line 6). The above article mentions Boris Said's Camaro WINNING the 1990 National Championship in SSGT (probably a v8, but that is unconfirmed at this point).

I have found 2 1991 SCCA SSA race videos to watch,1 shot from the dash of an Eagle Talon. So that's where I'm headed now.

Last edited by TRANSSPORT; 03-15-2015 at 04:24 PM. Reason: removed typo, added clarifying info
Old 03-15-2015, 05:28 PM

I am posting a list of 2011 qualifying cars for the Midwestern Council of Sports Car Clubs listing qualifying cars for SSGT and SSA. While SSGT has ONLY 5.0 and 5.7 liter engines for the F-Body, SSA lists BOTH the 305 and the V6 for the FIREBIRD and ONLY the v6 for the Camaro. This is NOT the SSCA list. It is a similar list of cars that I assume (that word again) qualified for their events at some point, or qualified as of 2011. It is not to be taken as absolute proof of SCCA qualification in the mid '80's to '90's, but is I think of interest to the thread.
http://www.mcscc.org/files/GCR2011.pdf

2011 Midwestern Council of Sports Car Clubs SSGT and SSA Qualifying List

Last edited by TRANSSPORT; 03-15-2015 at 06:03 PM. Reason: punctuation, added url of source for verification purposes.
Old 03-15-2015, 06:19 PM

Here's a 2001 list from COM Sports Car Club, again showing V8 F-bodies only in SSGT and interestingly a listing of Trans Am NOC (No Objection Certificate), along with the v6's in SSA.
http://www.comscc.org/rules/rulebooks/rules2001.pdf

Com Sports Car Club SSGT and SSA 2001 Qualifying list.
Old 03-15-2015, 07:09 PM

The 1991 SSA runoff videos have not been watched yet, but I found a detailed "Blog" of the event by the Eagle Talon driver! 2 lines are of interest to our discussion.

"Road Atlanta is scarier than ever. It is a roller-coaster in the extreme, which a simple track diagram just doesn't show. We were on the track with the SSGT cars, which made life VERY interesting. Those guys are bullies in Camaros. What's worse is that one of the SSA cars, Scott Grissom's 300 (500?) ZX, was staying with the Camaros. It may be a long week.

One of the Camaros decided to wham me out of the way, fortunately with no damage to our car. The biggest problem we have is hooking up coming out of the corners. The front wheels get light, and the wheels spin."

"The other "big deal" which SCCA was enforcing was that the class code had to be fully spelled out. Even though only one class of car is in each race, SSA cars couldn't just say "A", it had to be "SSA". The same went for every class. There's only one vendor cutting vinyl letters here, and the Tech folks made his day! Boy, was he busy."

http://www.kakashiracing.com/1991_runoffs_wrap.htm

Last edited by TRANSSPORT; 04-27-2015 at 03:34 AM. Reason: added photo of SSGT Firebird
Old 03-15-2015, 11:43 PM

"This article originally appeared in the September 1987 issue of Road & Track Magazine
Over in Poncho Land, it's hot pursuit time. With the new Firebird GTA probing the $20,000 limit, Pontiac dusted off the familiar moniker Formula (used from 1970'/2 through 1981 on mid-level Firebirds) and applied the name to a "de-contented" Trans Am for the $ 12,000 $14,000 price range. In this case, the louvers, air extractors, tinted glass, aero package and fog lamps got the old heave-ho. But the go-fast goodies— the WS6 suspension complete with P245/50VR-16 Goodyear Gatorbacks on 16 x 8-in. alloy wheels, 165-bhp 5.0-liter 4-barrel V-8 and 5-speed Borg-Warner T-5 gearbox—are all standard. And the multi-port, tuned-runner 5.0- and 5.7-liter V-8s are just a check-of-the-option-sheet away. Lou Wassel, Pontiac's Firebird market planner estimates that by next year one of every four Firebirds sold will be a Formula. No doubt, the Formula will be homologated for SCCA and IMSA racing.

Wait, you may ask, where's the Camaro? True, a GM F-body is a GM F-body, and you can build an econo-Z/28 with IROC goodies very close to the Formula with judicious delete-this, add-that use of the option sheet. But Chevy has no name for such a car. And it's unlikely that dealers will be ordering many low-profit, strippo IROCs without national advertising and public awareness."
http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars...ebird-formula/
The magazine was right. You need both national advertising and public awareness to sell a car package. What they were wrong about is the model. Chevrolet surprised everyone by releasing the RS, the IROC lookalike with the v6 motor. Pontiac followed suit with the limited XS / SSA offering. And yes, if the Formula had remained an OPTION (as the Sport Appearance Package was), it would have needed SCCA and IMSA homologation. As it turned out, it was the Sport Appearance Package on the base Firebird that needed and received the SCCA / IMSA qualifying limited release.

BTW:The U in IMSA GTU stands for "under 3 liters". Base Firebirds and Camaros did qualify for IMSA GTU, Trans Ams and IROC's did not. By releasing the RS / SX / SSA the GTU F-Bodies received the ground effects package as well.

IMSA GTU Must be Production based and under 3 liters!

Last edited by TRANSSPORT; 03-16-2015 at 12:03 AM. Reason: cleaned up formatting
Old 03-16-2015, 12:16 AM

Can you find a single reference to a Firebird running in GTU? The Pontiacs that won in that class appear to be Fieros.

To me there is a VERY simple reason why GM offered the RS and the W68 Package on the Firebird. Sales. People want to pay less for a car that looks the part of a TA/GTA/Z28/IROC so GM gave them what they wanted.

The demand for racing a V-6 Thirdgen had to be practically zero. They weighed too much for the 2.8 to be competitive.
Old 03-16-2015, 01:00 AM

Can you find a single reference to a Firebird running in GTU? The Pontiacs that won in that class appear to be Fieros.

To me there is a VERY simple reason why GM offered the RS and the W68 Package on the Firebird. Sales. People want to pay less for a car that looks the part of a TA/GTA/Z28/IROC so GM gave them what they wanted.

The demand for racing a V-6 Thirdgen had to be practically zero. They weighed too much for the 2.8 to be competitive.
Posted this above. Perhaps you missed it?

1988 FIREBIRD race cars including 3000cc class

"What is most interesting to this thread is the top and bottom cars competing in the 3000cc (3 liter) Class! (Can you say 2.8 V6?) One with partial and 1 with complete AERO package!
"

They don't seem to be doing too well though do they?

Now I realize the graphic says GTO not GTU, (as I said, I'm not an expert in all these divisions, but the bottom line is some teams were running v6 firebirds in IMSA and needed all the help they could get).

"Now then. It isn't racing that improves the breed. Homologation is what does that. The Trans-Am series became a marketable entity. The factories got involved. And the SCCA required the cars racing in the series to begin with parts sold to the public"
Road and Track - 1987

Last edited by TRANSSPORT; 03-16-2015 at 01:38 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 03-16-2015, 10:07 AM

I didn't miss that, but I think it's wrong. There is no other reference to that car anywhere else being into a GTU class. I looked through the entire 89 season for GTO/GTU, there was not a single Camaro/Firebird in the GTU class.
Old 03-17-2015, 02:43 AM

I didn't miss that, but I think it's wrong. There is no other reference to that car anywhere else being into a GTU class. I looked through the entire 89 season for GTO/GTU, there was not a single Camaro/Firebird in the GTU class.
You are 100% right, and I thank you for pointing out my error. In 1989 there was 1 team that split duty between a Camaro and a Firebird, and 3 other Firebird teams in GTO, but no Firebirds in GTU. When I first saw the listings in the graphic mentioned above I was excited for 2 reasons. The cars look fairly normal and 2 of them were running 3000 cc, or 3 litre engines. Since then I have watched 2 1988 IMSA events involving both GTO/GTU classes and have come to realize that this series, at least at that level has no bearing on the topic whatsoever. The cars are too modified, like the Trans Am cars in SCCA and are NOTHING like showroom stock. So I apologize to you AmorgetRS for my ignorance, and thank you for getting me off a worthless tangent.

So let's focus on the original topic shall we?
Have I proven the v6 Firebird qualified to run in Showroom Stock group A events in Sports Car clubs around America?

Yes (see listings above).

Have I proven that the purpose of the release of the SSA was to homologate a base v6 firebird with AERO Package for SCCA Showroom Stock Competition?

No. It would take a statement from Pontiac management, SCCA officials or a copy of the homologation request form to do that, and that is not likely to happen.

Has the originator of the original theory proven that it was JUST a Marketing Ploy to test the market and nothing more?

No. That also would take a statement from Pontiac management, and that is also not likely to happen.

Like I said, I have an open mind. I actually think both are correct. The fact that it was released as the XS in Los Angeles smacks of testing a market that already had an RS from Chevrolet. Had it ONLY been marketed as the XS in ALL areas, I would never have suspected a second purpose. But the SSA logo itself has a story to tell. Let's look at it in more detail.

As a trained Graphic Artist I have studied Typography, as well as Logo design. The first thing I see is that the SS portion is a DIFFERENT type style than the A. If it were simply a 3 letter, meaningless model identifier this is USUALLY not the case. The font would be the same for unity. The SS portion of the badge is curvy and flowing, reminiscent of a road course, the A stiff and solid. The Ascender of the A is thicker than the S. They should be the same thickness. If anything the angled leg of the A can be thinner, NOT the ascender. They are 2 different fonts. If I designed this badge, and if it truly stands for Showroom Stock group A I would have done the same thing. Separate the Class (showroom stock) from the group (A / B / C / GT) etc.

Does this PROVE it stands for Showroom Stock group A?

No. BUT it is the best explanation ANYONE has come up with IMO.

As stated:
1. Pontiac named Firebird models for SCCA events.
2. The v6 car qualified for SSA, the v8 for SSGT

Whether or not the limited release was INTENDED to homolgate the v6 AERO Package bird for SSA racing is just as irrelevant as whether anyone actually raced it in SCCA SSA competition.

The bottom line is by releasing it as a limited edition model, in sufficient quantity to qualify for homologation, they made it official to use in the series, right away, without having to wait an entire year to see if enough customers actually ordered the option to make it legal in SSA competion.

I am convinced that, even if nothing more than a tribute the badge WAS named for the SCCA SSA class, even if it WAS only to test the market. But then again, I'm a Clausen. My sister, Dr. Nievita Bueno Watts actually is the first person to discover water on Mars during her internship. She was not believed at the time because it flew in the face of established thinking. But, as we now know, established thinking is sometimes proved wrong. All it takes is time.

Postscript:
1). Did Pontiac (and Chevrolet) EVER release a car strictly to homologate an Aero Package?

Yes. In 1986 they released the Grand Prix and Monte Carlo Aero Coupes to legalize a much needed Aerodynamic redesign for Nascar.
"Think of the significance of that: This was the first time in nearly two dozen years, since GM's self-imposed racing ban of 1963, that they allowed themselves to officially create special production vehicles to help them further their racing dreams...a couple of cars built for executives are reported."
http://www.hemmings.com/mus/stories/..._feature8.html

IF the SSA was built for a similar purpose (In the couple of surviving videos of actual amatuer SCCA SSA racing in the 80's the P.A. announcer says something to the effect of: All the MANUFACTURERS are HERE. They are KEENLY interested in THIS series because they believe that it has an impact on getting people into their showrooms on Monday), perhaps a handful of these cars were retained in Michigan, (explaining their abnormal presence in that state).

2).Why market the SSA in Denver Colorado?

Denver Colorado was the Home base of the SCCA.

"The Sports Car Club of America Inc., which has called Denver home for the past 30 years, is moving its national headquarters to Topeka, Kan., in November 2002."

http://www.bizjournals.com/denver/st...0/daily26.html

Last edited by TRANSSPORT; 03-23-2015 at 12:52 AM. Reason: Added additional postscript information
Old 03-28-2015, 04:49 PM

There is a new wrinkle in the SSA XS story that I would like to add to this thread.

Was there a "forgotten" special edition XS model released in 1991?

Preliminary evidence seems to say YES.

"macusnret10
12-08-2003, 08:16 PM
I have a 91 Firebird XS. It is your basic Firebird except for those name plates on the front fenders. I bought it new in 91 so they are not something someone added. I have noticed that most others have a silver color bird insignia whereas mine is gold and has gold pin stripes. Other than factory tint on the back window every thing else is the same. 3.1 V-6, automatic. The Firebird/TA club website had an article which said the XS model was discontinued in 89, not so as mine is a 91. Anybody with any info on this model please advise."

http://www.automotiveforums.com/t161814-xs_model_.html

Also check out this ad for a 1991 XS with GOLD bird decals and the optional 305!

1991 XS gold bird 305 Firebird

In 2013 one was listed on Ebay.

Seems we could be missing something here.

Could these simply be dealer installed emblems? Let's take a closer look at the emblems that have surfaced recently. After much scrutiny of what scant evidence I have at my disposal I have come to the conclusion that the SSA emblems COULD VERY WELL HAVE BEEN DEALER APPLIED.

The two I received had a type of 2 sided tape on them, not the black residue you find in a factory install (like the plastic ones I pulled off the car).

1989 SSA emblems with 2 sided tape.

Also, in trying to determine the CORRECT placement based on the photo examples I have, I found the placement of the emblems to be inconsistent.

The XS emblems are another story. Of the 2 examples currently for sale, at least one appears to have Factory applied, black adhesive residue.

Black Factory adhesive or 2 sided tape?, example 1

Black Factory adhesive, example 2

While I cannot make any conclusions based on one photo, the 1991 Firebird XS Gold bird edition does appear to be legit.

I would love to make more comparisons, but I need more evidence. If you are reading this, whether as a member or as a result of a Google search and have ANY YEAR SSA or XS, please post what you know about your car along with pertinent photos of emblem placement in particular. (I have yet to find ONE example of a car with badges on the rear, as reported, for example).

Membership is free and helpful information benefits the Gen 3 community as a whole.

Last edited by TRANSSPORT; 03-28-2015 at 04:59 PM. Reason: typo correction
Old 03-28-2015, 05:02 PM

Interesting find on the 91. The issue I am seeing is that there is no RPO code that I am aware of for the XS and SSA as compared to any other V-6 with the ground effects.

The RPO for the Sport Appearance Package is W68, however that does not denote XS or SSA. Be interesting to see how many XS and SSA badged Firebirds show up.
Old 03-28-2015, 05:47 PM

Be interesting to see how many XS and SSA badged Firebirds show up.
I am curious as well. What started me looking further is I found evidence of several SSA' s that claim to be 1990's.

There is also a member here who claims to own a black 91 SSA, so finding an actual badged 1991 XS with a 305 (first non - v6 documented) i thought was significant enough to post.

BTW, G.M. apparently used both the RS and XS badges on the 1989 - 1991 Isuzu impulse.

"The Impulse XS is billed as an affordably priced performance car...Isuzu calls it the ``aggressive European look,``"
Impulse-xs

"The second generation Impulse was designed on General Motors's second generation R-body "world car" platform.The three-door hatchback debuted as the Impulse XS in 1989 for the 1990 model year. It was offered only in front-wheel drive...For the 1991 model year, the Impulse RS was introduced with all-wheel drive."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isuzu_Piazza
Similar years, similar model designation for the f-bodies. With the firebird being the perennial European styled car, it got the XS badge, the Camaro had a pre-existing association with the Rally Sport name. An interesting co-incidence at worst.

There is a pure Pontiac connection to XS: The engine code on the very first Ram Air Pontiac GTO motors.

1967-pontiac-gto-red-means-go/

EBay find of the day
And of course:
"The ram air pan was delivered in the trunk for dealer installation."

Last edited by TRANSSPORT; 03-28-2015 at 07:28 PM. Reason: added XS historical info
Old 03-28-2015, 08:22 PM

Car: 91 Firbird Formula
Engine: 5.0 TBI
Transmission: 700R4

I don't know if you have seen this thread on LS1 tech under the heading "How many Firebird SSA's were made? or other info..".
They have 2 photo's from the book "Pontiac Firebird 1967 - 2000 Photo History" by George W. Scala
Here one, couldn't get the other. Nor do I know how to import http addresses so you will have to search yourself.

The other page go's on to say designations like this were used as low production specialty cars in certain markets to preview possible options to the public.

My history includes growing up as friends with the local GM/Chevy/Pontiac dealership owner's kids. My middle brother was best friends with the one who took over most of the dealership. I graduated with the brother who got the Pontiac side. I might be able to shed some light on this subject, though not this particular car.
Old 03-28-2015, 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by bjpotter
My history includes growing up as friends with the local GM/Chevy/Pontiac dealership owner's kids. My middle brother was best friends with the one who took over most of the dealership. I graduated with the brother who got the Pontiac side. I might be able to shed some light on this subject, though not this particular car.
Thank you for the tip. I read that post a long time ago. That book is the source of most of what is known and accepted about these cars. There appears to be more waiting to be discovered. Perhaps you might be able to inquire if there were unlisted options such as this that a dealer could somehow order in 1991?

I found a 1989 XS that had posted a pic of his interior and fender emblems.

I superimposed the 1989 emblem over the 1991 emblem and they are only off slightly (could be due to the side bumper strip being off, as mine is-3mm is the margin of error for factory installation according to the shop manual).

So, since we have the testimony of 2 individuals who bought badged 1991 XS Firebirds, are they something a dealer COULD cobble together or order? Certainly some dealer found a way in 1991, long after the book affirms badged w68 cars were no longer available.

Last edited by TRANSSPORT; 04-27-2015 at 02:49 AM. Reason: added clarifying info
Old 03-28-2015, 09:30 PM

You will find if you could look at individual dealerships records that they all had certain cars at a certain level of comfort, price and or performance they were known for. The more you sold a certain car / truck, the more the division that car came from paid attention to you. When you got to the top 5% of sales for that vehicle, they listened very close to what you wanted and sold.
The dealership that my friend's owned was a powerful one for the midwest. They would order cars with special options just for our area. They did not rebadge them but they were unique.

I suspect what you have is a car that a local dealer or group of dealers wanted to sell. They did their best to tie it into the local racing scene for marketing purposes. They could advertise that it was only available in their exclusive area. Pontiac corporate went along as it was a cheap way to keep the brand in racing without too much involvement.
Putting the SSA label without paying SSA racing would have also been a plus if that's what they did. Also highlighting SS would be another marketing nostalgia bonus. Believe me, I heard a lot of this BS around the dealership. Don't ever call a car basic, its Custom. Numbers and letters are a cheap way to call something special even when its not. I'm not saying the SSA is not special, just that car dealers will do anything to sell more cars.
Old 03-28-2015, 09:49 PM

You will find if you could look at individual dealerships records that they all had certain cars at a certain level of comfort, price and or performance they were known for. The more you sold a certain car / truck, the more the division that car came from paid attention to you. When you got to the top 5% of sales for that vehicle, they listened very close to what you wanted and sold.
The dealership that my friend's owned was a powerful one for the midwest. They would order cars with special options just for our area. They did not rebadge them but they were unique.

I suspect what you have is a car that a local dealer or group of dealers wanted to sell. They did their best to tie it into the local racing scene for marketing purposes. They could advertise that it was only available in their exclusive area. Pontiac corporate went along as it was a cheap way to keep the brand in racing without too much involvement.
Putting the SSA label without paying SSA racing would have also been a plus if that's what they did. Also highlighting SS would be another marketing nostalgia bonus. Believe me, I heard a lot of this BS around the dealership. Don't ever call a car basic, its Custom. Numbers and letters are a cheap way to call something special even when its not. I'm not saying the SSA is not special, just that car dealers will do anything to sell more cars.
BJ, you just made my year! That's exactly what I suspected, I just could not prove it. There is no evidence I can find that the XS or SSA actually raced in showroom stock group A, but they could have. Why would you race these cars in group a when you could buy a 1LE IROC or TRANS AM and kick butt in SSGT? But the mental association of the tie in is huge, as you stated. I chose the SSA emblems over the XS emblems because of the Super Sport implication. (I used to own 2 SS El Caminos). Another subliminal effect of the emblems is sexual (read them backwards).
You hit the nail on the head, anything to sell cars and promote racing has always been fair game!

Holden group A SS T-Shirt
Old 03-28-2015, 09:54 PM

That doesn't really explain all the other non XS or SSA Firebird out where with the W68 package. I personally own 2.
Old 03-28-2015, 10:05 PM

It may not have worked. Marketing is really not a science. They try everything they can to sell more cars. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Strong dealerships were the perfect proving grounds. If they can't sell it, then the whole thing is dropped for the next idea. Maybe SSA said "Hey wait a minute, we want royalties", or another brand gets known for the XS logo. Don't want to promote the competition you know!

Last edited by bjpotter; 03-28-2015 at 10:23 PM.
Old 03-28-2015, 10:15 PM

That doesn't really explain all the other non XS or SSA Firebird out where with the W68 package. I personally own 2.
With all due respect AmorgetRS, I believe it actually really does. If my theory is correct and the initial release WAS for homologation, there was no need to badge them beyond the original release. The fact that there were few takers of the exemption provided by this release does not mean it was not an ATTEMPT to get amateurs to race these cars in SCCA Showroom Stock A. (In baseball, a swing and a miss is called a strike, but it remains an attempt to hit the ball out of the park).
The fact that the badging became so popular with some dealers that they continued to offer limited editions in the next few years is just now beginning to appear to have some credence. If it was purely a marketing strategy All W68 cars would probably been badged up to the introduction of the gen 4's in 1992.

Last edited by TRANSSPORT; 03-28-2015 at 10:29 PM. Reason: typo
Old 03-28-2015, 10:19 PM

My brother was best friend with the eventual owner of a GM/Chevy dealership and I was friends with his brother who owned the local Pontiac dealership. It's one of the reasons I don't buy cars from dealers. Anything that can give them an advantage over another dealer they will do. If I were in LA and could sell this car but the dealer in San Diego couldn't you bet I would advertise it.
Old 03-28-2015, 10:42 PM

With all due respect AmorgetRS, I believe it actually really does. If my theory is correct and the initial release WAS for homologation, there was no need to badge them beyond the original release. The fact that there were few takers of the exemption provided by this release does not mean it was not an ATTEMPT to get amateurs to race these cars in SCCA Showroom Stock A. (In baseball, a swing and a miss is called a strike, but it remains an attempt to hit the ball out of the park).
The fact that the badging became so popular with some dealers that they continued to offer limited editions in the next few years is just now beginning to appear to have some credence. If it was purely a marketing strategy All W68 cars would probably been badged up to the introduction of the gen 4's in 1992.
I was actually referring to them being a special dealer order item, sorry that I didn't make that clear.
Old 03-28-2015, 10:46 PM

Maybe SSA said "Hey wait a minute, we want royalties", or another brand gets known for the XS logo. Don't want to promote the competition you know!
As far as the SCCA wanting royalties for SSA badging you may have a point. As far as the XS goes, I think GM could have defended their right to use it. They released a rare XS Oldsmobile in 1977.
http://www.supersportmotors.com/view...vehicle_id=164
Old 03-28-2015, 11:02 PM

Strong dealers could get most anything they want. Even if the same equipment is available under the same code to others, getting the approval from corporate for a name change would not have been out of the question. That may have been the only reason they qualified it for racing. They then would be allowed to rebadge it for the local market. And hey, its a real life race car! Drive it enough to get really good pictures for promos. Who cares if it ever ran or finished a race. That was not the point. It looks good! And doe's it sell more cars.
I'm sorry if I sound cynical about the car Industry, but I've seen it from the inside. Car dealers are some of the most ruthless business people I have ever known. And that's just between themselves, never mind the public.
Old 03-29-2015, 04:44 AM

Car dealers are some of the most ruthless business people I have ever known. And that's just between themselves, never mind the public.
"If I were in charge of a...car company in need of some publicity... you can bet that I’d be advocating the production of an “option code special” to help privateers win in showroom stock racing. It’s an ethos that succeeded in the 1960s, 70s, and 80s, so why wouldn’t it work now? Win on Sunday, sell on Monday.
I have never seen a more diverse field of starters, ranging from the turbocharged four cylinders found in the Ford Mustang Cobra and Saab 900, through Mazda’s famed rotary, and Nissan’s inline-six, to the naturally aspirated four cylinders of the Porsche. Most of the cars involved in this race are in the 125-150 horsepower range, and around 2,500 pounds.
This was exactly what Porsche did with their 924 in 1980, as their Showroom Stock A national championship... was a major victory for them...and you can bet that Porsche was very interested in promoting that fact. As a result, two different dealership posters were created, and countless advertisements were run to tell people that the car had won."

vintage-scca-racing-action-at-road-atlanta/

Think Pontiac wasn't interested in amateur and semi-pro SCCA events? I found this 1989 Texas Spokes Sports Car Club introducing Pontiacs sponsorship of the "Women's Pro Solo Challenge". Read the last paragraph in the scan below.

1989 Pontiac SCCA Ladies Challenge Sponsorship
Old 03-29-2015, 09:43 AM

Racing was a legit way for my friends dealership to move in on another dealers territory. They owned and sponsored race events throughout the midwest. Their name was on everything. They couldn't advertise in another dealers area, but through racing, could put their name in front of smaller dealers customers. Exclusive deals with corporate to get certain top of the line cars with options other dealers could not get or would get latter than the big boys. Competition between dealers of the same company was common in the 60's 70's and 80's. These days guys like Hendrick own huge dealerships and you don't see as much competition.
Old 03-29-2015, 10:17 AM

A good example of what I am saying is Hendrick himself. He's wrapped himself around Nascar and guess where the majority of his dealerships are. In and around Nascar city's and states where Nascar is big. This was not an accident.
Old 03-31-2015, 12:22 AM

Transsport, I would trace who the dealers involved were. See if they were involved with local racing. I'll bet they qualified cars in other classes. This kind of thing would be done by a professional organization with money. I can't imagine corporate putting too much of their budget into this class of racing.
Also these kinds of deals sometimes are for a limited number of vehicles not time. Since they are all 3rd gens, the dealer or dealers may have simply filled their quota.
This would also explain why you found different adhesives. The badging was probably done at the time the car was unpacked and detailed at the dealers location. The unusual badging would have been a nightmare at the factory. Instead of being built on the line and shipped, they would have been removed, changes made, and reintroduced to the shipping system. Production systems were much harder to change then. This was a special run. It would be much easier to let the dealership do it in prep.
Old 04-05-2015, 12:35 AM

I'm beginning to think in the case of the So. Cal SSA cars we MAY be dealing with a single SCCA event, probably at Sears Point (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sonoma_Raceway) or http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Riverside_International_Raceway.

Pontiac worked closely with SCCA events to promote the Firebird. They held regular Trans Am Territory events.

Pontiac SCCA promotions
When the Gen 3 was introduced, The Milwaulie zone Dealers held a drive-away promotion featuring 100 fully optioned Firebirds at a Trans Am Territory at Road America in Elkhart Lake, Wisconsin.

I wonder if these 1989 SSA's were badged and gathered at Sears Point in one of these promos. The ones that didn't sell would return to the San Francisco and Sacramento dealers for disposal. There might even have been a Dealer from Arizona attending the event who scored a car or 2 for his lot, thus giving us a false positive (see thread beginning above).

So, these cars MAY have been optioned and badged in conjunction with an SCCA race as a promotion after all. This was still smart on both fronts (marketing and racing). Rest assured Pontiac would have loved it if more amatuers entered thier v6 firebirds in Showroom Stock A, and by producing this promotional batch, as stated, they DID make that possible.

I found evidence that v6 camaros DID compete in SSA in the mid 80's,

and both Chevrolet and Pontiac did, in fact, homologate their V6 F-bodies with the SCCA in 1996.

"TB 97-01 Eff 1/1/97 SSA Classify 1996-1997 Chevrolet Camaro V-6
(with performance option).

TB 97-03 Eff 3/1/97 SSA 1996-1997 Chevrolet Camaro V-6 (with
performance option). Add to
specifications as follows: Weight: 3260
lbs.

TB 97-04 Eff 4/1/97 SSA 1996-1997 Chevrolet Camaro V-6 (with
specifications as follows: Wheelbase:
101.1", Track: (F) 60.7", (R) 60.6",
Wheels: 16" x 8", Tire Size: 235/55,
Final Drive: 3.42, Brakes: (F) 10.9"
Disc, (R) 11.4" Disc.
TB 97-01 Eff 1/1/97 SSA Classify 1996-1997 Pontiac Firebird V-6
(with performance option).

TB 97-03 Eff 3/1/97 SSA 1996-1997 Pontiac Firebird V-6 (with
specifications as follows: Weight: 3260
lbs.

TB 97-04 Eff 4/1/97 SSA 1996-1997 Pontiac Firebird V-6 (with
specifications as follows: Wheelbase:
101.1", Track: (F) 60.7", (R) 60.6",
Wheels: 16" x 8", Tire Size: 235/55,
Final Drive: 3.42, Brakes: (F) 10.9"
Disc, (R) 11.4" Disc."
scca+1996+ssa+revisions

Another interesting Note: The prefix "X" = PRO. So XS could mean "PRO STOCK" as opposed to SS meaning Showroom Stock:

"Pro Class
A "Pro" class is available to any competitor who wishes to have more
competition than they would otherwise have in their standard open class.
Pro class competitors will be awarded championship points for the pro class
at each event based upon their PAX times from the event.
To register for a pro class, simply add an "X" to the beginning of your
normal class. For instance, a Corvette Z06 which would normally be in
"SS", has the option or registering as "XSS", and running in the pro class."

Apart from these thoughts, I removed my TRANS SPORT emblems and affixed my aquired SSA emblems on my 91 W68. In the absence of an absolute "fixed" location, I decided to run them low on the fenders where the old FIREBIRD badges were placed.

I also decided to "Black Out" the "A" as only V6's qualify for Showroom Stock A, and mine came stock with a 305.

Last edited by TRANSSPORT; 04-27-2015 at 02:46 AM. Reason: wrong scan
Old 04-05-2015, 06:16 AM

Another interesting Note: The prefix "X" = PRO. So XS could mean "PRO STOCK" as opposed to SS meaning Showroom Stock:
I would guess that XS means EXCESS and has more to do with marketing, perhaps to insinuate that a car had lots of features or options.
Old 04-05-2015, 04:23 PM

I would guess that XS means EXCESS and has more to do with marketing, perhaps to insinuate that a car had lots of features or options.
I agree with you two-if-by-sea. I made the Excess connection early on. The 89 XS as marketed in 88 has NO connection to a Pro Stock class, I was not suggesting this as an actual interpretation of the badge. I only noted the above as a point of interest. If I were building a Pro Stock Firebird, I WOULD consider badging it as an XS, regardless of the year, as it WOULD fit THAT application.

Another point of interest for customizers is this:
For years HURST has marketed an SSA INDY shifter. It would be ludicrous, however, to postulate that the 89 SSA was named after the HURST (Short Shift Arm) shifter. Again, though, as a customizer I might consider badging a FIREBIRD with a HURST SSA shifter with the 89 SSA Logos. Just a thought for all you hot rodders out there.

Last edited by TRANSSPORT; 04-05-2015 at 04:40 PM. Reason: added additional info.
Old 04-11-2015, 08:25 PM

So the previous post got me thinking along the lines of what XS COULD actually mean in terms of ACTUAL Pontiac terminology. After all, the Citation X-11 was a car released with spoilers and cowl induction hood for SCCA SSB homologation.
http://www.city-data.com/forum/autom...itation-2.html
Turns out X-11 is NOT without meaning, being the phrase used to describe and order a similar package for both 6 and 8 cylinder, Gen 1 Camaros.
how-determine-if-69-camaro-code-X-11-true-ss
In our case W68 would have been just fine. After all, the Trans Am uses a "W" in the vin code for identification, and the base car could be ordered with both a 6 and an 8. (Truth is, the badges would probably have been W6 OR W8, like the G6 and G8 cars of recent vintage). What if they were asked to come up with something like the Camaro RS badge, but just change the first letter? Regular Firebirds are denoted with an "S" in the vin, Trans Ams with a "W", so WS might work, but it has a few too many syllables to roll off the tongue easily. But wait!!! There is a more fitting letter. Beginning in 1979 with the 10th Anniversary edition Trans Am, Most limited edition Trans Ams were designated with an "X" in the vin!
Pontiac:
| | | | S = Firebird
| | | | V = Formula
| | | | T = Esprit
| | | | W = Trans Am
| | | | X = Trans Am Special Edition
http://www.transamworld.com/2genvins.php

This practiced continued at least up to 1986.
http://www.iroc-ss.com/vin.htm

What BETTER way to describe a limited, special edition combination between a Trans Am and a base Firebird than to combine the 2 vin numbers that specify those models into one, RS-like badge! XS!!!!!!!!
Old 04-11-2015, 11:56 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 1983 Daytona 500 Pace Car
Engine: CFI - 305
Transmission: Automatic-700R4

X was used from 1982 through 1986 for the Firebird S/E and not any of the Trans Am Special Editions.
Old 04-12-2015, 03:26 AM

Originally Posted by simo
X was used from 1982 through 1986 for the Firebird S/E and not any of the Trans Am Special Editions.
Thank you Simo. This is the kind of participation I am hoping for. Apparently, what you say is true.

The book, Original Pontiac Firebird and Trans Am 1967-2002
By Jim Schil backs your statement up:

This DOES NOT CHANGE ANYTHING! Those of you that interpret it to simply mean a base firebird with an "excess" of upgrades can choose to interpret the "X" with the SE. BUT, since The S/E model and it's affiliation with the "X" in the vin code was over by 1988, IMO the interpretation of "XS" being a combination of a Trans Am and a base Firebird can still be pinned to the ORIGINAL usage of "X" from 1979 - 1981 in the same manner as X-11 was borrowed from the 1969 Sport Appearance Package.

1st digit: GM line number:
Pontiac=2
2nd digit: Series number:
S=Base Firebird
T=Esprits
U=Formula
V=Trans Am (1972-74)
W=Trans Am (1975-1980)
X=10th Anniversary Trans Am (1979)
X=Turbo Indy Trans Am (1980)
X=Special Edition Trans Am (1981)

Thanks again, I appreciate the help, but I stand by the interpretation because it still fits like a glove.

Last edited by TRANSSPORT; 04-12-2015 at 03:27 AM. Reason: typo
Old 07-05-2015, 04:38 AM

Happy fourth everyone! As we bask in the afterglow of celebrating our nation's history I have a few more historical tidbits to add to this thread.

First let's tackle the prototype, or forerunner of the w68 sport appearance package. I'm talking 1988's RPO z20 limited offering.

“RPO Z20 was only an option for the 1988 model year, and less than 800 examples are believed to have been sold,“ said Ray Yager, Classic Industries Merchandising Director.

This was a 1988-ONLY option from Pontiac. It features 2nd Gen-esque "spats", special center cap logos, and a unique duck tail spoiler which also took styling ques from the 2nd Gen.

The story behind this package is not documented, but it is believed to have been taken from conceptual pieces leading up to the initial run of Trans Ams in 1982, and utilized to "spice up" the Firebird line... Also unclear is why Pontiac only offered this in 1988 and why it was only offered on the base Firebird. The Option is fairly rare and highly sought after."

http://www.gtasourcepage.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=54561

Now THIS is the car that should have been branded XS, and may be the origin of the name (if my above stated theory is correct).

Rather than continue offering Z20 in 1989, Pontiac decided to offer the current aero package instead. Why offer an aero package on the base firebird in 1988 - 1989? One possible reason (besides the a fore stated desire to homologate a v-6 WITH an aero package) was the imminent disqualification of 305 Trans Ams in SSA competition. Yes I'm talking non - TPI 5 liter Trans Ams running in SSA like the one photographed in 1988 pictured below.

This is obviously a 1984 Trans Am. As showroom stock had to be "stock" it is running a 305 v8. When GM came out with the 1985 model TPI motors (in 1984), the Trans Ams and IROC / Z28 Camaros were peeled off into the newly created SSGT and no longer qualified for SSA. 1982 - 1984 f bodies were already grandfathered in (the 84 model was released pre - ban in 1983). As pre - qualified cars were allowed tocontinue to compete for 5 years, we see the above, sanctioned 1984, non-TPI 305 v8 competing in 1988! This would be it's last year, and(to my knowledge) no v8 firebird or Camaro was currently poised to replace it. I say this because, while info is admittedly scarce and could be incomplete, I find a gap in the models qualified by both Chevrolet and Pontiac. They apparently did not try to homologate a base, v8 powered Firebird or Camaro between the inception of SSGT in 1984 and the release of the XS and SSA in 1989, probably because they already had a few of the grandfathered cars on the circuit due to a loophole and did not want to push the issue.

Wait! How could building a limited run of V6 powered, aero skirted Ponchos qualify a non TPI 305 v8 for competition? Because you only had to qualify the BODY. As stated previously, the rule did not allow you to mount skirts on a car that was not manufactured with skirts. The rules DID allow you to run any option that BODY came with, that is why GM NEVER had to build a certain amount of 1LE cars. The body was qualified, the optional brakes were installed on the assembly line, good to go. By building at least 500 XS / SSA cars, Pontiac assured that a factory installed 305 was also good to go. In fact, they initially INSISTED upon it.
According to the authoritative Firebird Red Book (the companion to the Camaro Whitebook), the 1989 W68 package "required the optional 305"! What this means is that Pontiac built the initial run of V6 W68 XS / SSA cars in defiance of stated GM policy. (we've NEVER encountered THAT before, have we?)

So why not build the XS / SSA limited run with the 305? The truth is that many Homologation specials were not selling well. The Holden v8 SSA had to be discounted, another company I read about (I believe it was FORD) had to retrofit Homologation cars as regular cars to sell them off completely. Besides which, there WAS a definite need to offer an economical Trans Am type car in California to circumvent astronomical insurance rates. One member of this forum was involved in advertising the XS and confirms that that WAS the purpose (as explained to him). I say as explained to him because Pontiac has a history of using MARKETING to mask what RACING was actually trying to accomplish. One example, a mid-90's documentary on Trans Am racing quotes a MARKETING executive as saying "we had NO INTENTION of racing in the Trans Am series, We just liked the name." This despite the fact that according to "Firebird and Trans Am 1967-1994" Pontiac raced the 230 ci six in SCCA TRans Am in 1967, the Canadian built 305 in 1968 AND the monstrous, de-stroked 400 (304) in 1969. Pontiac also contracted Jack Brabham to construct a Formula based, destroked 400 but decided not to use it because it was too expensive, and the domestic 304 was already almost done.

At any rate, the smokescreen XS was released in Hollywood, the SCCA targeted SSA in parts of California adjacent to early stops on the SCCA Trans Am circuit (as well as SCCA home town Denver, Co). It is also interesting to note that Arizona is part of the SCCA southern California region, which could explain a car or 2 ending up for sale there.

After being exposed to the v6 SSA's, anyone who was interested in actually racing a 305 W68 car simply had to go order one from a Pontiac dealer.

Having said all that, while the Aero skirted V6's were a shoo - in, we have no proof that the SCCA was open to qualifying a 305 non - TPI motored car in SSA in 1989. If there was an attempt by Pontiac, it did not pay off. Nor do we find any success in SSA for the W68 V6. While it is true that any cars I have found listed were regional winners (no complete list of actual participants having surfaced yet), The Firebirds and RS Camaros were not contenders in SSA in the early 90's. The Cosworth inspired, dual overhead cam Quad Four was the motor of choice in the GM contingent in SSA at this time (primarily in Oldsmobiles but also Grand Ams).

As a result,Olds actually supplanted Pontiac in third sales position in the GM Heirarchy and was actually a title sponsor of televised Trans Am racing.

"Production Quad 4s debuted in the ’88 model year. In a day when Oldsmobile’s 307ci V-8 made 180 hp in H.O. trim, a Four with half the displacement and the same horsepower at the flywheel propped everyone’s eyes open with toothpicks. (Base Quad 4s produced 30 hp less.) Why, Ford needed a turbo to get the same power output out of its 2.3L Four. Later, W41-package Olds Calais and Achievas made 190 hp.

Olds went racing with the Quad 4, primarily in IMSA Firehawk and SCCA Showroom Stock, racking up multiple class victories, manufacturers’ class championships in ’89 and from ’91-’93, and promoted its victories aggressively."
http://www.hotrod.com/

So, was the XS / SSA release a complete bust? No. It was so successful that at least by early 1989 the 305 requirement was dropped and customers could order the W68 with a v6. What about racing though? As mentioned above, SCCA was not the only target. Several Aeroskirted V6 Firebirds were entered in IMSA GTO and, while they were not competitive, they undoubtedly served as "Test Mules" to help develop the V6 engine into the one that graced the gen 4 Camaro / Firebird lineup. in 1997, once a competitive V6 was in place, Pontiac once again introduced the W68 package on the base V6 Firebird, successfully homologated it with the SCCA and did very well in SSA.

This is what I suspect may have happened, but in truth, the SSA could very well have been nothing more than a marketing tribute to SCCA SSA racing. As far as history goes, Pontiac's effort had little if any impact until the mid 90's, but eventually, W68 V6 Firebirds were very competitive in SCCA SSA racing. All it took was time and a lot of effort to accomplish.
Old 07-05-2015, 04:25 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1,052 Likes on 748 Posts

Or Pontiac wanted to get in on some of that sweet Camaro RS sales success and wanted a "branding" to make the car stand out from a regular "Firebird" or "Trans AM", so they picked a random designation. It was just marketing, nothing more, nothing less.
Old 07-05-2015, 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by Drew
Or Pontiac wanted to get in on some of that sweet Camaro RS sales success and wanted a "branding" to make the car stand out from a regular "Firebird" or "Trans AM", so they picked a random designation. It was just marketing, nothing more, nothing less.
No production Firebird or Trans Am EVER had a "Random Designation". That is the whole point behind all my research. Accept my explanations or provide your own but do NOT insult my intelligence by calling either the XS or SSA badges random and or meaningless. (Even the Camaro Rally Sport was shortened to RS to compete with the Porsche's popular "Renne Sport" edition, while still evoking fond memories of past Camaros.) That wasn't random, it was calculated as always.
Old 07-07-2015, 09:56 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1,052 Likes on 748 Posts

No production Firebird or Trans Am EVER had a "Random Designation".
Of course not. The Firebird was clearly named "Firebird" because it really looked like a bird engulfed in flames. "Camaro" isn't even a real word. What makes you think the SSA or XS is any different?

Look, the marketing teams stick whatever name on a car or option package they think is going to sell. That they used different terms for the same basic package, followed by no term at all is something of an indicator that it had no real meaning. If it's insulting your intelligence to suggest that the most obvious answer is likely true.... Well, that's your problem.
Old 07-07-2015, 12:40 PM

I for one like your thread Transport. You find a lot of interesting articles on our 3rd Gens.

I do believe that marketing had a lot to do with its creation, but racing and the racing culture was changing in the 80's. No longer were "Stock Cars Racers" really stock cars any more on the big racing circuit. Certain dealerships depended on local racing to sell to, but also the Branding they got from the casual street racing community and auto buyers. However this community was shrinking. I believe these cars among others were attempts to revive the old way of doing things. Create racing formats that showcase these cars to the public either in person or by results from the races.
By the way I was looking at CL listings in So Cal area and saw two XS's for sale last weekend.
Also that last article was interesting. I didn't know anything about the Special Appearance Package for the 1988's. It really doe's have a Gen 2 feel about it. I've never seen one before.

Quick Reply: The real purpose and meaning of the Firebird SSA (and XS)