Search

Go Back   Third Generation F-Body Message Boards > Tech Boards > Engine Swap > LTX and LSX
Register Forgot Password?

LTX and LSX Putting LT1s, LS1s, and their variants into Third Gens is becoming more popular. This board is for those who are doing and have done the swaps so they can discuss all of their technical aspects including repairs, swap info, and performance upgrades.

Welcome to ThirdGen.org!
Welcome to ThirdGen.org.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join the ThirdGen.org community today!

Old 03-14-2006, 07:46 PM   #1

Car: 1990 chevy camaro rs
Engine: lt1
Transmission: 4l60e
Axle/Gears: 273:(

Classifieds Rating: (1)
Send a message via AIM to xomega Send a message via Yahoo to xomega
lt1 no fire!

getting fuel .but im not getting spark. i grabbed the coil its self and it was nothing there after i saw no spark from the wire to the manifold. so i started searching for voltage. this is what i found. on the coil there is 2 plugs. one is black and one is gray. the gray only has 1 wire on it im pretty sure. well there is 12 volts on this wire. but however when the engine turns it drops to about 9. the other plug on the coil has no power. what can i do/ look for. into getting spark. thanks guys.
xomega is offline vBGarage Page   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 07:58 PM   #2

also posted in eletrical section.
Old 03-14-2006, 08:10 PM   #3
Supreme Member

Car: 1987 GTA
Engine: LT1
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 9 bolt 3.70 posi

Classifieds Rating: (0)

Sounds like the ignition control module took a dump
Klortho is offline vBGarage Page   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 08:12 PM   #4

the battery wasnt the strongest. it would turn it over about 6 times before it started to bog at all. but i do have voltage on the gray plug and no power off the coil. should there be voltage anywhere else? these do have crank sensors right? how does it work?
Old 03-14-2006, 08:14 PM   #5
Supreme Member

Car: 1987 GTA
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 9 bolt 3.70 posi

That's what the control module does, provides power to the coil, if it's bad, you'll have no spark.
Klortho is offline vBGarage Page   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 08:16 PM   #6

the grey clip plugs into the coil its self. not the one on the module plate. and the voltage drops going into the plate. but even at 9 volts it should still be a spark i would think. i dont know. ive me some advices and well try it out
Old 03-14-2006, 09:30 PM   #7

Car: 1989 Chevrolet Camaro
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 2000 rear, 3.73, auburn locker

Quote:
Originally posted by xomega
the grey clip plugs into the coil its self. not the one on the module plate. and the voltage drops going into the plate. but even at 9 volts it should still be a spark i would think. i dont know. ive me some advices and well try it out
The wire should have 12 volts when the key is in the start and on position. Anything less and it will throw a code or not work properly. Mine did the same thing the first time we wired it up. The voltage would be at 12 when the key was in the on position but when the key was turned to start it would drop to 8 or 9 and nothing would work. I tried a new coil and ignition module and neither worked until the voltage stayed at 12. We rewired it where the voltage wouldn't drop and it worked perfect. Also, make sure the coil and ignition module are grounded properly. You should be able to connect a test light to the positive side of the battery and touch the bracket and the light should come on.

93 LT1 with Hedman ceramic coated headers and 4 inch exhaust.
LT1powered89 is offline vBGarage Page   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 09:30 PM
ThirdGen
1992 Camaro

Paid Advertisement

Go Back   Third Generation F-Body Message Boards > Tech Boards > Engine Swap > LTX and LSX

Tags
95, 95camarocoilonecoildoesnotfire, camaro, coil, fire, firing, fuel, ignition, lt1, module, power, spark, wire