LTX and LSX Putting LT1s, LS1s, and their variants into Third Gens is becoming more popular. This board is for those who are doing and have done the swaps so they can discuss all of their technical aspects including repairs, swap info, and performance upgrades.

Cheapest way to a 5.3 swap

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2015, 10:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1987 Pontiac Firebird
Engine: 2.8 X V6
Transmission: 4 speed Auto
Cheapest way to a 5.3 swap

Hi I need some advice on a future project I have planned
I want to swap the 2.8 V6 for a 5.3 V8 from an early 2000s Tahoe,suburban,1500 etc. I want to know

1 besides the engine and transmission what else would I need For the newer engine to work with my ancient car (ex suspension motor mounts new ecu?)

2 would the rear differential from the donor vehicle be compatible with the rear axle housing on my firebird

3 would all this be possible to get with a budget of $3000

I want to use a 5.3 due to the low cost and high amount of availability,but I just don't know how to go about getting the right stuff for the swap. I don't want to just drop a 5.3 in it and find out it won't run because the computer won't communicate with the engine or my weak rear diff burns my tires to the ground or the suspension buckles halfway down the highway because it can't support the power/weight of the engine

Any help will be greatly appreciated
Old 08-16-2015, 11:16 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1,672 Likes on 1,269 Posts
Car: Yes
Engine: Usually
Transmission: Sometimes
Axle/Gears: Behind me somewhere
Re: Cheapest way to a 5.3 swap

1. ECM, harness, etc.; and all accessories possible, from the donor car. Then, a set of "swap" headers and "swap" mounts (neither of the truck things will work). "Suspension" is fine as-is, no doubt could use lots of renewal as virtually ALL of these cars can, but no "need" for modifications. You'll probably, almost certainly in fact, need a tune.

2. No. Truck rears won't fit our cars. Don't need it anyway.

3. Probably.
Old 08-17-2015, 12:48 AM
Supreme Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 86 Camaro
Engine: 355- hopefully a 5.3 this summer
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 3.42

you could buy a complete running but fairly high mileage donor truck for less than $1000 if you shop around and jump on a deal when it comes up.. pull the motor, harness, and anything else related to the engine (fuel pump, etc) out and sell the shell to someone looking to build a mud truck/demo truck or whatever for $500 or so...

then get an LS1 Camaro oil pan and pickup along with a set of exhaust manifolds off the same car.. set the engine in the car where you want it and make a set of engine mounts to use the stock V6 frame stands out of some 3/16" steel.. then it's just a matter of figuring out the electrical, fuel, and cooling systems...
Old 08-17-2015, 02:29 AM

Originally Posted by sofakingdom
1. ECM, harness, etc.; and all accessories possible, from the donor car. Then, a set of "swap" headers and "swap" mounts (neither of the truck things will work). "Suspension" is fine as-is, no doubt could use lots of renewal as virtually ALL of these cars can, but no "need" for modifications. You'll probably, almost certainly in fact, need a tune.

2. No. Truck rears won't fit our cars. Don't need it anyway.

3. Probably.
Thanks so I'll only need headers and motor mounts from another source. Exhaust i was gonna either use the stock stuff from behind the catalytic converter or custom fab a side pipe setup similar to a 70 challenger TA where just the tips stick out just in front of the rear wheels. I'll be sure to have a guy who knows his stuff helping me along the way.
I do think I can get it done for my budget considering there a few junkyards within close driving range from where I live one of them has to have a GM Tahoe or truck with a 5.3 and a 4th gen I can scavenge the parts I need
Old 08-17-2015, 02:32 AM

Originally Posted by novaderrik
you could buy a complete running but fairly high mileage donor truck for less than $1000 if you shop around and jump on a deal when it comes up.. pull the motor, harness, and anything else related to the engine (fuel pump, etc) out and sell the shell to someone looking to build a mud truck/demo truck or whatever for $500 or so...

then get an LS1 Camaro oil pan and pickup along with a set of exhaust manifolds off the same car.. set the engine in the car where you want it and make a set of engine mounts to use the stock V6 frame stands out of some 3/16" steel.. then it's just a matter of figuring out the electrical, fuel, and cooling systems...
Thanks I'll be sure to pull the LS1 intake too to insure it fits under the stock hood. And if I do end up with the entire truck I'll sell the leftovers and probably the old 2.8 as well
Old 08-28-2015, 05:17 AM

Car: 1989 Iroc-Z
Engine: LS1
Transmission: Tick Stage 2 T56
Axle/Gears: 2.77

Originally Posted by E Rod
Thanks I'll be sure to pull the LS1 intake too to insure it fits under the stock hood. And if I do end up with the entire truck I'll sell the leftovers and probably the old 2.8 as well
You should also try to find the F-body accessories so it can clear your hood. Read up as much as you can and make a list of exactly what you need so when you pull the trigger on the swap everything is accounted for and there aren't any surprises. Use keywords like "5.3 swap" "truck acessories" in the search button and you'll see how other people did their swaps and the problems they ran into with solutions.