DFI and ECM Discuss all aspects of DFI (Digital Fuel Injection), ECMs (Electronic Control Module), scanners, and diagnostic equipment. Fine tune your Third Gen computer system for top performance.

LS swap looking to tune ecu

Old 08-17-2015, 03:22 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 91 Firebird, 87 E'LS' Camino
Engine: 5.7 TPI, 5.3
Transmission: 700R4,200R4
Axle/Gears: 4.10 Lock Right locker/2.43
LS swap looking to tune ecu

I am sorry if this is in the wrong spot but I just bought a LS 5.3 swap (all wiring an ecu out of the donor truck) from a salvage yard for my 87 El Camino. For the time being will install it as stock as possible, but a combo of not really wanting to run 4 O2 sensors (since I don't have a cat set up) and my greed for speed I wanna look into tuning the stock ECU. I have no idea on tuning everyone else I know that has done this has gone with a aftermarket ecu (magesquirt v3) or has gone carbbed. Honestly though I mostly just want to change some simple things such as I am running a non comp controlled trans and emission delete and stuff like that. For later on I do have one that is the MAF setup so it seems like I could be able to throw a mild cam in it no problem. Thanks for all the help guys
Old 08-24-2015, 01:49 PM
Supreme Member

Received 174 Likes on 152 Posts
Re: LS swap looking to tune ecu

Originally Posted by nuggie
Honestly though I mostly just want to change some simple things such as I am running a non comp controlled trans and emission delete and stuff like that. For later on I do have one that is the MAF setup so it seems like I could be able to throw a mild cam in it no problem. Thanks for all the help guys
Consider looking into HP Tuners...

http://www.hptuners.com/
Old 08-24-2015, 07:18 PM
Supreme Member

Received 41 Likes on 27 Posts
Car: 1991 Camaro Z28
Engine: LS1
Transmission: 4L60E
Axle/Gears: Strange 12 Bolt, 3.42

Just about any tuner can put a baseline tune into your ECM and delete anything that you don't need. It usually costs around $150-200. That is probably the easiest route to go. If you don't know anyone locally you can mail the ECM to a tuner. Frost is probably the most well known mail order tuner.

Or look into getting HP Tuners and do it yourself as Street Lethal said. HP tuners can pay for itself quickly if you plan on doing more modifications later...cam swaps, gear changes, etc.
Old 08-25-2015, 01:27 PM
TGO Supporter/Moderator

Received 89 Likes on 75 Posts
Car: '88 Formula, '94 Corvette, '95 Bird
Engine: LC9, 355" LT1, LT1
Transmission: T5, Zf6, 4L60E
Axle/Gears: 3.42, Dana44 3.45, 3.23

Originally Posted by nuggie
I am sorry if this is in the wrong spot but I just bought a LS 5.3 swap (all wiring an ecu out of the donor truck) from a salvage yard for my 87 El Camino. For the time being will install it as stock as possible, but a combo of not really wanting to run 4 O2 sensors (since I don't have a cat set up) and my greed for speed I wanna look into tuning the stock ECU. I have no idea on tuning everyone else I know that has done this has gone with a aftermarket ecu (magesquirt v3) or has gone carbbed. Honestly though I mostly just want to change some simple things such as I am running a non comp controlled trans and emission delete and stuff like that. For later on I do have one that is the MAF setup so it seems like I could be able to throw a mild cam in it no problem. Thanks for all the help guys
If most of your friends have gone Megasquirt, you should probably do the same. You'll get support from their experience, and you won't be as limited in the things you wish to change or do. Your goals may change over time.

-- Joe