LTX and LSX Putting LT1s, LS1s, and their variants into Third Gens is becoming more popular. This board is for those who are doing and have done the swaps so they can discuss all of their technical aspects including repairs, swap info, and performance upgrades.

LSX Wiring to 91 Bird what factory engine harness can/must be used if any

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2017, 11:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1991 Formula
Engine: 6.2 383 TPIS Miniram
Transmission: T-56
Axle/Gears: Moser 9" 4.11
LSX Wiring to 91 Bird what factory engine harness can/must be used if any

If I'm understanding the sticky correctly. You need a LSX engine harness or one of the kits that are out there. This would then connect to the firewall on the drivers side to the body harness connector which is behind the dash?

The stock 3rd gen engine harness isn't needed and is not used?

Guy in a Facebook group is doing a swap and was talking about keeping his engine harness to splice into for the lsx swap but from what I'm understanding with Fuzzy eyes from being in hospital lighting all day, being tired, and having ADD maybe I'm not understanding the wiring section in the sticky at the top of this forum.

So long story short.
I have a 91 Formula (factory T5 305 TPI MAP) (currently 383 TPIS Miniram T56). Squirrels got at my harness on the passenger side and basically chewed through the engine harness as it passes through the fender. I'm searching for a stock 90-92 TPI MAP harness. The previously mentioned guy in a Facebook group is selling his 305 and was going to keep the harness for his LSX swap.

I'm trying to get him what he needs while being able to get his stock 3rd gen harness from him. I have two harness's in the garage but I believe they are from late 80s models. Not sure off hand if they are TPI or TBI without looking into them. Also not sure if they are Auto or manual.

I could send him one of those harness's or the hacked harness/part of it where it connects to the firewall of my stock harness if that is what he needs. So I'm trying to sort out exactly what he would need for his swap. His I believe is a 91 and was 305/T5.

UPDATE
Dug around in the garage and two of the harness's I have are TBI one was marked 89 the other unmarked. I also have a TPI harness but I believe it is from a MAF car and unknown year along with the fact it has at least one section that is cut off but the main C100 connection and the wires directly out of it are intact for a significant length. I didn't follow the harness to see what are is cut off. I just noticed a bundle of wires is flat out cut off.

Not sure what difference there is with the pinning for a TBI/TPI and a MAP/MAF setup and if he could rehab any of these for his purpose or not.

Last edited by michael; 01-19-2017 at 09:00 AM.
Old 01-19-2017, 07:59 AM

Re: LSX Wiring to 91 Bird question

Oh my god I'm floating here in all this wiring information. LOL

So I'm getting that at least a 12-24" section of a factory 3rd gen harness is needed for the drivers side firewall connection. When doing an lsx swap is there a difference in using the 3rd gen engine harness section (mentioned above) between years and also tpi/tbi auto/manual?

Can one of the attached images just be ordered and the lsx harness be pinned into the C100 connector for the firewall?
Attached Thumbnails LSX Wiring to 91 Bird what factory engine harness can/must be used if any-s-l1600.jpg  

Last edited by michael; 01-19-2017 at 08:10 AM.
Old 01-21-2017, 04:00 AM
Supreme Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Car: 88 Formula, 90 Iroc RIP, 92 RS Sold
Engine: 305 to 350
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 10 Bolt
Re: LSX Wiring to 91 Bird what factory engine harness can/must be used if any

Yes and stock replacement can be pinned to work just follow schematic for your year vehicle as far c100 side and stickies for joining lsx harness to c100 pretty much your running the gauges and starter 12v etc thru c100 long storie short
Old 01-21-2017, 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by Zach/90\irocZ
Yes and stock replacement can be pinned to work just follow schematic for your year vehicle as far c100 side and stickies for joining lsx harness to c100 pretty much your running the gauges and starter 12v etc thru c100 long storie short
What part were you saying yes to? LOL It looks like you were saying yes to just buying a C100 and pinning the lsx harness into it and then also saying any stock 3rd gen c100 with a short old wiring section can also be used with splicing and repinning.

To me the 1st route is a no brainer. Your not dealing with excess wire especially since you have to pin into it one way or another anyway just taking less steps which will also avoid the possibility of not getting a solder joint good between harness's and also having a heat shrink that isn't exactly sealed all the way and creating one hell of an issue down the road.
Old 01-21-2017, 12:57 PM
Supreme Member

Yes You can do either or that's outlet up to you and what you want to do out come and looks will be the same any wires you don't need or use in c100 you just unpin

Either way will work and many haven't had issues either way

there's only a few wires you mate from LS harness to c100 and then c207 is integrated as well

Look at the stickies
Old 01-21-2017, 05:34 PM
COTM Editor

Received 1,855 Likes on 1,270 Posts
Car: '89 Firebird
Engine: 7.0L
Transmission: T56

Go buy a spool of wire, learn to solder, and fix your own harness.

If I were in that other guy's shoes I wouldn't give you the stock harness either. The electrical wiring in the '80s wasn't as modular as it is now. The engine wiring is tangled up with the chassis wiring and everything is too intertwined to just give you a section of it.
Old 01-23-2017, 11:39 PM

Originally Posted by QwkTrip
Go buy a spool of wire, learn to solder, and fix your own harness.

If I were in that other guy's shoes I wouldn't give you the stock harness either. The electrical wiring in the '80s wasn't as modular as it is now. The engine wiring is tangled up with the chassis wiring and everything is too intertwined to just give you a section of it.
I can solder just fine.

I've done plenty of work on circuit boards with items as small as these
which wiring doesn't even come close to.

The other guy doesn't really want to hack up a TPI harness and I really don't want to go run around splicing a complete main section of loom back together so it would be a win win for both of us.
Old 01-23-2017, 11:49 PM

Yes You can do either or that's outlet up to you and what you want to do out come and looks will be the same any wires you don't need or use in c100 you just unpin

Either way will work and many haven't had issues either way

there's only a few wires you mate from LS harness to c100 and then c207 is integrated as well

Look at the stickies
I'm not seeing mention of the c207 unless I'm looking past it. That is the under dash connector on the pass side by the ecm correct? Which is part of the engine harness that passes through the pass fender correct?
Old 01-24-2017, 09:00 AM
COTM Editor

Originally Posted by michael
I can solder just fine.

I've done plenty of work on circuit boards with items as small as these
which wiring doesn't even come close to.
As a real pro then you should know how easy it is. Not that many wires in that bundle.

The other guy doesn't really want to hack up a TPI harness
He'll change his mind when he becomes more educated.

it would be a win win for both of us.
No it is not. Quit trying to screw some kid out of parts.
Old 01-26-2017, 02:11 AM
Supreme Member

I'm not seeing mention of the c207 unless I'm looking past it. That is the under dash connector on the pass side by the ecm correct? Which is part of the engine harness that passes through the pass fender correct?

Yes on driver passenger side
Old 01-26-2017, 02:15 AM
Supreme Member

You can also get a standalone harness and integrate tpi harness as well many ways to skin the cat for what it's worth like mention above you can sell tpi harness and get another harness from junk yard and do it that way but that's too much hassle it's honestly just easier to cut up tpi harness

Like mention above and I'll say again educate and search on this subject and other lsx related questions
Old 01-26-2017, 06:55 AM

You can also get a standalone harness and integrate tpi harness as well many ways to skin the cat for what it's worth like mention above you can sell tpi harness and get another harness from junk yard and do it that way but that's too much hassle it's honestly just easier to cut up tpi harness

Like mention above and I'll say again educate and search on this subject and other lsx related questions
In that regard once an LSX engine is in and the harness does the C207 reconnection come from the LSX harness or a TPI harness? Meaning I get it's best to use a C100 from a TPI as your stating but does the other end (C207) come from an old TPI harness or is it part of the LSX harness?

Could we swap harness's so he would have the unmolested C100 end of mine that hasn't been chewed up or is it necessary to have an intact harness for easier conversion/joining to an LSX harness? (My TPI harness is chewed completely through and shortened where it passes through the fender well)

As I stated earlier I didn't even see mention of the C207 in the swap thread under the wiring section.
Old 01-26-2017, 10:22 AM
COTM Editor

The C207 connector has quite a few power taps that most people will re-use to operate their LS engine harness. They leave the old harness on the car and splice onto it in the engine bay because the wire bundle is already run through the fender.

C100 connector is the pass-thru for gauges and things like that.
Old 01-27-2017, 08:12 PM
Supreme Member

Received 298 Likes on 234 Posts
Car: 92 Firebird
Engine: 4.8 LR4
Axle/Gears: 3.45 9 Bolt

The 207 is a connector inside the car that interfaced the engine harness, I think only for injected cars, to the interior dash harness. It is a 4th connector, or 3rd, near the ECM connections on the engine harness under the passenger side dash.

Some people make new harnesses for 3rd gens. I am making my own right now. I hope to finish by the end of the weekend. I'll have enough wire left over to make at least 3 or 4 of them
Old 01-27-2017, 08:54 PM
Supreme Member

https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/lt...p-3rd-gen.html
https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/lt...ml#post4305264
https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/lt...revisited.html