Search

Go Back   Third Generation F-Body Message Boards > Tech Boards > Suspension and Chassis
Register Forgot Password?

Suspension and Chassis Questions about your suspension? Need chassis advice?

Welcome to ThirdGen.org!
Welcome to ThirdGen.org.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join the ThirdGen.org community today!

Old 07-31-2005, 02:35 AM   #1
Supreme Member

Car: 1994 Trans Am
Engine: LT1
Transmission: Auto
Axle/Gears: 3.23

Classifieds Rating: (0)

Rotted bottom bushings on rear swaybar, cause bad viberations?

My car was making annoying "chunking" sounds on bumps and right turns and I thought the wheel was loose or something. Jacked the car up and the bolts were tight and all and then I looked around and saw that the bottom bushings attaching the sway bar were broken/dry-rotted off.

Obviously they need replacing, but will the lack of bushings cause a vibrations? I'm talking the whole car at around +/- 80mph? Or would it strictly be from out of balance tires?

Thanks.
Old 07-31-2005, 09:18 PM   #2
TGO Supporter

Car: 2003 SVT Focus
Engine: supercharged
Transmission: 6-speed

Send a message via AIM to CaysE
I believe you're talking about the endlinks and not the swaybar bushings; correct me if I'm wrong. I honestly can't see them causing much of a vibration if they were broken. They will cause some pretty bad body roll though.

The vibration could be from your wheels, but I would think it's more likely your driveshaft if you don't have an aluminum one. Think about getting it replaced. An aluminum driveshaft from any third or fourth-gen f-body should work.

Last edited by CaysE; 07-31-2005 at 09:23 PM.
CaysE is offline vBGarage Page   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 03:04 AM   #3
Supreme Member

Car: 1994 Trans Am
Engine: LT1
Transmission: Auto
Axle/Gears: 3.23

My car came was born with an aluminum DS, I was so happy to read that RPO code when I bought it. As for the endlinks, I didn't think they would cause a vibration, but just wondered what else other than crappy body-roll it would cause.

Does GM sell them individually or as a whole set? I'll find out tomorrow when I go to my GM dealership.

I need a tire balancing anyway.
BigWhiteGTP is offline vBGarage Page   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 11:00 AM   #4
TGO Supporter

Car: 2003 SVT Focus
Engine: supercharged
Transmission: 6-speed

Send a message via AIM to CaysE
Check for simple stuff like broken wheel studs or missing lugnuts first. Just check that everything is tight in the steering components and suspension.

Then I would get your wheel balance and alignment checked/fixed. If that's not it, get the driveshaft balanced. Still vibrations? Get the rotors cut. Still problems? Push the car off a mountain.

You can get polyurethane endlinks pretty cheap from spohn.net: http://www.spohn.net/category.cfm?categoryid=1069
CaysE is offline vBGarage Page   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 03:32 PM   #5

Car: too many ...

I say if one bushing actually rotted off, good chance there are others that are no good. I think it would be a good idea to consider replacing all your bushings regardless of how they look. Then once you got that taken care of, then look into something else if the vibrations or noises persist. I dont usually recommend replacing stuff before identifying the problem, but in this case it would be a good idea either way to ensure all your bushings are in good shape.
Old 08-01-2005, 03:32 PM
ThirdGen
1992 Camaro

Paid Advertisement

Go Back   Third Generation F-Body Message Boards > Tech Boards > Suspension and Chassis

Tags
bad, bar, broken, bushing, bushings, car, causing, front, link, rear, rotted, sway, vibrating, vibration, vibrations