Suspension and Chassis Questions about your suspension? Need chassis advice?

Tires rub after steering gear replacement.

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2014, 12:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tires rub after steering gear replacement.

You know those nights you just can't get to sleep because that project won't leave your brain? That's tonight.
I've got an '85 Trans Am that I replaced the steering gear in about a year ago. Only after replacing it and returning the old one for the core did I learn that there were stock and performance gears. I don't know which the car came with and it was too late to check. Stickers are all missing.
So, after the replacement I realized my tires would rub the frame when locked either left or right.
My question is this: Did I get the wrong steering gear when I replaced it, and is there a way to stop it from rubbing?
Also, I assumed when taking everything apart that the flats in the splines would keep everything aligned when I put it back together, but my wheel is now tipped slightly left when driving straight. Is this related to the steering gear, or was I just stupid and misaligned the shafts when I put everything back together?

Any responses are appreciated, even if it's just telling me I made rash maintenance decisions.