Suspension and Chassis Questions about your suspension? Need chassis advice?

Rear suspension

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2015, 09:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 89 Camaro Iroc Z28 R/S
Engine: 350 TPI 9.8:1
Transmission: 700R4
Rear suspension

What's a good set of springs and shocks for my 89' Iroc Z28? Is there a good place to get these or just off the shelf stuff at the local parts house?
Old 09-16-2015, 09:44 PM

Re: Rear suspension

?

Last edited by Clint307; 09-16-2015 at 09:49 PM.
Old 09-19-2015, 10:03 AM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 92 Camaro RS
Engine: LS1
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 10bolt w3.42 Torsen

street, drag, or autoX? want to go lower or stock ride height?

You probably aren't getting too many responses cause this question has been asked thousands of times. A search would give you plenty of info to look over.
Old 09-19-2015, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by plum92_camaro
street, drag, or autoX? want to go lower or stock ride height?

You probably aren't getting too many responses cause this question has been asked thousands of times. A search would give you plenty of info to look over.
Stock ride height. I know it's been answered many times but every time I do a search for something it comes up with off the wall sites.
Old 09-19-2015, 08:25 PM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 92 Camaro RS
Engine: LS1
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 10bolt w3.42 Torsen

Originally Posted by Clint307
Stock ride height. I know it's been answered many times but every time I do a search for something it comes up with off the wall sites.
even through this page's search engine?

Well, my is that you need to keep in mind that these cars are 23+ years old and the suspensions tend to sag some. On average a NEW 1" lowering spring kit will end up at the same height the car sits now. If you want a true original ride height the most recommended spring is the MOOGs. There are several different options, the difference is the spring rates. I can't recall which part numbers are IROCs and which part number is v6 springs but a search on this site (should see it at the top of the screen on the blue or red option bar).

For your struts/shocks, KYB's would be good, bilstiens would be better and Koni yellows would be best. I'd put the bilstiens on a stock IROC. You wouldn't regret it.

Also consider that your car is 26 years old, all the rubber bushings in your suspension and in the strut mounts are probably very dried up, hard, and cracking. Since you are already taking out the springs and struts, It's really not a whole lot more work to do these now. Again I would recommend MOOG for all these. And check your steering linkage and ball joints too while your in there, since you'll have most of it apart anyway. I found its SIGNIFICANTLY cheaper to order all these bushings and steering linkage online from rock auto, summit, or jegs than from a parts store.

Do all that and it should ride and handle like or almost like a brand new IROC!!!

Last edited by plum92_camaro; 09-19-2015 at 08:29 PM.
Old 09-22-2015, 05:12 AM

Originally Posted by plum92_camaro
even through this page's search engine?

Well, my is that you need to keep in mind that these cars are 23+ years old and the suspensions tend to sag some. On average a NEW 1" lowering spring kit will end up at the same height the car sits now. If you want a true original ride height the most recommended spring is the MOOGs. There are several different options, the difference is the spring rates. I can't recall which part numbers are IROCs and which part number is v6 springs but a search on this site (should see it at the top of the screen on the blue or red option bar).

For your struts/shocks, KYB's would be good, bilstiens would be better and Koni yellows would be best. I'd put the bilstiens on a stock IROC. You wouldn't regret it.

Also consider that your car is 26 years old, all the rubber bushings in your suspension and in the strut mounts are probably very dried up, hard, and cracking. Since you are already taking out the springs and struts, It's really not a whole lot more work to do these now. Again I would recommend MOOG for all these. And check your steering linkage and ball joints too while your in there, since you'll have most of it apart anyway. I found its SIGNIFICANTLY cheaper to order all these bushings and steering linkage online from rock auto, summit, or jegs than from a parts store.

Do all that and it should ride and handle like or almost like a brand new IROC!!!
Thank you for all the info, yes I was planning on replacing all the rubber bushings from the front to the back because it does ride a little rough and when I power into it I can feel a hard hit in the rear from I'm assuming bad bushings or it's riding on a bottomed out shock. First thing I have to do is get the locking lug nuts off the dang thing cause the kid I got the car from didn't have the tool for them. Once I get those off then I can start the repairs and replacements. The front feels tight but like you said it's old and things wouldn't hurt any from putting new into it. I'll do some more searching on here and find more info. I just never have time to do anything cause I'm either working or doing things with my son for school. Gonna have to make the time to get some more knowledge from here.
Again thanks for your help and input.
Old 09-23-2015, 12:33 AM
Supreme Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Car: 1988 Camaro
Engine: 355, 10.34:1, 249/252 @.050", IK200
Transmission: TH-400, 3500 stall 9.5" converter
Axle/Gears: Ford 9", detroit locker, 3.89 gears

I used Moog Iroc replacement springs on the rear of mine and KYB AGX adjustable rear shocks
Old 09-23-2015, 02:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1988 IROC Camaro (RHD)
Engine: 350 ci L98 SBC
Transmission: T700
Axle/Gears: 9 bolt BW, Disk, Posi-traction

If it's an IROC you probably have Yellow Bilstein shocks on the rear. Factory Bilstein dealers can rebuild them like new for half the price of new shocks.

Got the local dealer to rebuild my factory front Koni red struts and they are like new, very happy.
Old 09-23-2015, 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by peterc005
If it's an IROC you probably have Yellow Bilstein shocks on the rear. Factory Bilstein dealers can rebuild them like new for half the price of new shocks.

Got the local dealer to rebuild my factory front Koni red struts and they are like new, very happy.
The shocks on the rear of mine are red, I haven't seen what brand they are but I'm sure they aren't stock or OEM anymore.