Suspension and Chassis Questions about your suspension? Need chassis advice?

Front Suspension/Steering Replacemnt (and rear shocks)

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2016, 12:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: '96 Camaro-Vsux -- SOLD, '84 Z/28
Engine: 3.8L, 305 SBC
Transmission: 4L60E, T-5
Axle/Gears: 3.08s, 3.23s
Front Suspension/Steering Replacemnt (and rear shocks)

Before summer hits this year, I want to replace the steering and suspension components on my third gen. One of the things I noticed last year when turning somewhat sharp is I hear this "popping" sound in the passenger side front wheel. Most of the time is when I'm backing out and turn the steering sharp. I'm thinking it's the lower ball joint but can't really tell (I jacked up the side and could not pull or tug on the wheel in up or down movement). Another thing I looked at were the strut mounts on both side. As far as I can tell, the rubber looked very good--it just had some caked on dirt I scraped off. After further inspection, I'm thinking the shocks were replaced at some point recently. The brand looks like "SensaTrac" I think? The bouncing/rebound I think is fairly bad as I would want to replace the shocks/struts.

At any rate, I think it's time to replace some parts. My budget is $300 for all new steering components and both shocks and struts. I'm hoping to NOT go over that.

* Inner/outer tie rods (x4)
* Center link
* Idler arm
* Lower ball joint (x2)

* Shocks (x2)
* Struts (x2)

In the first pictures below, you'll see the strut mounts rubber. I'm not sure how else to check these other than the rubber looking good/bad. I don't see any Zerk fitting to grease any bearing--not sure. The other pic you'll see the steering components and how nasty they look. And then lastly, you'll see the "SensaTrac" shocks/struts that are installed all around. They look fairly new as I think the previous owner replaced them before because they are definitely not stock, right?

Last question, Is there anything else that could contribute to the "popping" sound when turning? The ONLY other thing I think it could possibly be is the lower control A-arms bushings? They didn't look too bad as the rubber bushings seemed okay. I guess I could try tightening up the bolts just to make sure.
Attached Thumbnails Front Suspension/Steering Replacemnt (and rear shocks)-20160122_173123.jpg   Front Suspension/Steering Replacemnt (and rear shocks)-20160122_173153.jpg   Front Suspension/Steering Replacemnt (and rear shocks)-20160122_194023.jpg   Front Suspension/Steering Replacemnt (and rear shocks)-20160122_194038.jpg   Front Suspension/Steering Replacemnt (and rear shocks)-20160122_194539.jpg  

Old 01-23-2016, 12:25 AM

Re: Front Suspension/Steering Replacemnt (and rear shocks)

I guess these "Sensatrac" struts are MONROE brand. Honestly...I think they're trash.
Old 01-23-2016, 12:37 AM

Looking at autozone and oreily's, I couldn't find that great of pricing it seems. A subtotal of almost $200 for everything I need at Oreily's. Sheesh!!...

On the other hand, there's some nice kits on ebay that include everything for about $100!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/351534730411?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
Attached Thumbnails Front Suspension/Steering Replacemnt (and rear shocks)-bad-prices.jpg  
Old 01-23-2016, 01:19 AM

For struts and shocks, I think I'm going to go with KYB.

The lowest price I found for all struts and shocks is $135. Not bad!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-KYB-Excel-...lU9ytM&vxp=mtr
Old 01-23-2016, 07:11 AM
Supreme Member

Received 239 Likes on 185 Posts
Car: 1991 Z28
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3:42 Auburn

I to have that popping sound when I turn sharp and am going slow. I had the front end checked and it all was good, Mine may be that I have 18's and wide tires on the front.
For your front end parts I would use Moog or Fed. Mogul. That $100 kit probably ain't worth melting down for that cheap china steel! I know from ex. I needed a ldler arm and they were out of the Moog part. I bought one of those $30 cheapos and replaced it a year later. American steel or China steel....there is no comparison!
As for the shocks, I like KYB but those Excel models are about the same as the stock shocks. they won't be much of an upgrade. I have the KYB gas-adjust on the rear and the AGR adjustable for the struts. You will have to go over budget for this but you will be much better off in the long run. IMHO
Old 01-23-2016, 05:32 PM

I'm not sure what else the popping sound could be from. I doubt its the bushings in the lower control arms because I think the lower ball joint is changing its position the most through the articulation.

As for the $100 kit that is a very good note depending on if they're the "china" junk. I'm willing to take the chance. I'm usually pretty good about greasing ball joints to make them last. It just seems pretty hard to justify getting steering components if I could make these ones last longer. I think the reason why they're so cheap is because they're offered in a kit versus getting them individually.

Ya I think I'll try the KYB. If they last 50,000 miles like they advertise--I think the $135 is a great deal. I'm not trying to go better than stock as I really want to just restore my suspension--which I think will be VERY easy coming from these crappy monroe shocks.

I only put probably about 5000 to 8000 miles on my third gen during the summer months. So at that rate I think I can get about 10 years of usage from both the shocks and steering components.
Old 01-23-2016, 06:33 PM

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 1992 Z28 1991 RS
Engine: LB9 LO3
Transmission: 5 speeds

Speaking from experience, those eBay kits are not worth the labor it takes to install them. I had a guy insist on going with one and he was replacing it with real components in 6 months. He wasted money by paying labor twice. But hey, it's your car. The KYBs will be fine for a stock suspension summer cruiser.
Old 01-23-2016, 11:20 PM

Interesting points, guys. I emailed multiple ebay sellers asking about their warranty. I'll try and feel them out.
Old 01-24-2016, 08:15 AM
Supreme Member

Received 239 Likes on 185 Posts
Car: 1991 Z28
Axle/Gears: 3:42 Auburn

Originally Posted by RocketyMan
Interesting points, guys. I emailed multiple ebay sellers asking about their warranty. I'll try and feel them out.
TY is right, its the cost of the labor that will get you even if they warranty the parts. If your idler arm is lose as you posted replace it with a good one. Check the ball joints and if one is bad then replace both. I would not replace parts that don't need replacing with inferior parts. The old saying holds true here...If It Ain't Broke Don't Fix It.

I forgot to mention, I added a wonderbar from TDS. That made a world of difference in not just the "popping" sound but the overall "creeking noises that come from the front end. $75 well spent on this item.
Old 01-24-2016, 11:10 AM

Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts
Car: 91 z28
Engine: 305 tpi
Transmission: t5
Axle/Gears: lt1 10 bolt 3.23

Before you go blindly replacing parts that you "think" are bad, you need to check this stuff properly. To inspect the ball joints and steering components, you need to jack the car up and support it on jack stands from the front control arms. Just jacking the car up off the k member or subframe places these parts under tension from the springs, and you won't be able to detect play in the components.

Grab a front wheel at the 12 and 6 o'clock positions and push/pull the tire to check play in the lower ball joint. If you feel play, verify it by having someone else do the same while you grab the ball joint. If it isn't in the bj, check the strut. Do the same at the 9 and 3 o'clock positions to check the steering components with the steering column locked. Take a look at the front brakes too. I have had some strange noises come from there I wouldn't have originally guessed to have been brake related in the past.

For these cars it's Moog, AC Delco, or bust on anything with a ball joint. I wouldn't waste my time with anything else. Just because part stores have a lifetime warranty on their house brand no-name stuff doesn't mean it's good. It just means they'll give you another part. Look at the customer service and return policy for that ebay kit you posted. That should be a clear indication that what they are selling is junk.

For buying parts, I start by going to www.rockauto.com

They always have a 5% off discount code:

http://www.retailmenot.com/view/rockauto.com

Copy and paste this in the "how did you hear about us" box and keep an eye on the shipping charges. I have a cart full of Moog stuff right now and it's all coming out of the same warehouse so we're off to a good start.

Then, go to http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/home

Navigating their site in general just sucks. Put in your car's make and model, select your store and use the Moog part number you get on Rock Auto's site and it should bring them up. Put it in your cart even though it is way more money than RA. If it isn't showing up in your store's inventory, you will have to pick another nearby store who has it or else sometimes you can get the store to order the parts in for you so you can use the discount code the next day when the part is in their inventory, but most stores will give you a hard time about it.

Then go to http://www.retailmenot.com/view/advanceautoparts.com and grab the discount code that will save you the most money. Sometimes, I throw cans of brake clean in my cart to hit the $20 off $50 purchase because it makes it even cheaper than just using a 20% off my $41 order and I'm getting free cans of brake clean (as long as they are not on sale, otherwise the discount code will not apply). If they have the stuff in stock you can pick it up same day. Advance is hard to beat with the great discount codes that are offered, and if it's in stock the parts are in your hands same day.

If you have a week to wait for shipping, RA is great. Sometimes ebay sellers and Amazon will have unbeatable prices too on good parts. Shop around, it's all worth checking out when you're on a tight budget.

This is how I do things. Hope this helps.
Old 01-24-2016, 11:13 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Car: '86 Iroc Z & '91 RS
Engine: 305 TPI & 305 Qjet - Future LC9
Axle/Gears: 3.23

Popping sound on mine is the upper passangers side strut mount.. while standing there watching as someone else in the car turned the wheel, listening and looking for slop.. I found that, When the rubber changes direction in that one, it pops... Did this with new and old bushings..

+2 on the above post
Old 01-24-2016, 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by vinny R
TY is right, its the cost of the labor that will get you even if they warranty the parts. If your idler arm is lose as you posted replace it with a good one. Check the ball joints and if one is bad then replace both. I would not replace parts that don't need replacing with inferior parts. The old saying holds true here...If It Ain't Broke Don't Fix It.

I forgot to mention, I added a wonderbar from TDS. That made a world of difference in not just the "popping" sound but the overall "creeking noises that come from the front end. $75 well spent on this item.
Okay, you're right. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Good point. I really need to see where the source of the problem actually is.

Originally Posted by 88RS
Before you go blindly replacing parts that you "think" are bad, you need to check this stuff properly. To inspect the ball joints and steering components, you need to jack the car up and support it on jack stands from the front control arms. Just jacking the car up off the k member or subframe places these parts under tension from the springs, and you won't be able to detect play in the components.

Grab a front wheel at the 12 and 6 o'clock positions and push/pull the tire to check play in the lower ball joint. If you feel play, verify it by having someone else do the same while you grab the ball joint. If it isn't in the bj, check the strut. Do the same at the 9 and 3 o'clock positions to check the steering components with the steering column locked. Take a look at the front brakes too. I have had some strange noises come from there I wouldn't have originally guessed to have been brake related in the past.

For these cars it's Moog, AC Delco, or bust on anything with a ball joint. I wouldn't waste my time with anything else. Just because part stores have a lifetime warranty on their house brand no-name stuff doesn't mean it's good. It just means they'll give you another part. Look at the customer service and return policy for that ebay kit you posted. That should be a clear indication that what they are selling is junk.

For buying parts, I start by going to www.rockauto.com

They always have a 5% off discount code:

http://www.retailmenot.com/view/rockauto.com

Copy and paste this in the "how did you hear about us" box and keep an eye on the shipping charges. I have a cart full of Moog stuff right now and it's all coming out of the same warehouse so we're off to a good start.

Then, go to http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/home

Navigating their site in general just sucks. Put in your car's make and model, select your store and use the Moog part number you get on Rock Auto's site and it should bring them up. Put it in your cart even though it is way more money than RA. If it isn't showing up in your store's inventory, you will have to pick another nearby store who has it or else sometimes you can get the store to order the parts in for you so you can use the discount code the next day when the part is in their inventory, but most stores will give you a hard time about it.

Then go to http://www.retailmenot.com/view/advanceautoparts.com and grab the discount code that will save you the most money. Sometimes, I throw cans of brake clean in my cart to hit the $20 off $50 purchase because it makes it even cheaper than just using a 20% off my $41 order and I'm getting free cans of brake clean (as long as they are not on sale, otherwise the discount code will not apply). If they have the stuff in stock you can pick it up same day. Advance is hard to beat with the great discount codes that are offered, and if it's in stock the parts are in your hands same day.

If you have a week to wait for shipping, RA is great. Sometimes ebay sellers and Amazon will have unbeatable prices too on good parts. Shop around, it's all worth checking out when you're on a tight budget.

This is how I do things. Hope this helps.
You know what...I HONESTLY never considered RockAuto. I actually added up everything if I was going to do the complete steering components and it ended up being LESS than the ebay kit. I was comparing simply the brand MAS that an ebay seller had as a brand and also what Rockauto had as a brand. In my experience between Autozone, Oreily, AdvancedAuto is that their stuff is sometimes a little more expensive than online. I've used their coupons before with success but not always.

But on the brand aspect, I'm actually starting to consider something different. MOOG seems like a very good brand but I'm also considering Mevotech.

Originally Posted by Camaro86IrocZ
Popping sound on mine is the upper passangers side strut mount.. while standing there watching as someone else in the car turned the wheel, listening and looking for slop.. I found that, When the rubber changes direction in that one, it pops... Did this with new and old bushings..

+2 on the above post
Later today I'm going to start monkey'ing around more with the steering/suspension to really see what the popping noise is. When I hear it in the car, it sounds like it's coming from the passenger floor board more than the fire wall area. That's why i'm suspecting it being the lower ball joint. But I will need to be more aggressive in how I have the car on jack stands when I'm pulling and tugging on the wheels to see any end-play popping noises.

Camaro86irocz, when you are talking about the new and old bushings popping, are you referring to lower control arm bushings? I thought the strut mounts have a bearing in them and not a bushing. What do you mean exactly?
Old 01-24-2016, 10:45 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Car: '86 Iroc Z & '91 RS
Engine: 305 TPI & 305 Qjet - Future LC9
Axle/Gears: 3.23

"But I will need to be more aggressive in how I have the car on jack stands when I'm pulling and tugging on the wheels to see any end-play popping noises."

I find it makes the noise more realistically with the full weight on the ground, car running, someone turning the wheel back and forth, while I carefully crawl around the car watching everything move..

"Camaro86irocz, when you are talking about the new and old bushings popping, are you referring to lower control arm bushings? I thought the strut mounts have a bearing in them and not a bushing. What do you mean exactly?"

On mine, the upper stock style strut mount does have the bearing, but you'll notice with the dust cover off, it also has rubber between it and the mount, when the wheel turns from left to right, the angle of the strut changes and the rubber flexes in the mount to compensate, making it go, POP..
Old 01-25-2016, 12:48 AM

Originally Posted by Camaro86IrocZ
"But I will need to be more aggressive in how I have the car on jack stands when I'm pulling and tugging on the wheels to see any end-play popping noises."

I find it makes the noise more realistically with the full weight on the ground, car running, someone turning the wheel back and forth, while I carefully crawl around the car watching everything move..

"Camaro86irocz, when you are talking about the new and old bushings popping, are you referring to lower control arm bushings? I thought the strut mounts have a bearing in them and not a bushing. What do you mean exactly?"

On mine, the upper stock style strut mount does have the bearing, but you'll notice with the dust cover off, it also has rubber between it and the mount, when the wheel turns from left to right, the angle of the strut changes and the rubber flexes in the mount to compensate, making it go, POP..
Ohh..I see what you mean. I just came in after further investigating the looseness. So I jacked up the passenger A-arm and low and behold it clunks! I can grab the strut and push-pull on it with the same effect. It changes tho when I turn the steering knuckle to one side.

I cannot tell if it's the lower ball joint or the POS strut.
Basically when I'm pushing and tugging on the 12-oclock position it clunks. I disconnected the tie rod just to rule out anything steering since I already know my idler arm is bad. The ball joint in the tie rod isn't super tight, but it seems OK with a little bit of resistance (same with the inner tie rod). I'm wondering if that means it's on it's way out and doesn't have long to live.
Old 01-25-2016, 07:45 AM
Supreme Member

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Car: 88 IROC
Engine: 97 5.7 Vortec LT4 hotcam
Transmission: 700 r4
Axle/Gears: 3.73

Does it really matter? You will have it all apart, and Im sure it all needs it. Replace the ball joints, struts, and strut mounts and be done with that part. Shoot I would even replace the A-arm bushings, then you should be good for several years without needing to touch any of that again. No reason to only replace one thing, just to replace the other next year and have to have another alignment done. Don't let it cost you more in the long run just to save another $100 now.

Moog Strut mounts were $50 each IIRC, KYB struts another $40, Moog ball joints $14, and the bushings were about $20 total. That's $228ish and you shouldn't have to unbolt those spindles again for several years.
Old 01-25-2016, 09:09 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 2002 Camaro SS
Engine: Built LS
Transmission: T56

I'm with 3rdgenmaro on this. If you are going to be taking it apart to replace wear items, you should just replace them all and have one alignment done at the end.
Old 01-25-2016, 10:14 AM
Supreme Member

Received 83 Likes on 67 Posts
Car: 1989 Pontiac Formula 350
Engine: L98
Axle/Gears: BorgWarner 3.27 Posi

I redid my whole front suspension and it was still kinda noisey, etc. It wasn't until I swapped calipers/brake lines that most of my noise went away on the front end. Guess they were stickin!
Old 01-25-2016, 03:44 PM

Yeah, just replace everything without tracking down the actual culprit. That's a good way to go. I get replacing the wear items while you're in there, but I've seen guys with S10 pickups replace everything in the their front steering and suspension chasing a clunk that doesn't go away because the noise was coming from their hood hinge all along.
Old 01-26-2016, 12:46 AM

After taking apart more components today, I found that the sway bar links were not all that tight. The bushings I'm GUESSING are polyurethane? I can't tell--but its VERY hard plastics and they're all cracked/deformed which is why they weren't that tight. I believe the stock sway bar links are supposed to be made out of rubber. Anyways, see picture below. I broke one side (typical) and was lucky enough to get the other long bolt off. I think I'll just get the rubber stuff and not polyurethane.

Originally Posted by 3rdgenmaro
Does it really matter? You will have it all apart, and Im sure it all needs it. Replace the ball joints, struts, and strut mounts and be done with that part. Shoot I would even replace the A-arm bushings, then you should be good for several years without needing to touch any of that again. No reason to only replace one thing, just to replace the other next year and have to have another alignment done. Don't let it cost you more in the long run just to save another $100 now.

Moog Strut mounts were $50 each IIRC, KYB struts another $40, Moog ball joints $14, and the bushings were about $20 total. That's $228ish and you shouldn't have to unbolt those spindles again for several years.
I'm planning on doing the rear shocks as well plus idler arm. The control arm bushings are something I haven't considered yet. I will have to look into those. It's just a matter of carefully lowering the A-arm without the spring flinging out.

Originally Posted by thtanner
I redid my whole front suspension and it was still kinda noisey, etc. It wasn't until I swapped calipers/brake lines that most of my noise went away on the front end. Guess they were stickin!
That reminds me! I should do my rubber brake lines. One wheel grabs first when I hit the brakes sorta hard and is very annoying.

Yeah, just replace everything without tracking down the actual culprit. That's a good way to go. I get replacing the wear items while you're in there, but I've seen guys with S10 pickups replace everything in the their front steering and suspension chasing a clunk that doesn't go away because the noise was coming from their hood hinge all along.
I've worked in a few shops quite a while ago, and I was always taught to figure out where the failed part is. It's the principle of finding what's broke to know for sure that it's fixed, and fixed right when replacing parts. I'm not going to replace something for the sake of it--unless it needs it. Sure, if something is questionable then I'll simply replace it granted it isn't outrageously expensive.
Attached Thumbnails Front Suspension/Steering Replacemnt (and rear shocks)-20160125_160412.jpg   Front Suspension/Steering Replacemnt (and rear shocks)-20160125_165956.jpg  
Old 01-27-2016, 06:25 AM
Supreme Member

Replacing everything blind chasing is one thing, replacing a component that could use it while you are there is something else. I.E. the control arm bushings. Probably could go without replacing them (unless for some reason that is your noise), but if you are replacing ball joints, the bushings are 2 bolts away and $15 per side. ( I was wrong on price earlier) Bushings are wear items. If they are still original, it would take a lot for anyone to justify to me not replacing them.

Jack up the front and put a jack stand under the A-Arm. Have a buddy take a crow bar or a 2x4 and put it under the tire moving up and down. You should be able to see then if it is the ball joint flexing or the strut mount. And with the sway bar disconnected now, you might be able to rule it out or point your clunk to it.

I may have missed it in the above posts, but does your idler arm have noticeable play?
Old 01-27-2016, 05:03 PM

I would go with polyurethane energy suspension end links. I have had them on my fox for about 10 years now and they are holding up fine. I actually just bought a set for my 88 Camaro to replace whatever the split ones are that are on it and have the box sitting right here, pn 9.8117g fwiw...

The p.o. replaced the rear end links, they are like new with Ramcoa bushings. Those bushing are rock hard. I have the axle out of the car so energy ones are replacing those too. I think the wonder bar would be a great addition, just don't buy a Spohn one as they have fitment issues. I put a stock IROC wonderbar on our 91 Z28 without touching anything else and couldn't believe how much better the front end of the car felt. This same car had a lot of front brake noise coming from the front right wheel. I fixed it, and it was easy stuff. Can't remember all of what I did, was probably 6 years ago now.

A friend of mine had a 91 Formula that pulled like nothing I had ever seen because of a bad front flex hose.
Old 01-29-2016, 03:36 PM

Replacing everything blind chasing is one thing, replacing a component that could use it while you are there is something else. I.E. the control arm bushings. Probably could go without replacing them (unless for some reason that is your noise), but if you are replacing ball joints, the bushings are 2 bolts away and $15 per side. ( I was wrong on price earlier) Bushings are wear items. If they are still original, it would take a lot for anyone to justify to me not replacing them.

Jack up the front and put a jack stand under the A-Arm. Have a buddy take a crow bar or a 2x4 and put it under the tire moving up and down. You should be able to see then if it is the ball joint flexing or the strut mount. And with the sway bar disconnected now, you might be able to rule it out or point your clunk to it.

I may have missed it in the above posts, but does your idler arm have noticeable play?
Yes, my idler arm clicks quite a bit. I can push up on it and it clunks very easily. I'm already planning on replacing that--most likely with the MOOG part.

As far as the bushings, they seem okay. But I'm starting to lean towards doing them as well. My only concern is the spring flinging out. I remember seeing a youtube video showing a technique that clowny1969 did.

I would go with polyurethane energy suspension end links. I have had them on my fox for about 10 years now and they are holding up fine. I actually just bought a set for my 88 Camaro to replace whatever the split ones are that are on it and have the box sitting right here, pn 9.8117g fwiw...

The p.o. replaced the rear end links, they are like new with Ramcoa bushings. Those bushing are rock hard. I have the axle out of the car so energy ones are replacing those too. I think the wonder bar would be a great addition, just don't buy a Spohn one as they have fitment issues. I put a stock IROC wonderbar on our 91 Z28 without touching anything else and couldn't believe how much better the front end of the car felt. This same car had a lot of front brake noise coming from the front right wheel. I fixed it, and it was easy stuff. Can't remember all of what I did, was probably 6 years ago now.

A friend of mine had a 91 Formula that pulled like nothing I had ever seen because of a bad front flex hose.
I was thinking on going with the polyurethane end links as well. Since the majority of things I'll be buying will be Moog brand, I'm thinking on just sticking with that brand.
Old 01-30-2016, 12:16 PM
Supreme Member

floor jack under the ball joint. Remove caliper, then unbolt the strut. Step out of the way and slowly lower the jack. Ive done several like that with no issues. Can always take a short piece of chain and bolt it to the car and the spring if you are worried.
Old 01-30-2016, 01:13 PM

floor jack under the ball joint. Remove caliper, then unbolt the strut. Step out of the way and slowly lower the jack. Ive done several like that with no issues. Can always take a short piece of chain and bolt it to the car and the spring if you are worried.
Okay...I think I'll be fine doing it that way. Before I begin tho, I want to make sure I can get the two strut bolts loose. They look like metric bolts but I need to get either a 15/16 wrench and socket or 24 mm if I can find one.

Oh btw, after further inspection on the a arm bushings, the rubber looks all cracked on the outside. So I think I want to get some urethane bushings for performance. The best price I found was $45 for the front set at AutoZone. Rock auto doesn't have the energy suspension brand or any urethane bushings that I could find. Maybe I can check out eBay more.
Old 01-30-2016, 08:42 PM

Good news. I got both lower control arms off. The spring on the right side popped out at me a little bit--but it didn't go far. No big deal.

In the first picture, you can see all the cracks in the bushings. Doesn't look too good. Even more so when you look at the second picture because you can tell the roll pin is closer to one side than the other meaning the bushing is no longer in the middle per se.

Just as a cool side note, the third picture I was able to actually clean up the little stickers on the spring. It reads:

BZX

I'm guessing the BZX is an RPO code and the 140.. is the part number. Kind of neat I think.

I'll be ordering replacement parts soon.
Attached Thumbnails Front Suspension/Steering Replacemnt (and rear shocks)-20160130_165747.jpg   Front Suspension/Steering Replacemnt (and rear shocks)-20160130_165738.jpg   Front Suspension/Steering Replacemnt (and rear shocks)-20160130_175853.jpg  
Old 01-31-2016, 10:56 AM
Supreme Member

Good news. I got both lower control arms off. The spring on the right side popped out at me a little bit--but it didn't go far. No big deal.

In the first picture, you can see all the cracks in the bushings. Doesn't look too good. Even more so when you look at the second picture because you can tell the roll pin is closer to one side than the other meaning the bushing is no longer in the middle per se.

Just as a cool side note, the third picture I was able to actually clean up the little stickers on the spring. It reads:

BZX

I'm guessing the BZX is an RPO code and the 140.. is the part number. Kind of neat I think.

I'll be ordering replacement parts soon.
Not sure how big of a hurry you are in. But I've got a set of the energy suspension black bushings for the a arms. I decided to go with rubber. They are on ebay right now but pm me if you might be interested.
Old 01-31-2016, 02:59 PM

Pm sent
Old 02-04-2016, 12:17 AM

This evening my old boss and I were working after hours on the control arm bushings. These things were practically RUSTED in there. We used PB blaster and tried pressing them out as best as we could. So we ended up having to heat up the bushings and cave the bushing housing in on itself to get the metal piece out.

If you look in the second picture you see that the two ears on the control arm are a little bit bent. I think this happened by trying to budge the bushings out as best as we could. We were successful using the press with two of the four bushings. The other two we heated up the bushing itself at then pushed out the rubber. Once out, we used a chisel and hammered it out.

The one side looks the worst. Then the others not so much.

Do the control arm ears look bad at all, or will it be okay putting in a new bushings? Possibly TRY bending it back?..or compromised?
Attached Thumbnails Front Suspension/Steering Replacemnt (and rear shocks)-20160203_174347.jpg   Front Suspension/Steering Replacemnt (and rear shocks)-20160203_174124.jpg   Front Suspension/Steering Replacemnt (and rear shocks)-20160203_174954.jpg   Front Suspension/Steering Replacemnt (and rear shocks)-20160203_174959.jpg   Front Suspension/Steering Replacemnt (and rear shocks)-20160203_174129.jpg  

Old 02-05-2016, 12:03 AM

I wish I saw klowny's video again before hand, but I finally found the post and video I remembered about.

https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/susp...-bushings.html
Old 02-06-2016, 01:26 AM

Here's an update on my control arms. I took two hardened washers and a bolt with two nuts. Then I took them and used them to spread apart the "ears" or "lips" on the lower control arm. This was actually somewhat successful. They now line up. My only concern with the one control arm are the two bushing holes coinciding with each other. I feel like they might bind up on one another. They look close but not so much.

I'll take a better picture tomorrow showing what I mean exactly. But as of now, here's one showing that they're for the most part even now.
Attached Thumbnails Front Suspension/Steering Replacemnt (and rear shocks)-20160205_115936.jpg  
Old 02-06-2016, 07:16 AM

Car: 87' IROC

I'm doing my a arm bushings as well. Amazon has the energy bushings for under 30.00.They also have the moog and fed mogul parts front end parts at good prices!

Last edited by SOCAL-Z; 02-06-2016 at 07:29 AM.
Old 02-06-2016, 07:43 AM
TGO Supporter

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Car: 91 Black Formula KR
Engine: 305 TPI R69/G92
Transmission: Astro A5-Pro 5.0-McCleod
Axle/Gears: US Gear 3.42 Eaton True Trac

I went with the Del a Lum Global West bushings and am very happy with them...

As for sturt mounts I first ordered AC Delco and on 2 different sets, the bearings were not smooth, ordered Moog, no problem... then I went and ordered Founders Caster/Camber plates anyway for more adjustability...
Old 02-06-2016, 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by SOCAL-Z
I'm doing my a arm bushings as well. Amazon has the energy bushings for under 30.00.They also have the moog and fed mogul parts front end parts at good prices!
When I looked on Amazon, I didn't find any better prices than places like ebay or even RockAuto for that matter.

Originally Posted by luvofjah

As for sturt mounts I first ordered AC Delco and on 2 different sets, the bearings were not smooth, ordered Moog, no problem... then I went and ordered Founders Caster/Camber plates anyway for more adjustability...
Ya, I checked my strut mount bearings and they also didn't seem that smooth either but they had no noticeable play in them. But good to know that MOOG is the way to go when I need them.
Old 02-06-2016, 08:02 PM
Supreme Member

Received 212 Likes on 160 Posts
Car: 1989 Trans Am GTA
Engine: LT1, AFR 195cc, 231/239 LE cam.
Transmission: M28 T56
Axle/Gears: 3.23 10bolt waiting to explode.

Originally Posted by luvofjah

I have the del-a-lum bushings, along with the founders strut mounts, and all new parts for the steering. Even after I replaced my steering box which had a huge amount of play, with a much tighter Lee 670 box all it did was reveal the slop everywhere else in the front end.

Even thought the center link doesn't wear, the bolts didn't look easy to get off on my old one so I just ordered the Spohn extreme duty kit and will replace everything from tie-rod to steering box. Incluided in that are poly sway bar bushings and new poly end-links since my existing ones look worn.

The goal is to get as close to the precision found in my Focus ST steering rack where just a degree of steering wheel movement results in action at the wheels.

Last edited by Thirdgen89GTA; 02-06-2016 at 08:06 PM.
Old 02-06-2016, 08:07 PM

I was real impressed with the painting from taking a wirewheel and sanding everything down. Cleaned up alot of suspension parts including the A-Arms. One can of $.98 gloss black spray paint works WONDERS.

Okay..so what I'm trying to describe in my pictures are the lips on the lower control arm. When comparing the two, you see that one lip is bent a little bit more. From the looks of this, it doesn't look like it lines up necessarily to the other side of the bushing holes on the same control arm. I feel like this will make the bushings work against each other since they won't align up. Knowing that they're off a little bit, will this make both bushings work harder and possibly wear out not coinciding with each other perfectly?

I'm not a suspension expert, but I'd think the two bushings need to line up and coincide with the axis of movement. What do you guys think? Hopefully you can see from my pictures. Is it that big of a deal being off like 1/8th inch?
Attached Thumbnails Front Suspension/Steering Replacemnt (and rear shocks)-20160206_164417.jpg   Front Suspension/Steering Replacemnt (and rear shocks)-20160206_165559.jpg  
Old 02-06-2016, 08:08 PM
Supreme Member

I was real impressed with the painting from taking a wirewheel and sanding everything down. Cleaned up alot of suspension parts including the A-Arms. One can of $.98 gloss black spray paint works WONDERS.

Okay..so what I'm trying to describe in my pictures are the lips on the lower control arm. When comparing the two, you see that one lip is bent a little bit more. From the looks of this, it doesn't look like it lines up necessarily to the other side of the bushing holes on the same control arm. I feel like this will make the bushings work against each other since they won't align up. Knowing that they're off a little bit, will this make both bushings work harder and possibly wear out not coinciding with each other perfectly?

I'm not a suspension expert, but I'd think the two bushings need to line up and coincide with the axis of movement. What do you guys think? Hopefully you can see from my pictures. Is it that big of a deal being off like 1/8th inch?
Check out this video, it has some tips on how to get new bushings in easily, even without a press.

Old 02-06-2016, 09:33 PM
Supreme Member

Mine flexed alittle when I done mine. Pretty much unavoidable to an extent. I wouldn't worry about it and I didnt. If it even made a slight bind I bet 99.9% of people on this forum couldn't tell it.
Old 02-06-2016, 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by Thirdgen89GTA
Check out this video, it has some tips on how to get new bushings in easily, even without a press.

How to install Del-a-lum bushings from Global West in a lower A-arm Part2 - YouTube
Nice video. I need to remember to add a piece of metal in between the ears to make sure they don't collapse or bend when pushing in the new bushing.

Mine flexed alittle when I done mine. Pretty much unavoidable to an extent. I wouldn't worry about it and I didnt. If it even made a slight bind I bet 99.9% of people on this forum couldn't tell it.
Okay cool! I'm glad you answered this. I wanna say that this driver side lower control arm was made on a Friday while the passenger side was made on a Thursday. But that's okay I guess.

I might try monkey'ing around with it more to get it more straight. If I can't do anything else then good, I won't worry about it.
Old 02-07-2016, 12:31 PM
Supreme Member

Nice video. I need to remember to add a piece of metal in between the ears to make sure they don't collapse or bend when pushing in the new bushing.

Okay cool! I'm glad you answered this. I wanna say that this driver side lower control arm was made on a Friday while the passenger side was made on a Thursday. But that's okay I guess.

I might try monkey'ing around with it more to get it more straight. If I can't do anything else then good, I won't worry about it.
When you buy the Del-A-Lum bushings it comes with the little angle iron piece. Its 42mm tall, and 50mm on each side. So the distance between the A-arm ears should be about 42mm.
Old 02-08-2016, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by Thirdgen89GTA
When you buy the Del-A-Lum bushings it comes with the little angle iron piece. Its 42mm tall, and 50mm on each side. So the distance between the A-arm ears should be about 42mm.
That's good information to have about the distance between one of the A-arm ears...but what about the other one? The two ears are two difference sizes.
Old 02-13-2016, 10:22 PM

In the first picture is my idler arm in a vice. I actually was able to spin it all around and it seemed to be loosening. That's when I noticed that, Hey! This thing isn't a bearing? Anyone else ever stumble upon this style of idler arm? I'm guessing you grease the thing periodically since the grease pushes out by like a cork-screw effect. Very strange and seems sloppy.

At any rate, my parts finally came in from RA!!! Also, shout-out to 3rdgenmaro. I also was able to wire-wheel my LCA and paint them as well as the springs and sway bar. Now I just need to put in the bushings.

BTW...I like how the MOOG parts and energy suspension parts I got are all made in USA. Seems very fitting for my Van Nuys built Camaro. :usa:
Attached Thumbnails Front Suspension/Steering Replacemnt (and rear shocks)-20160213_142029.jpg   Front Suspension/Steering Replacemnt (and rear shocks)-20160213_124933.jpg  
Old 02-13-2016, 10:38 PM

So when I got my bushings, all the dowels and rubbers were pushed in. In case anybody EVER runs into this, OR needs to re-grease their already installed bushings, these actually come out VERY easily with a simple puller that won't damage anything too.

In the next picture you'll see me greasing the dowels AND the outer part of the bushing...wherever the rubber touches metal. The type of grease that's supplied is a silicon base. I can also tell this grease is probably PTFE impregnated. Not much different than the silicon base dielectric grease. The stuff is VERY sticky and you can't really wash it off--moreso you have to wipe it off.
Attached Thumbnails Front Suspension/Steering Replacemnt (and rear shocks)-20160213_144851.jpg   Front Suspension/Steering Replacemnt (and rear shocks)-20160213_194550.jpg  
Old 02-15-2016, 08:23 AM
Supreme Member

Glad they worked for ya. Did you figure out what the other bushings are for?
Old 02-16-2016, 12:38 AM

Glad they worked for ya. Did you figure out what the other bushings are for?
Yes, I believe they are the rear control arms and the panhard bushings as well. I'm real glad you included the instructions with pre lube too. I'll do the rear bushings once I take care of the front.
Old 02-16-2016, 01:52 PM

I finally got the bushings and balljoint installed in my LCA. It was quite a task. All but one bushing went in relatively easy. I ended up having to use sand paper around the contact holes and smooth out the bores as much as I could. The actual hardest part was getting in the ball joints! I had to first initially pound the joint in with a hammer and try and line it up. The knurling on the OD BJ seemed quite a bit larger than the ID of the LCA. When we had it chocked up in the press it seemed to want to flex the entire LCA and BARELY go in.

One thing I ended up having to do is grind down the bevel on the BJ and make more of a chamfer because the edge was hanging up on the LCA and not aligning correctly. You can see in the second picture but it is covered with a little bit of grease. Something to keep in mind if anyone has trouble with this.

I'm almost ready to install everything back in!
Attached Thumbnails Front Suspension/Steering Replacemnt (and rear shocks)-20160215_155244.jpg   Front Suspension/Steering Replacemnt (and rear shocks)-20160215_155250.jpg  
Old 02-21-2016, 05:07 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 89 IROC
Engine: l98 350 TPI
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 373s

Nice work, very glad I read your post. I'm about to get into my front end. Ball joint is bad, lots of bad bushings. Good time for a linkage refreshment. Time to replace it all. Could you provide the p/n for the bushings and parts that you are using (maybe a pic of invoice would work)? It would be a great help and much appreciated. And how does the quality of it all seem to you? Again on all that, hope it takes care of your noises.
Old 02-22-2016, 12:28 AM

Originally Posted by fokeyman
Nice work, very glad I read your post. I'm about to get into my front end. Ball joint is bad, lots of bad bushings. Good time for a linkage refreshment. Time to replace it all. Could you provide the p/n for the bushings and parts that you are using (maybe a pic of invoice would work)? It would be a great help and much appreciated. And how does the quality of it all seem to you? Again on all that, hope it takes care of your noises.
I think I threw out the invoice. But I can scrounge up something.

So far it's been these:
2 MOOG ball joints: P/N K6145T
1 MOOG idler arm: P/N K6249
2 MOOG Sway Bar End Links: P/N K700532

2 KYB front struts: P/N 236001
2 KYB rear shocks: P/N 343211

Energy Suspension Front LCA bushings: P/N 3.3157

The ball joints I got seemed to fit rather tightly as the knurling I think made it difficult to line up. The idler arm I got seems very good and is different than the screw type idler arm that was originally on the car. I just need to remember to grease it once I'm done with everything. The sway bar end links seem like they're very hard polyurethane plastic material instead of the squishy rubber stuff...interesting. Other than all that, I got the LCAs installed in the car. Passenger side LCA was probably the most difficult. During installing the LCAs, putting them in the K-member shaved off a little rubber on the bushings because of the sharp edges. I tried filing them down to make re-installation easier. Now all I need to do is get the springs back in the car. This has proven to be the most tricky part for me right now. I'm trying to use a breaker bar but I think I'm missing a technique. I read a post on TGO somewhere with a good tip on installing front springs. This will be my goal for tomorrow.
Old 02-22-2016, 03:14 AM

Thanks, that's a good start. I found a thread. Aw boom boom, I can't paste it. I'll have to post it after I get home. Or just type in search "front spring install ", it's the first one. Does require a compression tool. Could rent one, his post shows ez hook placement for an ez install.
Old 02-23-2016, 08:18 PM

I got both springs in! It was just easier to get a spring compressor rather than fighting with a crowbar and the LCA.

On my first picture I used the "OEM Coil Spring Compressor." P/N 27035. This tool was rented from AZ for an easy fee of $55--and I have 90 days to return it.

So...some notes about this spring compressor. It is a grenade filled with nitroglycerin! Meaning, any sudden movement or impact force on the thing, and it will explode. Luckily this only happened to me...twice. Once in the pocket as I was trying to index the coil, and the other on the ground. This spring compressor I guess is a "universal" one and pretty much barely gets the job done for these springs. I would rate the tool a 3.5/5 stars.

This does take a certain technique and proper compressor tool placement on the spring coils. What I found worked was placing the tool on a bias side of the coil, more-so this would put a little bit more tension on the "keyed spring" side of the coil to help fit within the grooves of the LCA (in between the two holes on the LCA--important). You also have to grab the tangs and grab as much spring as you can to compress it as a whole. Once the top of the spring is in it's pocket and indexed correctly on the lower, I then had to get a jack on the LCA with it almost extended to release the tool. Then jacked up the LCA all the way home free until the balljoint can find the steering knuckle.

MAKE SURE TO WEAR PROTECTIVE GLASSES AND GLOVES. This tool with its sporadic nature can cause injury and will kill you. I would almost suggest wearing a helmet...
Treat the ends of the coil as an end of a SG barrel. So don't stick hands or heaven forbid your face anywhere close to them when the compressor tool is "loaded."

Tomorrow I'll hopefully have the other strut in. Then I can put the dust cover on the lower BJ and start greasing once all the steering linkages are hooked up.
Attached Thumbnails Front Suspension/Steering Replacemnt (and rear shocks)-20160222_122959.jpg   Front Suspension/Steering Replacemnt (and rear shocks)-20160222_123543.jpg   Front Suspension/Steering Replacemnt (and rear shocks)-20160222_123003.jpg  
Old 02-23-2016, 08:48 PM

Found it, phone and pc searches different. Anyways, looks like you have placement down for the tool, this article shows good placement on the spring too. https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/susp...y-install.html Now that you're half way there lol.

Quick Reply: Front Suspension/Steering Replacemnt (and rear shocks)