Search

Go Back   Third Generation F-Body Message Boards > Tech Boards > TBI
Register Forgot Password?

TBI Throttle Body Injection discussion and questions. L03/CFI tech and other performance enhancements.

Welcome to ThirdGen.org!
Welcome to ThirdGen.org.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join the ThirdGen.org community today!

Old 01-09-2004, 08:59 AM   #1

Classifieds Rating: (0)

Send a message via AIM to TP355Z
TBI TO CARB - wiring fuel pump?

I'm in the middle of a carb swap and need to know how to deal with my fuel pump. Does it have to be hot-wired with the TBI/EGR/distributor systems removed? Where does the computer get the signal to run the pump after the initial 2-3 second run when u turn the key (before the car turns over)? Help me out guys, I'm stumped.

Ty
TP355Z is offline vBGarage Page   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2004, 09:06 AM   #2

Why do you guys insist on removing all of the wiring? Blows my mind. Once you start tearing out crap, you remove any kind of "common ground" with the folks around here and have a helluva mess. Leave the wiring in place. Hook up carb. Install regulator. Reduce pressure to 5-7 psi. Done deal.

S.
scauffiel is offline vBGarage Page   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2004, 11:54 AM   #3

hold on buddy, i haven't removed any of the wiring. I just removed the tbi/distributor/egr (the hardware - the wiring is still there, the whole harness is still in tact) - but I figured that the computer got the signal to run the pump from the distributor spinning or something. How does it work?
Old 01-09-2004, 12:02 PM   #4

Car: 88 Camaro SC
Engine: SFI'd 350
Transmission: TKO 500
Axle/Gears: 9-bolt w/ 2.77's

Classifieds Rating: (2)

Send a message via AIM to dimented24x7
The computer gets its signal that the engine is cranking/running from the dist. reference pulse. When it sees the pulses, the computer triggers the fuel pump relay. The pump will still operate the way it is. There is a backup switch above the oil filter that closes at, i think, 4 psi. The stock oil pump will have to turn a bit to build oil pressure before the car starts but its not too big of a deal. If the motor has a high pressure/high volume pump it will close almost immidiatly. My goodwrech builds around 35 psi when cranking and it would close the switch as soon as the engine cranked.
dimented24x7 is offline vBGarage Page   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2004, 12:19 PM   #5

hey demented - (i think you're my new best friend)

so what you're saying is that the sensor above the oil filter (which i thought was an oil-dummy-light-sensor) is actually for the fuel pump?

As long as I leave that switch hooked up, my fuel pump needs no tweaking then right? (i have a high pressure oil pump too...)

Ty
Old 01-09-2004, 12:22 PM   #6

Classifieds Rating: (1)

NEVER EVER hotwire the fuel pump to the ignition switch.

If you have an accident and the fuel lines are torn there is nothing to stop the pump. You could have a roaring inferno in short order.

Like was mentioned, use the factory oil pressure switch to run the pump.
Brent is offline vBGarage Page   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2004, 12:23 PM   #7

Car: 91 Camaro Vert
Engine: 02 LS1, HX40
Transmission: 2002 LS1 M6

Quote:
Originally posted by Brent
NEVER EVER hotwire the fuel pump to the ignition switch.

If you have an accident and the fuel lines are torn there is nothing to stop the pump. You could have a roaring inferno in short order.

Like was mentioned, use the factory oil pressure switch to run the pump.

you can.

just use a rollover switch like fords have.
MrDude_1 is offline vBGarage Page   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2004, 12:28 PM   #8

Car: '89 Formula, '97 Z28, '88 Formula 350
Engine: 305 TBI(LO3)
Transmission: TH700R4(MD8)

That switch is the oil pressure/fuel shut-off sensor. It does also work your oil pressure guage in the dash. 4psi is also correct.
Moroso Air Filter, 4-Wire Heated O2 sensor, MSD GM Blaster Coil, Holley Blue Fuel Pump with Moroso Upgraded Spring, LT1 cam, BBK Underdrive Pulleys, Energy Suspension Tranny Mount, B&M Downshift Kit, B&M Transpak, B&M Drain Plug Kit, B&M Trick Shift fluid, Moroso 20lb radiator cap, Milodon 160* thermostat, Edelbrock Victor Water Pump,
Earl's Hyperfirm Stainless Brake lines,
Summit 1900 Stall Converter,
B&M Flexplate, AC Rapid Fire plugs,
Flowmaster Cat-Back Exhaust, Jet Fan Switch, 40-Below Water Weter,
Ultimate TBI mods, Tuning by TBIChips.com, Spoon Performance sway bar set, Removed EGR,
Removed Cat. Conv., Removed Smog Pump
chevypower is offline vBGarage Page   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2004, 12:58 PM   #9

so bottom line: as long as that sending unit above the oil filter on my 1988 tbi car is hooked up, my fuel pump will run, right?

Thanks fellas

ty
Old 01-09-2004, 12:58 PM
ThirdGen
1992 Camaro

Paid Advertisement

Go Back   Third Generation F-Body Message Boards > Tech Boards > TBI

Tags
carb, carburetor, conversion, fuel, gen, gmc, hook, lines, pump, regulator, relay, shuts, swap, tbi, wiring