Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

new carb and ignition goes on my brand new L69 tommorow morning,

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2001, 07:30 PM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1999 Chevy Cavalier
Engine: 2.2
Transmission: 5 speed
Axle/Gears: it's part of the transmission
new carb and ignition goes on my brand new L69 tommorow morning,

my car has a remanufactured L69 longblock and the same old ECM,HEI distributer,and Q-jet. tomorrow it will have a holly double pumper 650 cfm,vac. secondary. Mallory distributer,vac. advance,Mallory Hyfire III module,Accel super coil and 8.8 wires,new AC delco plugs,and new EGR valve.

where's the wire for the TCC,where should I draw the 12V from?(I'm getting a new 700r4 with a non-lockup TCC soon,this one can't get much worse)

what should I use for the carb mount gasket and EGR gasket...?

the stock fuel line will hook up to the holly and it does have an internal brass filter,should I use an external filter? it would be so easy to just use the stock metal line,is this too much of a risk to take?

I guess that's all,I'm sure I'll learn my lesson tomorrow when my car isn't done in time for friday evening.I will spend some time tonight reading and re-reading the instructions for all of my new toys. I've never done this before,but I'm feeling agressivly mechanical today.I have from 9a-7p at Scott center annex,Auto hobby shop

thanks for responding,I will follow up on this asap.
Old 04-13-2001, 12:02 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1989 IROC-1
Engine: L98
Transmission: 700r4
For the carb, definately use an external filter. I went to Pep Boys and picked up filter, fuel line (rubber), hose clamps and fitting for the mechanical fuel pump for well under $20.00. There's no reason not to use a rubber fuel line. Just use a zip tie to fasten the fuel line away from the exhaust. It's a simple and easy solution.
Old 04-13-2001, 12:20 PM

Car: 2002 SOM z28
Engine: LS1
Transmission: T-56
Dude... you're in for a fun ride! I would suggest you read a few of my old posts about when I did this a few months ago. If it is a Holley (double pumper or vac secondary?), you will need a Y-block. The nice shinny chrome fuel line that came with mine not only hit the EGR valve, but the inlet was right behind the heater hose!

You'll need a throttle cable bracket (like 20-94 or something), an in-line filter, and about 50 misc. fittings and little things that you need to send away to Jegs for!

I'm not trying to discourage you from doing this... just be prepared to spend more time/$$$ then you thought.

------------------
1984 z28 w/ a 357 cu in. monster engine which is looking like the posterchild for Edelbrock with the exception of the Holley 750vac... all the suspension stuff... 9-bolt posi disk is in...

-=ICON Motorsports=-