Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

New EGR Valve issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2012, 09:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New EGR Valve issues

Hey Guys, I just bought a mint condition 84 camaro Berlinetta with a 305 4BBL carb and I am slowing updating sensors and emissions etc. I just replaced the EGR valve with a new one I bought from autozone. Its a neg pressure EGR and when I test drove it the car now stumbles an hesitates upon acceleration. I know they have positive pressure and neg pressure EGR's and I am wondering if I should switch out the EGR again for a pos one? Autozone seems to only offer one kind of EGR for my car and its neg. I have disconnected the EGR and car runs fine now. Hoping someone can shed some light on my situation. Thanks!
Old 05-12-2012, 09:36 PM
Banned

Car: 89 Formula
Engine: 305 T.B.I.
Transmission: 5 Speed Manual
Re: New EGR Valve issues

Originally Posted by richsteve
Hey Guys, I just bought a mint condition 84 camaro Berlinetta with a 305 4BBL carb and I am slowing updating sensors and emissions etc. I just replaced the EGR valve with a new one I bought from autozone. Its a neg pressure EGR and when I test drove it the car now stumbles an hesitates upon acceleration. I know they have positive pressure and neg pressure EGR's and I am wondering if I should switch out the EGR again for a pos one? Autozone seems to only offer one kind of EGR for my car and its neg. I have disconnected the EGR and car runs fine now. Hoping someone can shed some light on my situation. Thanks!
There's always the possibility that you got a bad new EGR(it happens). Did your new EGR come with a number of different sized washers to match the original hole size in the base of the factory EGR. It is imperative that you match the hole size on these washers for proper pressure operation. Did the other EGR function properly?
Old 05-12-2012, 11:18 PM

The new EGR valve came with one new gasket but the old EGR had two gaskets because it has a metal spacer between the EGR and the manifold. So the original set up was a manifold gasket + spacer + EGR gasket. I reused the old manifold gasket for bottom of the spacer and used the new gasket to go between the spacer and the EGR. Old and new gaskets were identical. Should I opt for all new gaskets? As far as i Know the old EGR worked fine but I just bought the car and did not get an emissions test. I threw out the old EGR so its gone ugh. Thanks so much for the help!

Last edited by richsteve; 05-12-2012 at 11:22 PM.
Old 05-13-2012, 12:24 AM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 86 IROC
Engine: 5.0 TPI
Transmission: 700-R-4
Axle/Gears: 2.73 open

Originally Posted by spdhawk77
There's always the possibility that you got a bad new EGR(it happens). Did your new EGR come with a number of different sized washers to match the original hole size in the base of the factory EGR. It is imperative that you match the hole size on these washers for proper pressure operation. Did the other EGR function properly?
dont be folling with the EGR valve that you have to mod to use.to me that is a failure in itself. i bought a exact fit one from oreilleys.no stupid washer bradding for me!
Old 05-13-2012, 11:16 AM
Banned

The new EGR valve came with one new gasket but the old EGR had two gaskets because it has a metal spacer between the EGR and the manifold. So the original set up was a manifold gasket + spacer + EGR gasket. I reused the old manifold gasket for bottom of the spacer and used the new gasket to go between the spacer and the EGR. Old and new gaskets were identical. Should I opt for all new gaskets? As far as i Know the old EGR worked fine but I just bought the car and did not get an emissions test. I threw out the old EGR so its gone ugh. Thanks so much for the help!
I've never seen a spacer between them, not sure if the new EGR will work properly with that spacer. May have too much spacing for the new egr, you may want to try it without the spacer. There's always the EGR solenoid to check as well, have you replaced it also?
Old 05-13-2012, 11:27 AM
Banned

I have been through the updating process myself and I can tell you that once you start pulling sensors off that worked fine before, it can be pain to get things back running right with the new ones. I ran into several issues while doing mine and the best advice I have is replace all you vacuums and clean all electrical connections with elec cleaner, and always disconnect the battery while installing new sensors in case the ECM/ECU needs to set different parameters for the new equipment.
Old 05-13-2012, 01:10 PM

Great advise everyone. I have not replaced the solenoid but suspect its okay since I didnt have this issue with the old EGR. I remember changing the EGR out on my old camaro berlinetta back in the late 90s and it had a metal spacer too. Didnt have any issues when I changed out that one so I will have to do some more investigating. May try disconnecting the battery as well to reset the ECM. Thanks again!