Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Power Steering pump lessons

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2015, 02:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1985 Trans Am
Engine: LG4
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.08
Power Steering pump lessons

I just finished replacing the pump on my '85 Trans Am. The original was still in there and the shaft seal finally died of old age. I bought a re-manufactured at Auto Zone with the reservoir. When installing the pump, there was a cap on the return tube. After removing that, I found the tube was still blocked with something inside. I drilled a hole in it and used a screw to pull it out. It was a plastic plug! Now why would you need to put a plug and a cap on the return tube? If I hadn't noticed it, I would have had all sorts of problems with fluid not getting back to the pump. So for any of you out there replacing something like this, check all the orifices before you install.
Old 04-21-2015, 10:43 AM

Car: 84 Camaro 2.8L, 85 T/A 305 LG4
Re: Power Steering pump lessons

I am getting ready to replace the pump on the same car (85 LG4). How was the job and how long did it take you? Any other tips for removal or install to share? Did you reuse the existing lines or replace?
Old 04-21-2015, 11:05 AM

The job took me a couple of days. The car isn't a daily driver so I was in no great hurry. First day was pump removal. I loosened the a/c belt and the the power steering belt. I couldn't remove them because they are trapped. I placed a pan under the pump and disconnected the pressure line. I had replaced this hose just the week before, thinking it was the leaky item. The return hose had the factory crimped clamps holding it on. I cut the one at the steering box with a hacksaw blade. Now that the hoses were free, I was able to remove the pump. There are two bolts and two nuts; one of each are above the water pump. The other two are under the a/c compressor. It was easiest for me to drop the pump out the bottom. The car was up on jackstands and there was more room underneath. I didn't replace the return hose as it seemed to be in great condition. The pulley removal tool from the auto parts dealer was invaluable, and I was able to rent it. It's one of those tools not often used and hardly worth purchasing in my opinion.
Old 04-22-2015, 08:09 AM

Car: 84 Camaro 2.8L, 85 T/A 305 LG4

Thanks man, that should help. My car is my daily, but I do have other cars I can drive, so having it down for a couple days is no big deal.
Old 04-22-2015, 12:52 PM

It is best to remove the pulley once you have the assembly out of the car. Then you can remove the bracket and transfer everything over to the new pump. After you've got the replacement installed, and before you lower the front end, test out the pump. Of course you've filled it with fresh fluid. I bled mine a little by putting the return hose into a container, and then turning the engine over. I got some old fluid that had been in the steering box. Now that the system is bled, connect the return hose. Start the engine and turn the wheel from lock-to-lock ten times. That should get out any air that is left. And that should be it. I have had no problems and am leak free. I believe the pump cost me just under $50 and I have no idea how much money I saved by doing the labor myself.
Old 04-29-2015, 03:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I took my 84 to a mechanic to get a quote.. For pump and hoses I was told $624$ I choked and instantly knew I'd be doing this repair myself.