Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

worn flywheel causing starter problems?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2015, 12:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 89 Camaro rs
Engine: 2.8 v6
Transmission: manual
Axle/Gears: rear wheel drive
worn flywheel causing starter problems?

Hey all had a starter problem for quite a while in my 89 2.8 camaro. For a while it wouldn't hot start and I had to wait for a runs an hour for it to cool down or whatever so it would start. The I replaced the starter with a remanufacturd starter that started up fine every time but had a high pitched squealing every time I started it. I used all the shims that came with it and the noise wouldn't go away, and now that starter sounds even worse when I start it. My question is would a worn flywheel have any effect on the starting capabilities of the starter motor or is the pinion gear on the remanufacterd one just really worn out? Thanks much.
Old 05-28-2015, 01:15 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 88 convertible
Engine: 5.7L
Transmission: 4+3 maual
Axle/Gears: 3.07
Re: worn flywheel causing starter problems?

Did you actually measure the starter to flywheel or just throw the shims in because they were supplied? Dis-connect negative battery cable and remove cables from starter. Remove screws holding solenoid to starter and remove. Remove your trans dust shield. Engage the starter drive by pulling the armature back. The armature is that big cylindrical hunk of steel that slipped out of the solenoid when you removed it. Check your starter gear engagement to the flywheel. With the teeth lined up, you shouldn't have more than 0.030 clearance between the top of the tooth and the bottom of the valley between the flywheel teeth. Shim accordingly. While your down there, have someone rotate the engine a full turn so you can check the flywheel for damaged teeth. HTH!
Old 05-28-2015, 01:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 89 Camaro rs
Engine: 2.8 v6
Transmission: manual
Axle/Gears: rear wheel drive

I tested the starter with all three in succession adding one every time and it didn't go away, then I did half shims like the "instructions"suggested on both sides and still nothing changed... I didn't measure it but that would be a smart idea. Thanks much.
Old 05-29-2015, 05:42 PM
Supreme Member

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts
Car: 1988 Formula
Engine: 421 Little M block
Transmission: TH400 w/brake
Axle/Gears: 9" 4.30s, Wilwood discs, 28X10.5-15

A standard paperclip is .035. Bend it straight, you should be able to fit the wire
between the teeth of the flywheel and the starter gear.

most times shims should not be needed, take them all off and check the clearance.

if you need less clearance shim the outside bolt only..