Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

What should I do next?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2015, 02:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1991 Camaro RS
Engine: Built TBI 350
Transmission: T-5
Axle/Gears: 3.42 Posi
What should I do next?

After working in the summer, I have some extra money to spend before college. My 92 RS already has a Built 350 and a 3.42 Posi. What should I do next? Suspension? T56 Swap? Wheels? What improvements do you guys reccomend?
Old 07-24-2015, 03:00 PM

Car: 92 Camaro RS
Engine: 5.0
Transmission: 700r
Re: What should I do next?

your doing what im going to be doing soon..lol
i say go T56...then suspension..!

but i say it depends n what ya need most...i always did the long, hard parts first.
Old 07-24-2015, 07:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 91 firebird Formula 350
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: N/A, working on a t5 swap
Axle/Gears: 3.73 posi

^^ that's what she said
Old 07-25-2015, 12:44 AM
Supreme Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Car: 1988 Camaro
Engine: 355, 10.34:1, 249/252 @.050", IK200
Transmission: TH-400, 3500 stall 9.5" converter
Axle/Gears: Ford 9", detroit locker, 3.89 gears

It depends on what all is done to your car now.

Do you have good aftermarket exhaust from end to end of car... Headers, aftermarket Y pipe, high flow cat, aftermarket catback??? If not that's the 1st thing you need.

Do you have sub frame connectors? If not, that is a must have.

How is your brakes? When was the last full brake job?
If you do brakes then when you replace front rotors, go ahead and do front wheel bearings and seals.

Are there any non working or broke functions/parts/items in, on, under your car.. If so fix those.

After all of that, then look into aftermarket suspension and I don't just mean shocks/struts. I mean those as well as rear lower control arms, panhard rod, torque arm, larger sway bars, poly bushings through out, wonder bar up front, maybe even strut tower brace.
Old 07-25-2015, 12:28 PM

Car: 1991 Camaro RS
Engine: Built TBI 350
Transmission: T-5
Axle/Gears: 3.42 Posi

Originally Posted by Night rider327
It depends on what all is done to your car now.

Do you have good aftermarket exhaust from end to end of car... Headers, aftermarket Y pipe, high flow cat, aftermarket catback??? If not that's the 1st thing you need.

Do you have sub frame connectors? If not, that is a must have.

How is your brakes? When was the last full brake job?
If you do brakes then when you replace front rotors, go ahead and do front wheel bearings and seals.

Are there any non working or broke functions/parts/items in, on, under your car.. If so fix those.

After all of that, then look into aftermarket suspension and I don't just mean shocks/struts. I mean those as well as rear lower control arms, panhard rod, torque arm, larger sway bars, poly bushings through out, wonder bar up front, maybe even strut tower brace.
I'm thinking sub frame connectors are next.... Do they really work on 3rd Gens as much as older cars? My dads 1st Gen camaros felt like different cars with them on!
Old 07-25-2015, 12:44 PM
Supreme Member

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts
Car: 84 Z28
Engine: 383 Stroker
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.73

Yup they work. There are several different brands to choose from. I got older BMR weld in and love them. Pretty sure there is a thread here on different kinds, ect. have to do a search... GL
Old 07-26-2015, 01:06 AM
Supreme Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Car: 1988 Camaro
Engine: 355, 10.34:1, 249/252 @.050", IK200
Transmission: TH-400, 3500 stall 9.5" converter
Axle/Gears: Ford 9", detroit locker, 3.89 gears

Oh god yes they work even better on these cars than older ones.

The 1st and second gen F bodies at least had the big front subframe that looked like most of a real frame that went back to about the doors..

Our third gens is a true unibody car with just folded over sheet metal subframe made onto the floor pan of car.

With good weld in SFC in these cars you can feel the diff on the 1st drive, notice it 1st time you jack the car up, etc.

Alot of the dash and door rattles are gone after the SFC install. Jack up one corner of the car and able to lift both front and rear of that side up.

Throw the car into a tight turn at high speed and it no longer feels like a wet noddle

Mine has a 'meaner' engine in it but driving with out the SFC I could watch my dash flex and twist as I started off.. After the SFC, no movement to the dash at all.

I have Spohn SFC
Old 07-26-2015, 08:13 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1,672 Likes on 1,269 Posts
Car: Yes
Engine: Usually
Transmission: Sometimes
Axle/Gears: Behind me somewhere

SFCs are a MAJOR improvement to these cars. Altogether HUJE. If you haven't done that, do it.

Next would probably be suspension... sway bar end links & bushings, springs & shocks (BJs at the same time since it's eeeeezyest then), add a "wonder bar", rear LCAs & PHB, steering linkage, & aftermarket torque arm, in order of bang for the buck. Maybe upgrade the sway bars since you have some pretty weenie ones if they're still stock.

Better brakes are an amazing improvement as well... LS1 upgrade on the front, 89-92 discs on the rear (NOT 82-88!!!!) or 4th gen discs.