Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

ACC Fuse blown linked to "Computer Command Control" yet ECM works?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2016, 09:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: Custom 1992 Camaro Z28 25th Anniver
Engine: 5.7L V8 350 L98 TPI
ACC Fuse blown linked to "Computer Command Control" yet ECM works?

I am currently diagnosing why Accessory fuse is blowing but checking my manual indicates there are two "Computer Command Control" fuses.

One is part of the ACC 20amp and a seperate 15amp fuse for a "Computer Command Control".

now with the fuse blown/removed, while all the stuff linked to it (Horn, Interior Lights, door/mirror/hatch switches) don't work, there appears to be NO effect on the running of the car.

Isn't the "Computer Command Control" the fuse for the ECM? I would think it would stop the car from working or change the running of it at the very least? Yet has a separate 15amp fuse for it as well (which is not blown)..

Confused..

ALSO, "Radio Clock" is linked to the 20amp ACC fuse yet radio on my stock cd radio still works?

1992 Camaro Z28
Old 10-16-2016, 12:15 AM
Supreme Member

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
Car: 92 Camaro RS
Engine: LO3
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: stock
Re: ACC Fuse blown linked to "Computer Command Control" yet ECM works?

What often causes the ACCY fuse to blow is the socket part of the lighter. Don't know why, but they seem to short out eventually even if you don't use it. Happened to mine. Take the bezel off around the gauges and unplug the connector on the back of the lighter, but careful where you put it, the orange wire going to it is always hot. Try replacing the fuse and see if everything goes back on. If that works then either replace the lighter socket or whatever you want to do with the space.
HTH, Henry
Old 10-16-2016, 12:34 AM

What I cannot understand is what does the 20amp fuse do with the "Computer Command Control" because I took out the burned fuse and the car runs fine so does my radio clock. Yet there is a seperate fuse for the Computer COmmand Control as well..
Old 10-16-2016, 08:01 AM
On Probation

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Car: 84 Z-28
Engine: 305 HO
Transmission: r-700
Axle/Gears: 3:73

Originally Posted by camarosource
What I cannot understand is what does the 20amp fuse do with the "Computer Command Control" .
On MOST GM models the cig lighter/power ports work off the same fuse.
Old 10-16-2016, 02:45 PM

That actually is not what I asked.

While I appreciate everyone taking the time out to reply. Somehow everyone who did, misunderstood what I was actually asking. :-)

[QUESTION #1] : What I am asking is what exactly does the "ACC" part connect to as far as the "Computer Command Control" goes?

The reason I ask this is because the 20amp "ACC" fuse is blown (I pulled the fuse out for now) and while all the rest of the circuit "Horn, Switches (Side mirrors, door, hatch) do NOT work (rightfully so since they are part of the "ACC" fuse circuit), there appears to be nothing wrong with the running of the car.

I would THINK that the car would not even start if the computer is not connected. I would think the "Computer Command Control" would be the ECM is it not?

But then it makes no sense because there is a separate fuse "15amp" JUST for the "Computer Command Control" as well.

[QUESTION #2] : The other question is, how come the CD radio (factory) clock WORKS fine, even tho it indicates "Radio Clock" as part of the ACC fuse circuit?

Thank you very much
Old 10-16-2016, 04:47 PM

Car: 1983 Trans Am
Engine: 305
Transmission: Auto
Axle/Gears: Stock

Check the orange wire off the battery, it has a fusible link on it. My car ran too
with the fuse pulled out. I cut the link out and replaced it with a fuse.
Old 10-17-2016, 08:42 AM

Received 215 Likes on 201 Posts
Car: check
Engine: check
Transmission: check

Originally Posted by camarosource
[QUESTION #1] : What I am asking is what exactly does the "ACC" part connect to as far as the "Computer Command Control" goes?

[QUESTION #2] : The other question is, how come the CD radio (factory) clock WORKS fine, even tho it indicates "Radio Clock" as part of the ACC fuse circuit?

Thank you very much
There isn't any "Computer Command Control" fuse. The ECM gets ignition switched power from the ECM fuse. Sometimes labeled as the ECM/IGN fuse (10 A).

The radio battery power is from the ARC fuse (20 A), not the ACC fuse.

...but checking my manual indicates there are two "Computer Command Control" fuses.
Need to get a Helm manual.

RBob.