Transmissions and Drivetrain Need help with your trans? Problems with your axle?

Clutch question

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2011, 09:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clutch question

Hi, I just had my clutch and flywheel replaced about 6 months ago and it was always easy to push in. Yesterday I noticed I pushed in about 75% of the way and than after that it gets harder to push in. Is this something I should be worried about or do clutches normally do that not long after they're first put in?

Thanks.
Old 10-20-2011, 11:10 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 1987 IROC-Z Convertable
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: 5 Speed BW T-5
Axle/Gears: 3.08 Posi
Re: Clutch question

Check the clutch fork "ball" that mounts in the bellhousing. You can see it from under the car, it has a hex recessed hole that a large hex key will fit into. See if you can turn it and run it all the way into the bellhousing if it isn't. Ours was kinda doing the same and then we started blowing the end of the plastic slave cylinder out. After blowing out TWO plastic ones, we changed to a Wagner unit that is aluminum and that is when I noticed out clutch fork ball had worked its way out as far as it could come (it comes into contact with the trans housing after its quite aways out, so it couldn't fall out). After running that ball back into place with some silicone on its threads (I used to work for Cobalt Boats, they put silicone on all threads of there assemblys to keep nuts from vibrating off during use), it has stayed in place and no more "hard" clutch. If you push to hard, I would bet you will blow the end out of your slave cylinder also. Check it out, that may be your problem.