Transmissions and Drivetrain Need help with your trans? Problems with your axle?

So conflicted...stay with auto or go manual?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2015, 04:13 PM
Supreme Member

Received 58 Likes on 53 Posts
Car: 1987 GTA
Engine: 5.7
Transmission: T5WC
Axle/Gears: 3:27
So conflicted...stay with auto or go manual?

I thought I had a WC T5 lined up. Turns out its a non WC from an 84 Firebird. I have the 5.7 and I'm well aware of the concerns regarding the T5. That being said, It would never see a track or drag strip, or even one power shift. I do however like to toy around on the street. Now I'm wondering if I should just get another 700R4? Mine is tired and reverse comes and goes. So no matter what, I have to do something. I found something from Monster transmissions that would probably be close to what I would spend on the manual swap, for a T5. The T56 is out of the question. The American dollar is just to high and would likely be close to $4000 Canadian by the time all is said and done. Just looking for thoughts and opinions.

http://www.monstertransmission.com/7...l#.VTLHCSHBzRY
Old 04-19-2015, 05:53 PM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1988 IROC-Z camaro
Engine: 355 TPI
Transmission: tko 500
Axle/Gears: Dana 44 3.31 posi pbr brakes
Re: So conflicted...stay with auto or go manual?

The difference between Non-WC and WC T5 is not really worth sweating. If your trans is really on its way out i say go for the manual swap. I put a TKO in my car and would not go back to auto. Driving stick is just so much fun.
Old 04-19-2015, 06:15 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by subroc
The difference between Non-WC and WC T5 is not really worth sweating. If your trans is really on its way out i say go for the manual swap. I put a TKO in my car and would not go back to auto. Driving stick is just so much fun.

My concern is with parts availability as I've heard no new gear sets are available for the Non WC, and I'm also worried about the front bearing race for the counter gear. I understand if for any reason it gets ovaled, the transmission is done. I'm hesitant to open it up and find a mess. that's my hang up
Old 05-01-2015, 09:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: '86 Trans Amvanian Frankenbird
Engine: 350 4bbl
Transmission: T5 4.03/.76
Axle/Gears: 3.42

Considering how you plan to drive it, I wouldn't worry about it, either. Once you've done the conversion, a TKO becomes a drop-in solution should you decide to go with a beefier transmission. Also, the TKO can be bought new for less than most used T56's.
Old 05-01-2015, 07:58 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 88 GTA
Engine: Built 355 to install
Transmission: Built turbo 350

Edge,

Since your across the boarder, I'd recommend stay'n away from Monster Transmission, have your's rebuilt locally.

I bought their "Mega Monster" TH350 back in 2003 for a project that I never got finished, picked it up in person. It's been stored in a spare bedroom closet since, It's go'n in my GTA in a couple months, I ran across some reviews last weekend that has me worried. All you have to do is Google search, their "SUPERIOR HIGH PERFORMANCE REPROGRAMMING SHIFT KIT" is nothing more than hog'n a few holes out in the valve body spacer plate.

After reading many horror stories, I'm taking mine to a local trans guy and we're gonna perform a tear-down inspection before I install it. At that time I'll replace any junk parts they left in it, then toss the hogged out plate and install a REAL shift kit......
Old 05-01-2015, 08:23 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by Restrorob
Edge,

Since your across the boarder, I'd recommend stay'n away from Monster Transmission, have your's rebuilt locally.

I bought their "Mega Monster" TH350 back in 2003 for a project that I never got finished, picked it up in person. It's been stored in a spare bedroom closet since, It's go'n in my GTA in a couple months, I ran across some reviews last weekend that has me worried. All you have to do is Google search, their "SUPERIOR HIGH PERFORMANCE REPROGRAMMING SHIFT KIT" is nothing more than hog'n a few holes out in the valve body spacer plate.

After reading many horror stories, I'm taking mine to a local trans guy and we're gonna perform a tear-down inspection before I install it. At that time I'll replace any junk parts they left in it, then toss the hogged out plate and install a REAL shift kit......

I actually ended up sourcing a WC T5. Been wanting to do that for 15 years. I think I'd be second guessing myself forever if I did't go this route