Transmissions and Drivetrain Need help with your trans? Problems with your axle?

New clutch and flywheel installation questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2015, 02:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: currently a 91 G92.
Engine: 305TPI
Transmission: Borg Warner WC 5 speed
Axle/Gears: 3.42
New clutch and flywheel installation questions

Hi guys,

This is the my 1st clutch installation in the bird. Old clutch was very worn out and slipping badly. Upon removal, I noticed that my flywheel was all black and blue from the excessive heat and knowing that it has been resurfaced at least once before, I elected to get a new Sachs flywheel, part # s2nfw1004, for the car from rock auto. The new clutch I got is from McLeod racing and it is their street pro clutch kit. I have a couple of questions about the installation.
Is there something I need to do to the flywheel prior to installation, other than cleaning the oil that it has been stored in from the friction surface? Is there a need to check it for balance or anything like that?
Second, my pilot bushing, which was made out of brass, just came out on its own while I was removing the transmission. The pilot bushing fit seems kind of loose around the nose of the transmission input shaft. The transmission input shaft looks fine, without any signs of damage, or ware. Is the pilot bushing supposed to be a loose fit, or is it supposed to fit tightly around the front of the input shaft? Any help and productive suggestions about the installation would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Old 07-21-2015, 02:16 PM
Supreme Member

Received 98 Likes on 62 Posts
Car: 88GTA
Engine: 5.7TPI
Transmission: Auto
Axle/Gears: 3.27
Re: New clutch and flywheel installation questions

No. Have the bearing knurled or use a brass bushing.
You could then try green lock tite and let it sit overnight before you stab tranny.
I went through this 6 months ago on my 2000 RamAir