Transmissions and Drivetrain Need help with your trans? Problems with your axle?

clutch or tranny

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2015, 11:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1983 pontiac firebird trans am sl
Engine: 305 v8
Axle/Gears: 3.23
clutch or tranny

hi im new to the site iv had my 1983 firebird for a lil over a half a year now havent got to drive it much it seems like its one thing after another with it and i knew that when i bought it it would be a project car that i dished alot of money into and one day it will be my sunday driver lol note i never drove a standerd befor i bought this car probly wasnt the best first car but i swear she picked me so i learnd how to drive her watch mad videos and pratice daylie so i finaly got the hang of it and the torch arm bushing let go okay easy fix i did it my self then my rear end went not so easy and not so cheep i fixed that finaly got her back and the power steering pump went.. i bougth that ,got it waiting to go in so i get in her the other day to drive down to the shop and she starts but wont go in eny gear , not 1 -5 or reverse (and bye not go into gear i dont me it wont let me in gear i mean it goes in and when i release the clutch its makes a clanking noise) and dosent move eny were at all . i had to put blocks to hold it from rolling away cus no gear work and the e brakes been gone but i notice a bunch of clear fluid coming from the mottor it sort of smells like brake fluid . just wondering if its my trany or do i need a new clutch ?? eny help guys and soory about my spelling
Old 11-24-2015, 11:41 AM

Car: 1989 IROC-Z / T-Top -1987 GTA
Engine: 305 (LO3) _350 (L98)
Transmission: 700R4 _ 700R4
Axle/Gears: 2.73 L.S. - ???
Re: clutch or tranny

if it is shut off, can you get it to go into a gear? you may have to rock it a bit to get it in ... if so it is not the trans ... if not, good chance it is more bad news ... but from the sounds of the "clear fluid coming from the mottor" it sounds like it is the slave cylinder ... if you can, go out and try to put it into gear with out it running ... also, is the pedal "soft" when you push it?
Old 11-24-2015, 11:48 AM

the clutch pedals the same it was not soft its got presure and a nice bite . the brake pedal on the other hand is hard as **** to push in and im gonna go try that right now thanks
Old 11-24-2015, 11:57 AM

alright well bad news 1st gear rolls reverse rolls and the brake was like realy soft today so for the **** of it i poped the hood and i got brake fluid so idk about that clear fluid but thats probly a hole nother problem lol . if its my trany should i rebuild it or look for a better one seeing how the one that come stock suck ***

like witch tranny could i go with that will match the mounts and my rear end and witch would be the best for my money and not too much . or should i just sell her to some one els whos got the time and money to treat her right i feel lik i aint she just sitting in my yard . i dont mind doing the work my self if i can get tips on how to do so to save some money

Last edited by ElbowmMackDaddy; 11-24-2015 at 12:15 PM.
Old 11-24-2015, 02:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1990 Formula Firebird
Engine: 305 TBI (LO3)
Transmission: WC T-5 out of an 88 T/A
Axle/Gears: 10 bolt, 3.42 & Torsen Posi

Originally Posted by ElbowmMackDaddy
alright well bad news 1st gear rolls reverse rolls and the brake was like realy soft today so for the **** of it i poped the hood and i got brake fluid so idk about that clear fluid but thats probly a hole nother problem lol . if its my trany should i rebuild it or look for a better one seeing how the one that come stock suck ***

like witch tranny could i go with that will match the mounts and my rear end and witch would be the best for my money and not too much . or should i just sell her to some one els whos got the time and money to treat her right i feel lik i aint she just sitting in my yard . i dont mind doing the work my self if i can get tips on how to do so to save some money
Duuuude! USE PUNCTUATION! Reading your posts makes my brain hurt.

The only bolt in trans that would be any sort of upgrade at all would be a newer T-5 out of a 1988 or newer V8 car. Note V8 trans, don't cheap out & buy a 6 cylinder trans, there are a handful of reasons they're a downgrade & I'm not going to get into that here.

Unless you have stacks of cash burning holes in your pocket pull the trans & figure out whats wrong and just have it fixed. Any trans swap is going to cost upwards of $1000 easy.

Last edited by Formula 305; 11-24-2015 at 02:33 PM.