Transmissions and Drivetrain Need help with your trans? Problems with your axle?

Adventures in rear end repair

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2016, 09:18 AM
Supreme Member

Received 189 Likes on 149 Posts
Car: 1984 Trans Am L69
Engine: Sniper EFI Powered 355
Transmission: WC T5 w/ Steel Support Plate
Axle/Gears: 3.42 10 Bolt Posi
Adventures in rear end repair

On Thursday I joined forced with a friend to assemble the rear end on my Trans AM. It previously ripped a tooth off the pinion gear.

To start somehow the pinion gear threads got jacked and as a result two pinion nuts I had got wrecked. So I spent 2 hours trying to fix it with a file. Then looked for a new nut. Not one autoparts store has one. Finally got one off my friends old rear axle (Trip 1)

Went to set it up but I needed another pinion bearing to make slip fit for measuring due to lack of super special tools (Trip 2)

So brought it back and spent another hour with a file and still no go.
Eventually found a 7/8-14 die at harbor freight, came with 39 more pieces and only cost $85..... (Trip 3)

http://www.harborfreight.com/45-pc-t...set-61411.html

Fixed all the threads and got the rear gears installed. Put the axles in and the rotors would not fit over the hubs on the upgraded 28 spline axles. They were about 0.3" oversized and meant for a newer rotor. I ordered them from summit and already pressed in the bearings and studs so no easy returns. At this point my friend bailed for the day.

Called some friends and eventually found one who is a tool and die maker he said come over 9AM Saturday morning and he would look at it. Took the car apart again, pulled the axles and brought them to him Saturday. (Trip 4)

He called around and found a lathe we could rent for a few minutes and turned them down. Hung out for a few hours until the shop was open (11:30) and took a trip. After about 30 minutes of work and another 30 minutes of bullsh!tting they were turned down. The guy only charged me $10 for the shop time the Hillary sucks discount. (Trip 5)

Reassembled on Saturday Took test drive sounded good after about 4 miles noticed a gear whine. Took it apart again sunday and found the carrier we shimmed tight was now somehow sloppy also the pinion seal was leaking.

Got a new seal and brake cleaner for Sunday work (Trip 6)

Re shimmed and took a test drive the gear are breaking in nicely, low to none gear noise great pattern super excited and brought it home to cool. Took a look under the car and the pinion seal is leaking again.

Now I need to pull the pinion yoke again because the old seal must have worn a low spot in the yoke (common). Now I need to sleeve the pinion yoke
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000EPR7ES/ (Saved a trip through Amazon)

Hopefully I will reassemble on Friday, I am really hoping I will be able to do it in < 2 hours. I am also replacing the seal with a “performance” version from Yukon in hopes it will be better than my Chinese knock off from AutoZone. Should not be too bad because I used a crush sleeve delete kit

But I drove it about 30 miles and it was nice no more clicks and pops and seems smooth so at least that is awesome. Almost there.