V6 Discussion and questions about the base carbureted or MPFI V6's and the rare SFI Turbo V6.

Leaking fuel line

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2017, 04:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 92 Camaro RS
Engine: 3.1 L
Leaking fuel line

Hi all,

92 RS 3.1 MPFI

I have a leak in my fuel line. It is coming out of the bottom of the cylinder (see attached picture) in the fuel line located under the throttle body. It's a pretty consistent drip.

Can anyone tell me what that cylinder is? Has anyone else had a leak there? It looks like (if no one has an easier fix) I'd have to replace that whole section of the fuel line. It's all one metal piece that starts to the right of the air conditioning compressor, goes under the throttle body, and then leads under the intake manifold to the back side of the engine near the firewall.

Thank you for your input.
Attached Thumbnails Leaking fuel line-fuel-thing-arow.jpg  
Old 01-27-2017, 05:22 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1,052 Likes on 748 Posts
Re: Leaking fuel line

Best guess is it's probably a pulse dampener. Never seen one leak. I'd make sure it's actually leaking from there, and not leaking somewhere else and just running and dripping there.

I've got the entire fuel line assembly off a 3.1 laying in the garage. If you decide to replace it, send me a PM.
Old 01-27-2017, 08:45 PM

And I think you're right, Drew. Upon further inspection, I'm pretty sure the leak is coming from the fuel line going into the right side of the metal cylinder. I might try some JB weld.
Old 01-29-2017, 11:43 AM
Supreme Member

Received 661 Likes on 471 Posts
Car: 1989 Firebird

Originally Posted by jeremiah.s
And I think you're right, Drew. Upon further inspection, I'm pretty sure the leak is coming from the fuel line going into the right side of the metal cylinder. I might try some JB weld.
Earlier V6 third gens do not have that component , were this mine I think I'd try eliminating it alltogether and see how it runs before I resorted to gluing something fuel system wise back together with JB weld* . I'm not sure what problem or running issue that device is supposed to cure , but all the V6 engines before and up to 1989 didn't have it and they all seemed to run as good as any other V6 .

* JB weld is great stuff , but since we are talking fuel leak I think I'd pass on using it here .....
Old 01-29-2017, 03:54 PM

Thanks for the reply OrangeBird.

Well, JB weld didn't work anyway (still a slow, steady leak). I went to a salvage yard and found a 2.8 L Camaro and took the fuel line from it. (And you're right, didn't have that cylinder piece.)

I'll install it today. I'm sure it'll be fine. I'm still very curious, though. What is that?
Old 01-29-2017, 10:06 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by jeremiah.s
Thanks for the reply OrangeBird.

Well, JB weld didn't work anyway (still a slow, steady leak). I went to a salvage yard and found a 2.8 L Camaro and took the fuel line from it. (And you're right, didn't have that cylinder piece.)

I'll install it today. I'm sure it'll be fine. I'm still very curious, though. What is that?
I honestly have no idea and I think Drew's idea of a pulse dampener makes the most sense . If Drew's spare fuel system has one then we know it's a factory part , but if Drew's 3.1 fuel assembly doesn't have it maybe it's one of those aftermarket "fuel saver" things that don't actually save any fuel ?

I am only suspicious because I've seen a bunch of these 60 degree V6 engines and I can't ever recall seeing that part . If the 89 plumbing you got fits , works , and don't leak , by all means run it and I'll bet it runs just as good with or without it , there is nothing presently dampening my fuel pulses and my lil V6 runs great
Old 01-29-2017, 10:09 PM
Supreme Member

The mighty Orangebird 2.8 in all it's shiny clean glory .
Attached Thumbnails Leaking fuel line-firebird101.jpg  
Old 01-29-2017, 11:01 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1,052 Likes on 748 Posts

Both of my 3.1L 91's have had the can. It's hard to guess exactly what GM was trying to accomplish, but I wouldn't worry about it too much. A lot of head scratchers like this are intended to resolve a subtle noise, or imperceptible issue. 25 years later it probably doesn't matter as much as the ability to run and drive without bursting into flames.
Old 01-29-2017, 11:55 PM
On Probation

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Car: 88 Camaro vert/86 SC
Engine: 355 tbi/2.8 V6
Transmission: 700R4/T5
Axle/Gears: 2.72 posi/3.42 open

Originally Posted by OrangeBird
The mighty Orangebird 2.8 in all it's shiny clean glory .

Very nice, and very clean. Is it auto or manual?
Old 01-30-2017, 08:51 AM

Received 215 Likes on 201 Posts
Car: check
Engine: check
Transmission: check

The can is a pulsation damper intended to lower fuel rail noise.

RBob.