Search



Go Back   Third Generation F-Body Message Boards > Tech Boards > DFI and ECM
Register Forgot Password?

DFI and ECM Discuss all aspects of DFI (Digital Fuel Injection), ECMs (Electronic Control Module), scanners, and diagnostic equipment. Fine tune your Third Gen computer system for top performance.

Welcome to ThirdGen.org!
Welcome to ThirdGen.org.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join the ThirdGen.org community today!


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-04-2004, 01:16 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: westland, mi
Posts: 667

Classifieds Rating: (0)

Send a message via ICQ to maniacc
Accel DFI for Dummies???

O.K., i gettin ready to start playing with my Gen VII DFI again, I was wondering where i find some beginner info on how to tune this system, I really don't want to have to pay a speedshop everytime that i make a change to my combo.

I have read thru the manual many times, but there is alot that i just can't seem to comprehend. I bought this system because i thought it was supposed to be user friendly.

Can anyone suggest books or classes??? will the book for the gen 6 by Ray Bohacz be any help?

thanks
larry
__________________
MN
88 IROC 5.7 TPI
ATI procharger D1sc 10#'s boost, Accel Gen VII DFI, edelbrock TES, complete MSD ignition, Borla cat-back, KB subframe connectors, accel 42# injectors...and a few other go fast goodies

Best E.T. 12.620 @ 108.44 mph
maniacc is offline vBGarage Page   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2004, 02:12 PM   #2
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Ann Arbor MI
Posts: 404

Classifieds Rating: (0)
I noticed that on the Calmap 6.32, if you know what you are doing it is user friendly. What you really need is a dyno to be abel to see what is happening when ever you change something. I dowloaded some instructions for tuning mine but not sure where you can get them for VII. In Calmap 6.32 there is a place to input your estimated hp (and maybe a few other things) to get a base fuel map and prolly other variables.
Fevre is offline vBGarage Page   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2004, 03:34 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: westland, mi
Posts: 667

Classifieds Rating: (0)

Send a message via ICQ to maniacc
I have already been the route of using the program estimater to get the car running, which it did, albeit extremely rich and the need the keep the throttle cracked to keep it running, then with some help from a friend, he was able to get it running alot better, but it still has some major tuning issues. And i don't think his heart was really into it.

I feel you should be able to get the tune close without a dyno, especially seeing that i have the wideband 02 option.

larry
__________________
MN
88 IROC 5.7 TPI
ATI procharger D1sc 10#'s boost, Accel Gen VII DFI, edelbrock TES, complete MSD ignition, Borla cat-back, KB subframe connectors, accel 42# injectors...and a few other go fast goodies

Best E.T. 12.620 @ 108.44 mph
maniacc is offline vBGarage Page   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2004, 04:15 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: In reality
Posts: 7,554
Car: An Ol Buick
Engine: Vsick
Transmission: Janis Tranny Yank Converter

Classifieds Rating: (0)
Re: Accel DFI for Dummies???

Quote:
Originally posted by maniacc
Gen VII

I have read thru the manual many times, but there is alot that i just can't seem to comprehend. I bought this system because i thought it was supposed to be user friendly.

Can anyone suggest books or classes??? will the book for the gen 6 by Ray Bohacz be any help?
The manual I looked at for the Accel VII was very lacking, it was on one of the early units, if they haven't redone it, then yes, it's lacking.

Bohacz book is a good first read.

User friendly ends when you actually want to get good drivibility. It takes a certain level of sophistication to make it all work. And that means work.

Sorry, just the way it is.

If you want to save on wear and tear on the car, and save a bunch of gas, you'll be getting one of the cheaper WB setups. They're invaluable for a new guy starting on a ground up calibration, IMO....
Grumpy is offline vBGarage Page   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2004, 06:16 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: westland, mi
Posts: 667

Classifieds Rating: (0)

Send a message via ICQ to maniacc
Thanks Grumpy,

When i purchased my DFI system last spring, there wasn't even a manual with it, only the one that was downloadable from the Mr. gasket website. so that is all i have.

I don't need to get another WB kit do i?? i already have the WB option with the DFI.

It's looking like i'll have to throw my car on a trailer and taking it to a local speed shop and let them tune it. which really angers me. i bought this system so i could tune it. but i obviously got in over my head or i'm just really stupid.

larry
__________________
MN
88 IROC 5.7 TPI
ATI procharger D1sc 10#'s boost, Accel Gen VII DFI, edelbrock TES, complete MSD ignition, Borla cat-back, KB subframe connectors, accel 42# injectors...and a few other go fast goodies

Best E.T. 12.620 @ 108.44 mph
maniacc is offline vBGarage Page   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2004, 08:55 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: In reality
Posts: 7,554
Car: An Ol Buick
Engine: Vsick
Transmission: Janis Tranny Yank Converter

Classifieds Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally posted by maniacc
i bought this system so i could tune it. but i obviously got in over my head or i'm just really stupid.

Not at all.
It's something new, and takes time to understand.
Go slow take notes.
Might read thur the DIY-PROM board for a while trying to get a better grasp of what you looking to do.
Grumpy is offline vBGarage Page   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2004, 08:55 PM   #7
D F
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 30

Classifieds Rating: (0)
Download the Holley Commander 950 tuning manual. Although it is for the Holley it provides a methodical tuning strategy for any EFI system. www.holley.com
D F is offline vBGarage Page   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2004, 11:09 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 504

Classifieds Rating: (0)
I see in your sig. that your combo is boosted. This may not be the combo you want to learn on as there is not a big window for error. If i were you I would pay to get it tuned, ask them if they will show you a little while they are doing it, then you can study the tables afterward and try to get a grasp on it. Did you buy the pro key with it? if not you cannot make changes live. Once you have a understanding of fuel injection it will start to make sense. Get the download that DF recommended, it will help you. If you do do it yourself, GO SLOW, watch the WB02. I tuned mine first without the blower belt on then added boost.

one more thing, whats up with the 24lb injectors? are you running a FMU still?
biggtime is offline vBGarage Page   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2004, 05:19 AM   #9
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: BAY AREA
Posts: 168

Classifieds Rating: (0)

Bear in mind that I havent really played with the Gen 7, but hopefully what Ive learned from the Gen 6, you may be able to use to help you. It's also kind of long. LOL.
Many times, beginners will look at the base fuel map to start playing with. What beginners tend to forget is that there are other areas of the DFI that can affect how the motor reacts.
Take for example in Calmap 6.32, I can go into the WARMUP ENRICHMENT section and by altering the percentage at the temperature the motor is running in, I can make the motor run richer or leaner. This is because the WARMUP ENRICHMENT function works on top of what the base fuel map is calling for. AFTER START DECAY RATE in Calmap 6.32 can also have an affect over how well a motor runs just like the WARMUP ENRICHMENT map.
A lot of times when it comes to the first tune, ZEROING out maps like WARMUP ENRICHMENT, AFTERSTART DECAY RATE, etc. will help greatly in first tuning the DFI. Also People will use a map tuned for someone elses motor. Though the base fuel will be close to what your motor may need, your motor may not need as much WARMUP ENRICHMENT as what the other motor needs. So now your motor will run too rich. Sections like these in Calmap tend to mask what changes the base fuel map needs and people that begin to play with the DFI dont realize that.
On the flip side, adding or subtracting a percentage to a map like WARMUP ENRICHMENT can tell you if your base fuel map needs more or needs less. For example, if say my motor is running too rich, I can go into WARMUP ENRICHMENT map and by subtracting a percentage at a time out of the map at the point in which the current temperature is at, I am leaning the base fuel map. If the car runs better with the WARMUP ENRICHMENT at say 30% less, I go back to the base fuel map and make my changes to reflect the percentage I took out and zero out the WARMUP ENRICHMENT and see how the motor runs from there.
Again, this is what Ive learned tuning the Gen 6 DFI with Calmap 6.32. But again, hopefully you can get something out of it. Hope this helps.
__________________
N/A 406, TPIS Miniram, 58mm TB, 30lbs injectors, Custom Ground Elgin Cam, Ported TFS heads, SLP 1-3/4", & DFI Gen 6. Still waiting for it to die.
11.70@117mph

Last edited by FAST LiFE; 02-05-2004 at 05:21 AM.
FAST LiFE is offline vBGarage Page   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2004, 08:35 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: westland, mi
Posts: 667

Classifieds Rating: (0)

Send a message via ICQ to maniacc
Thanks guys,
This is some great info.

biggtime...I have 24# injectors and the FMU on the car right now, the reason for this is i wanted to make sure that everything was going to work with the new ecm, because i am using a plug and pray harness with the OEM harness, and not the accel supplied one. Now that i have all the installation bugs worked out, i have a set of 42# injectors that i will be installing and ditching the FMU.
Also no i recieved the sportmans key, but i was told that i could still do everyhing except edit certain maps, i didn't know that i couldn't do realtime changes. This is something that i'll have to check into, because this was a big selling point.

later
larry
__________________
MN
88 IROC 5.7 TPI
ATI procharger D1sc 10#'s boost, Accel Gen VII DFI, edelbrock TES, complete MSD ignition, Borla cat-back, KB subframe connectors, accel 42# injectors...and a few other go fast goodies

Best E.T. 12.620 @ 108.44 mph

Last edited by maniacc; 02-05-2004 at 08:40 AM.
maniacc is offline vBGarage Page   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2004, 08:47 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 504

Classifieds Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally posted by maniacc
Thanks guys,
This is some great info.

biggtime...I have 24# injectors and the FMU on the car right now, the reason for this is i wanted to make sure that everything was going to work with the new ecm, because i am using a plug and pray harness with the OEM harness, and not the accel supplied one. Now that i have all the installation bugs worked out, i have a set of 42# injectors that i will be installing and ditching the FMU.
Also no i recieved the sportmans key, but i was told that i could still do everyhing except edit certain maps, i didn't know that i couldn't do realtime changes. This is something that i'll have to check into, because this was a big selling point.

later
larry
Make sure you put them in before tuning or you will have to go back and start over!
biggtime is offline vBGarage Page   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2004, 10:30 AM   #12
Member
 
BANDITSBC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: sw michigan
Posts: 141
Car: 90 gta
Engine: 5.slow turbo
Transmission: tremec tko

Classifieds Rating: (0)
Send a message via Yahoo to BANDITSBC
ok, i just got the GEN 7 also, and when i first looked at it was like OMG, i thought i knew something about this stuff,WRONG! well i just printed out the F1 help screen, gonna spend the afternoon reading it. i'll let u know if it helps me
BANDITSBC is offline vBGarage Page   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2004, 03:00 PM   #13
Member
 
BBSDesigns's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Isla del Encanto, P.R.
Posts: 480
Car: GTA
Engine: Bone Stock 350ci HSR T-76 Turbo
Transmission: T56 6-speed
Axle/Gears: Stock

Classifieds Rating: (0)

Holley 950 or Accel DFI? for turbo

Hi I am looking for proggramable injection for my 355 with turbos and need some advice in which is the best setup, prices,etc...
BBSDesigns is offline vBGarage Page   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2004, 03:19 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 9,550
Car: 91 Camaro Vert
Engine: 02 LS1, HX40
Transmission: 2002 LS1 M6

Classifieds Rating: (0)

Re: Accel DFI for Dummies???

Quote:
Originally posted by maniacc
O.K., i gettin ready to start playing with my Gen VII DFI again, I was wondering where i find some beginner info on how to tune this system, I really don't want to have to pay a speedshop everytime that i make a change to my combo.

I have read thru the manual many times, but there is alot that i just can't seem to comprehend. I bought this system because i thought it was supposed to be user friendly.

Can anyone suggest books or classes??? will the book for the gen 6 by Ray Bohacz be any help?

thanks
larry

no, you'll never get it right, give your whole system to me!




lol, seriously though, holley has a great EFI tuning guide for the commander 950 online... while the screen shots and such wont help you, the overall concept and ideas will still apply.
MrDude_1 is offline vBGarage Page   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2004, 06:32 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: westland, mi
Posts: 667

Classifieds Rating: (0)

Send a message via ICQ to maniacc
Mr. dude,

If things keep going the way they are, i might just sell the whole car!!!

I have started printing the holley manual, but ran outta ink, also i am going to borders books tomorrow to see if they have the accel 6.0 book.

later
larry
maniacc is offline vBGarage Page   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2004, 11:49 AM   #16
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 9,550
Car: 91 Camaro Vert
Engine: 02 LS1, HX40
Transmission: 2002 LS1 M6

Classifieds Rating: (0)

Quote:
Originally posted by maniacc
Mr. dude,

If things keep going the way they are, i might just sell the whole car!!!

I have started printing the holley manual, but ran outta ink, also i am going to borders books tomorrow to see if they have the accel 6.0 book.

later
larry


uhh, since you have to be at the laptop/computer to use the system anyway, you could just copy the file to the computer

and then just read it and switch between the manual and DFI...

Alt + Tab swaps programs when they're full screen.
MrDude_1 is offline vBGarage Page   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 06:50 PM   #17
Supreme Member
 
ASE doc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Aurora, OR
Posts: 3,619
Car: 87 IROC Z28
Engine: 355 cid TPI, very built
Transmission: Pro Built Automatic w/3,500 stall
Axle/Gears: 3.27 Limited slip

Classifieds Rating: (0)
Re: Accel DFI for Dummies???

The Wide band O2 is so named because it can read exhaust oxygen content over a "wide band", including full thottle acceleration. The purpose of this in the gen 7 system is ease of base fuel map programming. Warm up your engine. If youre having trouble with cold idle, adjust warm up fuel accordingly. If the vehicle is undrivable, try using the base fuel map generator again. Just reduce the estimated HP number. This program tends to go way rich but you can cheat it and atleast get a base map that will work to start. Drive the vehicle using the movie function to record base fuel map & air fuel ratio. Park the vehicle and view the recorded data. Adjust base fuel to correct AF across the map. This can take a while but thats how its done. Repeat these steps until AF is in line. AF at cruise should be just under 14.5:1. At full throttle it should run between 11:1 & 12.5:1 depending on your engine configuration. Once youve set base fuel (this has to be first), adjust timing curve using movie to record ign map while driving under varying throttle pressures until your comfortable with engine performance. Dont get too crazy with ign advance. Pre ignition is no joke. If you hear pinging back off two degrees full advance. Next let it cool overnight and adjust after start and warm up enrichment. Its not as simple as it sounds but if your diligent and dont give up too easy, you can do this. Study all you can about engine tuning first. Amazon offers many publications on the subject. Good luck.
ASE doc is offline vBGarage Page   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 07:32 PM   #18
Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Chasing Electrons
Posts: 14,291
Car: check
Engine: check
Transmission: check

Classifieds Rating: (1)

Re: Accel DFI for Dummies???

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASE doc View Post
The Wide band O2 is so named because it can read exhaust oxygen content over a "wide band", including full thottle acceleration. The purpose of this in the gen 7 system is ease of base fuel map programming. Warm up your engine. If youre having trouble with cold idle, adjust warm up fuel accordingly. If the vehicle is undrivable, try using the base fuel map generator again. Just reduce the estimated HP number. This program tends to go way rich but you can cheat it and atleast get a base map that will work to start. Drive the vehicle using the movie function to record base fuel map & air fuel ratio. Park the vehicle and view the recorded data. Adjust base fuel to correct AF across the map. This can take a while but thats how its done. Repeat these steps until AF is in line. AF at cruise should be just under 14.5:1. At full throttle it should run between 11:1 & 12.5:1 depending on your engine configuration. Once youve set base fuel (this has to be first), adjust timing curve using movie to record ign map while driving under varying throttle pressures until your comfortable with engine performance. Dont get too crazy with ign advance. Pre ignition is no joke. If you hear pinging back off two degrees full advance. Next let it cool overnight and adjust after start and warm up enrichment. Its not as simple as it sounds but if your diligent and dont give up too easy, you can do this. Study all you can about engine tuning first. Amazon offers many publications on the subject. Good luck.

You do realize that you dug up a 6 year old thread. Why?

RBob.
__________________

www.DynamicEFI.com

'92 Camaro in Dark Green Gray Metallic
RBob is offline vBGarage Page   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 07:32 PM
ThirdGen
1992 Camaro




Paid Advertisement


Reply

Go Back   Third Generation F-Body Message Boards > Tech Boards > DFI and ECM

Tags
accel, datalogger, dfi, dyno, forum, gen, injection, instruction, key, manual, pro, read, tables, tune, tuning, vii
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 


1982 Camaro '82 || 1983 Camaro '83 || 1984 Camaro '84 || 1985 Camaro '85 || 1986 Camaro '86 || 1987 Camaro '87 || 1988 Camaro '88 || 1989 Camaro '89 || 1990 Camaro '90 || 1991 Camaro '91 || 1992 Camaro '92


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:15 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
All content copyright 1997 - 2014 ThirdGen.org. All rights reserved. No part of this website may be reproduced without the expressed, documented, and written consent of ThirdGen.org's Administrators.

Emails & Contact Details