Aftermarket Product Review Provide questions and answers about aftermarket parts for the Third Generation F-Body.

Which head gasket for the 305 TPI(almost there phew!!)

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2001, 11:12 PM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which head gasket for the 305 TPI(almost there phew!!)

MY mechanic was switching heads from stock cast iron heads to the corvette heads and while the car was being rebuild i gave the machine shop a brand new felpro head gasket. Should i keep the felpro head gasket or go with another head gasket. Ive seen many racers when they blown many headgaskets so since heads are coming off,i might as well figure out if i should stay with the felpro or order a set of others.

------------------
92' camaro
New 305 block TPI conversion, Flat top pistons,Bore over .30 Forged parts all around,Edelbrock intake,ported plennum,ported corvette alluminum heads, accel cam,52mm throttle bodie, SLP runners Home aid cold air induction, Air foil,ford SVO 19lb injectors,fuel regulator,cloys timing chain, comp alluminum roller rocker arms and pushrods MSD 8.5 mm wires, bosch plattinum plugs, hypertech cap & rotor and coil, Edelbrock TES headers, free flowing catalytic converter and a 3 inch force II flowmaster exhaust system, and a 3 inch cutout,Zoom multi friction clutch, T-5 tranny,billenstien shocks&struts.
Soon to come!!!
Procharger system 12lbs o boost.
New paint job(hawaiin orchid purple)Cast alluminum ZR1 rims w/ 275 tires.
Favorite quote: "where ever u go, there u are"

Other car;
1971 plymouth Duster
Mods:340,edelbrock victor jr. intake, 650 4 barrel holley, heddman headers,40 series dual flowmasters, cold air intake,4:10 gears, just got a new paint job and cragar rims with 315 tires in the back.
:Yeah its not a chevy but damn how many 71' dusters have u seen in the streets.
Old 03-27-2001, 11:43 AM
Supreme Member

Car: '87 Camaro IROC-Z
Engine: 385 HSR
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.42 posi
The recommended FelPro head gasket for a street/strip small-block Chevy's with aluminum heads is the 1010. Martel Brothers Performance <http://www.martelbros.com> has the FelPro catalog on-line (as well as a ton of other catalogs) and the SBC gaskets are on pg. 10. I haven't heard of anyone running Felpro head gaskets having problems in normal applications (ie: not a ton of boost or juice).

------------------
Greg Westphal
'87 IROC 305TPI/A4
Old 03-27-2001, 12:15 PM
Supreme Member

so should i have a problem fitting the felpro gasket 1010 since i am running a 305 w/ a bore over .30.

------------------
92' camaro
New 305 block TPI conversion, Flat top pistons,Bore over .30 Forged parts all around,Edelbrock intake,ported plennum,ported corvette alluminum heads, accel cam,52mm throttle bodie, SLP runners Home aid cold air induction, Air foil,ford SVO 19lb injectors,fuel regulator,cloys timing chain, comp alluminum roller rocker arms and pushrods MSD 8.5 mm wires, bosch plattinum plugs, hypertech cap & rotor and coil, Edelbrock TES headers, free flowing catalytic converter and a 3 inch force II flowmaster exhaust system, and a 3 inch cutout,Zoom multi friction clutch, T-5 tranny,billenstien shocks&struts.
Soon to come!!!

Other car;
1971 plymouth Duster
Mods:340,edelbrock victor jr. intake, 650 4 barrel holley, heddman headers,40 series dual flowmasters, cold air intake,4:10 gears, just got a new paint job and cragar rims with 315 tires in the back.
Old 03-27-2001, 01:10 PM
TGO Supporter

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 1987 Z28 Convertible
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: 5-speed
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by vortech305:
so should i have a problem fitting the felpro gasket 1010 since i am running a 305 w/ a bore over .30.</font>
No. Remember the combustion chamber volume contained within a 350 head has a diameter of 4-inches (same as the 350 bore). Because the bore of a 305 much less, it doesn't matter that it's been bored over -- as long as the bore isn't over 4-inches!!! (I guess that would make it a 350!!)

Also, the stock LB9 and L98 head gasket has a compressed thickness of 0.021 inches. I've never seen a composite head gasket that is as thin, which means to expect a decrease in compression ratio. I'm running GM composite gaskets with a compressed thickness of 0.051, which effectively reduces my compression from the stock 9.3 to 1 down to 8.9 to 1.

------------------
Willie

Supercharged 1987 305 IROC-Z, Daily-Driver, Emissions-Legal.
Paxton (6-psig): 12.57 @ 111 mph.
Paxton (6-psig) & 50-hp nitrous: 12.04 @ 114 mph.
ATI D1SC (10-psig): ?

http://willie.camaro-firebird.org/

1987 "20th Anniversary Commemorative Edition" Z28 Convertible -- Super Chevy Show Class Winner, 1998.
Old 03-27-2001, 02:51 PM
Supreme Member

wow my compression is gonna go down the toilet, I also ported the combustion chamber. I know there are gaskets out there that should raise your compression and the only place i know of is www.TPIS.com but i want to see if there are others.

------------------
92' camaro
Soon to come!!!

Other car;
1971 plymouth Duster
Old 03-27-2001, 02:54 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 88 IROC-Z
Engine: L98
Transmission: TH350
Axle/Gears: 3.45
If your really worried about blowing out a head gasket (with 12lbs. of boost i would) Id run Milodon Copper head gaskets. They are the best in sealing that u can get and wont blow out like the Fel Pro ones. Also, if you plan to ru more boost, you might want to consider getting the block and heads o-ringed. That will give you the ultimate seal.
Old 03-27-2001, 04:09 PM
Supreme Member

more than 12 lbs of boost. Im not that crazy. Thanks for the tip. Hope those miloden head gaskets work. By the way how much do they go for??? Someone told me a long time ago that copper headgaskets, alluminum heads and some spark dont match, its dangerous dont know whathe hell that means. thnaks

------------------
92' camaro
Soon to come!!!

Other car;
1971 plymouth Duster