Aftermarket Product Review Provide questions and answers about aftermarket parts for the Third Generation F-Body.

Mechanical Fuel Pumps-one vs two fuel lines

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2010, 03:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1985 Base Firebird, Emissions Free
Engine: 305 Standard Bore, 4BLL Edelbrock,
Transmission: 700R4, Hydraulic Overspeed
Axle/Gears: Factory
Mechanical Fuel Pumps-one vs two fuel lines

Newbie to the Third Gen forum. I'm ground up restoring a 1985 base 5.0 L firebird (ECM/4 BLL Carb) to an emission's free street machine (going with Edelbrock Performer manifold and 1706 carb). Original GM mechanical fuel pump has two lines into it from the tank, one for fuel in and the other for vapor out to the tank (? providing tank pressure). The gen three firebird fuel tanks have four fuel lines out, two as above to/from the fuel pump, and two more to/from the charcoal fuel cannister (tank vapors sucked into the cannister and returned to the tank to control emmissions and maintain tank pressure all under ECM control). Since I'm trashing the entire ECM system, I've removed the cannister entirely and plugged both those vapor lines. I also plan to use a vented tank gas cap to relieve tank pressure but I don't know which mechanical fuel pump I should use.....i.e. a standard one line in pump (plugging off the old return vapor line), or a newer, two line mechanical pump, leaving the vapor return to the tank (and risking excess tank pressure build-up), assuming that tank pressure should be relieved by venting through the gas cap. Any suggestions out there?
Old 12-14-2010, 03:09 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 1984 Z28 Hardtop
Engine: 383 Carb
Transmission: 4L60
Axle/Gears: 3.54 Dana 44
Re: Mechanical Fuel Pumps-one vs two fuel lines

The second pump line is a solid fuel return line, not a vapour line. Return style fuel systems maintain more constant fuel temperatures.
Old 12-14-2010, 04:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1985 Base Firebird, Emissions Free
Engine: 305 Standard Bore, 4BLL Edelbrock,
Transmission: 700R4, Hydraulic Overspeed
Axle/Gears: Factory
Re: Mechanical Fuel Pumps-one vs two fuel lines

My sincere thanks to Apeiron......that is incredibly informative (and not at all well-explained in either Haynes or Chilton manuals)! It also fully explains why I got a mouthful of liguid gasoline when I sucked on what I thought was the vapor return line (I thought my pump was bad). Most importantly, it also suggests that the return line should not in any way increase pressure in the fuel tank, as it is simply returning whatever gas has been pumped out of the tank but not used in the carb (actually probably leaving a slight negative tank pressure during engine operation, easily normalized by a vented gas cap. I'll guess I'll stick with a new dual line mechanical fuel pump unless anyone knows of other advantages to the fancy new single line pumps (with the return line capped off of course).