Aftermarket Product Review Provide questions and answers about aftermarket parts for the Third Generation F-Body.

which shocks????

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2002, 09:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1987 IROC-Z
Engine: Carbed 355
Transmission: TH-350
which shocks????

I didnt get an answer from the suspesion board so i thought this board might get me somthing. well i am redoing my whole suspension and i was wondering which shocks and stuts to get. also is it worth it to replace my panhard bar. it is the stock bar and does it make that big of a difference. Thanks
Old 01-13-2002, 10:17 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That's a tough question to answer in a "vacuum". Are you looking for straightline performance or do you want good handling? The reality is that, armed with knowing what you want, you'd be best served to learn what the dampening and rebound rates do to the car. The best place to learn this (that I have been able to find) is the Koni website at www.koni-na.com This web site is kinda clunky, but there are technical descriptions of what shocks do and adjustment procedures (for adjustable shocks) for drag, circle track, and road racing. These technical descriptions and procedures are often buried in PDF files on their site.

What you could do, is read up on these topics, figure out what damp/rebound rates that you want based on the behavior that they provide, then use these shock rates to evaluate various brands of shocks based on what you want.

By the way, I ended up buying the Koni Sport Adjustables for my IROC. I wanted handling for autocrossing and occasional open track days at road racing courses. The ride is awful on the street and it hurt my traction on hard acceleration (little weight transfer because the ride is so stiff), but this was the compromise that I settled on for my requirements.

Good luck.
Old 01-13-2002, 09:53 PM
Supreme Member

probably no answer because if you do a search you'll find all your info.

the most important part is your budget, then what you expect from it all.........

here is a list of what i have:

bilstein shocks an struts (remarkably cheaply priced if you know where to look)
Eibach pro-kit(modified)
kennybrown LCA's and 2-way APR
1-LE swaybars
energy suspension swaybar end links
southwest concepts(MAC) subframe connectors.

with this combination the car handles perfect on the street and works remarkably well at the strip........i would definately recommend the setup to everyone as well as so has everyone who has ridden in the car. 200% better than it was with the stock equipment and definately nicer than any new f-body.

if i could change anything, i would prefer to have kennybrown subframe connectors, but my current exhaust setup wouldn't allow for it.

Last edited by Kandied91z; 01-13-2002 at 10:00 PM.
Old 01-17-2002, 04:21 PM

Car: 1987 IROC-Z
Engine: Carbed 355
Transmission: TH-350
Where would the best place to find bilstein shocks be. price wise. thanks.
Old 01-17-2002, 07:06 PM

Don't overlook KYB's very good price. The gas-adjust shocks are cheap but heard they do well. I personally got the AGX struts and shocks for my 1LE car. I also put on a Eibach Pro kit at the same time and the combo made world of difference even with bald tires and the shocks not dialed in properly. It's a pity the car is stored till May. I miss it.
Old 01-18-2002, 02:23 AM
Supreme Member

check out lingenfelter.......... very good price on the setup.
Old 01-28-2002, 04:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
best bang for the buck.. KYB's... konis ive heard arent as good every day unless properly adjusted.. being that are meant more for the racing apps.. bilstiens are phenomenal.. i dont have them on my car but a friend of mine has em in his car.. and they are awesome... but the KYBs made a world of difference and for half the price of the Bilstiens i was quite happy...

www.shox.com

they will give ya quotes on all models u ask for... check it out..
Old 01-29-2002, 03:51 PM

I have to agree with the KYB's I did the shocks and struts, the car feels new, and boy does it love thoses cornors, did my springs also while everything was apart, think suspension tech? lowered about 1 1/2 2"