Aftermarket Vendor Review Provide questions and comments about aftermarket part vendors for the Third Gen F-Body.

hawks third gen

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2007, 06:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1992 trans am tpi 350
Engine: tpi 350
Transmission: 700R4
hawks third gen

i ordered the ram air 1 hood for my car hood looks very good no broken pieces or dents anywhere on it hood fit on with the only problem of lineing everything up still havent done the fenders completely but probably the easiest install if done to the body so far. and it got here alot quicker than i though. I give them an A+ on service and quality
Old 03-05-2007, 06:51 PM

Until there website gets improved cause the layout is terrible now, and there prices go down, ill never order from them
Old 03-05-2007, 07:41 PM

I got my 4th gen hood from them 3 years ago & agree the part was in excellent condition & they even advised me to examine it 1st before signing for it to make sure it was not damaged. However I also agree, that since they changed their web site, it has gone from good to bad. It was better before their "update."
Old 03-28-2007, 08:46 PM

Car: 1989 Trans Am
Engine: 5.0 TPI
Transmission: 5 Speed Manual
Axle/Gears: Stock Rear End
Re: hawks third gen

they seem like a good company and their customer service is through the roof with email responses but the shipping prices are in that hole in the ceiling too. i guess its supply and demand at its finest
Old 04-01-2007, 09:25 AM
On Probation

Car: 2002 Formula
Engine: 5.7 LS1

I purchased the door panels for my Firebird. They are garbage. Cheaply made, cheap material stapled to cardboard. In the pic it show it cut out. In reality it just a big piece of cardboard and you have to cut everything out yourself. They are not even the right ones and no clips on back. I know Hawks didnt make this, but thats no excuse for selling junk. Havent called yet, the car is still getting motor in. I want to see if the will even fit. 149.00 would have brought a lot of interior parts at pic and pull.
Old 04-01-2007, 09:30 AM

i orederd the exact same thing, black door pannels and they were very poorly made, not cut out, and they gave me no clips. also they took over 2 MONTHS TO SHIP!!! needless to say i wont order from them again.
Old 04-01-2007, 09:38 AM

Car: 1989 Pontiac Trans Am GTA
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 3.23 9 bolt

I have ordered a long list of items through hawks Ram air hood, 4th gen wing, headliner, door panels, window motors, carpet, hood liner and the list goes on. I am very happy with their services rendered. I would definetely deal with them again and mroe than likely just over the phone. That way they know exactly what i want.
Old 04-03-2007, 05:38 PM
On Probation

I am not saying they were slow(only took 5 weeks) or I wouldnt do business with them(I wouldnt because of the qaulity control) I am saying there door panels are trash. It is cheap material stapled to a piece of cardboard. The hole havent even been cut out.
Old 04-03-2007, 06:29 PM

haha, its unbelievable how aftermarket parts for our interiors are pieces of ****, why the **** cant they just make it quality **** im so tired of garbage, have to make everything yourself.
Old 04-11-2007, 02:20 PM

Car: 84 Camaro Berlinetta
Engine: 350 4-bbl
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.73

I will never ever order anything from Hawks 3 third Gen again!! First it took them 2 weeks to get a hood to me from S.C. to N.C.I ordered . It would have been longer if I had not called to inquire about my order. Then when I got the SS hood it did not fit well at all. The hood was bowed up bad on the drivers side and it looked like my hood was not closed at all. Called them for a Refund or Exchange and I was told I had to send pics. So now I'm pissed but I send him pics and have heard nothing from them. It's been 3 weeks now an no contact what so ever! I will never buy anything from this company again !!!! I spent $415 and $78 S/H for a "bowflex hood" !! Still pissed!!
Old 04-11-2007, 03:20 PM
TGO Supporter

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 85 IROC-Z / 88 GTA
Engine: 403 LSx (Pending) / 355 Tuned Port
Transmission: T56 Magnum (Pending) / T5
Axle/Gears: 3.42 / ?

Originally Posted by 83Chevy__Camaro
haha, its unbelievable how aftermarket parts for our interiors are pieces of ****, why the **** cant they just make it quality **** im so tired of garbage, have to make everything yourself.
Because nobody is willing to pay for it. Even in this thread most of the people are complaining about the prices of everything. Every time somebody sticks their neck out and fills a parts void, people complain about the price. Thirdgenners are very cheap, and as a result, so are a lot of the aftermarket parts that are available.

Another issue is that people's expectations of aftermarket parts. People expect a clone of the original product and don't seem willing to take a little initiative when it comes to making aftermarket parts fit. The reality is that most aftermarket parts aren't a perfect bolt-on, and those that are, cost big bucks. These door panels are a perfect example. They aren't a stock piece. They're an affordable aftermarket reproduction. The buyer should always expect a little bit of work. Coming as one piece without the cutouts is what keeps the door panel affordable. If they had to pay somebody to cut it out, and to require different procedures for all of the variations, the costs would go way up and people would complain. It takes very little effort to cut these out yourself, and also gives you a huge benefit if you have any sort of customization that may require a different configuration, like for instance, guys with roll bars who don't use arm rests.

For those who want the best quality available, there is no shortage of upholstery shops that can create a fantastic door panel for you, but once you see what that costs, you'll realize that $150 for a set of aftermarket door panels that require minor work to install is a hell of a deal.
Old 04-11-2007, 03:50 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 1992 Camaro RS
Engine: Yet another 350 TPI
Transmission: Borg Warner 6 spd

I couldn't agree more with Jim. Seems like everyone wants things cheap, and when it comes to interior parts specifically, they usually want an OEM replica as well. I'm sure if the door panels in question came with the holes precut, someone would be complaining as well, wishing they weren't precut.
Old 04-11-2007, 04:24 PM

Car: 83 camaro
Engine: 383 stroker
Transmission: TCI 3spd manual

yeah ill agree that alot of us third genners are cheap. Thats must be why we all rely on fabricating so much, But i think most have a reason too. I dunno if i just noticed this, but when I look up a price for a 82-92 camaro part, its always more expensive than the same part for all the other years of cars. But yeah, i expect Top quality if im paying Top dollar

Last edited by urmomshot77; 04-11-2007 at 05:12 PM.
Old 04-11-2007, 05:01 PM
On Probation

Well, I didnt buy the panels because they were cheap. Also, I didnt complain about the price. Also, with the price of repairs and parts, thirds are definitly not a "cheap" car. If I wanted a "cheap" car I would drive a 4 cyl toyota. Dont show a pic of a product and send out a diffrent product.
Old 04-11-2007, 05:46 PM

Car: 83 Firebird
Engine: 305
Transmission: 2004r
Axle/Gears: 10 bolt posi 3.08

Originally Posted by Jim85IROC
Because nobody is willing to pay for it. Even in this thread most of the people are complaining about the prices of everything. Every time somebody sticks their neck out and fills a parts void, people complain about the price. Thirdgenners are very cheap, and as a result, so are a lot of the aftermarket parts that are available.

Another issue is that people's expectations of aftermarket parts. People expect a clone of the original product and don't seem willing to take a little initiative when it comes to making aftermarket parts fit. The reality is that most aftermarket parts aren't a perfect bolt-on, and those that are, cost big bucks. These door panels are a perfect example. They aren't a stock piece. They're an affordable aftermarket reproduction. The buyer should always expect a little bit of work. Coming as one piece without the cutouts is what keeps the door panel affordable. If they had to pay somebody to cut it out, and to require different procedures for all of the variations, the costs would go way up and people would complain. It takes very little effort to cut these out yourself, and also gives you a huge benefit if you have any sort of customization that may require a different configuration, like for instance, guys with roll bars who don't use arm rests.

For those who want the best quality available, there is no shortage of upholstery shops that can create a fantastic door panel for you, but once you see what that costs, you'll realize that $150 for a set of aftermarket door panels that require minor work to install is a hell of a deal.

You Know I could agree with this more, I have the same thing in Buick's. I have to say, I LOVE thirdgen cause of all the aftermarket products that are offered, I can replace alost anything, plus TONS of cool add ons and almost everything interchanges with everything else, ITS GREAT!!!

My 67 Skylark, has hardly ANY items that are reproduced, fenders alone are from 250 ea. in crap condition to 750 for an OEM. Here I can drive almost anywhere, and find parts for my 82 Bird and upgrade/change anything I want, and get it.

I can see some of you guys arguement, but to be honest, I say be thankful its not a aston martin, buick, Austin Healey type auto, and have to make or deal with costly bodywork on EVERYTHING you do to your car.

I personally have not dealt with these guys, but they make some very nice items, and I would be happy to check em out, also remember, if you do not voice your opinions to THEM nothing will get done, bitching here will only make you madder and not get your problem fixed..
I have a bad temper, especially when I feel I have been screwed, so I live by " You get more Bees with honey than vinegar"
Nuff said..
Old 04-12-2007, 06:59 PM
Supreme Member

Received 239 Likes on 179 Posts
Car: 1987 Formula (original owner)
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 9-bolt/3.45

No complaints here. The customer service I've gotten from Hawk's has been excellent+!!!

I happen to talk to them today. And both Ginny(or Jenny, hard to tell with her SC accent, though to her, I'm the one who prolly had the accent, lol ) and Stacy were great! Each went out of her way to answer questions and make sure they had what I was looking for.

Yeah, I'm sure they sell some lesser-quality products, but they're one of the few companies that still sells new GM products, too, which are getting hard to find and are definitely not 'cheap,' and that's what I'm looking for.

So with Hawk's you can take your pick... but you do get what you pay for.
Old 04-13-2007, 02:02 PM

do they manufacture their products?