Aftermarket Vendor Review Provide questions and comments about aftermarket part vendors for the Third Gen F-Body.

Update On classic Industries

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2012, 10:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 90 IROC-Z
Engine: LB9
Transmission: M5 5spd
Axle/Gears: 3.42 POSI
Update On classic Industries

I bought a ABS headliner for my IROC in December, and in April it started coming apart from the ABS and falling on my head and the passengers. I have called them every week since May 1st and all I get is the run around.

I hve bought thousands of dollars in parts for my IROC and my 70 Z-28 and I am ready to not use them at all. Any suggestons would be appricated.

On 6-12 I called Classic Indrusties to talk to a Manager and was told one would call me back. Sure enough I recieved a call from a gentelman Named Brian Levine. I told him the issue with the many calls and never a response back. He looked in to it and called me a day or so later and said the MFG is making you a new one and it will ship out Wednesday. I recieved the new one on Firday the 15th. I talked to him yesterday and I am sending a piece ot the old one back where the issues were. Brian assured me that the sales staff involved were talked to about the issue. I am very pleased with Brian form Classic Industries.

Just to let you all know hed did ask me if I posted in a blog, I said no but got to thinking about it and thought maybe he is talking about my post on the forum. Brian read my post personally so Yes for you guys who think people are full of BS when they say they were contacted by the company it's true.

Thank You so much Brian for all your help in this matter, it has restored my faith in your company. I will continue to do business with Classic Industries int the future with my IROC build. Thanks again Mark.

Last edited by 90IROC1; 06-20-2012 at 12:13 PM. Reason: Problem taken care of
Old 06-10-2012, 07:08 PM

Car: 92 trans am ws6
Engine: LT1
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 3.42 ls1 rear end posi
Re: BEWARE CLASSIC INDUSTRIES BAD SERVICE

i think you should just tell them wat u posted
Old 06-10-2012, 07:43 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1986 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z28
Engine: TPI 310ci (LB9)
Transmission: Custom Rebuilt 700R4 - 2600 Stall
Axle/Gears: 10 bolt, 3.73 Eaton Limited-Slip

Odd.. My ABS headliner (t-top version) still is like I installed it in 2009, but I got it from Hawks.. But I think it's the same company so it should not be falling apart.
Old 06-10-2012, 08:27 PM
Supreme Member

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Car: '89 RS, '89 Iroc
Engine: L03, LB9
Transmission: 700r4, T5
Axle/Gears: 2.73, 3.08

i bought an uncovered one for just that reason, im done with sagging/falling apart, thats why i wanted ABS
Old 06-11-2012, 10:01 AM

Mine is a hard top, and it seems they used a cheap glue or the wrong kind because it falls down in both front corners. I have expressed this to them I think it's time to talk to management.
Old 06-11-2012, 11:07 AM
Supreme Member

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Car: '89 RS, '89 Iroc
Engine: L03, LB9
Transmission: 700r4, T5
Axle/Gears: 2.73, 3.08

I would, I do not know what their policy is on installed items, but it sounds clear that it's a defect, unless you really bent your corners good when trying to install
Old 06-12-2012, 11:47 AM

Received 56 Likes on 39 Posts

Classic Ind does have horrible service....and their catalogs are sometimes wrong...and they will not own up to it.

I bought all the fuel lines and the sending unit for my 85 from them. Two of the lines were totally wrong, not from a third gen and the sending unit was wrong also. I sent them back and told them the catalog listed them wrong. They said they would look into it...Right!...they charged me a 20% restocking fee ($100!!!!)....... Never, Never again will i order there....
Old 06-12-2012, 09:41 PM

Car: 92 z 28
Engine: 5.7

I too had bought a headliner from Classic and it fit perfect ! maybe when you installed it you bent the ends and the material separated ! They have always stood behind the products i Bought from them , the last time I had an issue with console lid that had me send a photo showing the issue and then they replaced the part no questions and they told me to throw out the old one out ! That's good service . I believe they will take care of you !
Old 06-20-2012, 12:40 PM

Re: Update On classic Industries

ttt
Old 06-20-2012, 06:55 PM
Supreme Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Car: 1983 BB 1995 Z28 Camaro's
Engine: 454-350
Transmission: TH350-4l60e
Axle/Gears: 373 posi-Stock

6 of one and half a dozen of the other?
Old 07-02-2012, 11:27 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by erik69&85
Classic Ind does have horrible service....and their catalogs are sometimes wrong...and they will not own up to it.

I bought all the fuel lines and the sending unit for my 85 from them. Two of the lines were totally wrong, not from a third gen and the sending unit was wrong also. I sent them back and told them the catalog listed them wrong. They said they would look into it...Right!...they charged me a 20% restocking fee ($100!!!!)....... Never, Never again will i order there....
Hi erik69&85,

PM sent. Please respond and we will investigate the issue and come to a mutually agreeable resolution.

Thanks.

Classic1
Old 07-24-2012, 07:01 PM

Received 28 Likes on 15 Posts
Car: 1990 IROC-Z
Engine: 350/IRON DART 200
Transmission: POWERGLIDE
Axle/Gears: MOSER 12 BOLT 4.88

I need a headliner for my 1984 Z28 briar brown...Who should I use?

Thanks
Frank
Old 07-26-2012, 01:10 PM
Former Sponsor

Hi Frank,

The original headliner design has an inherent design flaw that shows itself over time. This design causes the material to separate from the board and sag due to aging of the glue and foam. There are a variety of products available to you to cure the problem depending on how you choose to approach the issue and what your desired results are. There is a replacement style headliner that eliminates the board and instead utilizes headliner bows which results in a "retrofit" scenario. By eliminating the board altogether, this product was designed to prevent the sagging problem that occurs when the material can separate from the board. There is also a "scrape and cover" style headliner which is designed for the do-it-yourselfer to re-use the old board, scrape off the old foam and glue new material onto your existing board. Finally, there is also an original style replacement which includes a new board with the material already glued on. A variety of materials, grains and colors are available depending on your desired results. Should you decide to do the glue-it-yourself method, you need to be sure that the glue used is strong enough to hold and withstand the high temps that headliners can be subjected to. With today's strict environmental laws, it is getting increasingly difficult to find an adhesive that is strong enough to hold up, especially if you are in California which is known to have the strictest guidelines on solvent and glue usage. We hope this provides some food for thought as you make your decision on which route to take. Please let us know if you require any additional assistance and good luck with your project.

Classic Industries
Old 07-26-2012, 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by Classic1
Hi Frank,

The original headliner design has an inherent design flaw that shows itself over time. This design causes the material to separate from the board and sag due to aging of the glue and foam. There are a variety of products available to you to cure the problem depending on how you choose to approach the issue and what your desired results are. There is a replacement style headliner that eliminates the board and instead utilizes headliner bows which results in a "retrofit" scenario. By eliminating the board altogether, this product was designed to prevent the sagging problem that occurs when the material can separate from the board. There is also a "scrape and cover" style headliner which is designed for the do-it-yourselfer to re-use the old board, scrape off the old foam and glue new material onto your existing board. Finally, there is also an original style replacement which includes a new board with the material already glued on. A variety of materials, grains and colors are available depending on your desired results. Should you decide to do the glue-it-yourself method, you need to be sure that the glue used is strong enough to hold and withstand the high temps that headliners can be subjected to. With today's strict environmental laws, it is getting increasingly difficult to find an adhesive that is strong enough to hold up, especially if you are in California which is known to have the strictest guidelines on solvent and glue usage. We hope this provides some food for thought as you make your decision on which route to take. Please let us know if you require any additional assistance and good luck with your project.

Classic Industries

Thank for your reply...How much is a new headliner with board and how well will color match? My car has 12,000 miles and has spent all its life in garage so interior color looks like new with no fading.

Thanks Frank
Old 07-26-2012, 07:29 PM
Former Sponsor

Hi Frank,

Can you post a picture of your headliner here so we can get a better idea of the color and material of your original? If so, then we will compare to the various materials available and try to suggest the best match for you.

Thanks,

Classic Industries
Old 07-27-2012, 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by Classic1
Hi Frank,

Can you post a picture of your headliner here so we can get a better idea of the color and material of your original? If so, then we will compare to the various materials available and try to suggest the best match for you.

Thanks,

Classic Industries

I have a picture of sunvisor and interior...hope this helps.

Thanks
Frank
Attached Thumbnails Update On classic Industries-2012-07-26-23.07.34.jpg   Update On classic Industries-img_4078.jpg  
Old 07-27-2012, 09:03 PM
Former Sponsor

Hi Frank,

This is the link to the briar brown reproduction headliner for solid roof vehicles.

This is the link to the briar brown reproduction headliner for t-top vehicles.

This is the link to the material if you choose to recover your original headliner and sail panels.

And, this is the link to the headliner material, sail panel and visor cover set in case you decide to redo all at once to ensure everything matches.

If color is critical, we suggest you call customer service and request a swatch beforehand because there can be up to a 10% variance in dye lots and shades can vary slightly from OE to reproduction. Hope this helps. Please let us know if we can be of any further assistance.

Regards,

Classic Industries