Aftermarket Vendor Review Provide questions and comments about aftermarket part vendors for the Third Gen F-Body.

BF Goodrich Tire warranty

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2014, 10:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1984 Camaro Z28 H.O.
Engine: 5.0. L69
Transmission: Automatic
Axle/Gears: 9 bolt disc 3.27 Posi
BF Goodrich Tire warranty

So I needed tires and knew BF Goodrich made the right size since I wanted go with stock. Well, I bought 4 new tires and after 100 or less miles I got a bubble in one of them from no fault of my own. I called them to let them know because they're supposed to be under warranty. It turned out to be such a hassle and a run around, I just found another tire and cut my losses. I kinda wish I went with another tire company. The tires are fine but trying to get them to make good on the warranty is a nightmare.
Old 04-01-2014, 07:39 AM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1985 Trans Am T-Top
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: T-5 5 Speed
Axle/Gears: 3.42 posi 1LE 10 bolt
Re: BF Goodrich Tire warranty

What was the runaround?
I'm sure they wanted sone kind of documentation of the problem.
Old 04-01-2014, 11:51 AM

What happened was after I called BF Goodrich they told me to take my car to a local tire store who sells BFG tires for them to examine the tire. I did that and called BFG to let them know I did and they tell me that although they sell BFG tires they can't do warranty work. Ok, so off to the next place but not that same day. I have to go to another tire store. The owner of that store looked at my car/tire and told me he will get in touch with BFG to let them know that he thinks the tire is defective. Anyway, a week goes by and no one calls me back so I call BFG and they tell me they have not heard anything about me taking my car to be looked at and that he'll call me back the next day once they sort things out. The next day comes and nothing happens so I call them, the BFG rep tells me I have to take my car back again to the same place because they will need to remove my tire to examine it a little closer, why didn't they tell me this the first time I took it there? Keep in mind that there wasn't a mark on the tire from damage + my car sits in the garage all the time, the store owner saw this the first time I was there. To him it was like looking at a new car and 4 brand new tires, my car is clean and he knew it. They should have just taken care of this the first time around so that they didn't waste my time. I never took it back the second time because, 1 I don't have time to play games and 2 they still may not have replaced my tire and tried to blame me for it. Trust me, the tire was defective. It still had the nipples on it from barley any use. The next time I buy tires I'm just gonna go with someone else. If this ever happens to anyone else I'm pretty sure BF Goodrich will try and get out of helping by making it difficult. I just want other TGO members to know what to expect.

Last edited by I'llrocya; 04-01-2014 at 04:49 PM.
Old 04-01-2014, 02:15 PM
Supreme Member

Received 86 Likes on 81 Posts
Car: 92 Lingenfelter Z28 articwhite
Engine: Aluminum 615BBC
Transmission: Th400wbrake/curri entps9" locker
Axle/Gears: 4.11/4.30/4.56

This must have been mail order tires...as any shop who sells and installs tires would have replaced the tire under warranty..and BIG would have never even been called.

If you did buy them in your city/town and they told you to call BFG .then they gave you the brush off....

It takes time to do the warrenty thing when we do mail order tires...
Getting a knot in the side wall. On new tires most of the time.. is just a bad tire... without any marks they should have told you that...iv seen 6 or 7 tires do that over the years..never had any prob. Getting a new tire.
Who did you get the tires from?

Last edited by articwhiteZ; 04-01-2014 at 02:21 PM.
Old 04-01-2014, 04:00 PM

Thanks for the info, I really didn't think this was going to be necessary that I have to explain this but I'm a licensed car dealer and have been for 20+ years. I don't mail order tires. I walked into one of my parts distributors through the back door and handed them a company check and left with my tires. They were going to replace the one tire for free and eat it but I didn't want them to do that. It was was a bad tire, thats it. And you know what, maybe I could have gone to every place they wanted me to go three or more times but I'm busy.

Last edited by I'llrocya; 04-01-2014 at 04:50 PM.
Old 04-01-2014, 04:05 PM

Funny thing is, the original big name place I bought the tires from no longer sells BF Goodrich.
Old 04-01-2014, 06:54 PM
Supreme Member

Received 86 Likes on 81 Posts
Car: 92 Lingenfelter Z28 articwhite
Engine: Aluminum 615BBC
Transmission: Th400wbrake/curri entps9" locker
Axle/Gears: 4.11/4.30/4.56

Originally Posted by I'llrocya
Thanks for the info, I really didn't think this was going to be necessary that I have to explain this but I'm a licensed car dealer and have been for 20+ years. I don't mail order tires. I walked into one of my parts distributors through the back door and handed them a company check and left with my tires. They were going to replace the one tire for free and eat it but I didn't want them to do that. It was was a bad tire, thats it. And you know what, maybe I could have gone to every place they wanted me to go three or more times but I'm busy.
well there ya go..
nobody who sells tires will eat a bad tire.. they will get there money back.
from the tire distributor...comes off there bill. when i worked for ford.doing the firestone recall. ford had to buy tires from everyone..we would get tires that we would not want to use. and ea month when the truck showed up with more tires. the bad ones would come off the invoice. most of the time they did not even want them back..
by the way..i have a life time supply of firestone tires in the 235/75/15 for my S-10 4X4..LOL(NOT JOKING)

should have just let them give you a new tire. if they did not get there money back..then they did not ask for it....
even when the super shops (now out of biss) they always had stacks of tires. and would sell them off as blems.
same with starters. batterys.any car part..
they always have time to sit on the bad parts..that what a good biss dose.for it's customer's

Last edited by articwhiteZ; 04-01-2014 at 07:02 PM.
Old 04-01-2014, 07:31 PM
Supreme Member

Received 753 Likes on 579 Posts
Car: 1988 Trans Am
Engine: L03
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 10 Bolt 2.73 Open

Sorry to hear about this. I had some trouble with one of my BFGs a few years ago, and the selling dealer handled all of it for me...called BFG, got the adjustment, handled the whole deal. I chipped a few dollars into the deal because I had some miles on the tire.
Old 04-01-2014, 07:55 PM

My parts place told me to find a new tire somewhere else buy it and they would reimburse me because they stopped selling BF Goodrich. Thats when I decided to call BFG myself just to see what they would do about it. Thats when the bad customer service started. keep in mind there was a few months between buying the original tires and when the bubble developed and getting a new tire. My car sits most of the time, I've never used it as an everyday car, ever. So yeah, no problem with my parts distributor, they were happy to help. I don't have an issue with them.
Old 04-01-2014, 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by DynoDave43
Sorry to hear about this. I had some trouble with one of my BFGs a few years ago, and the selling dealer handled all of it for me...called BFG, got the adjustment, handled the whole deal. I chipped a few dollars into the deal because I had some miles on the tire.
In your case, that seems normal. I can see this happening and probably happens a lot. It sucks when it does, in my case BFG should have been willing to help not make it worse. I've delt with them in the past just not like this.
Old 04-02-2014, 08:14 PM
Supreme Member

Received 64 Likes on 57 Posts
Car: 1 Owner 1986 TA with a WS6 package
Engine: 5.0 EFI
Transmission: THM700R4
Axle/Gears: 277 Posi Speedo

Is that the same tire that went flat at the meet??
Old 04-02-2014, 09:20 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Car: 1985 Camaro SC F41
Engine: ZZ4
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 3.42 Posi

It sounds like place number 2 dropped the ball and not necessarily BFG. It's not unreasonable for the manufacturer to want to inspect the product.
Old 04-03-2014, 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by mantaguy
Is that the same tire that went flat at the meet??
Those were the tires but not the one that went flat. All this happened a few months ago. Remember I had a new tire with the blue still on it, it was that tire.
Old 04-03-2014, 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by hillntx
It sounds like place number 2 dropped the ball and not necessarily BFG. It's not unreasonable for the manufacturer to want to inspect the product.
Place number 2 helped me by reimbursing me. They had stopped selling BFG tires by the time I went back so they couldn't just hand me a new tire, I understand that and I'm OK with it. I also understand BFG wanted someone to inspect the tire but they made me go to 2 different places and then wanted me to go back to one of them again. You know, go back to a place I'd already went to to have them re-look at the tire for a second, so thats 3 times. Keep in mind and I told BFG that my car is not easy to get to when it's put away for the winter. It's not like I can just stop by after work on my way home. I'm gonna tell you just like I told BFG, the tire was defective, an authorized dealer looked at, please replace it already. I didn't hit any potholes. I baby the car.